"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

Not directly related to this thread, but I don't feel like finding the right place to put it on reddit. A [female] friend of mine who has dated guys in the past has a girlfriend, which is not the issue. She more or less just brought it up in casual conversation (I asked about her sweatshirt which was similar to one she already had, said it was her girlfriend's). As it is relevant, she brings it up.

My problem is totally internal but I don't want to continue being weird (or at least I think I am?) - my brain had categorized her as straight and is having a hard time ignoring/changing my arbitrary label. I think it's mostly because I am not at a point where I have acceptably boxed myself in and so having other people being totally cool with their sexuality is weirding me out. Which makes no sense but there you go. I overthink everything and like having everything labelled nicely and logically.

Thoughts?

Sexuality is a fluid spectrum subject to change. Instead of labeling people as "straight" or "bi" just recognize that everyone is sexual and appreciate what they are attracted to in humans. Some people are attracted to features, personalities or more commonly gender. But not necessarily any of those things.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Best advice I can give for that is just spend more time around people who are attracted to different things and have differing sexualities. I tell dudes to spend more time around women they're not trying to sleep with all the time, especially when they need help getting past the whole Nice Guy proprietary view of women's sexuality. Hang out with them, participate in conversations about sex with them, get more comfortable with the idea that everyone (well almost everyone) has sexual desire and it manifests in completely unique ways.

For example last night my original plans fell through so I ended up hanging out with my recent ex and some of her friends and helped coach two of them through text flirting and body language. I've done the same thing with guy friends of mine. I'm totally cool with taking on the Gay Best Friend role despite being pretty much completely straight myself. It's a label, but it's meaningless.

p2gq.jpg

Sexuality is a fluid spectrum subject to change. Instead of labeling people as "straight" or "bi" just recognize that everyone is sexual and appreciate what they are attracted to in humans. Some people are attracted to features, personalities or more commonly gender. But not necessarily any of those things.

True, I label myself as a hetero-monolithic-ultracrepicidian-neo-liberal-nycto-sexual.

• Like 2

Luck be a Lady

I remember a study once that found monogamy correlates with higher IQ. Just saying.

And Internet Explorer market share correlates with murder rates

I never said it was conclusive, nor I think did the authors.

Not directly related to this thread, but I don't feel like finding the right place to put it on reddit. A [female] friend of mine who has dated guys in the past has a girlfriend, which is not the issue. She more or less just brought it up in casual conversation (I asked about her sweatshirt which was similar to one she already had, said it was her girlfriend's). As it is relevant, she brings it up.

My problem is totally internal but I don't want to continue being weird (or at least I think I am?) - my brain had categorized her as straight and is having a hard time ignoring/changing my arbitrary label. I think it's mostly because I am not at a point where I have acceptably boxed myself in and so having other people being totally cool with their sexuality is weirding me out. Which makes no sense but there you go. I overthink everything and like having everything labelled nicely and logically.

Thoughts?

We've had the whole thing about fluid sexuality bla bla, and this is not only true, but especially true in females, who are a lot more flexible than men. This is all from long ago, but if I remember right female sexuality is influenced by the menstrual cycle and there are periods in the cycle when women veer towards finding "feminine" traits more attractive, even in men - so it's not hard to imagine a "straight" woman going a little further and getting a girlfriend. Women only need to be attracted to men when they're fertile; men, ever fertile, tend to be more solidly hetero or homo. Again, this is not hard scientific fact, but it's one of many contending and maybe valid views (again, I may be remembering wrongly). 

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I've gotta say, this last month has been my biggest eye opener yet.

It really is that simple.

Girls want it as much or even more.

Touching works.

Being a Nice Guy, but making the 2 correct moves works.

Sometimes chemistry comes from the most unexpected places.

Everybody worries.

And when you are young enough, stuff eventually comes naturally, if you let it come.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I don't lick elbows or hair.

How can you even lick hair and wtf even??

Now about them boobs...

It's like a cheat code. So effective.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

IDDQD gives you invulnerability from rejection.

IDDQD gives you invulnerability from rejection.

100% truth here!

Because you're too busy playing video games to ask people out.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I don't get the IDDQD reference here...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Do people seriously need "coaching" and "pickup artists" and all this shit? even for someone like me who is both introverted and shy I manage to talk to people.

Yes. In America the vast majority of men have no clue how women work and have been conditioned into doing the opposite of what they should be doing.

77yLQy8.png

If you've ever used this thread to gain knowledge, You've been "coached". Much of the information is influenced by pick up artists. Oh well

Loveline is a large reason I went into psychology to begin with. Dr Drew and Stryker were my bros in 2006-2008

I find this thread fascinating because the whole dating thing is so formal and ritualized in America, it seems. Neither in the UK or Italy have I come across precedents for dates, what to do on a first date, etc. Although in both countries alcohol is legal from a younger age and widely used from much younger, so I suppose it makes everything easier. And in Italy you'd be lucky to go on a "date" without running into someone you know, who joins your table, then their cousin joins, and it snowballs from there. 

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I find this thread fascinating because the whole dating thing is so formal and ritualized in America, it seems. Neither in the UK or Italy have I come across precedents for dates, what to do on a first date, etc. Although in both countries alcohol is legal from a younger age and widely used from much younger, so I suppose it makes everything easier. And in Italy you'd be lucky to go on a "date" without running into someone you know, who joins your table, then their cousin joins, and it snowballs from there. 

Tbh, precedents for dates, what to do on a first date, etc. is probably just people overthinking things. I think North Americans have a tendency to over-complicate things, and are always looking for the complicated easy way instead of just doing the hard, simple way.

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Americans are constantly being conditioned to believe sexual imagery is awesome, yet sex itself is taboo. As a result of this, women are afraid of sex because they don't want to be called a slut and men are afraid of sex because they don't want to be called creepy. So there's lots of sexually unsatisfied and confused people out there. The satisfied ones are those who risk Getting called sluts or creeps in order to get what they want.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

An update about that girl I posted about 2 or 3 pages ago. Last night we hung out, got drunk under a bridge and talked and walked around her town for a while. She was explaining how she knows how her current long-distance relationship is going to fail, and how her boyfriend knows it too. It was really obvious she was coming on to me, and soon she was resting her head on my shoulder as we were sitting down. Then we ended up kissing for a little while, then talking about the implications of the fact that she has a boyfriend. She explained that she's just a really sexual person and the fact that her boyfriend is across the country means that she just isn't romantically satisfied at all. Then we made out for like 20 minutes before I had to go catch my bus. It was really enjoyable, and now we've texted a little bit today about how we're both just down for being casual friends with benefits.

It's just kind of weird because I've never been in a scenario quite like this. On paper, everything is kind of perfect. I wouldn't really want to date her because I'm not like super physically/emotionally attracted to her, and she's fine with that. Like I can't really picture myself developing serious feelings for her at all. But it's still enjoyable to be romantic with someone. She seems a little needier than me, but if it ever gets weird or unbalanced, she's like an hour bus-ride away and goes to another college so it'd be pretty easy to break ties. 

So yeah, overall a pretty good situation to be in.

All according to plan.... mwahahahaha