Google Chrome

0ne_time

Very nice but i will have to go with blade no add ons is a big turn off. I was impressed and have always been impressed with Google. I thought before i downloaded it it would over take firefox but with no add ons i would say that is a major turn off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think again, DVD. And read the comic in its entirety.

Any chance you found the bloody menu bar, then? :roll: ... Seeing some of the other posts since yours, I really doubt that Google is going to be getting into things any time soon. -.- ... BTW, pardon me being a pessimist. I just feel like this is going to die like other hypeware. :|

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Any chance you found the bloody menu bar, then? :roll: ... Seeing some of the other posts since yours, I really doubt that Google is going to be getting into things any time soon. -.- ... BTW, pardon me being a pessimist. I just feel like this is going to die like other hypeware. :|

~D. V. Devnull

It looks like Google is getting into the web browser market right now. For a beta release, this is fully capable competing with Firefox and IE. Remember, this browser is less than a day old, it can only get better. When developers start making addons, the browser is going to eat away at Firefox's market share fast. Especially that Chrome has a faster rendering engine (webkit).

A lot more average people know what Google is than Firefox, all Google has to do is have a blurb on their homepage and a lot of curious IE folks will give it a try and some may use it as their default.

Why do you need to find the menu bar anyway? The two icons on the right hand side are all you really need.

goldenblade995.png

~D. V. Devnull

Not gonna happen. And I think it's been said already, this doesn't need a menu bar, it has two buttons on the right that do everything you need to do already.

For a beta, this is amazing. It is, as has been described by Google, a very solid browser. I can't wait until Firefox is modified to work the same!

C2b6gs7.png

BTW, pardon me being a pessimist. I just feel like this is going to die like other hypeware. :|
Not a chance, this is here to stay.

I'm running Chrome now and Oh My God, it's brilliant, very fast due to DNS pre-fetching, phishing and virus protection built in and so far has done a perfect job at rendering every site I have tried. It even rendered the menu I coded on >Checklist< correcly, I wrote that a looong time ago and uses very dirty javascript. Chrome also seems to value you browsing real estate by not cluttering it up with menu bars, excellent!

I love the history screen too, excellent search function and the Javascript debugger is nice, and I love the way it manages your passwords :)

All in all, excellent, so far I have no complaints except for Runescape HD not always going into full screen. But that was the same in IE and I think Jagex still have some bugs to sort out themselves.

Oh and one more thing, Chrome's CSS isn't broken like it is with Firefox 3.

There are a lot of things that I like about Chrome -- the fact that it runs in separate processes, and the fact that if I terminate/kill that process, the sad tab appears (and a refresh brings the page right back up).

Again, I believe that this will definitely be a competitor in the browser market, but I really don't think it'll usurp IE, or replace Firefox as the defacto browser. Not yet, anyway.

By the by, "Incognito Mode" simply hides what pages you've browsed from the history tab. Sure hope there comes an ability to disable that depending on user privileges, since that has "curious but disobedient teenage child freedom bubble" written all over it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Here is a screenshot of the "Inspect Element" feature (In case you haven't seen it yet). I love this thing

[hide=Screenshot]258qtjk.png[/hide]

now all we need is some more features added in. But yeah, the menu bar really isn't required what with the two buttons it has, and It does make the browser seem a bit more tidy. Basically so far it is exactly what they said it is, a simplistic browser which doesn't get in your way, by being both quick and efficient and clutter free.

And with Google behind this, I very much doubt it will be a five minute wonder. This has some serious potential.

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

Hm, more competition, suppose it's good.

But I'll continue on with my awesome Norwegian browser.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

A very strange bug I just found out about from a friend.

[hide=Warning causes browser (all tabs) to crash!]Type :% (colon percent) into the address bar[/hide]

Pretty random huh? :lol:

Um.. does Chrome cache tab state like Opera does? Hard to explain but say you nav away from the page, then return to it is the state the same as when you left it (this includes form field data, etc)?

A very strange bug I just found out about from a friend.

[hide=Warning causes browser (all tabs) to crash!]Type :% (colon percent) into the address bar[/hide]

Pretty random huh? :lol:

I like the error message "Woah, Google Chrome has crashed. Restart Now?" ^^, But yeah, that is a odd one :D

And @ darkrick

You mean like if you clicked to another page and then clicked back? If so then yes the state seems to be the the same, with the form data intact. Same for clicking between tabs. Closing/reopening the browser makes everything get reset though, however you can make it re-open the tabs and sites you had open on your last visits.

And @ PhaperPlane

3D PIPES FTW! (Nice find/share, lol)

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

And @ darkrick

You mean like if you clicked to another page and then clicked back? If so then yes the state seems to be the the same, with the form data intact. Same for clicking between tabs. Closing/reopening the browser makes everything get reset though, however you can make it re-open the tabs and sites you had open on your last visits.

Yep that's what I was asking, you wouldn't believe how much I need that functionality :lol:

And buried deep in the T@C's:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Another reason why I won't be using chrome.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Um.. does Chrome cache tab state like Opera does? Hard to explain but say you nav away from the page, then return to it is the state the same as when you left it (this includes form field data, etc)?

Testing...

Yes. :lol:

While I'll be giving Chrome a big test, I don't think that it'll usurp Firefox as my defacto browser. I'm willing to believe that many other browsers (notably Opera and Firefox) will improve on the innovation that Google has set forward, but as far as a total replacement, no dice. ;)

Aside from possibly the V8 javascript engine (I am unaware of whether google invented it or not), what did they 'innovate'?

Their browser engine? Nope, that was Apple

Tabs? Nope, every major browser has those

Most recently visited sites? Opera has it I believe, IE8 beta 2 does too.

Incognito? Nope, Safari I believe offered such a feature first, IE8 beta 2 does as well (InPrivate).

Separate processes for each tab? Again IE8 beta 2 offers that.

Crash control? Firefox 3 I am pretty sure has it, IE8 beta 2 does as well.

Anti Phishing filter? hmm... pretty sure most major browsers offer that.

As I pointed out, many other browser vendors, including microsoft (which is considered behind in the browser wars) beat them to most of these features.

Nothing wrong with offering people more options. However, I wouldn't use the word "innovative". Mozilla and Opera are fairly far ahead of google at this point.

While I'll be giving Chrome a big test, I don't think that it'll usurp Firefox as my defacto browser. I'm willing to believe that many other browsers (notably Opera and Firefox) will improve on the innovation that Google has set forward, but as far as a total replacement, no dice. ;)

Aside from possibly the V8 javascript engine (I am unaware of whether google invented it or not), what did they 'innovate'?

Their browser engine? Nope, that was Apple

Tabs? Nope, every major browser has those

Most recently visited sites? Opera has it I believe, IE8 beta 2 does too.

Incognito? Nope, Safari I believe offered such a feature first, IE8 beta 2 does as well (InPrivate).

Separate processes for each tab? Again IE8 beta 2 offers that.

Crash control? Firefox 3 I am pretty sure has it, IE8 beta 2 does as well.

Anti Phishing filter? hmm... pretty sure most major browsers offer that.

As I pointed out, many other browser vendors, including microsoft (which is considered behind in the browser wars) beat them to most of these features.

Nothing wrong with offering people more options. However, I wouldn't use the word "innovative". Mozilla and Opera are fairly far ahead of google at this point.

Okay, I'll give you the browser engine and the tabs thing. Hell, you expect those features with every browser you get nowadays.

As for the separate processes/tab thing, I'd like to see Microsoft release their code to the public domain. That's why I'm giving Google credit for it; sure, Microsoft beat them to the punch with it, but Google at least showed the rest of the world how it can be done.

Innovation can only occur when the entire world can benefit from it. That'd be why I chose that word. ;)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

One thing I really dislike is certain webpages can't be scrolled, or anything with the mouse scroll wheel. It happens at random times.

In general I think it's a good browser, and with a few months of work it'll be working in good competition with IE8 and FF3.

A funny thing though is to highlight the post code things (B, I, U, Quote, Code, List...etc) that are at the top of the post thing, and see how distorted the explanations become. Though don't know if that happens in FF...?

Any chance they did a rating for FF2-Series? :-s

(Just curious because I like some classic tech... :anxious: ...)

~D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)