Today...

Leoo

Today I had traditional Shrove Tuesday meals. [bleep]ing delicious. And that stuff ain't anywhere else.

Shrove Tuesday is one of the most beloved Christian holidays here at all. Everybody goes sledging or skating and you can't really get anything else the shrove buns and pea soup on this day. In some places, kids still learn to make spinning tops out of pig bones.

I did them when I was smaller.

Otherwise, two days till vacation.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I just spent 3 hours making engineering drawings on the wrong template. I guess I'm going to be up all night re-dimensioning everything. Tomorrow is my day to drive too. Zzzz.....

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I've heard that called a Hot Toddy before. Works wonders.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

The girlfriend and I got a hold of a black light and some glow in the dark bubble bath today. You basically just wind up with purple bubbles and glowing water.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I've been through every emotion in the book. I received the news that the colleague who strangled me has been reinstated to his position working alongside me to support students..... And I think it's an absolute joke

I've been upset angry disappointed shocked you name it.

I'm now pretty numb. The head of the university is basically saying it's taking a long time to decide because there's differences in what I'm saying with what he's saying. I'd agree that it would be challenging if not for the voice recording of him telling me straight up that he "grabbed me by the neck" and essentially verifying that he thinks strangling people is a necessary course of action with someone who throws cold water on you.

By reinstating him with literally no punishment whatsoever it's just affirming that it's okay to assault people here and it makes me sick thinking about it. I'm at a genuine loss for what time do.

I run around campus supporting students from panic attacks to thoughts of suicide and I get assaulted and use the system to bring my assailant to justice and he's in fact given back his job even with evidence that a one-sided act if violence occurred.

Is the school aware of your restraining order? I'd think it would be pretty hard for this person to be employed at the same place as you if you have this restraining order requiring them to stay away.

Is the school aware of your restraining order? I'd think it would be pretty hard for this person to be employed at the same place as you if you have this restraining order requiring them to stay away.

This is a good idea, it's a situation where a restraining order can really help.

Just...be vigilant. Restraining orders are useful things to have, and I certainly advocate on the side of obtaining and using them. But they aren't force fields.

College Trials are a complete joke that always(hyperbole, sue me) side with the male. Go to a real court with your restraining order and tell the real court that the education administration is violating the terms of your restraining order. Your Dean and board of directors is not a real court.

The trip is upcoming... Tonight already!

Excited af.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I honestly think it's a complete joke how the universities are allowed to set up this whole kangaroo court system for sexual assault and related matters, and then try to put responsibility on the staff and faculty. It's pretty clear that this should be delegated to a real police department and court, and handled appropriately there. But I think they want to try and suppress it because it would be incredibly bad publicity for half the athletic team to be in trouble.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Honest question: plagiarism is illegal (violation of copyright, possibly fraud, and others). Surely you don't believe schools should rescind themselves from punishing plagiarism? Or should they turn it over to authorities and wait on their judgment?

There are valid criticisms against school punishment systems (e.g., false accusations of rape resulting in expulsion without recourse despite innocence; and genuine cases of rape being suppressed in order to protect guilty parties). But the argument that X is illegal, so it should be delegated to authorities is not one of them.

In unrelated news, I've bicycled 650 miles since October. More impressively, it's been almost entirely in my neighborhood. Average of 13.6 miles per hour overall, 14.5 miles per hour this year, and 15.6 miles per hour in February. Pretty good, I think.

ozXHe7P.png

Honest question: plagiarism is illegal (violation of copyright, possibly fraud, and others). Surely you don't believe schools should rescind themselves from punishing plagiarism? Or should they turn it over to authorities and wait on their judgment?

There are valid criticisms against school punishment systems (e.g., false accusations of rape resulting in expulsion without recourse despite innocence; and genuine cases of rape being suppressed in order to protect guilty parties). But the argument that X is illegal, so it should be delegated to authorities is not one of them.

I think it's more of a case of potential effectiveness. Like, I wouldn't expect the school to have dealt with my burglary last year, because the police and justice system were more able to effectively find and punish the perpetrator. But I don't expect the police to deal with plagiarism because the academic institution has systems in place to punish plagiarists that are more effective and capable than the police could possibly implement.

I can see the argument, then, that the judicial system is more capable of dealing with assault, since it's not a problem which occurs primarily in academia, the way plagiarism is.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I think it's more of a case of potential effectiveness. Like, I wouldn't expect the school to have dealt with my burglary last year, because the police and justice system were more able to effectively find and punish the perpetrator. But I don't expect the police to deal with plagiarism because the academic institution has systems in place to punish plagiarists that are more effective and capable than the police could possibly implement.

I can see the argument, then, that the judicial system is more capable of dealing with assault, since it's not a problem which occurs primarily in academia, the way plagiarism is.

Except burglary, in your example, is a crime in which the supposed perpetrator is not known in advance (or so I gathered). In the plagiarism case, the suspect is known. In rape accusations (true or false), the suspect is known.

Would your school have done nothing if you had evidence another student burgled you? And was the thief a student?

Again, it's not like this must be an either-or situation. The school can deal with problematic students and so can the justice system.

Also, I was mistaken and the school would inform the copyright holders, not authorities, since it's a civil matter.

ozXHe7P.png

In unrelated news, I've bicycled 650 miles since October. More impressively, it's been almost entirely in my neighborhood. Average of 13.6 miles per hour overall, 14.5 miles per hour this year, and 15.6 miles per hour in February. Pretty good, I think.

Cheating on an exam or copying a paper is not a criminal offense (at least on the surface) and also academic integrity is well within their purview. Assault (of varying kinds) clearly is a criminal offense and in my mind a completely different matter.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Ensuring a safe environment is a duty of the school, especially when we consider students live on campus.

I don't see a problem with a student being expelled for assault. The only problem is when victims are pressured to stay silent, or when expulsion is permanent despite innocence. The former is against Department of Education guidelines and the latter is immoral and unfair.

ozXHe7P.png

As long as school proceedings don't get in the way of criminal proceedings if the affected party wishes to press charges. There seem to be issues with certain universities creating an atmosphere of...I'll say fear, in regards to anyone who takes a complain of say, rape, to the police instead of the university. If someone wants to just go through the university system, then fine, that's their choice. But they should never face punishment from their own school should they decide to take the matter to the police, either directly, or as a result of being unsatisfied with the outcome of the university system.

In this sense, the biggest problem with allowing criminal matters like this to go through university hearings is that it sets them up as a legitimate alternative to the justice system, which in turn gives them the power to 'encourage' students to keep these kinds of matters in house. I don't have a perfect answer to this. Taking accusations of sexual assault or rape to the criminal justice system is often a grueling process, to the point where even those who do get convictions against their attackers sometimes regret taking the matter to court in the first place. In that sense, university hearings can actually be a wonderful alternative for the victim. On the other hand, the fact that we accept that schools should have the right to handle certain criminal behaviors in house is what allows some of them to discourage people who do want to go to the police from doing so.

College Trials are a complete joke that always(hyperbole, sue me) side with the male. Go to a real court with your restraining order and tell the real court that the education administration is violating the terms of your restraining order. Your Dean and board of directors is not a real court.

Maybe I've been sitting in echo chambers for too long but I've seen a lot of high profile sexual assault cases which the schools expelled the male student on dubious evidence and later it was revealed that the girl lied about the incident without the male students being expunged

That's why I had the parenthetical hyperbole warning. The bottom line is there's a huge amount of complaints that the University Courts are almost never correct or moral. I've seen lots of Title IX documentaries citing a disgusting amount of rape cases get tossed out for "lack of proof" despite things as damning as video evidence. But then there are also cases where someone cries wolf and an innocent student gets their life ruined, and I've seen plenty of evidence of this as well. Truly the only fair conclusion is that criminal cases should be handled by an actual authoritative entity and not the [bleep]ing board directors of the University

• Like 1

My roommate left the house at 11pm to go buy one. I left for work at 8am and he was still playing it. Caught a glimpse of the new Zelda game though. Hella pretty.

Today I worked for 12 hours... but at least I ordered Pizza Hut so I was eating that for dinner XD. I'm dead tired right now but I could not sleep because my alliance is at war in Cyber Nations. My nation is at war with 6 other nations, and I'm completely destroying them. That tends to happen when you've been playing the game since 2006, and have enough money saved up in a war reserve to last for 6+ months of nonstop war.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

I made peanut butter blonde brownies a week ago. They came out really good. Replaced half of the sugar with sucralose (aka Splenda) to reduce calories by nearly 1/3rd (or was it 1/4th?).

Tried making whole wheat brownies today (also replacing half the sugar with sucralose). Half white whole wheat flour, half all purpose flour. They came out good, too. Very rich flavor, better texture, but a tiny bit drier than usual. Gonna add more water next time, or maybe a tiny bit of milk.

Also did an experiment. The one serving of the blonde brownie with 1/2 cup of milk filled me up for 1.5 hours. Took ~10 minutes to feel satiated. Didn't get a chance to test the whole wheat brownie yet. Gonna run similar experiments with other meals tomorrow.

ozXHe7P.png