Today...

Leoo

If you can still type properly you are not drunk enough.

Not everyone enjoys blacking out, pissing themselves, and waking up in some strange place that they have no recollection of like you seem to frequently do.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I have never peed myself while drunk if you mean that. Here is the distinction between British and American English, pissed in British English means completely wasted, not peeing themselves. I also prefer to use trousers, colours, centre and et cetera, as that is the way I was taught in school.

Also, I am a bloody North-Eastern European, our national sport is drinking and if it is dark most of the year we would all just commit suicide otherwise.

• Like 2

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Today I went to the zoo! That was fun, feeding the animals and all.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

My breakfast came out perfect this morning.

I have turkey bacon, eggs, hot cocoa, toast, and (usually) a slice of homemade chocolate-coffee bread. Decided to make some potatoes this morning, too. Sauteed some potatoes with cinnamon and then roasted them for 10 minutes at 500 degrees.

Sometimes I overcook the eggs, or the yolk breaks. Sometimes I don't remember to adjust the toaster and burn the toast a bit. Sometimes the bacon is too crispy. But not today.

It was a really good way to start the day.

[hide=crappy picture of breakfast]xd42gRs.jpg[/hide]

• Like 3

ozXHe7P.png

Ingredients

• 2 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee
  • 2 tbsp butter (softened) or vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 egg white
Directions
  • Combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, yeast, instant coffee, sugar, and cocoa powder in bowl until well mixed.
  • Mix in butter, water, and molasses until dough forms. (Note: I just stick the dry ingredients into food processor, add wet ingredients on top, and run until 30 seconds after dough ball forms on blade.)
  • Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise in covered bowl for 1-2 hours, until dough doesn't bounce back from pressing finger 1/2 inch into dough ball.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bread pans. Separate dough into two halves. Press into bread pan, uniformly spreading to cover bottom. Brush top with egg white. Optionally top with sprinkle of granulated sugar.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 190 F.
It's about 1100-1200 calories/loaf. I get 12 slices. They're not very tall, maybe 1.5-2 inches.

I adopted the recipe from a similarly named chocolate coffee bread from a recipe book for a bread machine. My bread machine broke but I loved the bread. I think mine is better, but what do I know.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Wanna start laughing or crying? Share something anti-vegan on facebook, for example the comment from our main Children's Hospital's head pediatrician that vegan kids are sicker than regular kids and watch the hate and idiocy flow. Within a few hours there have been brought up flat earth, denial of evolution and further nonsense.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I think you're suggesting that keeping kosher is a poor dietary choice which is odd to me because I've always heard it as a healthy eating choice.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

What makes you think kosher is unhealthy? I'd rather think of it as more healthy as you have to know where the food is coming from. Also, most styles of meat and all green stuff is permitted.

In here, the veganism and vegetarianism isn't that widespread. One reason is that we have a lot colder climate and thus we are more used to consuming more meat and especially dairy products. Try to tell an eskimo to become a vegan and see what his reaction will be.

Vegetarians who ate dairy and egg products have been around for ages, but that new full-on veganism is a craze and somewhat of a fashion statement. Mostly followed by city people who have expendable income and are willing to spend it on bullshit, like trophy wives and such. Other group is young girls, aged 12-20. And as such, the loudest supporters on facebook around here at least are somewhat (ok, rather completely) morons. And it just makes sense to annoy them and try to make sense to them, specially if people do get hurt by it, cause they don't know how to eat properly. And they [bleep]ing spread around that veganism like a religion. Everyone who does not eat vegan is a murderer and a bad person.

Granted, there are some smart people out there, who give recommendations about dietary supplements and know a bit about the stuff, but they generally don't take the flamebait and keep to themselves. I can handle these people and I even know one such person quite well.

But to that one smart person I know 15 who share total bullshit daily and sometimes even start messaging random people like "Why do you murder animals? Why do you eat meat?" Those people annoy the crap out of me and should be annoyed back.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

It just doesn't make sense to argue about how unhealthy a diet is. If veganism is unhealthy, then a "normal' diet is even worse, what with all the cases of heart disease and diabetes. The reality is that some people don't take their nutrition seriously and they develop unhealthy eating habits as a result, but the diet itself isn't fundamentally flawed. There are plenty of people who are perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, including a number of athletes. But attacking a casual vegan for being unhealthy is just as bad as making fun of fat people for eating like shit.

And honestly they probably are right about not eating meat. The more you know about the meat industry, the worse it seems. It's not an industry you can support in good conscience. I just care more about eating chicken than feeling good about myself.

It just doesn't make sense to argue about how unhealthy a diet is. If veganism is unhealthy, then a "normal' diet is even worse, what with all the cases of heart disease and diabetes. The reality is that some people don't take their nutrition seriously and they develop unhealthy eating habits as a result, but the diet itself isn't fundamentally flawed. There are plenty of people who are perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, including a number of athletes. But attacking a casual vegan for being unhealthy is just as bad as making fun of fat people for eating like shit.

And honestly they probably are right about not eating meat. The more you know about the meat industry, the worse it seems. It's not an industry you can support in good conscience. I just care more about eating chicken than feeling good about myself.

Is a normal diet actually worse, though? It's true that vegans/vegetarians have lower rates of heart disease than the general population, but I suspect it's due to two main factors (neither of which have much to do with any health benefits of vegan/vegitarianism).

1) Vegans/Vegetarians are likely to be significantly more well off than average. It's a well accepted fact that (at least in North America) obesity is more prevalent among the poor, because high calorie low nutrient food is usually cheaper than healthier alternatives.

2) Vegans/Vegetarians who want to stay alive have to pay much more attention to their diet, since the restrictions make it harder to get appropriate nutrients. A serious vegan, for example, has to be aware of calorie counts and protien levels in pretty much all of their food, to ensure they're getting appropriate nutrition. I suspect that if you tested a group of "normal" eaters who also took the same care to consume the proper levels of calories and macronutrients, you'd probably find their health outcomes were pretty similar, despite the meat consumption.

On a somewhat related note, I'm also not convinced by veganism/vegetarianism from a moral perspective. Sure, the industrial meat industry is pretty sleazy, but it is possible to buy ethically sourced meat etc. I've also heard arguments about not wanting to cause pain to animals, but I haven't found that particularly convincing either. Basically every organism on earth (including plants) has some kind of sensory perception that functions like pain does in mammals. It seems like choosing to draw the line at fish/meat is more based on an emotional connection we have to these creatures due to similarity, than something that really represents objective scientific fact...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

A good normal diet probably isn't worse than a good vegan diet, but the argument against veganism always pits good normal diets against bad vegan diets. If you want to make fun of the sorority girl who only eats pasta and oreos, you should also recognize that her diet wouldn't be any healthier if she started eating non-vegan food.

A good normal diet probably isn't worse than a good vegan diet, but the argument against veganism always pits good normal diets against bad vegan diets. If you want to make fun of the sorority girl who only eats pasta and oreos, you should also recognize that her diet wouldn't be any healthier if she started eating non-vegan food.

True, but often it cuts the other way - where an argument for veganism pits a good vegan diet against a bad normal diet.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I went to an event a couple of weeks ago and the event's page finally uploaded the pictures taken that night onto their Facebook page. I scrolled through them and stumbled upon a picture of a girl that used to go to school with me back in South Africa. Sent her a message on Facebook and turns out she moved to Qatar about 5 months ago. She's one of those girls who was very average looking in High School but turned into a solid 9. She works for Qatar Airways as an air hostess so she spends more time out of the country than in it, but she's very keen on meeting up when she's back. I think it would be fun "reconnecting" with someone from my home town again.

Diet is such a difficult thing to navigate, and we've done nothing as a society to make it easier on ourselves. On the one side, we keep declaring certain things to be blanket good or bad (only to find out later that we did so with a 'four humors' level of understanding of nutritional science), and on the other end food companies have incredible leeway to be misleading or omit details about what is in our food (if they aren't outright lying). So you're stuck trying to figure out who is giving the least wrong nutritional advice while also trying to figure out what it is you're actually eating. I think even for people who can afford to be choosy about what they consume, they just give up trying to sort it out and eat whatever.

That's not to say that we shouldn't be trying to figure this stuff out. Just, the more we learn the more obvious it seems to be that nutrition is a proper medical field, and should be treated as such; not some headline fodder pseudo science.

If I had to take a stab at what medical blunder we will be ridiculed for by future generations, not taking nutrition seriously would certainly make my list of potential nominations.

• Like 1

I mean, I do not oppose veganism or the smart vegans who do know what they are doing and do not preach that stuff.

What annoys me are the stupid tag-alongs who have been vegan for about a year or less, don't really know that much about nutrition and stuff and get on everybody else's asses without provocation. I mean I had to block a person as she (almost always a she) started to send me private messages about how can I eat meat and how I should be a vegan like she is.

Also, pro-vegan claims like:

1) eating meat fills your brain's blood vessels

2) 14 out of 15 deaths occur due to meat consumption

3)  humans have never ever needed meat and it is not natural to eat it

and other such ridiculous claims.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I have made incredible progress on my secret project. Over 700 hours logged since late September, plus another few hundred hours collecting data, researching and designing, and running expensive computations on my desktop (only a broad estimate). Today I finished the initial core functionality of a major feature. It passes all the unit tests, so tomorrow I'll integrate it into the module proper.

I expect to launch it within the next few weeks. After the current module (2 weeks or so), I have to develop a web front-end (I'd say two weeks or so, I only need a small control panel of sorts). Even though I normally hate web development, I'm looking actually forward to that part because I'll be using MoonScript (a language that compiles to Lua) via OpenResty. The awesome part is I'll be able to use a custom IPC protocol that my project uses via OpenResty because they both are built on LuaJIT! So this means the logic for the control panel will be very simple; pretty much just a front-end for the management events sent over my protocol.

I'm very excited. It's feels like when I was a kid on Christmas Eve. But I'm also worried about it failing...

edit: Also here's a fresh loaf of the chocolate coffee bread:

2Tr0EmC.jpg

I drizzled a little chocolate glaze, too.

ozXHe7P.png