Today...

Leoo

Trust me I've said some sincerely stupid shit in old threads too

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I kind of feel a bit bad for when these politicians and public figures get in trouble because they said some stupid shit years ago. pretty sure we've all done it...just people in the past didn't have this permanent record of their dumb ideas to deal with

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Guys, I got the internship!

you also get the award for most useless poster in OT
Hey, dont be rude to Goon, you'll scare him off and then I'll never see him again and I will forever be sad :(

I slept until 2 pm today. I wanted to do things today, but instead I just slept. Why does my body want this cyrcadian rhythm...

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Bloody freaking awesome, swimming with the dolphins!

I was in the water for the longest, doing "HERE, KITTY-KITTY-KITTY" through the snorkle and the dolphins loved it. In the end, I was part of their pod, surrounded by ~20 of them, coming and swimming next to me, doing saltos, jumps, loops, everything. When the boat crew called me finally in I was about 50m from the boat, and the dolphins were surrounding me and coming from everywhere the whole way. They were at times less than 20 cm from me.

The guides said that that sort of interaction doesn't happen all too often, she had only seen it once before. Guys on the boat started calling me the Dolphin Whisperer :D

Ended the night pretty damn awesomely as well. Went out, met a former workmate, a German hippy backpacker who had dyed her hair blue just that morning. Went for a midnight swim and one thing led to another and now to be frank I am even a bit sore downunder.

I don't think I had worked directly with her or even talked with her before last night...

Shame I'm leaving tomorrow.

• Like 3

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I finally have inventory and items working.

0IFPSZu.gif

That was very difficult.

My game is broken into a MVC sort of thing so I could possibly add multiplayer later. So to get the inventory working, I had to...

1) Add a UI model, view, and controller. You can open an interface (top-level UI element); poke it (perform an RPC) or pull (get the current state); and a few other things.

2) Add an ItemBroker, including transactions. This was the most difficult part.

3) Create the Inventory interface and Inventory controller. A controller runs on the server, an interface runs on the client. They both invoke RPCs on the other (e.g., Controller sets size, Interface informs Controller that the player clicked something).

4) Bind everything together. (This was the second most difficult part).

It took me over 20 hours probably. Lol I overengineer things.

Only took ~4 hours to add dropping/picking up items, including a nifty drop model:

2EDP0QZ.gif

Edited by Veiva
  • Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Damn, three more days till I get home...

Arriving in Helsinki at 23.40 and my boat leaves at 07.30 in the morning... I'm [bleep]ed. That's after 40h of flying.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

xk5UYzs.gif

I created a Probe object that allows me to probe the game world for actions. I also created the PokeMenu, which allows interacting with the game when multiple options are present. Currently only "Take" and "Walk" are implemented... because I don't have NPCs or objects yet lol.

I also nicely handle cases where item stacks on the ground are Very Big:

iK5aNL3.png

I think my GitHub looks pretty nice for the two projects thus far. My game, ItsyRealm (the engine is called ItsyScape, little confusing) and Discworld, my GameDB. I also have a forked Love2d repo that adds 3D math functions. I periodically merge the latest commits from the master branch, but that's Mercurial and mine is Git so it gets annoying. I only do it when there's major changes lol.

The item in the examples if the Amulet of Yendor, which will be a debugging tool. I think I'll add a "dull amulet of yendor" when I eventually get to the point of adding legendary items, which will let you create a custom teleport anywhere in the game. But the teleport would be permanent...

The other legendary items would be a mimic heart (has a 1/~5 chance of rolling 2 drops), telenomicon (allows you to use any teleport you have unlocked, anywhere, with no cost), and the bottomless bag (loots all items in a radius around the player; the items can only be retrieved by depositing them into your bank). Pretty OP but it's a single player game so who cares D:.

ozXHe7P.png

Shouldn't Yendor be capital then?

Tonight I saw Dance Gavin Dance and God damn Tillian can sing. The new album leaked a few days ago and honestly every time I think they've peaked they manage to top themselves.

• Like 1

It has been a bunch of wake up a 5:30 am and go to bed at 2-3 am nights since last Friday due to work and school. Working 40 hours and taking 10 credits this summer had been rough, but my work load will definitely drop off in two weeks.

In other news, a friend of mine is starting up a bi-weekly D&D game, so I'll be playing a real campaign for the first time. I have been doing some reading up on classes and races, and I think I'm going to try to do a tiefling druid (don't judge me).

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

It's funny how Goon's one of the few who are still left in this board. Specially one of the few with quality posts.

In other words, gonna start flying with Malaysian in a wee bit. Last I checked, they had a tendency to go missing over Pacific and getting shot down over Crimea and this time I am gonna fly over them both, so I have to say it has been an honor to know you all.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Shouldn't Yendor be capital then?

Tonight I saw Dance Gavin Dance and God damn Tillian can sing. The new album leaked a few days ago and honestly every time I think they've peaked they manage to top themselves.

I was just following RuneScape's item capitalization scheme.

"Shield of arrav" instead of "Shield of Arrav", "Staff of iban" instead of "Staff of Iban", etc.

ozXHe7P.png

It a your game, you can do it however you like :)

I think Goon is a actually with Interpol and just shitposts to bookmark where he left off in the thread

• Like 1

Like we have so much to hide here.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

How fitting that the 30 12 year old white girls at the train station looking to go see Kendrick Lamar are waiting on the wrong side of the tracks

I landed yesterday just before midnight and I still have troubles with which way and on which side humans and cars should go. A year of upside town has left a mark.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Seems like you wouldn't be able to get an acceptable down payment in an area with 1600 a month rent.

Plus, mortgage payments are usually at least as much as rent, arent they?

Seems like you wouldn't be able to get an acceptable down payment in an area with 1600 a month rent.

Rent is throwing money out the window. With a mortgage payment, you are paying into owning a physical asset at the end of it. Of course there are additional costs such as property tax to consider (and maybe tax benefits, not sure), but all else being equal, you'd rather own your home after 20 years rather than renting once again for year 21, wouldn't you?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Rent is throwing money out the window. With a mortgage payment, you are paying into owning a physical asset at the end of it. Of course there are additional costs such as property tax to consider (and maybe tax benefits, not sure), but all else being equal, you'd rather own your home after 20 years rather than renting once again for year 21, wouldn't you?

Not always.

It's hard to quantify but sometimes renting is better (e.g.: bad housing market, short stay [a few years]), sometimes it's worse (good housing market, long stay).

In my case renting is better because 1) I'm not staying here more than a few more years (4-5). 2) My rent is only slightly more expensive than an equivalent mortgage payment but includes repairs, etc while a mortgage would not. 3) I can't afford a house down payment (lol).

In my case I'm hoping to get a job in IT or something within the next years and save up for a down payment. Since our living expenses are low (~2200/month) we'd be able to save up a bit each month (assuming fair salary re: job). In the end, we'd pobably be able to save up 50%-75% of a down-payment over the next ~5 years for a house in Cary, NC. Then the plan is get a good programming job ($70,000+ year), finish saving up while renting (probably 1-2 more years), buy a house, and boom. This assumes housing prices near Raleigh don't explode in the next 5 years (looking at you, Apple and Amazon)...

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

While that is accurate, it does not change the financial difficulty involved in entering into home ownership. If rent is expensive for you, it's going to be particularly difficult to buy a home, vs. someone who is paying a comfortable amount of rent. And if you can't afford rent where you want to live, you definitely aren't going to be able to afford a home, even if you can somehow get the down payment together.

While that is accurate, it does not change the financial difficulty involved in entering into home ownership. If rent is expensive for you, it's going to be particularly difficult to buy a home, vs. someone who is paying a comfortable amount of rent. And if you can't afford rent where you want to live, you definitely aren't going to be able to afford a home, even if you can somehow get the down payment together.
Plus, I'm assuming a lot, but from what I remember LL was looking for jobs anywhere when he applied and is just getting another contract with NASA (fingers crossed) so buying a house just doesn't make sense unless he knows he'll be spending at least 5 years where he is.