Today...

Leoo

Runescape? In my OT?!?

Feeling like absolute shit. Can't wait to get back home.

Two flights with Malaysian Airlines booked. Of the MH17 and MH370 fame. Still some time before the flights though.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Yeah I agree. I'll work on it tomorrow.

(Pinging Hedgehog.)

snip

In Runescape, the xp between levels grows exponentially according to c * 2level/n, where n is how many levels it takes for the xp between levels to double (RS uses n = 7) and c is the scaling factor (RS uses c = 75). Then the total xp required for a level is just a summation. So you should be able to throw that into a spreadsheet, then play with values of n and c. I had success using c = 250 and n = 5. Setting n to 5 makes sense since you want tiers to come every 10 levels, so you'd have to quadruple your xp to advance a tier. Setting c to 250 gets you close to the max int at level 100, but still gives you plenty of breathing room. In practice, I'd use c = 251 and n = 5.1 or something like that, just so that it doesn't feel so formulaic.

For refining, I wouldn't overthink it. Just make a Necronorium bar tier 71, a Necro sword tier 72, ..., and a Necro platebody tier 75. Or you could add another exponential function to it, so a bar might be 250 * 2 level/5 + 25 * 2level/5. Both accomplish similar things, but I think the first one is more straightforward and requires less analysis.

I used a small tweak to the RuneScape XP formula to derive value (otherwise I followed your idea about tiers, e.g. necro platebody being tier 75 value-wise): I divide the total XP by (1.07^(-tier / 10)) * 20) which gives a nicer (although less extreme) value curve:

rxQ74Jg.png

Google drive link.

I'm still unsure how the core game loop will play unfortunately. I either want it to be really fast paced or really slow. So getting to tier 50 will either take 5 hours or 50 hours lol. If it's the latter, there's going to be mechanisms to let you progress without playing...

The game is called ItsyRealm (i.e., "Little RuneScape") but it's just going to be in the spirit of RuneScape (a combat RPG with a complex non-combat component based around tiered progression). It should be quite different. For example, the path finding will automatically use agility obstacles... firemaking will be useful... mining will be the best and only way to get ores... Those sort of things. Of course, it's going to be a fraction of the size (content-wise).

Also, the normal distribution with a specific standard deviation and mean are perfect!

ozXHe7P.png

I went and saw the Solo movie. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a lot of fun and neat to see some of Han's fabled moments played out on the big screen.

I also loved the casual SW fans trying to figure out why Maul was still alive.

I haven't seen it yet but I don't mind the spoiler. I was never a fan of Darth Maul coming back. Yes his character was cheated but I feel like they made him so stupid in the clone war series. Easily could have written another character that made better sense. Shocked to hear he returned to the big screen

Yeah this movie was ass

Basically just felt like constant fanservice without contributing anything useful to the universe. I knew Maul was coming back but just found it funny.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

roast me

Srsly bought some clothes (and a pair of sneakers!) trying for a more casual look that still looks good. What do you guys think?

[hide]

TpWEhCP.jpg

hK8tcpK.jpg

QoCTtZW.jpg

[/hide]

Also I made the President's List at my school 8).

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Pink pants might be a tad baggy but looks good to me

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Pink pants might be a tad baggy but looks good to me

They're not pink, they're off-season salmon paprika.

Just kidding! Thanks! I didn't think they looked baggy in-store but it definitely looks baggy at home. Turns out I got straight fit (may have mixed them up when after I tried them up idk). I'll exchange them tomorrow.

I think this is better:

x8Lwhvp.png

Dumpster is off a bit but I don't care D:.

Fixed perspective:

8bGSubG.png

Guides:

kjYNMxh.png

Edited by Veiva

ozXHe7P.png

not a big fan of the pink pants with the first shirt (too much pink-ish, maybe?) second one looks better. prefer the grey pants in general though

• Like 2

polvCwJ.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

Also I redid that panel:

YNsdjYk.png

I'm happy with it now. Still needs a few shading tweaks (I forgot the hair LOL). It may be slightly too exaggerated but it's Good Enough .

Old:

[hide]

HsGncqR.png

[/hide]

ozXHe7P.png

I'll be swimming with dolphins on Saturday. Pretty epic conclusion to my trip.

Read heaps of Sci-fi books recently, latest and probably most known the Schismatrix Plus. Freaking epic. One of the original cyberpunk stories.

Spent over 2 grand on transport and accommodation to get home. And still need to spend more.

Also, if anyone wants a postcard with personalized wishes from the End of the World, chuck me a PM with your address. Don't forget the Zip code.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

So will Noxx apparently

It also isn't going to harm someone the way my raping would.

Oh god I lol'd.

My oh my I was an ass clown in 2011 when that thread was fresh.

Way to dig out old stuff :D

I am too afraid to browse old posts...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Oh god. I remember that Nomrombom and I had some beef over something back in the day. I can't for the life remember what it was about though.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Lol I cringe thinking about what I posted on my RuneScape clan forums (Moriquendi). I mean if I were to look back I'd probably see a religious, slightly conservative teenage dweeb. Now I'm an atheist hyper-leftist.

I absolutely hated this one guy, Elmarion. He was a big dick to everyone but especially me.

Overall, I've matured a lot since I posted there, but... I hope his life sucks now*.

Good things the forums are dead now!

Tomorrow I'm going to be gone from like 9 am to 10 pm or 2 am. I'm going to have breakfast with my bro, tutor at my school, go to an interview for the internship I've been trying to get, go to work, and if the internship interview goes well, go to Jack's Tap for drinks.

And it's currently 1:30 am. Mania strikes again!

But I'm so excited! And nervous! I really can't wait for 2 pm...

I've been working on items/inventories in my game. Here's a small excerpt:

OD0JPrF.png

Max stack will be about 9 quadrillion because that's the max consecutive integer a double precision floating point can hold. (I'll probably enforce 1 quadrillion). I have a feeling only cheaters will ever have a stack of a quadrillion, however.

Trying to ensure the inventory system has absolutely no possible dupe or cloning bugs ever. Inventory object is going to be immutable. There will be a central ItemBroker that constructs and assigns inventories. Everything that modifies the inventory will be performed as a transaction that rolls back any changes upon failure (either runtime errors or just full inventory, etc). If an item duping bug is still possible then [bleep] me.

* I don't.

ozXHe7P.png

I'd steer you away from using a double to handle stacks of items. You're going to run into so many problems related to precision and it's just not going to be fun to deal with. Most databases have a type specifically for money, which is usually an 8 byte integer with 4 digits of precision. I'd strongly recommend using that

As far as avoiding duplicates, do some research into idempotent transactions. Basically, you just want to ensure that inserting something twice has the same result as inserting it a single time. Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is by assigning an item a UUID when it spawns, then using that as the primary key in a (uuid, quantity, item_id, player_id) table. That would prevent the same item being picked up by two players and one player trying to pick up an item twice. If you aren't using a relational database, just use the UUID as a key in a hash or whatever you have available. Then the only other major problem is handling cases where someone tries to pick up a bunch of items at once, but only has room for some of them, but that should be easy enough for you to handle.

• Like 2

TIL Yoko Ono still lives in the same building that John Lennon was murdered in. Weird.

I stopped getting any enjoyment from cookie clicker when I opened the console and typed Game.cookies = 100000000000000000000

edit: it looks like when you do this you win a "cheater" award now LOL

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

You can look into cookieclicker which has an expantential growth gameplay model that ends up many orders of magnitude past Octodecillion.

Theyre probably using a string where each character index is a digit in the number. Depending on the language your using there may be a built in class to handle it, in java I've used BigInteger's before for this.

BigInteger numStarsMilkyWay = new BigInteger("8731409320171337804361260816606476");
BigInteger numStarsAndromeda = new BigInteger("5379309320171337804361260816606476");
BigInteger totalStars = numStarsMilkyWay.add(numStarsAndromeda);

totalStars: 14110718640342675608722521633212952

Or maybe its just a number between 0.00-999.99 and they just add a mil/bil/etc. when appropriate

Arbitrary precision BigInts were just implemented in V8. They wrote a neat article on it if you're interested

• Like 1

I got the internship! I'll be contacted next week to settle up the details like scheduling and so on. There's an option for employment after the internship too!

I'd steer you away from using a double to handle stacks of items. You're going to run into so many problems related to precision and it's just not going to be fun to deal with. Most databases have a type specifically for money, which is usually an 8 byte integer with 4 digits of precision. I'd strongly recommend using that

As far as avoiding duplicates, do some research into idempotent transactions. Basically, you just want to ensure that inserting something twice has the same result as inserting it a single time. Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is by assigning an item a UUID when it spawns, then using that as the primary key in a (uuid, quantity, item_id, player_id) table. That would prevent the same item being picked up by two players and one player trying to pick up an item twice. If you aren't using a relational database, just use the UUID as a key in a hash or whatever you have available. Then the only other major problem is handling cases where someone tries to pick up a bunch of items at once, but only has room for some of them, but that should be easy enough for you to handle.

Doubles are fine up up to 2^53 assuming I only add integers. I can always switch to using BigInt or something later if I encounter a problem. I'm using Lua so the native math type is double, and I can't just use integer. I know how to deal with floating-point precision; it comes with game development.

The database (well it's a data structure stored in memory, I'm not using a database to store game state at runtime) is laid out almost exactly as you described.

• Like 3

ozXHe7P.png

So will Noxx apparently

It also isn't going to harm someone the way my raping would.

Oh god I lol'd.

My oh my I was an ass clown in 2011 when that thread was fresh.

Wow totally uncalled for. Actually too scared to see what the context was to be honest.

Finally have a VISA appointment Monday. Things took longer than expected, but i mean this time of the year things go slow. I don't know if US embassies are like this all over the world, but damn they're strict. 

In context you were poorly phrasing a point about marijuana legalization. Even you thought it was funny at the time