Today...

Leoo

Which company would that be?

(I think Saq just broke the record for biggest multipost)

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Either that or he was just toggl-ing waiting for an answer.

I'll see myself out...

Nah, Either Dax or Goon did a 30-40 post multipost back in the LOTPW days. Back when you could spam click while your internet hung and post as fast as you could click basically.

Sadly, that bug has been fixed now.

Edit: Thinking about it, it may have been 30-40 pages... 2 pages just doesn't seem very impressive, honestly.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Wow Saq really wanted an answer to his question.

Anyway, i think you guys missed my point. My point was that having a "full-service" gas station isn't something you can call "backwards". It's something i'll always support. Like i said, if i have to sit in queue for an extra 10 minutes every time i fill up my car i'll do it, as long as i know i'm keeping a few people off the streets. I understand that in NA and EU people might not feel the same way, as gas is already so expensive in those countries, playing even the slightest bit more to pay for someone else's salary might not be something a lot of people are willing to do. But we pay something like just over $1 per gal (if my rough estimation is correct) so it's really not a big deal to us. 

That being said, i can't even imagine the chaos self-service gas stations would cause here. I actually think people would end up killing themselves by putting themselves on fire, or blowing up the gas stations.

Most men would feel insulted if it were proposed to employ them in throwing stones over a wall, and then in throwing them back, merely that they might earn their wages. But many are no more worthily employed now.

For instance: just after sunrise, one summer morning, I noticed one of my neighbors walking beside his team, which was slowly drawing a heavy hewn stone swung under the axle, surrounded by an atmosphere of industry, — his day's work begun, — his brow commenced to sweat, — a reproach to all sluggards and idlers, — pausing abreast the shoulders of his oxen, and half turning round with a flourish of his merciful whip, while they gained their length on him. And I thought, Such is the labor which the American Congress exists to protect, — honest, manly toil, — honest as the day is long, — that makes his bread taste sweet, and keeps society sweet, — which all men respect and have consecrated; one of the sacred band, doing the needful but irksome drudgery.

Indeed, I felt a slight reproach, because I observed this from a window, and was not abroad and stirring about a similar business. The day went by, and at evening I passed the yard of another neighbor, who keeps many servants, and spends much money foolishly, while he adds nothing to the common stock, and there I saw the stone of the morning lying beside a whimsical structure intended to adorn this Lord Timothy Dexter's premises, and the dignity forthwith departed from the teamster's labor, in my eyes. In my opinion, the sun was made to light worthier toil than this. I may add that his employer has since run off, in debt to a good part of the town, and, after passing through Chancery, has settled somewhere else, there to become once more a patron of the arts.

-- Henry David Thoreau, "Life Without Principle"

Full-services gas attendants are metaphorically employed to throw stones over a wall.

It is an antiquated thought that people must be employed. We are on the edge of a precipice where much labor in the first world--across sectors like transportation and retail--will be eliminated to automation (e.g., robots, AI). This perhaps extends to more skilled fields like law and medicine, where AI can provide speed and accuracy humans could never hope to match.

We must re-evaluate what it means to provide value to society. We must look into providing for all citizens a basic quality of life, and jobs should simply be for personal growth--if you want something other than what is considered necessary--not a requirement to survive.

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

Hot damn, I didn't even realize any of my posts went through :D

My phone froze on the posting button, couldn't do anything.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Wow Saq really wanted an answer to his question.

Anyway, i think you guys missed my point. My point was that having a "full-service" gas station isn't something you can call "backwards". It's something i'll always support. Like i said, if i have to sit in queue for an extra 10 minutes every time i fill up my car i'll do it, as long as i know i'm keeping a few people off the streets. I understand that in NA and EU people might not feel the same way, as gas is already so expensive in those countries, playing even the slightest bit more to pay for someone else's salary might not be something a lot of people are willing to do. But we pay something like just over $1 per gal (if my rough estimation is correct) so it's really not a big deal to us. 

That being said, i can't even imagine the chaos self-service gas stations would cause here. I actually think people would end up killing themselves by putting themselves on fire, or blowing up the gas stations.

There is nothing backwards about having full service available. There is something quite definitely backwards about not allowing people self-service if they choose. Veiva is spot on; full service is pretty close to the equivalent of throwing stones over a wall. Employment in and of itself is not the goal; *useful* employment is, because that's what society benefits from.

Also, people are adaptable. They'd get used to self-serve pretty quickly. Look into Dagen_H (when Sweden switched what side of the road they drove on, in 1967). There were more accidents for a few days, but people quickly got used to it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Most men would feel insulted if it were proposed to employ them in throwing stones over a wall, and then in throwing them back, merely that they might earn their wages. But many are no more worthily employed now.

For instance: just after sunrise, one summer morning, I noticed one of my neighbors walking beside his team, which was slowly drawing a heavy hewn stone swung under the axle, surrounded by an atmosphere of industry, — his day's work begun, — his brow commenced to sweat, — a reproach to all sluggards and idlers, — pausing abreast the shoulders of his oxen, and half turning round with a flourish of his merciful whip, while they gained their length on him. And I thought, Such is the labor which the American Congress exists to protect, — honest, manly toil, — honest as the day is long, — that makes his bread taste sweet, and keeps society sweet, — which all men respect and have consecrated; one of the sacred band, doing the needful but irksome drudgery.

Indeed, I felt a slight reproach, because I observed this from a window, and was not abroad and stirring about a similar business. The day went by, and at evening I passed the yard of another neighbor, who keeps many servants, and spends much money foolishly, while he adds nothing to the common stock, and there I saw the stone of the morning lying beside a whimsical structure intended to adorn this Lord Timothy Dexter's premises, and the dignity forthwith departed from the teamster's labor, in my eyes. In my opinion, the sun was made to light worthier toil than this. I may add that his employer has since run off, in debt to a good part of the town, and, after passing through Chancery, has settled somewhere else, there to become once more a patron of the arts.

Full-services gas attendants are metaphorically employed to throw stones over a wall.

It is an antiquated thought that people must be employed. We are on the edge of a precipice where much labor in the first world--across sectors like transportation and retail--will be eliminated to automation (e.g., robots, AI). This perhaps extends to more skilled fields like law and medicine, where AI can provide speed and accuracy humans could never hope to match.

We must re-evaluate what it means to provide value to society. We must look into providing for all citizens a basic quality of life, and jobs should simply be for personal growth--if you want something other than what is considered necessary--not a requirement to survive.

I watched a video a while back somewhat relating to this. It's a scary thought that eventually humans could become obsolete and be replaced with machines that not only do their job cheaper, but also do it faster, more accurate, etc. With that said, however, certain fields will most likely never be fully automated. Machines still lack the ability to reason, adapt, and adjust in certain aspects. 

Take aviation for example. Right now a modern airliner can just about fly itself. 90% of the flight, if not more, is done purely by the auto-pilot. Most (if not all) Airlines have a policy that once the aircraft reaches a certain height/altitude (something like 18 000ft), auto-pilot is engaged. Auto-pilot is only disengaged again once it reaches a certain height/altitude during the approach segment of the flight. The exception to this rule being certain emergency/distress situations. That being said, the aircraft is more than able to conduct the entire flight with only partial input from humans, or even with no input whatsoever. The pilot is basically just there to fill a seat and look at instruments for the duration of the flight. But like i said, unlike machines, humans have the ability to reason and analyze matter on a level no machine can (yet).

While i believe most fields stand the possibility of becoming automated, i also believe certain fields will never be fully automated and will always require some sort of human presence even if it's only as an observer. 

EDIT: This will most likely come across as extremely stupid, but whatever. I grew up in a country where self-service was non-existent. I don't even think South Africa had the option. To my knowledge every gas station i ever used was a "full-service" station. I think the only times this wasn't the case is when we traveled on holiday and stopped at smaller gas stations in very remote areas. Basically 1-horse towns. But even then, i think they all had at least 1 attendant. I can't be certain since this was a very long time ago. In Qatar though, i don't think self-service exists either. Not to my knowledge anyway. So as far as i'm concerned, i've never used a self-service station except when i was in the US. To be completely honest, my initial thought was something like "What the f is this crap? Why am i pumping my own gas like a pleb?" Ironically i thought having to pump my own gas was "backwards". 

Actually... come to think of it now, i think i misunderstood what you guys meant with "backwards". 

I watched a video a while back somewhat relating to this. It's a scary thought that eventually humans could become obsolete and be replaced with machines that not only do their job cheaper, but also do it faster, more accurate, etc. With that said, however, certain fields will most likely never be fully automated. Machines still lack the ability to reason, adapt, and adjust in certain aspects. 

Take aviation for example. Right now a modern airliner can just about fly itself. 90% of the flight, if not more, is done purely by the auto-pilot. Most (if not all) Airlines have a policy that once the aircraft reaches a certain height/altitude (something like 18 000ft), auto-pilot is engaged. Auto-pilot is only disengaged again once it reaches a certain height/altitude during the approach segment of the flight. The exception to this rule being certain emergency/distress situations. That being said, the aircraft is more than able to conduct the entire flight with only partial input from humans, or even with no input whatsoever. The pilot is basically just there to fill a seat and look at instruments for the duration of the flight. But like i said, unlike machines, humans have the ability to reason and analyze matter on a level no machine can (yet).

While i believe most fields stand the possibility of becoming automated, i also believe certain fields will never be fully automated and will always require some sort of human presence even if it's only as an observer.

There is a pretty large area of "things computers can't do" and an even bigger area of "things computers can't do in a reasonable time", but "react to unexpected inputs" isn't one of them. It's difficult atm, but we're getting closer and closer to making algorithms which compete with or exceed human abilities in that realm.

At that point, active human observation won't really be necessary. Maybe in investigations after an issue happens, but not during operation.

Speaking of gas, I've spent maybe $100 in gas in 3,000 miles on my scooter.

If I had a car, I'd just get a motorcycle endorsement and buy a bit faster scooter (I long for a Genuine Buddy) and still spend little on gas. Car for poor weather, or when I need storage, scooter for everything else.

Of course, it's easier to die! But that's just half the fun.

My first vehicle was a 1983 Nighthawk 650. It was down all last Summer, but I'm hoping to get it running again this year. It doesn't get great mileage (~40mpg), but it's a little better than a car, and way more fun. Of course, now it's not just me, and it's actually a little cheaper to take my car than to take my bike and my wife's.

I had considered a scooter while I was in town, but now I live on a 55mph rural road where most traffic seems to run closer to 65mph.

I have a 50cc scooter and only tried going on 55 mph rural roads once. I will not do that again.

A Genuine Buddy 170i should be capable of 70 MPH aroundabouts, so I'd try it again if I manage to get one. They're affordable, but the nearest dealer is 100 miles away.

ozXHe7P.png

Nah, Either Dax or Goon did a 30-40 post multipost back in the LOTPW days. Back when you could spam click while your internet hung and post as fast as you could click basically.

Sadly, that bug has been fixed now.

Edit: Thinking about it, it may have been 30-40 pages... 2 pages just doesn't seem very impressive, honestly.

I tried to track it down, couldn't find either. I might have done 30/40 posts, but I think Goon beat my record and did do 30/40 pages. Good times, good times.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Yeah but bug exploitation shouldn't count.

Also I don't want robots replacing humans until there's less humans on earth, and more responsibility from those humans to take care of Earth

Something interesting has happened over the past couple of weeks. When i was still "living" in the US i dated this girl for a while. She ended up moving to Portland, we obviously stopped seeing each other, and eventually we stopped talking altogether. About 2 years ago, for whatever reason, i decided to message her on Facebook. We started talking again, catching up, etc. Over the months we progressively started talking more and more. It went from once every other month, to once every other week, to once every other day. The conversations never really consisted of much more than small talk. Whenever i told her about my "travels" to different countries she's always mention how jealous/envious she was, and how she wishes she could travel the world as well. So i few weeks ago i mentioned to her than a friend of mine recently started working for our Airline, how much she's enjoying it, and how she's seen over 20 different countries in the 6 short months she's lived there. I mentioned to her that it might be something she should consider. At the time i didn't think much of it. I figured i'd mention it, she'll give me the usual "yeah i might look into it" response just to be polite, then never mention it again. Well... a couple of days ago she mentioned that she started working on her CV and wanted to know where the best place would be to send it. I was actually caught off guard a bit.

Then she lowkey mentioned that it would be nice to see me again because she felt like "we never really had a chance to see where things would go" just before she popped offline. I take these things with a grain of salt anyway. I have enough experience to know that sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment. But either way, it would actually be really cool if she did end up working here. I think it would be the closest i've ever gotten to "helping someone make their dream a reality".

• Like 1

Last night, I got no less than 3 separate texts/calls about a birthday party for my uncle going on today. This morning, I had super bad anxiety, such that I couldn't even get out of bad. I told people I wasn't coming, and I have today gotten no less than 3 phone calls asking if I was coming/if I was okay.

In other news, don't drink while you're having an anxiety attack, it makes the next day really bad :///

I made a debugger!

I use behavior trees in my project, and they've been a pain in the rear to debug recently. Pretty much have been sprinkling them with debug statements, which grows unmanageable and even unhelpful when failure occurs sporadically.

ajScC0T.png

Looks like garbage but works wonderfully. I can also add conditional breakpoints from a file, like so:

return {

{

type = 'condition',

filename = "amerika/tasks/Test.moon",

node = "ProgrammableCheck",

check = function(e)

return e.hit_type == 'after_process' and e.result == 'failure'

end

}

}

The worst part was making the GUI. I enjoyed the crap out of writing the debugger, but the GUI was so damn boring... Two things I hate: GUIs and web development.

Funny story: I named it January because I cleaned our house from top-to-bottom in January 2016 (something like 200 cubic feet of stuff I tossed) and have kept it clean since. We had a flea problem, but constant vacuuming and a single application of flea killing insecticide got rid of them all. The debugging API is therefore called "Flea."

• Like 3

ozXHe7P.png

I sympathise with the debugging. I've hit a point more than one where the effort I was putting into fixing an issue was rivaling the work I put into writing the program in the first place.

I despise GUI's. My interest is in backend work. I like the logic and data manipulation, but I find most of the front end stuff to be rather tedious. I can't speak to web development though. I've not touched that in...14 years or so. When I was younger I learned the HTML and CSS needed to make guild themes for neopets by reading a couple online guides and looking at source code, but I fear if I were to make a web page now I would likely do formatting by tables...which is perfectly fine if every person who will ever visit your site uses the same resolution you do.

I actually caught a couple websites that still format with tables as of maybe 2 years ago as a result of browsing the web on my old phone. Ah, the good old days when everyone used 640x480, truly the most perfect of all resolutions  :D

• Like 1

I think my brain is going to melt through my ears. Or maybe I'll vomit. But last night I kicked ass at drunk Dominion.

• Like 1

I sympathise with the debugging. I've hit a point more than one where the effort I was putting into fixing an issue was rivaling the work I put into writing the program in the first place.

I despise GUI's. My interest is in backend work. I like the logic and data manipulation, but I find most of the front end stuff to be rather tedious. I can't speak to web development though. I've not touched that in...14 years or so. When I was younger I learned the HTML and CSS needed to make guild themes for neopets by reading a couple online guides and looking at source code, but I fear if I were to make a web page now I would likely do formatting by tables...which is perfectly fine if every person who will ever visit your site uses the same resolution you do.

I actually caught a couple websites that still format with tables as of maybe 2 years ago as a result of browsing the web on my old phone. Ah, the good old days when everyone used 640x480, truly the most perfect of all resolutions  :D

Neopets was my first programming experience too. I tried to make neopoints by making custom profile pages but no one ever paid me because I was like 10 and they looked like shit.

Neopets, the memories. That's where I learned about HTML + CSS. A lot of it came from this site: http://www.lissaexplains.com/ (Can't believe it still exists!)

Pretty much started programming with C because I got a book, C Primer Plus, back in Christmas 2003, around the age of 11. Read it front-to-back when moving from Florida to North Carolina (January 2004). Spent the following many months doing the examples. A year or so later I had a pretty good grasp on C, mostly from that book. I really owe that book book a lot. I still have it, but it's mostly fallen apart from use.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I like the simplicity of C. It's a good language, just very basic.

Does anyone have any good resources on maintaining weight? I'm still losing weight...

Down to ~148 lbs from 150 lbs goal (in January), nearly all of it since March (when I started bicycling more). According to my log I've averaged eating ~2,550 calories/day since March 1. However, I've also averaged 45 minutes a day bicycling (~45/minutes day) at ~16 mph. So logically I'd need to eat about 150 more calories day (assuming 1 lb is about 3500 calories), but 2700 calories/day seems like... a lot.

1) I don't bicycle every day. I simply average 45 minutes/day, but it's more like 5-6 days of 60+ minutes. On the days I don't bicycle, I still eat ~2700 calories (or whatever it may be), right? I mean, that seems like it--since days I bicycle more I'd use more energy, and should make up for it on days I bicycle less (or not at all).

2) Is it healthy to eat more more or less different days (say, +/- 300 calories), so long as I average 2700 calories?

3) How do I handle bicycling less? If, for example, I decide to go down to 30 minutes/day average, how do I handle calculating my daily needs without risk of gaining weight?

ozXHe7P.png

If you lost 2 lbs in over a month, you're probably still maintaining. If you're worried about it, just eat a banana after your ride and it'll get you close enough.

A lot of people budget their calories across a whole week since it's usually easier and makes it easier to budget in nights where you go out to eat or drink, so it's perfectly fine. Maybe it's less healthy, but not noticeably so.

Seriously though don't stress about your calories from exercise too much when you're only doing like 150 calories a day. Worst case scenario you gain like 5 pounds over the course of a year, but you know how to fix that problem

• Like 1

I like the simplicity of C. It's a good language, just very basic.

Does anyone have any good resources on maintaining weight? I'm still losing weight...

Down to ~148 lbs from 150 lbs goal (in January), nearly all of it since March (when I started bicycling more). According to my log I've averaged eating ~2,550 calories/day since March 1. However, I've also averaged 45 minutes a day bicycling (~45/minutes day) at ~16 mph. So logically I'd need to eat about 150 more calories day (assuming 1 lb is about 3500 calories), but 2700 calories/day seems like... a lot.

1) I don't bicycle every day. I simply average 45 minutes/day, but it's more like 5-6 days of 60+ minutes. On the days I don't bicycle, I still eat ~2700 calories (or whatever it may be), right? I mean, that seems like it--since days I bicycle more I'd use more energy, and should make up for it on days I bicycle less (or not at all).

2) Is it healthy to eat more more or less different days (say, +/- 300 calories), so long as I average 2700 calories?

3) How do I handle bicycling less? If, for example, I decide to go down to 30 minutes/day average, how do I handle calculating my daily needs without risk of gaining weight?

The best way to figure out how much you need is by tweaking your caloric intake till it's right. Calculators will get you close, but weighing yourself every day and trying different intakes week by week is good. Try 2700 for a week and get your average weight for the end of the week. Adjust +/- 100 cals accordingly till you maintain your weight.

2) Yeah. There's a whole diet plan based on that exactly (cuts on non-workout days, bulks on workout days).

3) As long as you're generally eating appropriate amounts, I wouldn't worry too much about micromanaging one day. Your body will naturally fluctuate in weight regardless, I'd worry more about week by week results. It's much easier to manage that way.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti