Obesity and Airlines

Cup Lion

Note to the posters. As a third degree brown belt and winner of five martial arts medals, I can tell you obesity is not all bad. Sure you might be slower than others and not fit super slim clothing, but the extra mass makes defeating slimmer players of equal skill level very easy. Even better, the extra padding makes you more resistant to injury. I also know that airlines charging extra on obese folk will only hurt thier sales; flyers will just take tickets from a different carrier. Sorry to disappioint all of the nutritionists and gym owners out there, but I doubt this airline surcharge will do much good.

A lvl 115 warrior and still growing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know all that means is that the people who aren't obese are more likely to come back to the airline at a later date because their experience with them would be more comfortable than it could have been had they been seated beside someone who took up all that space, right? An obese person's patronage isn't worth any more than anyone else's to them.

And if every airline starts to charge for extra space, it's not like the obese can take their business elsewhere. So it really wouldn't hurt anyone.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

That line is very difficult to draw. It can be about halfway, you know, points can influence each other: It runs in the family, you make a few slip ups and get out of shape, and boom, you have Type 2. Sometimes, you have it without even noticing until you start seeing signs and are brought to the doctor. I wouldn't really know where to draw it. Maybe, if they're serious about this law, they could be asked to look up a medical history or something.

And I'd rather keep my health than have the advantage in fights. It's not much of an advantage, anyway, and you're more likely to have various diseases associated with obesity and bad health.

Note to the posters. As a third degree brown belt and winner of five martial arts medals, I can tell you obesity is not all bad. Sure you might be slower than others and not fit super slim clothing, but the extra mass makes defeating slimmer players of equal skill level very easy. Even better, the extra padding makes you more resistant to injury. I also know that airlines charging extra on obese folk will only hurt thier sales; flyers will just take tickets from a different carrier. Sorry to disappioint all of the nutritionists and gym owners out there, but I doubt this airline surcharge will do much good.

Ok, we're not even talking about karate here so gratz on a failed attempt at showing off. As far as airlines hurting their sales, I doubt it would hurt them that badly, especially if all airlines took up this policy. Also, you don't need to be a nutritionist or a gym owner to stay in shape. It's actually really easy if you have a brain (+ know how to use it) and have the motivation to get out once in a while.

Flame bait? I'm have the most unhealthy diet in my entire family but am somehow in the best physical shape of everyone.I only weigh about 58kg (130lb?) and I spend the majority of my time either sitting at my computer eating junk, sitting on the lounge eating junk, or sleeping. The time that I do move is between those locations, the firdge, toilet and my car. Just because your size happens to make you better at a sport doesn't make it justifiable. Unless your body fat % is acceptable for your weight, in which case you wouldn't be "obese" due to sheer fat, but because of muscle mass. But somehow, given your attitude, I doubt the second statement is you. And "extra padding" means squat. I'm slim but well resistant to injury. It takes a lot to hurt me but I can hurt larger people very easily because of strength, not size.

/\ Even though you may not be overweight, that's just begging for a heart attack when you're 40.

I know. My metabolism is just too fast for it's own good. I have a massive calorie intake just to stop my body wanting to burn of muscle in order to get energy.

Massive pro & con; on one hand it's essentially impossible for me to get fat. On the other, it's almost impossible for me to gain muscle mass. So it's a stalemate.

*shrug*

/\ Even though you may not be overweight, that's just begging for a heart attack when you're 40.

I know. My metabolism is just too fast for it's own good. I have a massive calorie intake just to stop my body wanting to burn of muscle in order to get energy.

Massive pro & con; on one hand it's essentially impossible for me to get fat. On the other, it's almost impossible for me to gain muscle mass. So it's a stalemate.

*shrug*

I have the exact same metabolism, it is [bleep]ing annoying when you're trying to build up your body. I eat well in excess of 3500 calories a day yet my waist size is still only 30-31 and I have very little fat or muscle on my body as my metabolism just eats it up :(

I only get... 1500 calories TOPS on most days... And somehow I weigh around 70kg (155lbs.) But I'm 6'0' and I have a little muscle, and 22% body fat, so... No idea what my body is doing right now.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Watching the Movie Wall-E and then looking at this thread feels really strange... in the movie the people in the future were incredibly fat. Coincidence...?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I has a response.

At my school, the cafeteria serves cookies (yes, cookies, like we're 3 years old :roll:). There's this one obese girl older than me. One day I see her come out with 3 cookies. Being obese is entirely her choice. She didn't have to have 3 cookies, but she choose to. Obesity is your choice and/or laziness. Plus, you could diet.

some people say the amount of food I eat, and how skinny I weigh doesn't match up, truth is, I could do nothing but eat, and still not gain any weight, so motabolism is a big decider in it

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Flame bait? I'm have the most unhealthy diet in my entire family but am somehow in the best physical shape of everyone.I only weigh about 58kg (130lb?) and I spend the majority of my time either sitting at my computer eating junk, sitting on the lounge eating junk, or sleeping. The time that I do move is between those locations, the firdge, toilet and my car. Just because your size happens to make you better at a sport doesn't make it justifiable. Unless your body fat % is acceptable for your weight, in which case you wouldn't be "obese" due to sheer fat, but because of muscle mass. But somehow, given your attitude, I doubt the second statement is you. And "extra padding" means squat. I'm slim but well resistant to injury. It takes a lot to hurt me but I can hurt larger people very easily because of strength, not size.

Post a picture or something. I know people like you who do nothing but eat junk food, sit beside the computer and think they are strong but none of them actually are, they simply have giant egos.

I myself am 6'1 and ~157 pounds but I stay away from McDonalds and such, I mostly eat potatoes and vegetables as well as a lot of meat. I exercise outside, mostly running, pull-ups, muscle-ups, handstands, handstand pushups as well as many parkour related moves.

On the other hand, maybe they should give you a discount for being thin. I'm short skinny git, you could comfortably fit 3 of me in a 2 seater if there was no divider. Seriously, it's the future ;) .

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I'm 16 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and I weigh 100 pounds. I don't exercise AT ALL. I sleep, eat, and play video games. My body fat percentage is like 14%, I think. I can count my ribs, yet I eat a lot, and I only eat junk food (pizza, chips, soda, etc, seriously, it's all i eat).

Is there something wrong with me??? I'm dead serious...

Apparently my old account got deleted with the new forums so I had to make a new one... Woot, first post!

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Well firstly i think the airline seats on the whole are a bit cramped, so they should make them wider and give you more leg room, this would then stop them from pulling over soo many large people, but the hugely obese people, lets say 25 stone plus, should maybe be asked to pay a surcharge for the extra space, bearing in mind that not all people over 20stone are huge in girth but can be huge in height, so weight is not always the best indicating factor in why people should pay more, secondly airlines charge a huge amount of money for there seats so they really should just be able to write it off everynow and then when one person needs two seats instead of the standardised miniscule seat that is on offer, :o :shock: :)

Noobienew

Teh Noobie of Noobies ©

random.jpg

Well firstly i think the airline seats on the whole are a bit cramped, so they should make them wider and give you more leg room, this would then stop them from pulling over soo many large people, but the hugely obese people, lets say 25 stone plus, should maybe be asked to pay a surcharge for the extra space, bearing in mind that not all people over 20stone are huge in girth but can be huge in height, so weight is not always the best indicating factor in why people should pay more, secondly airlines charge a huge amount of money for there seats so they really should just be able to write it off everynow and then when one person needs two seats instead of the standardised miniscule seat that is on offer, :o :shock: :)

Just fyi it's near physically impossible to read your posts without highlighting the text so it isn't that extremely annoying color.

The airlines shouldn't have to make the seats bigger for fatties.

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

I'm 16 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and I weigh 100 pounds. I don't exercise AT ALL. I sleep, eat, and play video games. My body fat percentage is like 14%, I think. I can count my ribs, yet I eat a lot, and I only eat junk food (pizza, chips, soda, etc, seriously, it's all i eat).

Apparently my old account got deleted with the new forums so I had to make a new one... Woot, first post!

You're just like me. It's called a high metabolism or metabolic rate. It means that you're body can easily burn a lot of the fat you consume. I'm sure you'll eventually outgrow it. If you do want to bulk up, however, eat lots of food with protein in it. :thumbup:

On-topic: I guess it does seem fair. They made the decision to eat that way and not excercise it off. So, now it seems they have to equal it out with their wallets.

Just fyi it's near physically impossible to read your posts without highlighting the text so it isn't that extremely annoying color.

Read his post properly moron.

Well lets try a diferent colour for the obviously visibly impaired amongst you, :lol: maybe its that rubbish you feed yoursel, if you tried a few vegetables you might find your eyesight improves, \'

Now to the point in question, I did not say they need to make there seats bigger I said, they make huge amounts of profit on the miniscule seats that they provide, cramming as many people onto there out of date and horrible little aircraft, that they really could afford to give a free seat to a larger person, and just as your metabolic rate means you can eat junk and not put on huge amounts of weight *for now*, remember there are people out there that eat nice food and have a very low metabolic rate and put on weight just by looking at food, so there!!

Noobienew

Teh Noobie of Noobies ©

random.jpg

Well lets try a diferent colour for the obviously visibly impaired amongst you, :lol: maybe its that rubbish you feed yoursel, if you tried a few vegetables you might find your eyesight improves, \'

Now to the point in question, I did not say they need to make there seats bigger I said, they make huge amounts of profit on the miniscule seats that they provide, cramming as many people onto there out of date and horrible little aircraft, that they really could afford to give a free seat to a larger person, and just as your metabolic rate means you can eat junk and not put on huge amounts of weight *for now*, remember there are people out there that eat nice food and have a very low metabolic rate and put on weight just by looking at food, so there!!

Or you could just not use colors. it is against the rules, too. It is very annoying to read.

Ontopic: yes, airlines should charge more. everyone should pay for the space they need.

In the article it says canada considers obesity to be a disability. Kinda untrue, a Disability is something we have no control over. I'm fairly certain obese people have the choice of what they eat.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

It's called metabolism. Enjoy it while you can. I myself can eat whatever I damn please and not gain weight but try not to. I exercise like I've mentioned in a previous post.