Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

High levels and no money later?

Excuse me?

Im 120 combat, a combat 99, a very expensive 99, and I have 35M in the bank.

And Iv got 69 slayer.

And you show off your total levels?

They mean nothing.

Id be able to kill you in PvP no matter what, because your total level has nothing to do with anything.

I could beat you in pretty much any skill if all you were relying on was a total level. (assuming all my stats were higher than yours, you have me beat in some places, but, its not in relation to total levels, which is my point.)

What the [bleep]?

Are you mentally challenged? I obviously meant that slayer is free total levels. -.-

oh and btw 99 crafting isnt expensive.

EDIT: Note I cant go to monkies btw.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for having enough intelligence to see slayer isn't as godly as everyone makes it out to be. =D>

I'm sick of people thinking slayer is a viable method for training efficiently.

What the [bleep]?

Are you mentally challenged? I obviously meant that slayer is free total levels. -.-

Why the hell do total levels matter? Do you think you gain respect from having a high total?

You don't. Total levels don't matter! It's ideas like that that make me want to shut my head in a revolving door.

Total levels are a means to see the cumulative amount of levels you have gained, not to say "hey I have [insert total level here] I'm better than all you noobs!!!!!"

99 crafting is expensive if you use dragonhide, which most sane people do. If you'd like to get 99 crafting from braclets or some other means be my guest.

I can honestly say that I don't like slayer, regardless of what people say. I play RS to have fun, not to grind skills to get a higher total level or more "respect". This is the reason that after over 5 years of playing, my total level is only 1811. The argument ender is this: play the game to have fun. If you think slayer is fun and diverse, do it. If you're like me and compfreak, don't do it. I'm tired of getting flamed in-game for having a low slayer level versus my combat level. Play the game to have fun and stfu about "respect" and junk.

Exactly!

If you're going to train slayer afterwards, then you're ignorant and just wasting your time.

However, if you're not going to train slayer at all by all means max out in the fastest way possible ;)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

99 crafting is expensive if you use dragonhide, which most sane people do. If you'd like to get 99 crafting from braclets or some other means be my guest.

For the record, I did use dragonhide.

Unless you consider 70M 'not expensive' then go ahead and get it yourself.

If Dhide isnt the best way? Why dont you have 99 crafting, for all those 'free total levels'

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

10 hours of slayer = 350k range XP, 400k profit

I did a little test. I thought the figure was way off since I always have a nice steady income with slayer.

So I slayed for exactly one hour. I happened to have the task abberant specters. A task often skipped by many slayers because it is slow and not profitable.

I used the cheap method. No praying. Just cheap food. I also used a terror bird. Not that it would have made much difference if I didn't because I jump between the slayer tower and castlewar chest with rings of slayer and rings of dueling.

I was wearing black d hide legs and body, a slayer helmet, fury, RoW, Climbing boots, a rune defender, rune gloves, and a modest whip.

I use 33 trouts (junk food I have in my bank) per trip (12 spaces in the terror bird). One or two doses of super att, def, and str.

I loaded up at 20.16 at the castlewar chest.

I was back at the castle war chest at 21.15.

So it was actually 59 minutes which included putting the gear on, loading up on supplies and once even charging summoning points.

I used up:

2 terror bird pouches (GE 652gp)

4 doses super att, def, and str (893, 813, and 4686 gp)

And 99 cooked trouts (3069 gp)

I also used 3 charges of the ring of duelling and the slayer ring. I didn't put a price on that.

Now...

what was dropped within that hour.

Charms:

3 crimson

4 blue

12 gold

8 green

You can't put a price on charms so I won't.

Herbs

10 ranarrs - 56070 gp

3 aventoe - 3885 gp

4 cadantine - 4172 gp

4 dwarf weed - 10920 gp

1 landantyme - 1316 gp

4 kwuarm - 13580 gp

4 irit - 5436 gp

5 haralanders ( I didn't pick them all up because I hardly ever do) 3945 gp

regular loot

mystic robe bottom - 48827 gp - and actually sold for 51300

lava battle staff - 10045 gp

Loop half key - 7810 gp

5 uncut sapphire - 2930 gp

2 Uncut emerald - 944 gp

Rune full helm - 21094 gp

mith kite shield - 1326 gp

coins - 640 gp (random event)

Seeds

2 aventoe seed - 302 gp

2 irit seed - 474 gp

4 toadflax seed- 1960 gp

1 cadantine seed - 878 gp

2 snapdragonseed - 57818 gp

1 ladantyme seed - 3363 gp

2 kwuarm seed - 16006 gp

total costs:

A modest 10.113 gp per hour

Total gain:

A whopping 276.214 gp per hour

Total profit:

266.101 gp per hour.

Do that for 10 hours and you have 2.5 million gp.

10 hours of 9 spiders + 1 GWD = 600k range XP, 1m profit

Better than Godwars! \'

I will keep testing with other tasks when I feel like it, and I actually had no clue what the results would be for this test. I just know that abberrant specters aren't one of my favourite tasks because they don't really drop a superdrop.

I do think that your 400k per hour is way off. Maybe that is right for someone with lousy stats and a very very low slayer level doing a silly slayer monster on purpose.

And what are the requirements for the aberrant spectre?

60 slayer. A level you can reach easily within a short time.

slayer rocks.

ps. I didn't record my experience gain.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

I like keeping my stats balanced, so I train slayer too. If I trained my stats at zombie monkeys, I'd have 55 slayer. With my lowest skill being 72 atm, and aiming for 75, that would be horrible. Training slayer gets you more total levels, and total levels are very important in this game.

2j3qh46.jpg

I like keeping my stats balanced, so I train slayer too. If I trained my stats at zombie monkeys, I'd have 55 slayer. With my lowest skill being 72 atm, and aiming for 75, that would be horrible. Training slayer gets you more total levels, and total levels are very important in this game.

Total levels dont matter for anything.

Give me one ingame reason they are actually used for.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Why are they so important?

If you want total levels, train slayer to around 80. At that point there are many more skills that you should be working on for faster totals, unless you ever plan to max out everything.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Hmm....

Runecrafting, Construction (past 70), herblore, theiving, crafting, fletching, slayer, hunter, mining, smithing, fishing, cooking, fm, woodcutting all have no purpose, besides training the skill. All those skills make money slower than GWD.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Hmm....

Runecrafting, Construction (past 70), herblore, theiving, crafting, fletching, slayer, hunter, mining, smithing, fishing, cooking, fm, woodcutting all have no purpose, besides training the skill. All those skills make money slower than GWD.

Runecrafting is the best reliable moneymaker at 91. All of those skills require at least a low level for quests, although granted there is not much use beyond that. However, they are acknowlaged as such - useless skills trained simply for fun. Unlike slayer, training them does not invovlve slowing down training of other skills. That aside, I want to point out that slayer is considered a good way to train combat, which it is not. There is not one reason to train it. If you find it fun, so be it. But other then that, there is no reason.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

287 <---- :P Its not the slayer sucks its just its full of tedium and in the end boring. The reason I think people think its the greatest skill but 1. It's a highLY respected skill to have a 99, 2. You get to get unique drops and 3. Just apeals to people. Now I have 70 slayer o my account because I find Slayer amazing.

The reason most people say slay for the exp is that Slayer is filled with varied tasks and gives a player some more :fun: because they arent camping Monkeys for a week. When it comes to effiency the monkeys and other methods are far better, but to compare a combat skill with a totally diff skill is sorta ridiculously. Most people say it sucks because it takes too long to level past 70. It doesnt suck its just people are too lazy or cant pay attention long enoughh to put up with it. Ill end with Slayer doesnt suck it just has an odd way of being random.

The real fact on why it isnt sucky is the Skill Cape. B

~Rox

Rox_Sabre.png

env_ragnarok.png

Slayers and non-slayers mind their own business, until one tells the other 'do what I do' or 'you aren't doing it the right way'. Thats when the spices and attitudes are exchanged.

Tbh, either way works. compfreak's points are valid, if I didn't train slayer that much I could've been better off, but then I'm just simple minded and went for the easier route (slayer).

Ultimately, Its all upto your own preference so why turn to rant, wait, is it because people kept telling you to slay?

Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

Slayers and non-slayers mind their own business, until one tells the other 'do what I do' or 'you aren't doing it the right way'. Thats when the spices and attitudes are exchanged.

Tbh, either way works. compfreak's points are valid, if I didn't train slayer that much I could've been better off, but then I'm just simple minded and went for the easier route (slayer).

Ultimately, Its all upto your own preference so why turn to rant, wait, is it because people kept telling you to slay?

It's because everyone says that slayer is the fastest, most efficient, and all around best way of training any combat skill. I'm here to say that it's not, and for such an overrated skill, its very near the bottom. As I said before, typical 'combat training' questions are answered with slayer, then 6 other posts saying 'yeah do slayer'.

DeviledEgg24.png

I'm the last person who usually posts a "get over it". But seriously, why rant so vehemently against a skill that is really not bad at all?

What non-slayers always fail to see, is that slayer is a COMBINATION skill in two senses.

1) You train combat AND make money. Of course you don't gain as much xp as when powertraining, nor do you get as much money as you do when doing GWD. Because then the skill would be unbalanced and you'd be whining how slayer is overpowered.

2) It is the skill that links combat with skills. Training slayer gains you combat levels, slayer levels and good money/resources to train other skills. Think of the seeds, the gems, the pure essence, the herbs,... I know self-sufficiency is looked down on by so-called efficient players, but I for one adored being able to provide for all my needs through slayer drops, and make more than a 100M in cash on top. There is no 99 slayer out there who hasn't also got a fabulous farming, herblore and crafting level (3 rather expensive skills) on top of his maxed out combat stats, thanks to slayer. A lot of players are attracted to this kind of combined training. And who can blame them.

Also, slayer is a good skill for those of us who are not inclined to go monster hunting. I personally hate GWD. I don't like playing in teams and the soloing prospects are too limited. It's absolutely ridiculous how GWD comes up in every discussion as the ultimate moneymaker when the majority of RS players can't do GWD or are not inclined to do it.

1) You train combat AND make money. Of course you don't gain as much xp as when powertraining, nor do you get as much money as you do when doing GWD. Because then the skill would be unbalanced and you'd be whining how slayer is overpowered.

But, see, you do both of them, together, FAR slower then you could without training slayer. And apparently some people just can't wrap their minds around that. If you asked someone what the best way to train combat while making some money was, 4/5 people would say 'slayer' - even though it is nowhere close to the best.

2) It is the skill that links combat with skills. Training slayer gains you combat levels, slayer levels and good money/resources to train other skills. Think of the seeds, the gems, the pure essence, the herbs,... I know self-sufficiency is looked down on by so-called efficient players, but I for one adored being able to provide for all my needs through slayer drops, and make more than a 100M in cash on top. There is no 99 slayer out there who hasn't also got a fabulous farming, herblore and crafting level (3 rather expensive skills) on top of his maxed out combat stats, thanks to slayer. A lot of players are attracted to this kind of combined training. And who can blame them.

That is a very bad argument. With the GE, items are worth what their market value is; no more, no less. Another skill that makes more money could easily be used to buy all of the aforementioned things. Which was already covered in the 'average income' of slayer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Hiscores.

2j3qh46.jpg

Hiscores.

As I've said, almost all skills have no purpose. Nobody cooks anymore for profit.

It's because everyone says that slayer is the fastest, most efficient, and all around best way of training any combat skill. I'm here to say that it's not, and for such an overrated skill, its very near the bottom. As I said before, typical 'combat training' questions are answered with slayer, then 6 other posts saying 'yeah do slayer'.

It is the best way. Who doesn't want to get Slayer levels, even though it's pointless. If this is true, why even skill at all?

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Hiscores.

As I've said, almost all skills have no purpose. Nobody cooks anymore for profit.

It is the best way. Who doesn't want to get Slayer levels, even though it's pointless. If this is true, why even skill at all?

For fun. The same, and only, reason to train slayer. Worse XP, worse drops, worse charms, blah blah blah. Only reason is fun. It aint the best for anything, not by a long shot.

DeviledEgg24.png

[hide=]

I did a little test. I thought the figure was way off since I always have a nice steady income with slayer.

So I slayed for exactly one hour. I happened to have the task abberant specters. A task often skipped by many slayers because it is slow and not profitable.

I used the cheap method. No praying. Just cheap food. I also used a terror bird. Not that it would have made much difference if I didn't because I jump between the slayer tower and castlewar chest with rings of slayer and rings of dueling.

I was wearing black d hide legs and body, a slayer helmet, fury, RoW, Climbing boots, a rune defender, rune gloves, and a modest whip.

I use 33 trouts (junk food I have in my bank) per trip (12 spaces in the terror bird). One or two doses of super att, def, and str.

So it was actually 59 minutes which included putting the gear on, loading up on supplies and once even charging summoning points.

I used up:

I also used 3 charges of the ring of duelling and the slayer ring. I didn't put a price on that.

Now...

Charms:

3 crimson

4 blue

12 gold

8 green

Herbs

10 ranarrs - 56070 gp

3 aventoe - 3885 gp

4 cadantine - 4172 gp

4 dwarf weed - 10920 gp

1 landantyme - 1316 gp

4 kwuarm - 13580 gp

4 irit - 5436 gp

regular loot

Loop half key - 7810 gp

2 Uncut emerald - 944 gp

Seeds

2 aventoe seed - 302 gp

2 irit seed - 474 gp

4 toadflax seed- 1960 gp

2 kwuarm seed - 16006 gp

total costs:

Total gain:

Total profit:

266.101 gp per hour.

Better than Godwars! \'

I will keep testing with other tasks when I feel like it, and I actually had no clue what the results would be for this test. I just know that abberrant specters aren't one of my favourite tasks because they don't really drop a superdrop.

I do think that your 400k per hour is way off. Maybe that is right for someone with lousy stats and a very very low slayer level doing a silly slayer monster on purpose.

slayer rocks.

[/hide]

One monster over a very short period of time proves ABSOLULTLY nothing. I got 60 steel dragons for a task; I spent 5 hours killing them, and spent 40k on prayer potions and averaged less then 10k xp per hour. So does that means slayer is 10k XP per hour and -10k profit? NO!

The only way you can really get a number is if you test ALL slayer monsters for several hours with standard equipment and armor, then average the results based on the probability and amount given by slayer masters. Until then, I'll take Zarfot's number of 50-75k per hour.

DeviledEgg24.png

Slayer's a great way to train. You never really get bored, and you basically get free total levels. I know this is going to read as an insult, but to see someone with your stats. Almost all 99 melees with 76 slayer, it really disgusts me.

Yeah, ide be dusgisted by someone who trained a different way than me too.

LOL

[hide=]

I used up:

Now...

Charms:

3 crimson

4 blue

12 gold

8 green

Herbs

10 ranarrs - 56070 gp

3 aventoe - 3885 gp

4 cadantine - 4172 gp

4 dwarf weed - 10920 gp

1 landantyme - 1316 gp

4 kwuarm - 13580 gp

4 irit - 5436 gp

regular loot

Loop half key - 7810 gp

2 Uncut emerald - 944 gp

Seeds

2 aventoe seed - 302 gp

2 irit seed - 474 gp

4 toadflax seed- 1960 gp

2 kwuarm seed - 16006 gp

total costs:

Total gain:

Total profit:

266.101 gp per hour.

Better than Godwars! \'

slayer rocks.

[/hide]

One monster over a very short period of time proves ABSOLULTLY nothing. I got 60 steel dragons for a task; I spent 5 hours killing them, and spent 40k on prayer potions and averaged less then 10k xp per hour. So does that means slayer is 10k XP per hour and -10k profit? NO!

The only way you can really get a number is if you test ALL slayer monsters for several hours with standard equipment and armor, then average the results based on the probability and amount given by slayer masters. Until then, I'll take Zarfot's number of 50-75k per hour.

Steel dragons should be blocked or skipped. I suggest you read a slayer guide. And, moreover, it is an ongoing experiment. I now have kalphites. Definitely a costly task. I will keep recording.

This first experiment showed a few things though.

1. Low level slayer monsters are highly profitable.

2. Simple tasks have the potential to cover the costs of expensive tasks.

I'd rather trust my own figures than those of someone who hates slayer for no good reason. Hence I actually started testing the income figures with slayer.

I actually gained at least 4 million gp in the last 10 hours (2 whips). That is way off of the 400k mentioned. So I was extremely lucky, or the 400k figure is made up by someone who wasn't careful. Even if I would detract the value of two whips I would still end up with a gain of close to 2 million. Still way off the 400k mark mentioned.

My initial test shows that my skeptical notion of the 400k figure could be based on reality.

I haven't trained slayer yet today, so no update.

And I very much doubt that you did any serious testing yourself. That is, actually recorded any activity in detail for more than an hour.

You can prove anything with figures, but real figures are usually more informative than made up ones.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

[hide=]

[hide=]

I used up:

Now...

Charms:

3 crimson

4 blue

12 gold

8 green

Herbs

10 ranarrs - 56070 gp

3 aventoe - 3885 gp

4 cadantine - 4172 gp

4 dwarf weed - 10920 gp

1 landantyme - 1316 gp

4 kwuarm - 13580 gp

4 irit - 5436 gp

regular loot

Loop half key - 7810 gp

2 Uncut emerald - 944 gp

Seeds

2 aventoe seed - 302 gp

2 irit seed - 474 gp

4 toadflax seed- 1960 gp

2 kwuarm seed - 16006 gp

total costs:

Total gain:

Total profit:

266.101 gp per hour.

Better than Godwars! \'

slayer rocks.

[/hide]

Steel dragons should be blocked or skipped. I suggest you read a slayer guide. And, moreover, it is an ongoing experiment. I now have kalphites. Definitely a costly task. I will keep recording.

This first experiment showed a few things though.

1. Low level slayer monsters are highly profitable.

2. Simple tasks have the potential to cover the costs of expensive tasks.

I'd rather trust my own figures than those of someone who hates slayer for no good reason. Hence I actually started testing the income figures with slayer.

I actually gained at least 4 million gp in the last 10 hours (2 whips). That is way off of the 400k mentioned. So I was extremely lucky, or the 400k figure is made up by someone who wasn't careful. Even if I would detract the value of two whips I would still end up with a gain of close to 2 million. Still way off the 400k mark mentioned.

My initial test shows that my skeptical notion of the 400k figure could be based on reality.

I haven't trained slayer yet today, so no update.

And I very much doubt that you did any serious testing yourself. That is, actually recorded any activity in detail for more than an hour.

You can prove anything with figures, but real figures are usually more informative than made up ones.

[/hide]

Like I said, I'm not slayer expert; that's why I went with Zarfot's figures. He says you'll make around 80m on 99 slayer, over 1,100 hours the cheap way, and roughly 40m if you go more for speed (Prayer and cannons, etc...). Oh, and apparently you missed the sarcasm of my steel dragons. I'm simply saying you can't take one lucky slayer task that you spent 1 hour on and say 'slayer give X profit and Y XP per hour'. Until you spend a few hundred hours truly testing and recording everything, your figures are garbage. Hence why I went with Zarfot, the master of efficiency itself (Ever seen his Mega Runecrafting guide?). I know some people aren't exactly friends with him, but I trust his figures. In fact, I would say that most of them should be significantly reduced; very few people actually reach that killing speed.

DeviledEgg24.png