Today...

Leoo

A bit better, but I'd stay still rigid. I'd put the arms at more different angles to make him look more dynamic. As in done arm above other or sth like that.

God damn those corrupt construction and transport conglomerates controlling everything here. Sometimes it seems a fifth of the population works in civil engineering and roading.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I think I did really well with this pose:

sdqE5NV.png

It's very much WIP but the pose is solid (as in, it's good, not that it's rigid) I think.

(I miss the Gallery. Even though when I posted there I sucked LOL.)

OK here's the finished one:

v8GARDk.png

Edited by Veiva

ozXHe7P.png

Oh yes, that is definitely more dynamic and makes the robot(?) look way more alive.

Perfect storm of lightning, earthquakes and massive wind and them bastards haven't even closed the road. And we have slips and falling rocks on a daily basis.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

If you use your imagination (and lots of it) I think this looks pretty good so far:

qDrjuf6.jpg

I still have to finish the other panels, then trace it over on the computer, correct perspective, add color, and then shade. Lol. Then I need to add a background.

Wow this single page may take me like 10 hours or more easy.

ozXHe7P.png

It's a perspective inconsistency. I'm not good enough at art yo explain how to fix the issue, but that's why it's not appearing the way you imagine in your head

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

It's a perspective inconsistency. I'm not good enough at art yo explain how to fix the issue, but that's why it's not appearing the way you imagine in your head

I can see it now. Its like his arm should feel closer to us by it somehow seems on the same plane as the rest of his body. At the same time the background closes off and gives us some depth but it feels weird.

Or maybe I'm spouting BS that holds no grounds.

Yeah I agree. I'll work on it tomorrow.

(Pinging Hedgehog.)

I'm looking for some gameplay formulas: one for item value, one for accuracy, and one for damage.

I want them to "feel" exponential somehow; like, for example, taking RuneScape, I want you to go "wow I really gained a lot these last 7 levels."

So for example, let's plot two points: copper ore (tier 1, 10 gp) and necronorium ore (tier 70, 1,000,000 gp?). So the value roughly 100,000% (1,500% per level assuming linear). The jump to tier 90 ore should be something like 500,000,000 gp, or an increase of 50,000% (or an increase of 2,500% per level) for those 20 levels. (Tier 99 should be amazing stupendously expensive). Furthermore, value should increase based on the refinedness of the item, but not as much. Copper bar should be worth maybe 12 gp, necronorium bar maybe 1,300,000 gp, and the tier 90 ore should be maybe 750,000,000 gp. (These are all very rough values). A bronze platebody would be worth maybe 200 gp (MagicValueFunction([12 gp + 12 gp] x 5)), a necronorium platebody worth 20m gp, and a tier 90 easily worth 2-3 billion.

Similarly, accuracy should be something like 50% assuming same tier (50 vs 50 or 100 vs 100, it doesn't matter) and no other bonuses. However, a difference of 10 tiers should maybe push that to 30/70. (So rune weapons vs dragon armor would be like 30% accuracy). 20 tiers would be like 10/90. (So adamant would be 10% accuracy). Alternatively, maybe accuracy penalties matter less and instead there's a damage reduction. So 100% accuracy but damage reduction that essentially can reduce really weak attacks to 0 damage. (I'd prefer that since I always [bleep]ing hated hitting 0).

Damage should be similar, but I'm unsure how to handle HP. I think HP should scale linearly (1-99, 10-990, whatever) but I don't want the damage to? I guess this is where defense comes into it.

Essentially I want a formula I can tweak as the game goes along, but using the same parameters. For example, item value could be a function of { previous item value(s), tier, item rarity }. Strength/accuracy/defense bonuses would be a function of { tier, speed }.

really tl;dr: value formula that makes tier 1 affordable and tier 90 stupidly unaffordable with a nice curve; how do I combat.

ozXHe7P.png

I went and saw the Solo movie. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a lot of fun and neat to see some of Han's fabled moments played out on the big screen.

I also loved the casual SW fans trying to figure out why Maul was still alive.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I went and saw the Solo movie. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a lot of fun and neat to see some of Han's fabled moments played out on the big screen.

Wait. WAIT. Is Savage Opress in this movie?

I will only go see this movie if Savage Opress is in it.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Sick again. Was up nearly the whole night coughing my lungs out.

What the [bleep] is going on? I can't remember the last time I was sick twice in a month. May be cause I haven't had a winter in a year and a half... Or maybe NZ just has some weird stronger bugs here in the southern part of it. Having my room at about 15 degrees doesn't help either.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I haven't seen it yet but I don't mind the spoiler. I was never a fan of Darth Maul coming back. Yes his character was cheated but I feel like they made him so stupid in the clone war series. Easily could have written another character that made better sense. Shocked to hear he returned to the big screen

I've been awake for over 36 hours due to a manic episode (?). Tired as [bleep] but got a crap ton done!

Had a blast getting lost at Fayetteville State University with a friend. Also went to a nice coffee place downtown. Worked on my game, finishing the Lua bindings for Twoflower (a really cool way of mapping relationships in a video game). Finished reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (I still don't want to believe he's dead); ending was a surprise for sure (also I get the joke about Lt Blouse's name like 4 hours after I finished the book). Rode my bike 20+ miles.Got to and defeated Cleric Beast in Bloodborne without dying then promptly died after (excluding that stupid 'forced death' at the beginning). Probably more stuff.

I need sleep. Aah!

ozXHe7P.png

I've been awake for over 36 hours due to a manic episode (?). Tired as [bleep] but got a crap ton done!

That's great that you got so much done! I'm like so behind in everything, as I got years worth of stuff just piling up ugh.

Today I played an ARAM on League of Legends and won which was nice. Also as mentioned above I'm trying to play a little catch-up because I got so much stuff to do, like reading the past year's worth of patch notes for RuneScape to name one such thing XD.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

Yeah I agree. I'll work on it tomorrow.

(Pinging Hedgehog.)

I'm looking for some gameplay formulas: one for item value, one for accuracy, and one for damage.

I want them to "feel" exponential somehow; like, for example, taking RuneScape, I want you to go "wow I really gained a lot these last 7 levels."

So for example, let's plot two points: copper ore (tier 1, 10 gp) and necronorium ore (tier 70, 1,000,000 gp?). So the value roughly 100,000% (1,500% per level assuming linear). The jump to tier 90 ore should be something like 500,000,000 gp, or an increase of 50,000% (or an increase of 2,500% per level) for those 20 levels. (Tier 99 should be amazing stupendously expensive). Furthermore, value should increase based on the refinedness of the item, but not as much. Copper bar should be worth maybe 12 gp, necronorium bar maybe 1,300,000 gp, and the tier 90 ore should be maybe 750,000,000 gp. (These are all very rough values). A bronze platebody would be worth maybe 200 gp (MagicValueFunction([12 gp + 12 gp] x 5)), a necronorium platebody worth 20m gp, and a tier 90 easily worth 2-3 billion.

Similarly, accuracy should be something like 50% assuming same tier (50 vs 50 or 100 vs 100, it doesn't matter) and no other bonuses. However, a difference of 10 tiers should maybe push that to 30/70. (So rune weapons vs dragon armor would be like 30% accuracy). 20 tiers would be like 10/90. (So adamant would be 10% accuracy). Alternatively, maybe accuracy penalties matter less and instead there's a damage reduction. So 100% accuracy but damage reduction that essentially can reduce really weak attacks to 0 damage. (I'd prefer that since I always [bleep]ing hated hitting 0).

Damage should be similar, but I'm unsure how to handle HP. I think HP should scale linearly (1-99, 10-990, whatever) but I don't want the damage to? I guess this is where defense comes into it.

Essentially I want a formula I can tweak as the game goes along, but using the same parameters. For example, item value could be a function of { previous item value(s), tier, item rarity }. Strength/accuracy/defense bonuses would be a function of { tier, speed }.

really tl;dr: value formula that makes tier 1 affordable and tier 90 stupidly unaffordable with a nice curve; how do I combat.

In Runescape, the xp between levels grows exponentially according to c * 2level/n, where n is how many levels it takes for the xp between levels to double (RS uses n = 7) and c is the scaling factor (RS uses c = 75). Then the total xp required for a level is just a summation. So you should be able to throw that into a spreadsheet, then play with values of n and c. I had success using c = 250 and n = 5. Setting n to 5 makes sense since you want tiers to come every 10 levels, so you'd have to quadruple your xp to advance a tier. Setting c to 250 gets you close to the max int at level 100, but still gives you plenty of breathing room. In practice, I'd use c = 251 and n = 5.1 or something like that, just so that it doesn't feel so formulaic.

For refining, I wouldn't overthink it. Just make a Necronorium bar tier 71, a Necro sword tier 72, ..., and a Necro platebody tier 75. Or you could add another exponential function to it, so a bar might be 250 * 2 level/5 + 25 * 2level/5. Both accomplish similar things, but I think the first one is more straightforward and requires less analysis.

Accuracy:

Runescape just rolls a number between 0 and Attack and compares it to 0 and Defense. The math is fairly straightforward calculus: if you have max attack and defense rolls A and D, and samples of these rolls a and d, then when A > D, you integrate (A - d)/(A * D) from 0 to D (or 1 to D if you can't roll a 0) and when D > A, you integrate (A - a)/(A * D) from 0 to A. This works because (A - d) is the number of rolls where d is less than A and (A * D) is the total number of rolls. If you picture it in your head (A * D) is a rectangle, and (A - d) is a triangle cut into it, so you want the area of the triangle divided by the area of the rectangle to get the probability of hitting. If d can be bigger than A, then the triangle extends below the x axis, so you calculate 1 - the chance of missing instead. This gives you something of the form 1/x, so you get diminishing returns as one value grows larger than the other. That's really nice for balancing, since a tier 100 weapon wouldn't be significantly more accurate than a tier 90 weapon against level 50 armor.

However, what you're describing sounds a little like you want a normal distribution with a std deviation of 10. So you'd calculate the probability of landing outside of A and D if the std deviation is 10 and the mean is (A + D) / 2. You'll have to play around with that to get what you want, but it's a good place to start. I'd make strength normally distributed too, so that you tend to hit high and low rarely, but mostly in the middle

• Like 3

I used to be smart like that once upon a time

Sorry I was rushing to post that before I left the office.

On the accuracy distribution:

I would set the probability of hitting to between(A, D, mean: (A + D)/2, std Dev: 30ish) + 0.5. Then when A = D, you have a 50% accuracy. At around A - D = 40, you hit 100%, with a nice curve in between

Would it be practical to use programmed dice rolls in a combat game instead of a distribution curve? Basically like DnD where weapon 'A' rolls damage (1D6) at a percent chance based on the targets defence value (for instance 1D20+x vs Y) where 'x' is the characters strength level