Obesity and Airlines

Cup Lion

Regarding the overweight aircraft... yes it can be a problem. Before takeoff, pilots do many calculations involving the weight of the aircraft. One of the most important is calculation what the speed of the aircraft should be at when upon approach and landing. Either a fast or slow landing could result in a hard landing, even a crash.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need more policies like this. Mybe now some people will actually get off their [wagon]. Whenever I hit 105 IB., I make a few laps around town. Maybe more people will do the same.

105lb? How tall are you?

jjroxlu7.jpg

Being obese is not always a choice. In fact, many obese people have it in their genes, or were fed the wrong things when they were too young to decide. For some, it's unavoidable. That being said, I do support this rule eventhough it's morally wrong (for me). I do not like the idea of completley humilating someone like that, especially humiliating someone over something they probably already feel bad about. Logically though, it makes sense. Depriving someone else of a seat they payed for because of a problem you have (even if it's not your fault) causes a lot of issues. If a person pays for the amount of space they need, it's no longer a issue.

I has a response.

At my school, the cafeteria serves cookies (yes, cookies, like we're 3 years old :roll:). There's this one obese girl older than me. One day I see her come out with 3 cookies. Being obese is entirely her choice. She didn't have to have 3 cookies, but she choose to. Obesity is your choice and/or laziness. Plus, you could diet.

Alright, I'm going to settle the argument of "their fault or not" once and for all.

Much like you said, there is a really, Really, REALLY, obese girl in my lunch period. I would estimate 5 feet left to right, 3 feet front to bach. And about 3 feet tall. HUGE. The other day I see her walk out with:

1. Cake.

9. That's right, NINE, cupcakes.

5. Brownies.

3. Gigantic, chocolate and icing covered sugar cookies.

1. Custard-filled muffin.

Her response to a lunch lady?

Her: I was just born this way, it's genetic.

Lunch Lady: Well what about excersise?

Her: It wouldn't work.

LL: Have you tried?

Her: No, I told you, it's genetic.

#-o

You are not alone, I'm pretty sure staff isn't supposed to comment on weight :-#

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

We need more policies like this. Mybe now some people will actually get off their [wagon]. Whenever I hit 105 IB., I make a few laps around town. Maybe more people will do the same.

105lb? How tall are you?

Unless someone posts first, this will probably turn out to be a double post, but I'm 5-5.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Regarding the overweight aircraft... yes it can be a problem. Before takeoff, pilots do many calculations involving the weight of the aircraft. One of the most important is calculation what the speed of the aircraft should be at when upon approach and landing. Either a fast or slow landing could result in a hard landing, even a crash.

Thats why they do the calculations. Each flight is different so there isn't one definible forumla. If the plane crashes it is not the fat people's fault but the pilots for making a bad calculation. I don't see how this is a problem regarding the fat people.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Actually, that is comparing human lives with material possesion. One is opinion, the other is not. The way I see it, I'm paying for the flight there not the pressure I'm making upon the engines. How much more stress can fat flesh give anyway? I don't think its a whole lot to charge double for.

Engines don't care about whether the weight they're lifting is inanimate material or flesh. Weight is weight. In much the same vein, space on an aircraft doesn't care what's taking it up - something is taking up space.

When an unreasonably fat person takes up enough space to cause discomfort to other passengers, they are taking up more space than they paid for. The cost of a ticket is not simply for the flight. There are costs that airlines pass on to their customers to cover beyond the simple service charge: maintenance, fuel, catering, etc. Essentially, when you buy a ticket, you are paying for the fuel, food and space that you take up on the company's aircraft. When you take more than what is reasonable, given what you paid for - and there are allowances there already, given that there are fat people who can fit in their seats without discomforting others - then perhaps you should be paying extra. The additional 40kg or so that you could really do without is essentially 40kg of dead weight that you haven't paid the airline to lift for you.

Furthermore, airlines would much prefer it if their passengers had a minimum of negative experiences on their flights, for obvious business reasons.

When you take more than what is reasonable,

I see where you're coming from, and you have a good point with the setence above. I pay the ticket for the flight but the airlines manage that cash for their costs which is the same as what you say...regardless, you're right... That extra 40lbs is useless 40lbs.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Thats why they do the calculations. Each flight is different so there isn't one definible forumla. If the plane crashes it is not the fat people's fault but the pilots for making a bad calculation. I don't see how this is a problem regarding the fat people.

The thing is, pilots use a generic number for each passenger and their baggage- they don't calculate how much each passenger weighs exactly, nor the weight of the baggage they put on the plane. Eventually, that generic number will rise, and I'll bet we have a few weight related incidents before the FAA gets around to upping it.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

The way I see it, I'm paying for the flight there not the pressure I'm making upon the engines. How much more stress can fat flesh give anyway? I don't think its a whole lot to charge double for.

The way I see it, I'm paying for my flight too and personally, I don't want to be a pregnant woman needing to go to the bathroom trapped behind someone's fat [wagon]. Call me selfish but I'd rather you pay extra and have two seats to yourself. You could lose weight before your holiday plans.

Not only that, where do you draw the line? An obese person? A seriously obese person who now weighs 300 kilos by non disease factors, ate themselves to death and is now asking airlines to make their seats bigger? Then has half a nerve to say they deserve a comfortable journey as well by making other airline users uncomfortable and skimping on airline costs? I can guarantee your flight would be much more comfortable if you lost weight!

Next they'll be angry because of the meal portion sizes and feel discriminated against...movie theater seats, large benches in shopping malls, extra room on their washing lines, larger sofa volume, think about it.

No offense but "I'm fat so everyone needs to accommodate my needs because I can't be stuffed to make myself healthier" doesn't sit with me.

If you're obese and deserve the best like everyone else then chances are you should start believing in yourself and GIVE YOURSELF the best, lose weight!

Not only that, maybe if it cost you $800 instead of $400 it will give you the motivation to do something about your situation.

Have a feeling not many people are going to like me after this post :D

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

[hide=]

Being obese is not always a choice. In fact, many obese people have it in their genes, or were fed the wrong things when they were too young to decide. For some, it's unavoidable. That being said, I do support this rule eventhough it's morally wrong (for me). I do not like the idea of completley humilating someone like that, especially humiliating someone over something they probably already feel bad about. Logically though, it makes sense. Depriving someone else of a seat they payed for because of a problem you have (even if it's not your fault) causes a lot of issues. If a person pays for the amount of space they need, it's no longer a issue.

I has a response.

At my school, the cafeteria serves cookies (yes, cookies, like we're 3 years old :roll:). There's this one obese girl older than me. One day I see her come out with 3 cookies. Being obese is entirely her choice. She didn't have to have 3 cookies, but she choose to. Obesity is your choice and/or laziness. Plus, you could diet.

Alright, I'm going to settle the argument of "their fault or not" once and for all.

Much like you said, there is a really, Really, REALLY, obese girl in my lunch period. I would estimate 5 feet left to right, 3 feet front to bach. And about 3 feet tall. HUGE. The other day I see her walk out with:

1. Cake.

9. That's right, NINE, cupcakes.

5. Brownies.

3. Gigantic, chocolate and icing covered sugar cookies.

1. Custard-filled muffin.

Her response to a lunch lady?

Her: I was just born this way, it's genetic.

Lunch Lady: Well what about excersise?

Her: It wouldn't work.

LL: Have you tried?

Her: No, I told you, it's genetic.

#-o

You are not alone, I'm pretty sure staff isn't supposed to comment on weight :-#

[/hide]

Wow. You cannot say it is every obese persons choice based off ONE example. That's just ridiculous. If you read my post after the one you quoted you would've seen that I understand that some people are obese because they don't care, but that doesn't apply to everyone. For the people who are obese for a uncontrollable reason, I know there is always the option for excercise. Have you ever considered that once a person gets to a level of obesity where they take up two seats, excerise may not be something they can just decide to start doing? I'm not saying that they shouldn't excerise at all, but its not easy to just decide to go out on a jog.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Paying $800 for my [wagon] to fit in two seats is enough motivation for me.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

That's not what I was getting at. It's not a motivation problem, it's logistical. I don't think a person that obese can begin exercising without the aide of another person, which is not always available.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Harsh but fair. If you take up two seats you pay for two seats. Likewise I have to pay extra if i take more baggage than allocated.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Mate trust me, people who want help get help. There is freaking loads of help available. People who make excuses for themselves don't get anywhere nor have a high success rate anyway.

igoddessIsig.png

[hide=Quote]

The way I see it, I'm paying for the flight there not the pressure I'm making upon the engines. How much more stress can fat flesh give anyway? I don't think its a whole lot to charge double for.

The way I see it, I'm paying for my flight too and personally, I don't want to be a pregnant woman needing to go to the bathroom trapped behind someone's fat [wagon]. Call me selfish but I'd rather you pay extra and have two seats to yourself. You could lose weight before your holiday plans.

Not only that, where do you draw the line? An obese person? A seriously obese person who now weighs 300 kilos by non disease factors, ate themselves to death and is now asking airlines to make their seats bigger? Then has half a nerve to say they deserve a comfortable journey as well by making other airline users uncomfortable and skimping on airline costs? I can guarantee your flight would be much more comfortable if you lost weight!

Next they'll be angry because of the meal portion sizes and feel discriminated against...movie theater seats, large benches in shopping malls, extra room on their washing lines, larger sofa volume, think about it.

No offense but "I'm fat so everyone needs to accommodate my needs because I can't be stuffed to make myself healthier" doesn't sit with me.

If you're obese and deserve the best like everyone else then chances are you should start believing in yourself and GIVE YOURSELF the best, lose weight!

Not only that, maybe if it cost you $800 instead of $400 it will give you the motivation to do something about your situation.

Have a feeling not many people are going to like me after this post :D

[/hide]

I do NOT believe I'm saying this but I agree.

Yes I am overweight ... And yes I'm doing things about it and have reasons for being overweight which I'm not going to go in to.

But I was on a flight and the guy in front of me just crushed me .. Hell it would have crushed even a healthy person and was bugger all done about him ...

But then theres the point you shouldnt charge over a little bit but when its taking up more than a large chunk .. If its a small part the person sat next to you is just being bloody fussy and should shut up.

If the person takes up two seats, then they should pay two tickets. It's not discrimination, it's just the fact that the person is taking up two seats and should pay for the amount of room that they're using.

My half sister had an experience where she was seated next to an obese man who probably took up half of her seat. Luckily the flight attendants were very accommodating and moved her to first class :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

There's a difference though. Like if you're fat (hell I'm not skinny but I'm also pregnant lol) I don't mind shuffling over a little, its no big deal. But when someone has me shoved against the other side of the glass, falls asleep, I need to pee asap before I do it in the seat NO THANK YOU! lol

Even if they were awake, man... the other day Some obese dude sat behind me in the theater and was coughing and wheezing and shoving his face with food the entire movie. It was my problem for not moving though, but it's not like you can do that on a plane lol

igoddessIsig.png

There's a difference though. Like if you're fat (hell I'm not skinny but I'm also pregnant lol) I don't mind shuffling over a little, its no big deal. But when someone has me shoved against the other side of the glass, falls asleep, I need to pee asap before I do it in the seat NO THANK YOU! lol

Even if they were awake, man... the other day Some obese dude sat behind me in the theater and was coughing and wheezing and shoving his face with food the entire movie. It was my problem for not moving though, but it's not like you can do that on a plane lol

All I'll say is I got kicked out the time that happened to me.

Mate trust me, people who want help get help. There is freaking loads of help available. People who make excuses for themselves don't get anywhere nor have a high success rate anyway.

I'm not condoning people making excuses, but you can't always just assume that a person isn't doing anything about their problem, or they are unwilling to. You don't know what the issue is with the person and what kind of situation they are in. This isn't about whether I think they should pay for another seat or not (I already stated that), this is about people generalising and assuming that obese people are the way they are because they "just don't care".

That's not what I was getting at. It's not a motivation problem, it's logistical. I don't think a person that obese can begin exercising without the aide of another person, which is not always available.

Diet? Everyone has the choice to drop the pizza and pick up an apple instead. They just decide that there's no point to lose weight if having weight doesn't penalize them. Well, it does now. Maybe now we'll have a better example for the children and maybe a healthier future.

I'm talking about extreme levels of obesesity, not just being a bit overweight. In extreme levels, its not that easy (like I exaplained earlier).

What do you mean having weight doesn't penalize people? Your body is going to hell and emotionally, it's hard for a lot of people. Many overweight people are depressed, which leads to more weight gain.

Then maybe they have to learn to cope with it (I'm not going to say get over it). We all have problems and we learn to deal with them and maybe they should take control of their lives. There are a lot worse problems than being obese and maybe they need to get help if they can't control themselves.

I'm not trying to be to harsh but obesity is supposed to be the least of our problems which it isn't. I blame companies like McDonalds and KFC and Burger King etc. for not caring about the customers health and only about the money. Sadly, that's our American capitalist ways :(

Yes, of course they have to cope with it. I was responding to you saying that being overweight doesn't have any natural penalization.