Anime, It's Not That Good

Hello people,

I don't get anime, why is it so huge, like 50% of OT watches anime. What's the point of watching a glorified cartoon? The plots make no sense. I know some people that get turned on while watching anime. Seriously if stuff that turns you on..well..:uhh:

BUT... If you like anime I will let you tell me why, and defend anime.

Someone enlighten me to the "good" parts in anime.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post Removed ~ Shazarabbit

QQ, [bleep].

I'll give you an honest answer from an honest man...like myself. This comes from a view of someone who hasn't seen much but is slowly getting into it a bit.

I dunno, cartoons in general are popular. I guess it has some aesthetic appeal to some people? Perhaps it's just all that more intriguing to them! I guess this grants it its popularity over some of the more 'American' cartoons, but...to each their own.

People watch it for...entertainment. Painfully obvious...or so I thought.

The plots make no sense? Well, that's just a drastic generalisation. Then again, I'm sure a man such as yourself has delightfully read into every plot.

Oh, and I'm sure that makes up most of the anime watching populace! Some have their own kinks and stuff, and some don't. In the same way people may find 'Jessica Rabbit' attractive, I'm sure in the same way, some will find an anime character attractive. What does it matter...this weird phenomena isn't solely isolated to anime.

Plus, it's best just to ignore the Japanophiles/weeaboos, if you're going to take a stab at that.

Why would anyone waste their time with trying to defend it or enlighten you? lol.

p915h.gif

Perhaps it's the action? Now that I think about it, American cartoons usually revolve around only humor. Plus, the anime makers have a lot more lenience when it comes explosions, monsters, machines, and all that good stuff than they would in real life.

I'm willing to bet it's the action. I mean, what do we have? Only the Roadrunner and Coyote.

I don't watch anime because there really isn't much access to it in England.

It's not on any of the channels I can get, and I don't like watching stuff on the internet.

I'm sure if I found a good anime programme I'd watch it.

spacescenev24.jpg

I tried for about 6 months to get into anime but I just couldn't. I really would like it explained why it's so popular. I mean, stuff on tv or in books just doesn't get published unless it's popular. What makes it so attractive?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I debated with myself over whether I would reply to this, but I've decided it can't hurt.

Glorified cartoon? K, it's an animated show. Not much more to it than that.

Plot makes no sense? Try watching it from the beginning, in English.

Turns you on? You are thinking of Hentai. Beyond that, people get turned on by strange things. Western cartoons included. To each his own.

Really there is nothing more to anime than a Japanese cartoon. Anime is heavy with Japanese culture and the humor will sometimes escape Western viewers, but in the end it is no different than any other TV show in that it is made to entertain. Some animes are amazing, some are awful. It is a Japanese show like Bugs Bunny is American. Have I said that enough?

Some people do take it too far, though. Stay away from the weaboos.

p2gq.jpg

Perhaps it's the action? Now that I think about it, American cartoons usually revolve around only humor. Plus, the anime makers have a lot more lenience when it comes explosions, monsters, machines, and all that good stuff than they would in real life.

I'm willing to bet it's the action. I mean, what do we have? Only the Roadrunner and Coyote.

American animation can have the same things dude, ever seen most of the stuff on [AS]?

Personally I hate any form of anime whatsoever. I don't know why, but I can't stand it. Maybe it's because it takes itself too seriously, or maybe I hate the corruptive effects it has on impressionable people (you know what I'm talking about).

Then again I don't like most newer mainstream cartoons either. Nowadays it just seems like they are made for 1st graders with autism (no offense to anyone).

I have no idea why it is [somewhat] popular in the States, I mean it falls in the same stereotypical "weird" group in Japan. And if Japanese people think it's bad, why don't Americans? But whatever, I'm not here to tell anyone what to do with their time.

I really don't like anime. I kind of did, when I was a kid, but it really wasn't much. I like dragonball z (badass show, I still like it) and then when they started showing naruto. But I missed one episode of naruto and I got completely lost, so I gave up. Other than that I really don't like anime.

Range_0r.png

Anyways, BBL OFF TO SLEEP WITH A RACCOON

American animation can have the same things dude, ever seen most of the stuff on [AS]?

I get what you're saying but it's two different cultures so there are two different types of action. Adult Swim cartoons are more gory and humorous, whereas the Japanese ones have a more serious tone about them with more of a storyline too.

And also note how different the fighting is. In America, it's brawling, but in Japan, it's mostly robots and Burning Sun Beam Attack!'s.

I get what you're saying but it's two different cultures so there are two different types of action. Adult Swim cartoons are more gory and humorous, whereas the Japanese ones have a more serious tone about them with more of a storyline too.

And also note how different the fighting is. In America, it's brawling, but in Japan, it's mostly robots and Burning Sun Beam Attack!'s.

Well yeah, they have obvious differences. I thought you just were kind of implying western cartoons were only like the old nicktoons and [cabbage].

Berserk. Watch that (it's like 13 or 20 episodes?), and you'll fall in love with anime.

What's different from Cartoons, is that it's more realistic, and basic physics do apply to most animes, but you get the added 'magic' or paranormal explanations that you don't get in Cartoons.

In Cartoons, anything can happen, someone floating, someone turning into a balloon, with no explanation, there's no laws.

In Anime, certain laws of physics aren't broken, merely bent by some paranormal force 90% of the time.

Anime also has more mature themes. Humour, evil, good, emotions, death, life, and a lot of philosophy is present in it, but it's much more oriented towards 15+, then say Cartoons that are for 8-12.

Anyways, Anime to me is an acquired taste. You need to learn and understand a lot of the sub-themes going on to really appreciate what is actually going on. At any time in 'good' animes, there's at least 5-7 conspiracies going on, or plots. Anyways it's more entertaining than most non-anime shows.

anime = cartoon, lol.

NO!!! never call anime a cartoon that's just insulting.

a cartoon is made for a younger audience while anime is made for a more mature one.

What? there's tons of shows all directed at and made for different audiences. some shows are made for adults, kids, etc.

plus, you don't even know what a cartoon is.

animated cartoon

n.

A motion picture or television film consisting of a photographed series of drawings, objects, or computer graphics that simulates motion by recording very slight, continuous changes in the images, frame by frame.

car·toon (kär-tn)

n.

a. A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.

b. A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.

2. A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it.

3. An animated cartoon.

4. A comic strip.

5. A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoon.

p915h.gif

anime = cartoon, lol.

a cartoon is made for a younger audience while anime is made for a more mature one.

South Park is a cartoon - it sure isn't anime.

anime = cartoon, lol.

South Park is a cartoon - it sure isn't anime.

stop motion animation :D

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

MOD EDIT: Removed the first line that was regarding the above posts which have since been removed ~ Shazarabbit

Anyway, I enjoy anime. As long as I think the story is decent enough I'll watch it. Bleach especially.

GAH! Haven't watched that in forever.

stop motion animation :D

Alright: ATHF, Family Guy, Drawn Together, Venture Brothers. None of those are anime, yet they were all meant to appeal to a mature audience.

Also, would you say that Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z are not anime?

They're the same thing. Look at what Adio said.

This thread needs far more gyabo/and or mukya.

Okay, alright, I'll be serious about it. I myself used to dislike anime a great deal but I'd only watched stuff like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and related. I even used to troll anime fans; I would say that "it's for kids" and tell them to grow up. All of that changed when I found out that there's more to anime than shounens.. The first time I watched a seinen anime (Clannad) I fell completely in love. The animation is beautiful, the story is beautiful and it moved me to tears the first time I watched it, as much as any sad film would. Watch it and love it.

I moved on from that and I got into various other genres, particularly slice-of-life stuff and harem stories, particularly Lucky Star and Haibane Renmei. Anime isn't all about ninjas in jumpsuits and huge, overdone fights; so I'd recommend that you watch anything that I've mentioned before you make the decision that "it's not that good". If you don't like any of that stuff, try a different genre until you find something that you do like. I guarantee that there'll be something that you really enjoy somewhere.

Also, Nodame Cantabile is pure genius.

And who has something against weeaboos? D: Edit: the ignorance level in this thread is at such a high level that it's not even worth justifying it with a stupid overused meme.

This thread needs far more gyabo/and or mukya.

Okay, alright, I'll be serious about it. I myself used to dislike anime a great deal but I'd only watched stuff like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and related. I even used to troll anime fans; I would say that "it's for kids" and tell them to grow up. All of that changed when I found out that there's more to anime than shounens.. The first time I watched a seinen anime (Clannad) I fell completely in love. The animation is beautiful, the story is beautiful and it moved me to tears the first time I watched it, as much as any sad film would. Watch it and love it.

I moved on from that and I got into various other genres, particularly slice-of-life stuff and harem stories, particularly Lucky Star and Haibane Renmei. Anime isn't all about ninjas in jumpsuits and huge, overdone fights; so I'd recommend that you watch anything that I've mentioned before you make the decision that "it's not that good". If you don't like any of that stuff, try a different genre until you find something that you do like. I guarantee that there'll be something that you really enjoy somewhere.

Also, Nodame Cantabile is pure genius.

And who has something against weeaboos? D: Edit: the ignorance level in this thread is at such a high level that it's not even worth justifying it with a stupid overused meme.

You know, your story reminds me of when I was getting into extreme metal. I sorta did the same thing, except with Burzum, etc. xD

I'd probably be looking out for more stuff to watch if I wasn't as terribly lazy as I was these days. :/

p915h.gif