HEROES SPOILER!!

TheChamp

I dislike the mentality that an episode is filler if it doesn't advance the current story that much. Get a better appreciation for the art of storytelling, for crying out loud. I like to drool over Claire as much as the next guy, and action scenes are still awesome, but hot chicks and explosions aren't what make a show or movie. This episode gave us some CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, for the previously negligible Meredith and Flint, as well as some critical insight into Gabriel's transition to Sylar the Psychotic Killer. It was also an interesting juxtaposition when the grey-haired Company dude (can't remember his name) let Meredith go, because he was portrayed as a bad guy in the first season and Noah blew his brains out. Plus we saw into Arthur's story and his plotting with Linderman, which was the whole damn point of the episode. It was kind of necessary to explain how the hell Arthur ended up alive in a hospital bed after he was assumed dead.

I guess this is why I continue to love Lost long after half the world has given up on it. I half hope some of you people won't be satisfied with Heroes, because that means it hasn't become some mindless serial version of a crap superhero movie.

People expect instant gratification from the storylines rather than character and plot development. I'll agree that is one of the main reasons a lot of people gave up on Lost. I have no problem with filler episodes as long as they are good. Hell my favourite series consists of mostly filler episodes (Firefly). They barely advance the Blue Sun Corp/River Tam plot at all the entire series.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the tie-ins were very Lost-like. Me likey.

That is the exact reason why my parents did not likey.

To me, the episode was a filler episode. More background info, a couple things we didn't know, but nothing really new (plot-wise) but the Hiro storyline.

It was nice knowing why people thought Arthur was dead and what the exact condition was that he was in. Apparently the eclipse started everybody's powers too. I didn't see like the first 5 episodes of season 1 so I wouldn't know. I guess I'll have to watch it now ;)

It doesn't start them. We've heard of the company exsisting in the 70s, and it was a group of people with abilities. Solar Eclispes aren't that common.

They are born with (or in some cases given) the abilities.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Firefly was too short, that's why it got a pass on the fillers. Great series though.

True it probably wasn't the best example for that reason. BSG probably would have been a better example, I didn't mention it because even though the filler episodes are good the actually story line episodes are great, some surpassing any single episode in Firefly.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

All the tie-ins were very Lost-like. Me likey.

That is the exact reason why my parents did not likey.

To me, the episode was a filler episode. More background info, a couple things we didn't know, but nothing really new (plot-wise) but the Hiro storyline.

It was nice knowing why people thought Arthur was dead and what the exact condition was that he was in. Apparently the eclipse started everybody's powers too. I didn't see like the first 5 episodes of season 1 so I wouldn't know. I guess I'll have to watch it now ;)

It doesn't start them. We've heard of the company exsisting in the 70s, and it was a group of people with abilities. Solar Eclispes aren't that common.

They are born with (or in some cases given) the abilities.

I meant that the people artificially given abilities had them appear when the eclipse happened. Of course there were people with natural powers, or there would be no company

Actually,the natural abilities of the second generation (after the Company,their children) also emerged after the eclipse.Peter's absorbed precog. dreaming?Not sure about when Nathan discovered his flying,but I assume it was after the eclipse.Issac's painting?Hiro's time/space manip.?Though it seemed like he tries it everyday :P .

Though Chandra Suresh's tracking shows some were able to use their ablities before the eclipse...Sylar and his victims are my obvious examples.

So it may not be that the eclipse "jump started" their powers.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Actually,the natural abilities of the second generation (after the Company,their children) also emerged after the eclipse.Peter's absorbed precog. dreaming?Not sure about when Nathan discovered his flying,but I assume it was after the eclipse.Issac's painting?Hiro's time/space manip.?Though it seemed like he tries it everyday :P .

Though Chandra Suresh's tracking shows some were able to use their ablities before the eclipse...Sylar and his victims are my obvious examples.

So it may not be that the eclipse "jump started" their powers.

Claire survived as a baby in the house fire because of her regeneration. Also she and John Connor were filming it for days before the eclipse happened.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Perhaps its some event in their lives that start their powers?

I suppose that could explain why Isaac could only paint while on drugs at first.

And you could call Sylar wanting to be special what triggered his power.

And Nathan's activated when he was getting rammed off the road by Lindermann's/Petrelli's men, Matt's when he had to find Molly, etc.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

But Matt didn't actually need to find Molly.

I think Matt's was because he was having problems with his wife, perhaps a lack of trust sparked his power?

Not at that moment, no, but Molly was needed to the plot in the 1st Season, and less so in the 2nd.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

That is true if look at it as a whole. However if you look at it on the more reality side, then Matt didn't really need to find Molly.

However what you said could be true as to why he was there if we look at the plot as a whole.

But, isn't it more fun if we look at the character's backstory and guess how they gained the power rather than the reason being a plot device.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

The problem is, many times on Heroes it is a plot device. That's the show's biggest problem in my eyes, the plot rules all, which is the most greivous error any writer can make. Which is why I liked the flashback episode.

p2gq.jpg

The problem is, many times on Heroes it is a plot device. That's the show's biggest problem in my eyes, the plot rules all, which is the most greivous error any writer can make. Which is why I liked the flashback episode.

Agreed, theres too much focus on the plot itself. Some more episodes that teach us about a character's backstory would be nice.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Really good episode for the most part, but it seemed too short. Probably an effect of the new trend of commercials every five minutes.

The good or just plain awesome: Sylar. Best character on the show right now, and the whole situation of him learning empathy through Elle was just great. Elle is one of the best characters too, since she hasn't had too much time in the spotlight to spoil her character.

Matt. He DID SOMETHING. And something badass.

Everyone is back together again. THANK YOU GOD. Not only can we stop hearing annoying complaints that the plot is too stretched (which aren't without merit but just make me question the average viewer's mental capacity) but, well, there aren't eight different subplots lol.

The meh: Mohinder. He did nothing. Cut his scenes and give us more of the good stuff, please.

Hiro. He's a different kind of annoying now. Was that whole situation even necessary in the slightest?

The WTF: The eclipse. THE most confusing thing this show has come up with, period. How did Adam survive all of his 400-odd years if every occurence of an eclipse takes away/gives powers? I'll give the writers credit for the eclipse right after Hiro arrives in feudal Japan, but seriously. And why does the previous generation still have all their powers when the eclipse that gave their kids powers should have taken them. Ugh.

p2gq.jpg

Really good episode for the most part, but it seemed too short. Probably an effect of the new trend of commercials every five minutes.

The good or just plain awesome: Sylar. Best character on the show right now, and the whole situation of him learning empathy through Elle was just great. Elle is one of the best characters too, since she hasn't had too much time in the spotlight to spoil her character.

Matt. He DID SOMETHING. And something badass.

Everyone is back together again. THANK YOU GOD. Not only can we stop hearing annoying complaints that the plot is too stretched (which aren't without merit but just make me question the average viewer's mental capacity) but, well, there aren't eight different subplots lol.

The meh: Mohinder. He did nothing. Cut his scenes and give us more of the good stuff, please.

Hiro. He's a different kind of annoying now. Was that whole situation even necessary in the slightest?

The WTF: The eclipse. THE most confusing thing this show has come up with, period. How did Adam survive all of his 400-odd years if every occurence of an eclipse takes away/gives powers? I'll give the writers credit for the eclipse right after Hiro arrives in feudal Japan, but seriously. And why does the previous generation still have all their powers when the eclipse that gave their kids powers should have taken them. Ugh.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about the eclipse. (though I did forget about Adam Monroe) I didn't know how Angela and Kaito and the rest of the company kept their powers after the eclipse.

This episode was pretty good. I was glad Matt was able to have some excitement for once. It was nice seeing him actually show how much power he really has. The Sylar and Elle scenes were just plain awesome. They showed how much rage Elle had built up over the years, and once she had gotten that out he was able to control her power again. Now we know how future Sylar learned to understand powers without having to open up heads.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

The eclipse happens at the end of the first episode, after all the current gen people have shown they have abilities for a while. Claire surviving as a baby, then filming falls for weeks before the eclipse. Nathan flying out of the car wreck that crippled his wife a year or two before the eclipse, Peter also flew with him in the first episode before the eclipse if I recall. Isaac was drawing the future for a while before the eclipse. Could go on for every character.

I don't know where the eclipse giving/taking powers theory came up, all that was mentioned in the episode was that it seemed like there was a correlation there. We know correlation doesn't equal causation, but if it didn't mean anything it probably wouldn't have been mentioned.

Also keep in mind a total solar eclipse happens twice per year.

EDIT: For those interested, we can assume that since the show started in 2006 the total solar eclipse that they saw was in 2006, but no where they showed in the show would have actually seen a total solar eclipse:

SE2006Mar29-Fig2.GIF

Wouldn't have seen it in New York or Texas.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I don't know where the eclipse giving/taking powers theory came up, all that was mentioned in the episode was that it seemed like there was a correlation there. We know correlation doesn't equal causation, but if it didn't mean anything it probably wouldn't have been mentioned.

The teaser for next week said it explicitly. "An eclipse gave them their powers, now another one will take them away" or something to that effect. And it showed a bunch of people going "WTF my powers are gone noes", including Claire getting shot and not healing.

Of course it could all be a misleading promotional.

p2gq.jpg

I now know why Heroes is in the hot seat now from NBC. The show takes on a new direction like every episode.

We don't really get NBC here. What you mean by hot seat?

Hot seat, meaning that they (NBC) is getting tired of Heroes lowered rates and direction that the show is going in. They want the ratings that Heroes got during its first season, so they are pushing the show to get back on track. Which after last nights episode I agree with NBC.

tFtfA.jpg

I'm thinking that the eclipse only effects people who were given powers. That it somehow disperses the catalyst somehow. Its just my theory.

I think its really cool how they are letting us understand the characters powers more. It makes it a lot more interesting to try and contemplate what makes them tick and how.

One thing that's frustrating me is that I don't know which side to pick. Good is bad and bad is good, the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. Aggghhhh! It all so confusing. :wall: :oops:

prospektssigza4.jpg