Today...

Leoo

Tbh, Veiva, you seem far more skilled at CS than anyone I graduated with. It seems like you should have no troubles getting a good paying job, at least as long as you're looking at a place that values code quality and good architecture. So, maybe skip out on jobs at like insurance corporations, but tech places should value your skills.

Thank you!

The problem is my degree is 4 years away. The review is only a few months.

Our (brother and me) household expenses are ~$2,400 a month. Without social security our household income is ~$1,900 a month. That is a problem.

Worse comes to worse I just take out ~$3,000 to $4,000 in student loans a semester to cover the gap, but that is like Plan D... Plan A is for the internship (that I start today!) to lead to a part-time job; Plan B is to get a job in IT; Plan C is to get a job in sales.

Of course I wouldn't be able to receive treatment anymore, so there is a very high chance I relapse.

This is assuming Social Security terminates my benefits; there is a small chance they don't... Apparently they terminate benefits about 10% of the time, but I have improved a lot since I was approved. I still don't think I've improved enough to hold a full-time job etc, but Social Security ultimately is the one that makes the determination. I can appeal it but I still lose benefits (sans Medicare) before the hearing, which could be months or a year away.

ozXHe7P.png

The point is, if you can find a place willing to value your portfolio over a degree, then I think you can get a job that pays what you need. Obviously, more corporate places won't be the ones to do that, but smaller, tech focused locations seem like they should care more about code quality than education quality in their new hires.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Alright so heres the details I got the job, its 40 hours a week no overtime

Does that mean you're capped at a 40hr work week or if you work more than that they don't pay more?

Arlington. Don't really know too much of the place, to be honest. But even if it were to be the anus of Texas, i can't wait to get out of here for a few months.

Last night a friend of my dad came over to the house. Apparently he has a travel bad and a warrant for his arrest out. He's the CFO of a big construction company here. As per the law it is illegal to give your clients a cheque unless you have the money in the bank to foot the bill. But it is very common practice to do it here, then just tell your client not to bank the it till a certain date. So a couple of days ago one of his clients came round his office to pick up the cheque like he does every month, he hand it over and tells him not to bank it till a certain date. The guy looks him straight in the eyes and says "first i'm gonna go to the bank, then i'm going to capitol police to report you". So now he has a warrant for his arrest. He's basically been trapped in his house, because legally it's requires so much paperwork and permissions to arrest someone in his house. So chances are they'll never even try. Now he has to wait for his boss (who's one of the most powerful people in the country) to come back from holiday and basically clear this mess up. Funniest thing of all, this just happens to be the "holy month of Ramadan" and the assclown decides to pull something like this after they have been doing the same business for years now. Just shows you... these people are [bleep]ing scum. They might have money, they might have power, but they are [bleep]ing dogshit.

What a weird power play.

Texas Is huge. One city shouldn't form an opinion on the whole state. Except the country attitude of bible swinging gun toting excellent bbq. That's basically the whole state.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

So the first day of the internship went well!

I watched some React.js videos, got the website running locally, and began looking into an issue. Already have an idea for a solution, but won't be able to implement it until my next day (Tuesday).

I made some changes to the animation system in my game and added the first NPC...

I3Y5Aln.gif

First, it shows the punching and defend animations. Then there's a punching animation and walking animation playing at the same time.

Attack animations have the highest priority (positive infinity!) so they will always play. This means mobs can't be sneaky and hide what attack they just dealt (think TzTok-Jad in the Fight Caves; you need to know which attack he just launched or you're going to die, so imagine if his defend animation could override his attack animation!).

In this case, I set the player controller's target entity to the goblin NPC. This means I could control the NPC like a player with zero modifications to the player controller. Of course it's not practically useful, but it's definitely neat and shows how flexible my engine is :). The inventory/equipment/stats panels handled it gracefully, too; they just showed nothing since the goblin doesn't have stats, equipment, or an inventory.

Edited by Veiva
  • Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Arlington. Don't really know too much of the place, to be honest. But even if it were to be the anus of Texas, i can't wait to get out of here for a few months. 

Last night a friend of my dad came over to the house. Apparently he has a travel bad and a warrant for his arrest out. He's the CFO of a big construction company here. As per the law it is illegal to give your clients a cheque unless you have the money in the bank to foot the bill. But it is very common practice to do it here, then just tell your client not to bank the it till a certain date. So a couple of days ago one of his clients came round his office to pick up the cheque like he does every month, he hand it over and tells him not to bank it till a certain date. The guy looks him straight in the eyes and says "first i'm gonna go to the bank, then i'm going to capitol police to report you". So now he has a warrant for his arrest. He's basically been trapped in his house, because legally it's requires so much paperwork and permissions to arrest someone in his house. So chances are they'll never even try. Now he has to wait for his boss (who's one of the most powerful people in the country) to come back from holiday and basically clear this mess up. Funniest thing of all, this just happens to be the "holy month of Ramadan" and the assclown decides to pull something like this after they have been doing the same business for years now. Just shows you... these people are [bleep]ing scum. They might have money, they might have power, but they are [bleep]ing dogshit.

I mean you could just arrange to have the money in the bank and not have these issues? Put aside some savings instead of spending every penny you get instantly, no?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I just came to the realization that I did my semester end project with a completely different dataset than the one I was supposed to use. It is already beyond the due date, so I'm just praying my professor will let me re-do part of it or maybe just grade it as if it was the right data.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I mean you could just arrange to have the money in the bank and not have these issues? Put aside some savings instead of spending every penny you get instantly, no?

He works for a government company. The government is pretty much broke (despite what they want everyone to think). Most government owned companies have been struggling to pay their bills for the past year. His company is no exception. They basically have to spend money as they get it, because they're behind on bills. There's no option to save.

Last year or whenever it was, when Saudi and the UAE enforced a blockade against us, they cut off all their exports to here. We used to get a great deal of products from the UAE and Saudi. So what they had to do was get those products elsewhere. Thing is, anywhere else would have meant prices would go up. That means living costs rise, which means less incentive for foreigners to want to live here. The government knows this. So they had to start subsidizing the prices of the new products they imported to have them match those from Saudi and UAE. Apparently they spend over $1.5B a month on subsidizing these products. Thats a $1.5B loss each month, and it's been going on for a year more or less. Couple that with the fact that the oil price is no longer what it used to be... this country is struggling. 

I wonder what might happen when the oil dries up

Hello, Venezuela all over again!

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I wonder what might happen when the oil dries up

There's still a lot of oil and gas in reserve. Enough for quite a few decades, i'm sure. The problem isn't the lack of oil/gas, it's the lack of demand. People either found their own sources, or they found alternative methods. I guess that's fairly obvious. The thing is, the government has kept the local population in the dark. The locals still get their "allowance" each month, so to their knowledge the country is still flourishing. Meanwhile, it's not. It's struggling. There are so many locals here who have bank loans in the high $100ks, even more. A lot of them don't work. A lot of them solely rely on their allowances (which in some cases is a lot of money, like $250k+ a year for doing jack shit other than being born with the right name). So if, for whatever reason, oil dries up/becomes completely useless and no one ever needs to buy oil/gas from here again, then this country will take a massive shit. The locals will either riot because their government can no longer give them money, or they'll simply go back to 50 years ago and live in tents in the desert because many few of them are educated (and are bothered to get educated) and they'll have no way of sustaining themselves. 

There are 2 reasons this country is a fairly decent place at the moment: 

1. The government keeps the locals happy and peaceful with their allowance.

2. Westerners do white-collar work at high salaries (to compensate for the shitty living conditions [weather/stricter rules] and people from the east come here as cheap labor [they still get paid so much more here than they would back home]).

So soon as the money dries up, the bargaining chip for locals go out the window, and the incentive for white and blue collar workers go out the window. So essentially you'll be stuck with a population of ~350k people (i'm sure some expats will stay) down from about 2.5m, with the large majority of them not being educated enough to read or write a sentence. 

actually, demand for oil is higher than it's ever been. The bigger issue for Qatar is that there's a supply glut. All the producers are struggling (that's why the price went down so much in the past couple of years), but most of the bigger economies are diverse enough that they don't feel the pain in the same way.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I think I got the accuracy formula down:

tier    def     wep     acc     +10 def -10 def

10      32      20      0.66    0.41    0.85

20      60      30      0.61    0.4     0.78

30      92      43      0.57    0.39    0.73

40      130     57      0.54    0.39    0.69

50      172     73      0.51    0.38    0.65

60      220     90      0.49    0.37    0.62

70      272     110     0.47    0.37    0.6

80      330     130     0.46    0.36    0.58

90      392     153     0.45    0.36    0.56
You'd average ~50% accuracy with no bonuses, same tier vs same tier. Up a tier (compared to opponent), you get 60% accuracy. Down a tier, 40%. The bonuses are also similar to the existing bonuses in RuneScape (e.g., Torag's has +250 defense bonuses-ish and is tier 70, rune is +170 defense is is tier 50, etc). Well, using the old defense bonuses and the new tiers, lol.

I use a quadratic formula to calculate the total defense bonuses:

1/40 * x^2 + 2 * x + 10
They will be distributed across the armor with some variation.

I modified the defense and attack roll calculation to be:

# Defense roll
(level + 8) * multiplier * (bonus + 128)

# Attack roll
(level + 16) * multiplier * (bonus + 64) * 2
Which means defense bonuses means less point-per-point. I like the offensive bonuses being smaller than defense bonuses for some reason...

I'm going to follow the traditional RuneScape model where magic armor has virtually no defensive bonuses but high offensive bonuses; melee armor has high melee/ranged defense but comically bad magic defense; and ranged armor has mid-range defense bonuses and high magic defense bonuses with no offensive penalties. The difference is staves, wands, and canes, if used without a spell, will use magic stats to deal damage as crush, stab, and slash (respectively). This means a melee user wearing ranged armor will be devastated in melee distance by a magic user.

edit: Lol my debug armor/weapons (Errin the Heathen's set) have these bonuses with the Amulet of Yendor:

AccuracyStab    50
AccuracySlash   50
AccuracyCrush   253
AccuracyMagic   280
AccuracyRanged  50
DefenseStab     544
DefenseSlash    581
DefenseCrush    660
DefenseMagic    700
DefenseRanged   510
StrengthMelee   50
StrengthRanged  50
StrengthMagic   50
Prayer  125
It's considered tier 120. Edited by Veiva
  • Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

So I just organized our 5-year high school reunion while being completely drunk at 4.30 AM on Friday. For this Tuesday. And I got over 20 replies that they'll come out from a class of 50 people...

What have I gotten myself into?!?!

:D :D

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

So I got a question for you Euro folk. Unfortunately being American, my news is basically just mass shootings and Trumps latest shit post but I've been wondering; Has Brexit actually made an impact on your day to day life? I remember it was a big deal a while back but I feel like I don't actually understand the ramifications as to what happened after it passed. So does anyone in Europe, or better yet Britain feel like their lives changed in any significant way?

Shows how much I've been paying attention haha

Currently scheduled for 2021 or sth like that.

UK wants to be a part of the European common market, but also the right to make own trade deals, so obviously EU is hearing none of it.

Also, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland border is a [bleep]ing thing.

And the ratio right now seems to be 2-1 with girls in majority :D

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Nothing really has happened. Some article was put forward which was apparent the point of no return, but later came out to be a reversible motion. The current PM is [kitty]footing around the whole affair and mainly just squawks like a crow in PMQs about it. Due to lack of progress every week half the governing party threatens to have a vote of no confidence e.t.c. Current governing party got into power with a £1bn bribe for about 9 racists but that's old news.

The leader of the opposition is currently undecided on whether we are in for a hard or soft brexit, or even a brexit for that matter. Likewise half the opposition party threaten to quit/have vote of no confidence regarding this issue. 

tl;dr Brexit is brexit, a pipedream coined by racists and the unemployed exacerbated by the current refugee crisis - good political time is being wasted on an affair that is going to end up in perpetual negotiation until the EU drops the UK after some form of missed deadline. Meanwhile both our healthcare and education will go further down the shitter.

#VoteGreen

Luck be a Lady

Got my first job since graduating as a business intelligence analyst for a pharmaceutical research firm.

It means I'm moving quite far from home, which I've done a few times before, even transatlantically. 

Just this time I'll actually be working in my first full-time job, which I got less than a year after graduation which is pretty decent.

It's giving me all sorts of butterflies in my stomach. No long summers, no lie ins, the real adulthood starts now but it also means financial stability and the chance to save up for mental health counselling to help me sort myself out.

• Like 2

Idk man I kinda always wanted to be a storm trooper

• Like 1

So I bought a skirt...

It is very comfortable by itself, but it looks better over pants in my opinion.

I'm not going to post pictures of this one lol.

also this is cool

MbTtu6F.gif

Took ~2 hours to implement the fundamental basics of the combat system. I even have support (though not yet implemented) for things like infinite runes, etc...

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png