A question to you... english-speaking people.

Azvareth

Rizla admires me. bloos.gif

Anyway, I always try type it as decent as I can, but I know I have a lot of errors. I do feel ashamed sometimes, especially when I have my bad moments and everything goes wrong with English. :P Last time I was on the phone with play.com, aaw that was baaaaaaaaaad. push.gif

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was a bit (in lack of better words) concerned that people gave me some sort of "special treatment" just because I come from a different country. Because I'd hate that.

I think you've learned more then you think...

For example: there's like 110 000 words in dutch, if I remember correctly. Who cares if you don't know some of the weird words. Heck, I think even I dont use over 5 percent of them frequently, and Id be suprised if I actually knew 50 percent of them.

Once you are familiar with the most commonly used ones, you get along quite well. At least, good enough to pick up the meaning of the stuff you don't know yet.

Vmser.png

I talk to a lot of kids who have trouble with English (mostly Asian), and I find that I do actually re-word what I'm saying sometimes. But you know, I do that with native speakers to, so it's no big deal. I just inherited a weird vocabulary from my dad that not everyone understands, so I moderate it if I'm about to use some obscure word.

Mostly, all that really changes when I'm speaking to someone who has trouble with English is that I slow down and speak a lot more clearly.

finalsig9wq.gif

I've been thinking about this ever since I started chatting with people... outside my country boarders. :P

So, yeah... I'm curious, when you chat with somebody from another country - whose native language isn't english - do you tend to use other types of words etc? Like, much simpler ones than you would normally; or is it something that you don't really think of, and you don't word yourself any differently? Or is it something else that I haven't covered already?

Thanks. :)

// Azvi.

No, I just speak the language that they are ;)

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I always typo when talking to my foreign chums but they are kinda used to it now and genereally no matter how bad i type something they always work it out lol.

And I almost laughed loud in real life when I imagined Daan on the phone getting it all wrong. ^_^ And I should hope French or German people laugh at me when I attempt to speak their language too lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Online, say on rs I commonly mistake people with english as their second language as younger kids, say 12 or something. I do seem to speak in more simple terms to them.

But, I find that in real life. Foreign people seem to get more choked up with simple language or slang. I usually resort to speaking more formally or without much slang terms.

It's better to burn out, than to fade away

The king is gone, but he's not forgotten

- Neil Young

if they don't understand English AT ALL then I'll use like hand symbols or if it's online I'll use like smilie faces to communicate >_> :)

I do that anyways :lol: (even if they do speak english)

to the first question: :D:D lol. :P .... :shock: . :)

The second: :roll: :oops: ... :?: ... :shock: . :)

In english, For the first, no not realy. I've only talked to people who actualy spoke a different language a few times though, even though i lived in germany for 2 years, I never realy had to talk to the germans nor anyone else much :P. So when i did talk i usualy just talked... normaly.

For the second, yes azvy, i think your stoopid :lol: . No, I actualy respect those who can speak a second language. I know how hard it is to learn one (trying to learn spanish, well , at least took 2 years at it lol, i suck at speaking it) So when i find someone who can fluiently speak/type it I'm amazed.

That or i mistake them to be British/American :oops: . Not that i'd ever mistake azvy for anything, his avatar reminds me :P

My native language is not English, yet I live in an english-speaking country. Some people talk to me louder... :shock: I'm not deaf, I'm foreign. LOL

The worst though is when they talk to each other and think I can't follow. Then they all look surprised when I jump in the convo. It's hard for some to get rid of their unconscious stereotypes.

My native language is not English, yet I live in an english-speaking country. Some people talk to me louder... :shock: I'm not deaf, I'm foreign. LOL

The worst though is when they talk to each other and think I can't follow. Then they all look surprised when I jump in the convo. It's hard for some to get rid of their unconscious stereotypes.

Lol thats so funny because its true. When I go abroad a make an effort to use my limited foreign lamnguage skills but i cant help but laugh at the typical English way of talking louder and slower. Yes, because thats going to make them understand lol.

"CAN I HAVE A MAP PLEASE? MAP? ME? MAP PLEASE?"

A classic ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I always speak the same on the computer lol... Sometimes at home ill mess around and act like a "wanna be gangster" lol... I did grow up in a bad neighborhood around that but i dont talk that way because i take it seriouse....like

whats up G where yall gonna be chillin at up in a bit? im bout to bounce down to the crib real quick n pick up some girls, maybe i can see whats poppin later homie. aight peace out yo!

Im sure that confuses you, just a slang certain people relate to, lol...

I wonder how many different ways these posts are being read.....I remember a few debates we hade on pronounseation (dialects) .... and how many different forms of "English" there are.

as far as non-english speakers, I do nopt deal with them that often...but when that happens, I usually slow down, and do not use slang.

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

Lmao! That is SO TRUE of us English people! So is what Matt says! Haha!

Also, when people try and say English words in a foreign way, like:

"Excusey moi, Which-o way-o to el town center-o, por favor?"

Hehe, classic :P

I once saw a stand-up comedy act to that effect. The guy said that when English speaking people go on holiday to a foreign country, instead of learning to speak the language, they speak louder, and insert one or two words from the language of the people they're talking to.

The example they gave was (loudly) "Which way to the beach, mein Herr?"

Anyway, thismay or may not be useful; it's a load of quizes about English. It's not my second language, so I can't be sure, but I imagine that they would be quite useful in learning to better use some of the odd phrases in English. Click on the numbers next to the samples to actually get to the content.

I have to explain the occasional word or so to some non-scottish people because apparently I use alot of Scottish slang in my conversations. :oops:

X1nPw.png

--The Ultimate RuneScape Merchanting Website --

To foreigners, I just speak normally, maybe try to shy away from complex words, ie, meglomaniac.

the one thing that REALLY erks me is people who have english as a first language and speak it so bad that its not funny, also rs naming of items... the description says "Rune Plate" so why cant you type "rune plate" not "rune plat" or "rune p8" I understand shortening of words, but sometimes some people butcher them.

Ive never really thought about it but to be honest it doesnt matter because alot of people who have learned English seem to understand the language & are better at using it (well on the net at least) than people who speak it as their native language.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

u speak normally unless u constantly have 2 elaborate or explain it then u speak much simpler.

u dont think them as dumb for language problems as i would be worse trying 2 speak their language

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

i used the word 'elaborate' while speaking to a french exchange student at my school a few years ago. thats was the last time i used long words.

so yeah, only simple and non-madeup words usually.

limpxbizkid.png

i+r+newblet.png