Surgery -gulps-

bloodyhatchetbear

Ok, here's the deal. I'm going into surgery in about a week and a half for a removal of a pilonidal sinus. Basically, it's a really, REALLY bad infection, and it's right on my tailbone. Let's just say, I am scared carpless right now. I don't like the idea of anesthesia. I don't like the idea of someone cutting me up and stitching me back together. Unfortunately, it kinda needs to be done.

I got a couple links for you guys to check out, if you want to.

http://www.pilonidal.org/whatitis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilonidal_cyst

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and- ... ndial-cyst

So, basically, I'm trying to see if anyone else here has shared the fears of going under the knife. How bad was it? How long did it take to recover? Do you still have the scars? I'm just curious, and scared for myself.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That infection sounds painful. I've undergone minor surgery a couple times on my toes, for ingrown toenails, and one to reattach a piece of bone to my ankle, which had broken off. I can't really remember the ankle one, but for the toe ones, I remember the initial injections hurting a lot. And when he cut my toe open it bled like a mother.

You'll be fine, though. :P

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I havent got any experience but trust me youll be fine. As for the anasthetic they use a mix of gas and air so you dont choke and its all very pleasant or if they use an injection which i dont think they do then just grin and bear it.

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

Honestly you won't even notice the anesthesia. I had it when I got my tonsils removed and I pretty much just ended up waking up after it was done and my mouth was a bit sore.

You shouldn't have any problems :)

Sorry to say this, but it'll be funny when you can't sit down when with your friends because your butt hurts :lol: . Anyways, don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Just remember, don't let the doctor put you to sleep while your back side is so vulnerable :lol: :lol: . (Sorry, just had to say one more :D )

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

The anesthesia is so great you don't even notice the giant tube being shoved up your arm, let alone the knife being stabbed into you.

Surgery on my left knee to get an inch of bone removed. Twas fun.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It would be even worse if you didn't get this done and when you sat down by your friends and stood up, the chair was soaking wet...

Going to that wikipedia page was kind of gross... It was all drippy and pale and hairy...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Sorry to say this, but it'll be funny when you can't sit down when with your friends because your butt hurts :lol: . Anyways, don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Just remember, don't let the doctor put you to sleep while your back side is so vulnerable :lol: :lol: . (Sorry, just had to say one more :D )

I'll be relocating my computer so I can use it laying on my stomach. That's all I really need.

It would be even worse if you didn't get this done and when you sat down by your friends and stood up, the chair was soaking wet...

Going to that wikipedia page was kind of gross... It was all drippy and pale and hairy...

Yeah, wish I chose one of the other pages :/.

And about the surgery: I wouldn't recommend worrying about the initial surgery, because you'll just basically fall asleep and then wake up with stitches in your [censor]. But have fun replacing those bandages. Hopefully you aren't one of the people who has to replace them for 1 year.

Shaniqua.png

If you don't like anesthesia, just get them to hit you with a hammer :lol:

My grandfather gets surgery all the time, he's in terrible health right now. You'll be fine.

And I agree with xville, even though it's more of a treat for us guys.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Relax, I've had two operations and anesthesia is just like a pleasant dream, except the dream isn't really pleasant and you feel all drowsy when you wake up. There's nothing to worry about, they'll fix it.

(If they don't, you can sure them :mrgreen:)

-New Zealand's only snake.

~I do have a signature, I just can't be stuffed using it.

Silver_snake.pngSilver_Snake.png

My grandfather gets surgery all the time, he's in terrible health right now. You'll be fine.

That's why he's in terrible health! Surgery kills! Ruuuun!

I knew I could totally take that one out of context. :lol:

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

" The only good thing about being wounded in the buttocks is the ice cream. They gave me all the ice cream I could eat. " :D

5 points for movie.

Ffs, thats easy: Forest Gump. :geek:

I wouldn't be comfortable with sugury neither...amazed by the complexity of the human body...but cutting it up...MINE up... :-#

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

" The only good thing about being wounded in the buttocks is the ice cream. They gave me all the ice cream I could eat. " :D

500000000 points for movie.

SHRIMP SANDWICHES, SHRIMP SOUP, SHRIMP STEW, SHRIMP GUMBO

Um, Forrest Gump.

Anyways. That's gross, about the pictures on the wikipedia page. That must suck [wagon].

Oh, wait.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

10 points for Gryffindor!

Forrest Gump sure is an awesome movie. In fact, if you're bringing a laptop, rewatch it for fun.

[hide=funny gump qoute]Forrest: You're a momma, Jenny.

Jenny: I'm a momma. His name is Forrest.

Forrest: Like me.

Jenny: I named him after his Daddy.

Forrest: He got a daddy named Forrest, too?[/hide]

1z2zrwo.jpg

people worry about surgery way to much, dont. its never any where close to as painful as you might think it will be. whats painful? getting shot in the knee cap, breaking multiple bones, etc thats painful, surgery, lol no

legends2.jpg

Lol dude, my sister had this surgery done. ::'

Nothing to be worried about unless the surgeon accidentally cuts your head open instead of the opposite side. But regardless, besides not being able to sit at all for a 4 days, and then not being able to sit w/o pain or a very comfy cushion it's a breeze. In my sisters case she had no pain at all (they did keep on top of the drugs though). Anyways the surgery will probably only take 4 hours at the most, and you'll be out for 5-6, and then on medication for 2-3 days. My sister had relatively no pain at all, and she wasn't down, or moaning or anything, she was like she hadn't had surgery.

This isn't anything to worry about. ;)

people worry about surgery way to much, dont. its never any where close to as painful as you might think it will be. whats painful? getting shot in the knee cap, breaking multiple bones, etc thats painful, surgery, lol no

Besides recovering and then if they have to inject a local anesthesia, that's not painful at all!

Uh, yeah it is really painful, depending on where it is and how long the recovery is.

Hehe, Jas = scardy cat <3: . Dont worry, you'll be fine. It's not like they're gonna attack you with a knife or anything... :ohnoes:

On a serious note, I had surgery when I was 7 on my hip (because of an infection) walking with it was a right pain. And before the damn thing, they even spelt my name as Timmy <.< . Gf doctors. Took 3days to get that sorted out.

It didnt hurt at all. You'll be asleep and you wont feel a thing. Having a good friend/parent there really helps (my mum brought me to the A&E). And, at least after the op, you'll be able to sit down eventually :lol: .

Have fun <3: .

Oh btw, when you're giving the anesthe...sleeping thingy <.< count to 10. ::'

Heh, don't worry about it. My brother had gallbladder surgery a few years back; he told me the anesthesia wasn't bad (though kind of an off feeling) and it was kind of like going to sleep. As for the pain part of it, well, I don't know how a however-you-spell-it cyst feels. Good luck with the surgery, mate, I'm sure it's going to be fine. ::'

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg