Obesity and Airlines

Cup Lion

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being obese is not always a choice. In fact, many obese people have it in their genes, or were fed the wrong things when they were too young to decide. For some, it's unavoidable. That being said, I do support this rule eventhough it's morally wrong (for me). I do not like the idea of completley humilating someone like that, especially humiliating someone over something they probably already feel bad about. Logically though, it makes sense. Depriving someone else of a seat they payed for because of a problem you have (even if it's not your fault) causes a lot of issues. If a person pays for the amount of space they need, it's no longer a issue.

I has a response.

At my school, the cafeteria serves cookies (yes, cookies, like we're 3 years old :roll:). There's this one obese girl older than me. One day I see her come out with 3 cookies. Being obese is entirely her choice. She didn't have to have 3 cookies, but she choose to. Obesity is your choice and/or laziness. Plus, you could diet.

Whatever, I wear a collar to school almost everyday.

Just curious.. Do your after school activities include handcuffs, whips, and a decent amount of rope?

lol, no, I get that sometimes at school though. :lol:

I'll post a picture of myself wearing it if you don't believe me.

Its kinda like a dog collar, well it is a dog collar.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

You never know, I know people that regularly wear fake tails to school.

Please keep in mind that some species' tails are at LEAST at long as they are tall.Personally, I don't know how it'd work to have an artificial tail, but meh. Hoffman, think you can post some pics of that? I'm interested.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Please keep in mind that some species' tails are at LEAST at long as they are tall.Personally, I don't know how it'd work to have an artificial tail, but meh. Hoffman, think you can post some pics of that? I'm interested.

Of me and my collar or my friend and her tail?

I don't have any pictuers of her with her tail on.

Her tail isent that long, but even if it was as tall as her, it wouldn't be very long :lol:

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

Of me and my collar or my friend and her tail?

I don't have any pictuers of her with her tail on.

Her tail isent that long, but even if it was as tall as her, it wouldn't be very long :lol:

Your friend w/ a tail. If necessary, I can do with a pic of her and a description of the tail.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

I hope your teachers make fun of the dog collars and wolf tails because I totally would if it was one of my students :P.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I hope your teachers make fun of the dog collars and wolf tails because I totally would if it was one of my students :P.

My Ap Biology teacher does. :lol: He pretty much announced it to the class the first time i wore it, saying something like, "Class today Colton is wearying a dog collar" :lol: Strangely though none of my other teachers said anything.

canadasigxw2.gif

hoffman44redhd5.png

It's also a question of physics.

A person who weighs twice as much as another passenger will take a proportionally larger amount of fuel to move.

It's only fair to make them pay more, not only for the space, but also for the extra fuel used.

To be honest I agree unless there is a medical certificate you can supply. I'm all for people who are happy with being that overweight it's none of my business and if it makes them happy, be fat. However, to take up one extra potential passengers seat that could ruin someones flight that day... I'm going to have to agree with this one. If there is a medical problem, it should be covered. I'm not for penalizing somebody over a disability they have no control over. Where as if you eat too much and your butt needs two seats, then pay up.

Zon also raises a good point.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I say that they need to be charged unless, as IGoddessI said, they provide some medical certificate or something. Other than that, you should know to exercise and watch what you eat. I don't think it's that hard to cut a soda out of your diet, or maybe just doing a quick jog every now and then, it's better than what you fat people do anyway.

Then comes my other concern: Takeoff/landing. On smaller airliner jets, if all that weight is on one side, the plane could tilt, clip the wing, or even wreck the plane while taking off. If landing, then the same problem might occur.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

[hide=]
Paying Extra For Being Fat

As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people. For Southwest, a plane ticket is like real estate: You get only the space you pay for. (Passengers must buy an extra ticket if their girth prevents them from lowering the armrest that divides the seats. If the flight is not full, they qualify for a refund.) Southwest representative Ashley Rogers says the airline instituted the policy because of complaints from adjoining passengers. We want to give everybody the room they need, she says. People should be able to breathe a little without their neighbor encroaching. But in Canada, a new government policy prevents airlines from charging extra for passengers who are considered disabled by their obesity. The policy will cost Air Canada $7.3 million a year. As our nations collective girth increases, the debate about the rights of overweight people is also playing out in the courts. A Michigan law protects overweight people from job discrimination; Massachusetts is considering similar legislation. And overweight people claim that a federal law preventing airlines from discriminating against people with disabilities should apply to them, too. So far, their lawsuits have been unsuccessful.

[/hide]

How about these obese people stop eating so much damn McDonalds and get up off the couch and lose some damn weight. If you're healthy enough to get the to airport and on the plane then you can go for a powerwalk for half an hour. Don't go blaming it on some disease.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but just remember, you will not get rich and rewarded for gaining three hundred pounds. People WILL penalize you.

And this new rule does seem fair.

What you said was ridiculous, and I hope you see that.

Honestly, I agree and disagree with this. While I agree that I would like the comfort of my own seat to myself without having someone in the way, I disagree with the fact that they're making them pay extra for a way of life they're not a part of (or way of body, whichever you prefer).

EDIT: Goddess, I like that idea. :thumbup:

[Honestly, I agree and disagree with this. While I agree that I would like the comfort of my own seat to myself without having someone in the way, I disagree with the fact that they're making them pay extra for a way of life they're not a part of (or way of body, whichever you prefer.)

See, I agree with them having to pay extra. By having someone too big to fit into one seat pay only the price of one seat, then the airline is losing alot of money. By making them pay for both of the seats they use, then it's all fair.

Also, for alot of people, it IS a choice whether or not to lose weight. Read my first post in this thread, and you will understand my point.

You're right. The vast majority of obese people are obese because they just don't exercise enough. Sure, some people have thyroid conditions or whatever, but their numbers compared to the total are hardly anything.

It isn't discrimination. I don't have a problem with obese people, even if it's due to lack of effort. Hell, they can live their lives how they like, it's their choice. BUT, I take issue when it affects others. So if someone sits in a seat and their fat spills over and causes discomfort to people sitting next to them, yes, either the other people should get upgraded or the obese person should have to buy two seats.

Hey.

I do not believe it's "discrimination" to charge a person for two seats if they take up two seats. :| It's merely a fact: they use two seats and they pay for two seats. Some people are born genetically predisposed to obesity, but even if it's not their fault, the airline shouldn't have to give them free tickets for it.

3rd page ftw! ::'

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Am I the only one who thought that the guy who wears a collar always wore a collared shirt?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

If a person takes up 2 seats then they should pay for 2 seats, it's not discrimination in any form. Many Obese people became Obese through their own faults, they should not be given special privileges just because they [bleep]ed up.

It's extremly unfair for a Airline to cater for people who became that way through their own fault and lose money in the process, if a Obese person asks for a big portion of food in one order they pay for the bigger portion of food, why shouldn't they pay for a bigger amount of space they're taking up?

I highly doubt that the weight of the individual will affect the weight of the whole plane. On average a typical commerical airliner can hold up to 300-400 people. If all 400 people were skinny and wieghed an average of 130 pounds it adds 52K pounds or 26 tons. If all 400 were fat people weighing around 280 each thats 112K or 56 tons. That is only an increase of 30 tons and compared to the entire plane that hardly changes much in terms of danger. Plus that is both extremes, since it is highly unlikely that the plane will be full of fat nor skinny people. I'm not sure about fuel wasted per weight, but by danger 30 tons more won't add a dangerous level of weight.

Regardless, the airlines should make the seats have more room rather than charge extra. If not, then at least pay upon the weight of the person. Then you skinny people will be mad since the person skinner than you gets on cheaper. ;)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I highly doubt that the weight of the individual will affect the weight of the whole plane. On average a typical commerical airliner can hold up to 300-400 people. If all 400 people were skinny and wieghed an average of 130 pounds it adds 52K pounds or 26 tons. If all 400 were fat people weighing around 280 each thats 112K or 56 tons. That is only an increase of 30 tons and compared to the entire plane that hardly changes much in terms of danger. Plus that is both extremes, since it is highly unlikely that the plane will be full of fat nor skinny people. I'm not sure about fuel wasted per weight, but by danger 30 tons more won't add a dangerous level of weight.

An increase of 30 tonnes (20 if we're using average weights) isn't much for a 747-8, which as a maximum takeoff weight of just under 440 tonnes.

However, the fact is that an obese person will still be adding more stress to the engines than they are entitled to by the ticket they paid for, as well as possibly contributing to the discomfort of other passengers. Paying for the extra weight and volume of the passenger is akin to paying for the extra weight and volume of any oversized or overweight luggage you may have. Neither is unreasonable.

Regardless, the airlines should make the seats have more room rather than charge extra. If not, then at least pay upon the weight of the person. Then you skinny people will be mad since the person skinner than you gets on cheaper. ;)

I don't think that would work at all. Making the seat bigger would cost a fortune, something the airlines are not going to do just because some obese people don't want to pay for two seats. Paying upon the weight of the person will do nothing, since really large people will still pose a problem in taking up other people's seats.

The best thing to do is make them pay for two seats, unless they provide a medical certificate or something. In that case, they get two seats and pay for one. Either that, or designate seats for larger people and have those seats cost extra. Yet, the later would cost money to install the seats. So, the first option in the best, in my opinion.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

I've had a 5 hour redeye in between two fat people. Worst flight ever. Just like every movie you've ever seen

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...

An increase of 30 tonnes (20 if we're using average weights) isn't much for a 747-8, which as a maximum takeoff weight of just under 440 tonnes.

However, the fact is that an obese person will still be adding more stress to the engines than they are entitled to by the ticket they paid for, as well as possibly contributing to the discomfort of other passengers. Paying for the extra weight and volume of the passenger is akin to paying for the extra weight and volume of any oversized or overweight luggage you may have. Neither is unreasonable.

Actually, that is comparing human lives with material possesion. One is opinion, the other is not. The way I see it, I'm paying for the flight there not the pressure I'm making upon the engines. How much more stress can fat flesh give anyway? I don't think its a whole lot to charge double for.

I don't think that would work at all. Making the seat bigger would cost a fortune, something the airlines are not going to do just because some obese people don't want to pay for two seats. Paying upon the weight of the person will do nothing, since really large people will still pose a problem in taking up other people's seats.

The best thing to do is make them pay for two seats, unless they provide a medical certificate or something. In that case, they get two seats and pay for one. Either that, or designate seats for larger people and have those seats cost extra. Yet, the later would cost money to install the seats. So, the first option in the best, in my opinion.

My last sentence wasn'ta serious suggestion, just wanted to show some irony if they do this. However, you guys are not looking at the actual price of these tickets. 400 dollars for a flight? 800 for a fat person? It just doesn't seem fair. If it was a bus and a fat man had to pay 40 cents more, then sure its not too bad. But four hundred dollars? Its a bit too much and is that enough money to cover the extra stress on the engine? For each fat person? If its an extra twenty or thirty dollars then I'll alright with it, but you're basically paying double if you're fat.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

We need more policies like this. Mybe now some people will actually get off their [wagon]. Whenever I hit 105 IB., I make a few laps around town. Maybe more people will do the same.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.