Manga/Anime Discussion

Warrior_B666

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

anyone seen it?

already quite old but still a lot of people who watch anime haven't seen it.

I read the manga. Thought it was funny on some moments, but it started to kinda turn into school drama at one point, and then it dragged on and on. It was still a good read, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10.

Also, I'm watching Mushishi. 4 episodes in, I like it a lot. Very relaxed and interesting. Someohow, something of it reminds me of Claymore, but I can't put my fnger on it.

And they finally released to OVA #8 of Hellsing. Now to wait for the subs, and then one more year for OVA #9.

16185_s.gif

yeah that is true, the manga became a bit dramatic and went on a little too long. That is why I only said seen ;) as I thought the anime was the perfect length or even a bit too short.

29mq23n.jpg

There's an elephant in the room

And everytime I mention it I'm a fool.

I'm following a few new anime series, deadman wonderland, tiger & bunny, blue exorcist, steins gate and kaiji season 2, they're all awesome.

2480+ total

My friends finally convinced me to start watching anime. By the recommendation of everyone I know, I watched Cowboy Bebop. It was entertaining, but I guess I don't see why it's considered one of the all time greats. I also watched Bartender, and liked it a lot more than Cowboy Bebop. Any suggestions as to what might really interest me? Those are the only 2 animes I've seen.

My friends finally convinced me to start watching anime. By the recommendation of everyone I know, I watched Cowboy Bebop. It was entertaining, but I guess I don't see why it's considered one of the all time greats. I also watched Bartender, and liked it a lot more than Cowboy Bebop. Any suggestions as to what might really interest me? Those are the only 2 animes I've seen.

If you liked Bartender, you might like Mushishi. The premise is moreoless similar, a guy who fixes people's problems, with a very relaxed atmosphere.

16185_s.gif

Thinking of downloading and watching Darker than Black. Anyone ever see it?

edit:

Downloading Darker Than Black and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (S1+S2).

If you want something with a more serious tone watch Monster or Serial Experiments Lain. Paranoia Agent is also probably one of my favorite animes of all time. Just let

convince you.

Also watch some anime moves. Akira, Paprika, Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress are all brilliant. (Yes, I like Satoshi Kon's works).

Thinking of downloading and watching Darker than Black. Anyone ever see it?

edit:

Downloading Darker Than Black and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (S1+S2).

Darker than Black is quite good, although season 2 is kind of dissapointing. Don't want to spoil anything, but I thought the ending was... bad.

Also, I just discovered Me and the devil blues.

This is definetly the best art style I've seen. Might not be super realistic and detailed like Vagabond or Berserk, but damn, you could pretty much hang some of the pages in a wall.

16185_s.gif

Got through most of Season one for Higurashi. I'm really disappointed with it overall. It had a really good chance of being great but the story just gets too convoluted. Also the animation in it is pretty bad at times.

Sad that it didn't turn out to be better, the concept of it seemed interesting. I think I had partialy the same issue with it as I did Elfen Lied; they just tried too hard. I'll probably just move to watching Darker than Black. Honestly though if you didn't mind Elfen lied and you like a very anime style (like very typical) than you'd probably like Higurashi.

I do like Higurashi. There's a second series (Kai) but if you didn't like the original series the second isn't so much better. The animation is very anime-like and while the plot does get explained, there's less gore and more friendship.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Yeah I downloaded both of the series at once. I think one of my big issues with it is the concept of telling the story over and over again from different perspectives started to get old. I thought the pacing was really strange.

Also

[hide=spoiler]I really didn't like when one of the characters just started to go bat[cabbage] crazy. I thought it was a much better series when it was characters who felt like they were backed into a corner with no option but to kill. The whole Shion thing though just made it seem like she was a bloodthirsty killer upset over a guy. Honestly I pretty much stopped watching after that arc.[/hide]

When it comes to anime. I usually like a mix of serious and comedy series. Lucky Star and Ouran High School Host Club for example when it comes to Comedy. Ghost in the Shell, Elfen Lied when it comes to serious. My favorite of all time, hands down, is Witchblade. I know I'm probably bias with this anime, but to me personally, it has the perfect story, perfect cast, etc...I usually never hold an anime over my favorite book or movie, but Witchblade seriously blows anything I've ever experienced out of the water.

I'd advise it as a must see for anyone who likes a captivating story, characters, etc. You don't even have to be big on anime to love it.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Saw some actually decent anime DVDs/Blu Rays in a second hand entertainment store today. £15 for 12 episodes of Durarara! and £18 for I think 13 episodes of FMA Brotherhood in Blu Ray. I was honestly shocked they had more than Naruto/Bleach/Studio Ghibli (though they did have them), which you usually just see. Anime DVD prices are honestly riddiculous in most cases, like £20 for 4/5 episodes ¬_¬

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

On Ep 09 of Darker than Black. Really liking it so far. Pretty good atmosphere and some cool characters. Not entirely what I was expecting but its pretty fun so far.

edit: Ok EP 13 and 14 were incredible.

I've been told to watch Darker than Black but I've not really bothered, it hasn't caught my eye but I do need to consider it.

Finished Hourou Musuko and started Gunslinger Girl. Hourou was decent, had a nice storyline and tackled interesting issues. Really enjoying Gunslinger Girl so far, too. Knew it was worth the download :)

Also, getting 1080p Clannad (& After Story), win or win? :D

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Finished Darker than black. The end was fairly disappointing but it was a good show overall. Not a favorite but a lot of the end of Season 1 / start of season 2 episodes were really great.

Finished Darker than black. The end was fairly disappointing but it was a good show overall. Not a favorite but a lot of the end of Season 1 / start of season 2 episodes were really great.

I warned you about endings bro!!!!

I told you dog!

@Riku: I'm following Kaiji and Nichijou, considering watching Steins; Gate.

16185_s.gif

I told you dog!

Heh yeah, I had heard about the ending from a review I read as well. Still was well worth the watch though. I'm debating what to watch now... I'm not sure if there is anything I'd want to watch.

anime noob here. someone on reddit told me to watch rurouni kenshin, i'm about 15 episodes in and it's pretty awesome. what are some other "must-watch" animes?

My personal opinion here. These are my favorites and what I think give a good idea of a lot of different anime. I don't really watch a lot of standard anime, I don't like a lot of the standard tropes and such that it uses. Still these are all brilliant watches:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Yes, it is hyped. A lot. It is absolutely worth watching however and it is not just another big robot anime. Like seriously there are moments that will make you tear up because of the sheer amazement of it all. Just watch it.

Paranoia Agent

I hype this one up a lot, alongside of Satoshi Kon's other stuff. I still think it is a brilliant show and satire of Japanese (and any really) civilization. One thing I will say is this show gets weird.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

This is kind of a standard recomendation if you are just getting into anime. It's fairly light-hearted while still being really interesting. I liked it although I never watched past the first season.

Monster

Goddamnit I am going to tell people to watch this every time they ask. If you want a serious anime that doesn't go for the standard anime tropes Monster is absolutely the best. Unlike a lot of more serious anime Monster feels much more like a very engrossing drama and mystery. Rather than a style of something like Lain which is very surreal and minimal Monster has a lot going on. There are a ton of plot threads going on throughout the 74 episode series and in the end they all piece together brilliantly. It's a pretty big investment to watch this one, I would maybe watch it after you've seen some of the shorter animes. Still it is undoubtly my favorite anime of all time.

Serial Experiments Lain

This is a really incredible anime. It can be tough to understand the first time through. Like I said it has a really minimalistic take on everything. Conversation only happens when it is important. Still I think it is important you watch it, it's really interesting.

Aside from that I think some anime movies you should absolutely watch are Akira, Perfect Blue, and Paprika. Akira is just a legend of a movie and the other two are just awesome Satoshi Kon works.

edit: Oh and I almost forgot Baccano!. Really badass anime. Also even though I really love Texhonolyzed I would not recommend it to someone new to anime, it's not a very easy one to get into.

I told you dog!

Steins;Gate is awesome. It's a bit difficult to follow at first, sort of hard to understand, BUT it's really good once you do follow what they're doing and the characters are much, much better than those from Chaos;Head. C;H really pales in comparison to S;G.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I told you dog!

Steins;Gate is awesome. It's a bit difficult to follow at first, sort of hard to understand, BUT it's really good once you do follow what they're doing and the characters are much, much better than those from Chaos;Head. C;H really pales in comparison to S;G.

Would you say it's worth to wait for the BD to come out or should I just watch it now?

16185_s.gif

Running out of things to watch and since YTV stopped running anime I havn't had much access to anime that might interest me.

I'm interested in naruto, bleach, inuyash, fma, and most of the gundam series. Any recomendations? I'd rather watch something that has been dubbed just because i hate reading subtitles while trying to watch the show. But i'll try some subbed if theres nothing els.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

You should give Hunter X Hunter a try. One of the best battle shonens in my opinion. Also, even though I haven't seen it myself, you''d probably like Gurren Lagann.

I finally started watching Ghost in the Shell. Can't believe I didn't do it earlier, to be honest. Also, picked up Mawaru Penguindrum. Seems kinda meh so far, I'll wait until the third episode to see wether it's worth it.

16185_s.gif

I watched Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (or Puella Magi Madoka Magica) and it was AWESOME. But why are all great animes so short? :(

What I liked about it:

• The animation. The style is something totally unique.
  • The situation totally changes pretty much every episode. You just cannot stop watching until it's finished.
  • [spoiler=May spoil a bit...]It's really dark for a magical girl anime. It has all standard magical girl stuff (power of love, magic, a cute animal supporting the main character(s)), but used very differently from any other anime.

The girls are really cute :3 As a result, ...[spoiler=Warning: this spoils pretty much the whole anime]...it's much more horrible when three of five main characters are dead by the last episode 

Anyway, if you're even slightly interested, watch it. Sadly it's hard to tell anything about it without spoiling because of #2 on the above list.