Anime, It's Not That Good

I watch it for the same reasons as I watch cartoons. I enjoy the (sometimes lacking, but hey, most movies have the same problem) plot and overly use of over the edge fighting. It relaxes me or something I guess.

Nobody is forcing you to watch these kind of shows if you don't want to..

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its because i'll be damned if i can find anything else on the internet that holds my attention, seriously, don't see many non-anime TV shows up for streaming do you? :roll:

Uhh... yes. Several, actually.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Well, the first Anime I saw would be Dragonball Z. However, I veiwed it more as a cartoon, and was like 10 at the time.

As I grew older, I never watched many animes, as alot of the ones here were, well lets just say a bit childish.

Fast forward to last year. At this point, I borrowed a few DvDs off my Uncle. One of them was Ghost in the Shell. I loved it. Plot was not aimed towards children, and was a generally beautiful movie overall.

I started to watch the Anime on a channel here, (though seriously, it only shows two Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell (rarely seen the first S.A.C on it).

From there, I learned alot more about more mature animes. I wouldn't expect a kid to pick it up and understand what is going on.

Another Anime film I've seen is Ninja Scrolls. Its rated an 18 here (I'm 16, but my parent's wouldn't really care). It had a great plot, and definately not aimed towards a younger age (Violence, nudity and some other things).

Sometimes, for me, theres a line what I would consider an anime I would watch, and one thats aimed more towards kids. You just need to look further for the non-kiddy animes.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

anime = cartoon, lol.

NO!!! never call anime a cartoon that's just insulting.

a cartoon is made for a younger audience while anime is made for a more mature one.

Well...I guess that's debatable : P

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

stop motion animation :D

Alright: ATHF, Family Guy, Drawn Together, Venture Brothers. None of those are anime, yet they were all meant to appeal to a mature audience.

Also, would you say that Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z are not anime?

They're the same thing. Look at what Adio said.

no, pokemon and dragonballz were made in Japan, so they are anime, family guy and the others are American ANIMATION, not anime

anime = cartoon, lol.

NO!!! never call anime a cartoon that's just insulting.

a cartoon is made for a younger audience while anime is made for a more mature one.

:lol: I've been watching anime since I can remember. It's definitely not for mature audience like you imply

American animation can have the same things dude, ever seen most of the stuff on [AS]?

I get what you're saying but it's two different cultures so there are two different types of action. Adult Swim cartoons are more gory and humorous, whereas the Japanese ones have a more serious tone about them with more of a storyline too.

And also note how different the fighting is. In America, it's brawling, but in Japan, it's mostly robots and Burning Sun Beam Attack!'s.

Ever watched Shin Chan on Adult Swim? Not all anime is action, there are several popular comedies.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

ummm... whats a "weeaboo" :oops:

New[bleep] :o

It's a 4Chan meme FYI.

It's not a meme, it was what the word filter for "wapanese" (a white person who wants to be Japanese) was on /b/. The term simply stuck.

Those saying that all anime is for kids: watch Darker than BLACK and then tell me that.

I like anime bacause when all the cartoons in America are crap, where else am I to look? Plus I love there over the top stories and action...

Some of the animes I think are horrible like Pokemon and Naruto and One Piece (The kids stuff) but a lot of the more teenager and adult ones are usually pretty cool

I only like a couple animes and only own like 3 volumes of manga anymore, but I just like how over the top they are, plus...they make you wonder who the hell came up with half this stuff....

Anyways, I agree that a lot of animes are worthless and a waste of life, but I think there are a couple that are really good...I like Inuyasha and Neon Genesis Evangelion but other than that...Bleach is all right...and I loved Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai, but there is a lot of it I cannot stand as well...

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Some anime is crap, some is decent. I would say this

An anime is a type of cartoon, but not all cartoons are anime.

Some anime is aimed at kids, some at older audiences, some cartoons are aimed at kids, some at older audiences.

For example, one piece is aimed at kids, and with cartoons, something like, um, fairly odd parents is aimed at kids, while south park/family guy is aimed at teens or adults.

There are too many definitions (not dictionary definitions, social definitions) of anime and cartoon, that it's hard to categorize what is anime, and what is not. Is every animation made in japan anime? Is every animation made in the US a cartoon? or is it a certain style of animation, or what.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

first and foremost, I would like to dertemine my opinion of anime. In my life, I would consider it a passion. I love it. A good anime series is something that can completely engulf me for weeks on end and move me to tears. With that said, I'll continue.

MY GOD! you people are stupid. I mean, I've come to expect [developmentally delayed]edness on the internet, and maybe its just because its a subject I consider myself knowledgeable on, but the amount of uninformed garbage spewing from people's e-mouth's here is just plain unbelievable.

People who are "against" anime; I can see where some of you are coming from. Its not for everybody, some people tend not to like the animation style (although saying that, there are hundreds of different styles) .

[hide=animation differences]sazaesankotatsu.jpg

clannad-op-ed.jpg[/hide]

hardly the same quality of animation, yet they are both anime (for reference, top - sazae san, bottom - Clannad (movie))

Anime is a term which encompasses all drawn animation made in Japan. It is nothing more, or nothing less than a cartoon, that just happens to be from a certain country. It has nothing to do with the style of art.

The plots make no sense. I know some people that get turned on while watching anime. Seriously if stuff that turns you on..well..

right.. that first sentence, wow. I dont even know where to start. You cant possibly have seen enough anime to be able to make such a broad blanket statement, encompassing every genre of anime, and second of all, in most cases, you're just plain wrong. An anime takes months of work and millions of dollars to make, and I very much doubt a company would embark on such a project without at least making sure they had a solid script. The plots make at least as much sense as an american cartoon (assuming it has one) and usually, much more.

stuff on tv or in books just doesn't get published unless it's popular.

the anime you see on american TV is usually anime of the "shounen" genre, aimed at younger males. Assuming you consider yourself more mature than a 13 year old, its understandable why the mainstream anime may not appeal to you, however, this is only a small subsection of anime in general. Other genres, whilst nowhere near as popular, and therefore not as easy to find, may have more appeal to you.

It's just like a normal cartoon, except there's lots more Hentai.

wow. do you even know what that word means? I'd love you to show me an example of an anime shown on television where they show nude females engaging in sexual encounters, because I've yet to see one. A lot of anime is heavy on the fanservice but that sure as hell isnt hentai. Yes. Hentai is a fairly popular (on the internet at least) thing, but it should never be confused with anime in general.

I hate the corruptive effects it has on impressionable people (you know what I'm talking about).

no, I really dont.

And if Japanese people think it's bad, why don't Americans?

For a kickoff, anime in general is not "hated" in Japan, it is frowned upon for grown people to have an obsession with it, but that is towards the otaku culture in general, not specifically anime. One of the longest running series in Japan, sazae san, is an anime that has been running since the late sixties I believe. Anime is popular in Japan because it is a form of escape from their incredibly work-centric lifestyle, which is why they tend to be more fantastic(al) (not sure?) than americans, and this style might also be why is has gained popularity overseas.

And more to the point of your statement, I fail to see why something which you see as shunned by one culture should therefore be shunned by another. If the world operated in this way, we'd never get anywhere.

and so, to some of the people who are "for" anime in this thread.

It does your cause no good to call your opposition immature simply because they cant understand your point of view. If you want to sway them, provide some form of proof to backup your claim that anime is worth watching. One of the things I love about anime is there is something for everybody. I'm sure everybody has a bit of anime love deep down inside. Your arguements are no better than the "against" anime arguements to be honest.

The for/against anime conflict is ultimately completely unnecessary. Its something that some people like, just like certain sports, music, and food, some people like their TV in a different way.

The phrase weaboo being used is inevitable, but damn it annoys me.

now, slightly less ranty.

The OP probably hasn't been exposed to enough quality anime.

too right, man, too right.

Silversword, a man after my own heart. Clannad is one of my favourites of all time, and man you are lucky to have that as your first serious anime. I watched The melancholy first, then Lucky star as a logical progression, then Clannad followed simply because it was what KyoAni were doing that season.

Some of my other personal favourites are fullmetal panic (especially fumoffu) Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Death note, Love Hina, Chobits, Azumanga Daioh, Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Welcome to the NHK, Negima, MY-Hime and to a lesser extent My-Otome and all of its related sequel rubbish

Currently I'm watching

Code geass - Seriously all of you. Watch this, starting from season one. It is the most awesome thing on at the moment. I'm on the edge of my seat all week waiting for the next episode

Spice and wolf - slow paced, but nice plot and good artwork. I'm enjoying it so far.

Zero no tsukaima - Season 3 has just started and its decent. to be honest its pretty mindless fanservice most of the time, but its also damn funny.

Gundam 00 - In b4 LOLOLGUNDAM. Get a grip. Its a good series, the english dubs just raped them. I'm liking this a lot more than the older ones.

D. Gray Man - The only way I can think of describing this is bleach crossed with full metal alchemist. but to be honest, that makes it sound way more awesome than it actually is. Give it a look if you like them though.

And finally, just because I cant post in an anime thread without plugging my 2 favourite shows EVER

The melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya

and

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

If you havent watched this, you have. not. lived. Simple as that.

Holy crap. thats probably the longest post I've ever done.

Tk5SF.png

/me high fives Jaziek.

My use of the term "weeaboo" to describe myself stems from an IRC network where we joke around a lot. It kinda stuck to me.

I don't claim to be an expert on anime; I haven't been into it for long. But from what I have experienced, I love it.

Silversword, a man after my own heart. Clannad is one of my favourites of all time, and man you are lucky to have that as your first serious anime. I watched The melancholy first, then Lucky star as a logical progression, then Clannad followed simply because it was what KyoAni were doing that season.
Heh. Now I want to rewatch Clannad. It won my heart, as did Haibane Renmei and countless other anime that's similar to it.

Also, I heard that Geass R2 got good, which makes me want to watch it. I liked R1, but I kinda gave up on R2. :| If you like Geass you'll like Darker than BLACK too; plus the soundtrack was done by the same person that did Geass.

Anyway, the thread has been won. And I agree that the whole for/against argument is totally pointless - it's like musical elitism. Just.. let people like what they want.

I hate the corruptive effects it has on impressionable people (you know what I'm talking about).

no, I really dont.

Alright, maybe I should of gone into more detail....

You see, at my school, there is a group of about 5-6 people and all they talk about/read about is anime specifically Naruto and something else I can't spell or pronounce. This one kid is particularly bad. He actually thinks he's a ninja. He comes to school dressed like a ninja and he jumps around and does all sorts of weird stuff. Now that wouldn't be THAT weird IF was actually a kid. But he's SEVENTEEN. There is no excuse for that. And I completely blame anime for that. Because it's not just him. Every city I have been to I've seen people with this obsession (not fandom, obsession). And it's not right. I know it's a minority of a minority, but it still shows, to me, that it is corruptive to impressionable people. There is a difference between liking and watching a show and making it your life, this person did just that. And just to be clear, I have no problem with people who watch or talk about it, but when you start dressing up/acting like a character for no reason, that draws the line and I associate it with anime because I have never seen somebody act/dress like say a character from the Simpsons.

And if Japanese people think it's bad, why don't Americans?

a kickoff, anime in general is not "hated" in Japan, it is frowned upon for grown people to have an obsession with it, but that is towards the otaku culture in general, not specifically anime. One of the longest running series in Japan, sazae san, is an anime that has been running since the late sixties I believe. Anime is popular in Japan because it is a form of escape from their incredibly work-centric lifestyle, which is why they tend to be more fantastic(al) (not sure?) than americans, and this style might also be why is has gained popularity overseas.

And more to the point of your statement, I fail to see why something which you see as shunned by one culture should therefore be shunned by another. If the world operated in this way, we'd never get anywhere.

The for/against anime conflict is ultimately completely unnecessary. Its something that some people like, just like certain sports, music, and food, some people like their TV in a different way.

The phrase weaboo being used is inevitable, but damn it annoys me.

Fair enough, I can see your point. But just a question. Have you ever been to Japan? I have. Osaka to be exact, and in that city anime had the same stereotype it has in the U.S. Me and the family I was staying with were watching T.V. (one of those silly game shows) and I asked if anime was as popular as it was here. And having also been the U.S. they said no, and to 'BLUNTLY' put it they said it was for "weird people" and that not even kids watched it. Now what would make them say that? I assumed that it meant that it was unpopular. And I do understand that they didn't speak for everyone and that I'm sure plenty of people there do like it, but like I said I based that on the information given to me.

Oh and what the heck is a "weaboo"?

You see, at my school, there is a group of about 5-6 people and all they talk about/read about is anime specifically Naruto and something else I can't spell or pronounce. This one kid is particularly bad. He actually thinks he's a ninja. He comes to school dressed like a ninja and he jumps around and does all sorts of weird stuff. Now that wouldn't be THAT weird IF was actually a kid. But he's SEVENTEEN. There is no excuse for that. And I completely blame anime for that. Because it's not just him. Every city I have been to I've seen people with this obsession (not fandom, obsession). And it's not right. I know it's a minority of a minority, but it still shows, to me, that it is corruptive to impressionable people. There is a difference between liking and watching a show and making it your life, this person did just that. And just to be clear, I have no problem with people who watch or talk about it, but when you start dressing up/acting like a character for no reason, that draws the line and I associate it with anime because I have never seen somebody act/dress like say a character from the Simpsons.

Well, yeah, thats what you'd call a "weaboo". I agree that some of them should be taken out round the back and shot. As with every hobby there are people who just take it too far. That said, I'm all for cosplaying. I think it looks fantastic, it takes skill, time and dedication to create a great looking cosplay. But you shouldnt call the anime corruptive just because some idiots cant differentiate between fact and fiction. If it wasnt anime, they'd be doing it for something else.

And if you've never seen a person in a simpsons / american cartoon getup... Have you never heard of comic conventions? There is just as much dressing up and farting around goes on for american cartoons / shows / games. Its not just an anime thing.

Fair enough, I can see your point. But just a question. Have you ever been to Japan? I have. Osaka to be exact, and in that city anime had the same stereotype it has in the U.S. Me and the family I was staying with were watching T.V. (one of those silly game shows) and I asked if anime was as popular as it was here. And having also been the U.S. they said no, and to 'BLUNTLY' put it they said it was for "weird people" and that not even kids watched it. Now what would make them say that? I assumed that it meant that it was unpopular. And I do understand that they didn't speak for everyone and that I'm sure plenty of people there do like it, but like I said I based that on the information given to me.

Cant say I have, although I'm currently saving for a trip in the summer of 2010 with a few friends. To say that not even kids watch it is just plain wrong to be honest. Maybe they didnt let their kids watch or something, but shows like naruto / one piece (to name a couple people might actually know, there are tons) have prime time kids TV slots on Japanese telly. Anime is hated yes, but again, it isnt the anime itself which is hated, its the people that are commonly associated with anime, and the otaku hate has absolutely nothing to do with their obsession over anime either.

The general anime / otaku hate stems from an incident in the late eighties where

Between 1988 and 1989, Miyazaki mutilated and killed four girls, ages four to seven; he then sexually molested their corpses. He drank the blood of one victim and ate her hand. The crimeswhich, prior to Miyazaki's apprehension and trial were classified "The Little Girl Murders", and would become known as the Tokyo/Saitama Serial Kidnapping Murders of Little Girls. During the day, Miyazaki was a mild-mannered employee. In his own time, he selected children to kill randomly. He terrorized the families of his victims, sending them letters recalling in graphic detail what he had done to their children. To the family of victim Erika Nanba, Miyazaki sent a morbid postcard assembled using words cut out of magazines, spelling out: "Erika. Cold. Cough. Throat. Rest. Death."

(side note, he was executed in June of this year, probably as a result of the more recent "akiba massacre")

and it was discovered that he was indeed an anime obsessed otaku. Whilst the fact that he was mentally unstable is far more likely to have caused him to do this, The anti anime stigma has continued to this day, and it is now hated pretty much for the sake of hating it.

Another incident happened not so long ago, where a man went on a killing spree (by japan standards - he killed 4 people, damn in America that wouldnt even make national news) in the Akihabara district of Tokyo, which is famous for being the otaku capital of Japan. The media this time blamed violent videogames (man JT has gone international!), which refuelled the otaku hate somewhat. I'm not saying it isnt hated, I'm just saying that there is no real reason to hate it at all. And thats why the original comment of "they hate it so why shouldnt we?" was just plain stupid.

Tk5SF.png

[hide=Gigantanormous quote block]

Well, yeah, thats what you'd call a "weaboo". I agree that some of them should be taken out round the back and shot. As with every hobby there are people who just take it too far. That said, I'm all for cosplaying. I think it looks fantastic, it takes skill, time and dedication to create a great looking cosplay. But you shouldnt call the anime corruptive just because some idiots cant differentiate between fact and fiction. If it wasnt anime, they'd be doing it for something else.

And if you've never seen a person in a simpsons / american cartoon getup... Have you never heard of comic conventions? There is just as much dressing up and farting around goes on for american cartoons / shows / games. Its not just an anime thing.

Cant say I have, although I'm currently saving for a trip in the summer of 2010 with a few friends. To say that not even kids watch it is just plain wrong to be honest. Maybe they didnt let their kids watch or something, but shows like naruto / one piece (to name a couple people might actually know, there are tons) have prime time kids TV slots on Japanese telly. Anime is hated yes, but again, it isnt the anime itself which is hated, its the people that are commonly associated with anime, and the otaku hate has absolutely nothing to do with their obsession over anime either.

The general anime / otaku hate stems from an incident in the late eighties where

Between 1988 and 1989, Miyazaki mutilated and killed four girls, ages four to seven; he then sexually molested their corpses. He drank the blood of one victim and ate her hand. The crimeswhich, prior to Miyazaki's apprehension and trial were classified "The Little Girl Murders", and would become known as the Tokyo/Saitama Serial Kidnapping Murders of Little Girls. During the day, Miyazaki was a mild-mannered employee. In his own time, he selected children to kill randomly. He terrorized the families of his victims, sending them letters recalling in graphic detail what he had done to their children. To the family of victim Erika Nanba, Miyazaki sent a morbid postcard assembled using words cut out of magazines, spelling out: "Erika. Cold. Cough. Throat. Rest. Death."

(side note, he was executed in June of this year, probably as a result of the more recent "akiba massacre")

and it was discovered that he was indeed an anime obsessed otaku. Whilst the fact that he was mentally unstable is far more likely to have caused him to do this, The anti anime stigma has continued to this day, and it is now hated pretty much for the sake of hating it.

Another incident happened not so long ago, where a man went on a killing spree (by japan standards - he killed 4 people, damn in America that wouldnt even make national news) in the Akihabara district of Tokyo, which is famous for being the otaku capital of Japan. The media this time blamed violent videogames (man JT has gone international!), which refuelled the otaku hate somewhat. I'm not saying it isnt hated, I'm just saying that there is no real reason to hate it at all. And thats why the original comment of "they hate it so why shouldnt we?" was just plain stupid.

[/hide]

Oh, so that's what that is. I didn't know there was a term for it.... Anyway, yeah I see what you mean, but I based what I said of my own personal experience. And I wasn't talking about conventions per se, where it would at least be relevant, I'm talking about a regular day at school which is defiantly out of the ordinary.

Oh, and Japan is pretty cool, but be warned, they have very odd toilets \' . Oh and yes, you can buy fancy electronics that haven't been sent west for low prices :-# . And it's true, Hello Kitty is HUGE over there; every town had their own official Hello Kitty doll. Osaka's is a teddy bear Hello Kitty if I remember right and Saga's is a mudfish Hello Kitty.

And that thing about that murder is very....disturbing to say the least. Kind of hard to see how he would get that far with his crime given the number of cops there are. Seriously there was one on every corner it seemed like.

Code geass - Seriously all of you. Watch this, starting from season one. It is the most awesome thing on at the moment. I'm on the edge of my seat all week waiting for the next episode

I've seen like three episodes of that, and in every episode I saw there was at least one scene where some random naked chick got some airtime with her ta-tas*. It's like hentai under another name.

*hides open bittorrent window*

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I've seen like three episodes of that, and in every episode I saw there was at least one scene where some random naked chick got some airtime with her ta-tas*. It's like hentai under another name.

*hides open bittorrent window*

on the season one DVD release theres an entire 10 minute short ep devoted to all the girls taking a bath and one of them getting pinned down and having her measurements taken. I'd say its still tasteful (meaning no hentai) but you cant really make a scene like that tasteful in the least.

Its pretty win.

Tk5SF.png

I hate anime too, it always seems the same....Some ninja walking around the entire world with some....."Lagre Chested" girl, and all they do every day is kill a demon thing to save the girl...makes no sense every time....life for them must get pretty boring being so repetitive. =P

epicphail7.jpg

^ :shame: CAUTION :shame: : Jangofett880's blog may be hazardous to any idividual with heart, kidney or liver problems, or those that are pregnate, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK^

JANGOFETT2.jpg

^TO MY SUPER AWESOME CLAN^