What is the most stable medium in which to store gold?

tiggehdroih

The most stable medium to store gold?

I'm probably reading this wrong, but as just gp? xD I'd much rather have a huge pile of cash rotting in the bank as opposed to having a bunch of phats where you risk losing massive amounts of money.

Rares are hard to sell, I'd pick something that is high in demand and will stay that way for a long time.

MSSW4TI.png

Currently P2P

stats

I would of thought that the value of gp is rising, as the majority of items are decreasing in value, therefore meaning you can get more for your cash. The value of dragon bones and hides (typical things I collect to gain money) for example are pretty much the same as they were 2 years ago when I last played, but the price of all barrows sets has literally halved and the dragon chain has lost 14 mill gp of value since last time I played.

So, I'd just leave my gp as it is.

But.. if you're convinced that the value of gp is going down, I'd invest in somthing that there will always be a demand for, such as dragon bones and hides (these have gone down in value but only because of the grand exchange release.. i think)

Chris_2_8.png

To spend it and have fun, foolproof :P

I think High's right. Invest in your skills.

Or else, just leave it as GP. The RL economy's also inflating all the time, but i doubt you buy antiques or w/e and just store your cash as plain old cash in a bank.

you're basic idea is flawed. same example of 2b as used before, you buy 100k rune full helms (2b/20k) 2 years later you come back into the game, the helms didnt change price because of their alching value. so you now sell your full helms for 20k each and end with 2b. to effectively store it, you do not need something that holds its value, you need something that holds its value in comparison to the whole economy.

You mean what item goes with the inflation and deflation? Like if there is more gp that goes into the game, that item would rise in price? Because I mean, there's no point in buying an item which doesn't change in price, because later when you sell it you'll get the same amount of gp you had before.

But like you said, partyhats were like that before, when inflation came, they went up in price, by a lot. This was because they acted as a buffer for the inflation, while everything else remained pretty much unaffected. They don't do that these days though, since the merchants and stakers and all are gone, which is why there are so many price fluctuations in every day items. They may start doing that again though, because there are more and more rich investors sucking up the gp out of the economy these days.

But to be honest, pretty much any item goes with the inflation/deflation these days. If it's an inflation, there's an increase in the average item value, unlike before when it only happened to partyhats (and other rares).

But yeah, there's no point in buying up an item which stays the same price as before, because you'd just get the gp you spent in it back :?

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I'm probably reading this wrong, but as just gp? xD I'd much rather have a huge pile of cash rotting in the bank as opposed to having a bunch of phats where you risk losing massive amounts of money.

Rares are hard to sell, I'd pick something that is high in demand and will stay that way for a long time.

There is an actual gold LIMIT. It's a little over 2.1B. Very rich people often have to store their gold in items to get around this.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

There is an actual gold LIMIT. It's a little over 2.1B. Very rich people often have to store their gold in items to get around this.

It's the stack limit for anything in Java, and, unless I am mistaken, the stack limit for anything that runs in 32-bit.

On topic though, buy some skills with it... If you have all 99s, buy more exp and thus more ranks.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Rune daggers seem to remain steady, at least if i remember right.

They always sell instantly when i get them as a drop

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Jagex has set limits on certain items from going too far below the high alch value.

So, Rune b-axs, scimitars, platelegs, full helms, med helms, daggers, ... the list goes on ... will not change in value, and even if they do, you can still high alch them and get your money back (free alchs anyone?). Their value might even increase, but they definitely will not fall.

Just look through the items database, and unless Jagex changes the high alch values, it'll be ok to store.

BTW - if you had 2b in coins, this would be the way to make more gp, store a bit, and then keep merching.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• 2 weeks later...
The reason that GP are going down in price is the huge influx of them into runescape. High alching, selling stuff to the store and more recently the lumbridge trainers and minigames are bringing far far more gold into the economy than is going out. A comparison to this would be zimbabwe. The president is printing off huge amounts of notes, which he then exchanges for foreign money, giving himself a larger share of the pie as far as the contries wealth goes. Just because the president is printing money doesnt mean that the country gets any richer. The weath/value of the country is the same, but as the number of dollars is increasing, the value of each dollar is going down. The same applies for GP, but nothing like the same rate as zimbabwe. Huge amounts of gold are being brought into the economy, but very little of it is going out (dropping and barows are the only main source, and they are tiny compared to whats coming in), so the value of each GP, like the dollar, goes down.

This isnt much of an issue for anything except savings.(an example, numbers at random) If the total of runecapes money is 200 billion coins, and i have 2 billion, i have 1% of runescapes money. If i come back in a years time and the amount of coins in runescape is 400 billion, i now have 0.5% of runescapes money, and have effectively halved my wealth.

Numbers and statistices above entirely made up, gold is not going down that fast(i hope)

There's Construction, Crystal bows/sheilds, and many other things as well.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

And that's the point where I think "why bother concerning yourself with what the most stable medium is?"

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

And that's the point where I think "why bother concerning yourself with what the most stable medium is?"

but that doesnt seem to be the point of the thread. my impression was that he was taking a break and didnt want to lose wealth. storing in a constant medium does no more good than keeping it as gold. if the goal is to store more than 2.1b with having quick access to the money, then any number of rune items sold generally at alch value will suffice.

you're basic idea is flawed. same example of 2b as used before, you buy 100k rune full helms (2b/20k) 2 years later you come back into the game, the helms didnt change price because of their alching value. so you now sell your full helms for 20k each and end with 2b. to effectively store it, you do not need something that holds its value, you need something that holds its value in comparison to the whole economy.

This was worded very well. You'd just end up with the same 2b that you could have left with cash - but you wouldn't have had to risk the helms going down.

I don't really know, personally. Anything that you feel is "in high demand" and could possibly keep up with the inflation, could EASILY go down for whatever reason while you're gone. I would just say keep the money as gold.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

I've been inactive for over 1.5 yrs (from RS), and probably a year from Tip.it... but I did take a peek at the GE today...

From what I understood of this thread thus far- we're plagued with inflation (well, RS always has), and you're searching for an item whose value increases with inflation? Basically, how, in the real world, certain items are immune to inflation, something similar to a bond?

In that case, stay away from raw materials- supply and demand will remain a factor there. Also, stay away from anything low in price, as stated before. Try to look for something that has a relatively high, stable price- Party Hats did that previously... Nowadays, you'd want something that will always remain in demand, but whose supply factor will not fluctuate- no items solely taken by drops, high level skills, etc.

If the above conditions are met, very few items remain, and it all depends on your wealth... Greater levels of wealth yield more expensive items, of course.

Since I am not knowledgeable on current prices, I cannot state the items, but perhaps a bit of insight here may assist...

signatureforkam42705lorpj5.jpg

i mean wth no1 cares about that weak noob that was scared of the great almighty lord ZAROS!

the best way would be to diversify your wealth everywhere in all aspects of the game...that would prove to be the most stable form seriously...every investor will know that =) also, buy primary products and raw materials which are traded heavily and items whose quantity is high in the game so that people cannot manipulate the prices easily

i know the previous post above mine says "stay away from raw materials" but these are the really good items to have a constant wealth...this is because they will always be in demand and always be in supply and the amount of raw materials in the game is huge so slight changes in demand and supply will not affect the price much...

if i were you i would buy some fish (lobsters, swordfish both raw and cooked), logs (yew, maple, magic), ores (coal, gold) and stuff like that...if you check history of these items, their prices have fluctuated together with the RS economy...lobsters were around 200 a few years back but now with inflation they are around 230...coal has also always hovered around the 200GP mark, magic logs around the 1k mark for as far as i know although they have increased to 1.2k with inflation now..

i've been playing RS for 6 years and the prices of all these items have not changed much since then unless something big happened like jagex announcing that PvP is going to come back making lobster prices jump to 260 (i made 6M just buying and selling lobsters and swordies :P ) so these items would be good for you to store your wealth in =) just remember not to buy food items now since their prices are jacked up by speculative demand...

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

That is true, but the ever-slight fluctuations in the supply factor would change everything- basically, low prices, coupled with a slight change, and most of your wealth within the item yields major income fluctuations even if the price changed by 1 gp per. Not to mention that the stable prices means that you're better off keeping cash, since the price doesn't increase with inflation... Small changes in the supply/demand of raw materials affect their prices more so than inflation in this game, due to the relative intermingling of the community/worlds. Basically, you'd be better off diversifying, as the above post mentions, but to diversify, you'd have to liquidate first (File for bankruptcy protection! xD)...

In diverisfying- always have a few ores/bars (preferably coal, runite, adamantite, iron) [price of these is the same, they're more of a benchmark for your wealth], fish (lobsters, sharks??) [perhaps], logs (yews and magic logs), bows (yew longs, hi-alchable), and perhaps herbs? You may also consider

signatureforkam42705lorpj5.jpg

i mean wth no1 cares about that weak noob that was scared of the great almighty lord ZAROS!

An item that's essential and will soon be needed even more.

ie) New pvp update coming out, people will need more food, lobsters/sharks may go up. Invest in lobsters/sharks.

wfrarxm0.jpg

Of course it's a bad idea to invest in them now, but look out for future updates.