Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

Hmmm, Compfreak, tell me this, if Slayer sucks so bad, and it was completely removed, all rewards from slayer would be removed also.... where would you get your whips, dark bows, slayer helmets, dragon boots + more? Obviously not pvp, since it's going to all be removed anyways, what can replace the whip? I agree that relying on slayer drops is not the best way to earn money, but without them RuneScape will not be the same RuneScape, perhaps everyone would be wielding dragon scimitars in combat instead of whips.

I consider slayer a tool, something RuneScape needs, but not (always) liked. Feel free to correct me, I like being disproved ;) .

(maybe I phrased it wrong, my main point are the slayer drops being so useful in combat that without slayer runescape will just not be the same)

Where did I suggest it be removed? I love the skill, why would I want it taken out? That being said, as pureprayer said, it wouldn't have that big of an impact. SS just means your strength drops 5 and your attack drops 19, and bandos boots work just as well. Besides, they could just as easily assign the drops to another monster -.-

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, Compfreak, tell me this, if Slayer sucks so bad, and it was completely removed, all rewards from slayer would be removed also.... where would you get your whips, dark bows, slayer helmets, dragon boots + more? Obviously not pvp, since it's going to all be removed anyways, what can replace the whip? I agree that relying on slayer drops is not the best way to earn money, but without them RuneScape will not be the same RuneScape, perhaps everyone would be wielding dragon scimitars in combat instead of whips.

I consider slayer a tool, something RuneScape needs, but not (always) liked. Feel free to correct me, I like being disproved ;) .

(maybe I phrased it wrong, my main point are the slayer drops being so useful in combat that without slayer runescape will just not be the same)

Where did I suggest it be removed? I love the skill, why would I want it taken out? That being said, as pureprayer said, it wouldn't have that big of an impact. SS just means your strength drops 5 and your attack drops 19, and bandos boots work just as well. Besides, they could just as easily assign the drops to another monster -.-

Well... I suppose that could happen.... but are you really going to use the SS against dragons? It's two handed, which means no antishield..... you're going to get burnt, badly.

i've been training slayer for a while now (213 tasks in a row, 88 slayer) and i cannot agree more.

it isn't a profitable way to train, nor is it experience efficient.

many times i am barely able to break even on most of my tasks, while i do enjoy the variety and find it fun to train, doing so has taken up a lot of time that i could have spent either making more money and/or getting more experience.

~thuglife~

<287>A player with 99 slayer once gave me good advice: Disable ALL dragon tasks. Your original post seems to be largely made against them.

Plus that was a lot of text just to say its the best combat exp.</287>

Wile I read all your posts on the one thread I will not go through the 1k+ posts on this thread lol

I didn't base my argument on dragon tasks at all; as mentioned before, XP rates were NOT determined with them.

Also, it was a lot of text to prove it was worse combat XP.

Opps, "best" was a typo.

Prism_Swords.png

Last year I was 87 Slayer. I had nothing in my bank, having quit and given away all my items. Deciding to come back, I asked my friend for a whip to start playing again. Ever since then I've really done nothing else but slay.

Although I was already maxed melee, mage, and range, in that time I went from 20m attack xp to over 56m. This is almost enough for 3 99s in attack, str, and defense, had I decided to train them individually. In addition, I also have a bank worth over 150m, with full bandos, dfs, sgs, and plenty more. I also have 94 summoning, which probably has cost me at least 50m by this point. I did nothing but slay since last year.

I maxed out before slayer was even out; however, were slayer around when I maxed, I would have been eager to train via slayer rather than spending hours just sitting around in the axe hut at 30k an hour.

Edit -- oh and in my experience I got a lot more than 50k/hr..

67th member to join Tip.it

99 Attack

99 Strength

99 Defense

99 Hitpoints

99 Mage

99 Range

99 Summoning

99 Slayer

99 Prayer

Last year I was 87 Slayer. I had nothing in my bank, having quit and given away all my items. Deciding to come back, I asked my friend for a whip to start playing again. Ever since then I've really done nothing else but slay.

Although I was already maxed melee, mage, and range, in that time I went from 20m attack xp to over 56m. This is almost enough for 3 99s in attack, str, and defense, had I decided to train them individually. In addition, I also have a bank worth over 150m, with full bandos, dfs, sgs, and plenty more. I also have 94 summoning, which probably has cost me at least 50m by this point. I did nothing but slay since last year.

I maxed out before slayer was even out; however, were slayer around when I maxed, I would have been eager to train via slayer rather than spending hours just sitting around in the axe hut at 30k an hour.

So would I. Good thing we have armored zombies that will make you much, much more GP then slayer will. Think of how rich you would be had you used them :ohnoes:

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

So would I. Good thing we have armored zombies that will make you much, much more GP then slayer will. Think of how rich you would be had you used them :ohnoes:

I have no idea what armored zombies are but I'm not sure that they would bring 200m in the course of maxing out.

67th member to join Tip.it

99 Attack

99 Strength

99 Defense

99 Hitpoints

99 Mage

99 Range

99 Summoning

99 Slayer

99 Prayer

I have no idea what armored zombies are but I'm not sure that they would bring 200m in the course of maxing out.

*sigh*

Please read my posts before responding. And no, they wouldn't bring in 200m, but in the time slayer would it would be around 600m. But it might not be as fun, depending on your style of play :lol:

DeviledEgg24.png

ummm 327 I believe? idk it was somewhere in the middle of your post...

You pose a great argument, and though I have no time to read 68 pages of material, I can offer my opinion:

Slayer offeres a variety of monsters to kill. That being said, me personally would rather partially AFK at some monster to train my stats while doing HW/ reading a book or something.

However, the main argument I believe (I don't support, and sorry if this is already been said) is that slayer is just another skill. One could argue why have firemaking as a skill? Why get firemaking up to 99.? If anything, Slayer is more fun than firemaking, and at least you make some sort of profit/ other skills trained.

That being said (I like this term :P), no way am I getting any sort of boring/ nonprofitable skill up to 99. Waste of time IMO.

Sorry if I am saying things that have already been covered.

Nairage.png

Click on my stats for my no ppot barrows guide

You pose a great argument, and though I have no time to read 68 pages of material, I can offer my opinion:

Slayer offeres a variety of monsters to kill. That being said, me personally would rather partially AFK at some monster to train my stats while doing HW/ reading a book or something.

However, the main argument I believe (I don't support, and sorry if this is already been said) is that slayer is just another skill. One could argue why have firemaking as a skill? Why get firemaking up to 99.? If anything, Slayer is more fun than firemaking, and at least you make some sort of profit/ other skills trained.

That being said (I like this term :P), no way am I getting any sort of boring/ nonprofitable skill up to 99. Waste of time IMO.

Ok great. Are you saying the only skills worth doing are runecrafting and combat?

Slayer is one of the slowest skills to train and firemaking is much faster. Right now the best skills for cash are RC and combat. Now we should only train those skills.

99 attack/99 strength/99 defense/ 99 hits/99 range/99 magic/99 rc and maybe 99 agility ftw.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Ok great. Are you saying the only skills worth doing are runecrafting and combat?

Slayer is one of the slowest skills to train and firemaking is much faster. Right now the best skills for cash are RC and combat. Now we should only train those skills.

99 attack/99 strength/99 defense/ 99 hits/99 range/99 magic/99 rc and maybe 99 agility ftw.

Ummm no that is not what I am saying... I am saying I'de rather train skills that are worthwhile in my view rather than those that arn't...

You are awfully defensive man... I am not insulting people who train slayer and firemaking, I am just saying that it is not worthwhile to train them in my opinion. Note the IMO- that doesn't mean it is a waste of time for others. Different people like different things.

You must have not gotten the meaning of my post. I was trying to offer a guess at the reason people train slayer despite all its downpoints. The point I was trying to make was that much like firemaking, people train it as it is just another skill. Nobody uses firemaking really, they just like to showboat with their cape. Slayer is just another skill really, and besides the drops has no real purpose currently.

If I may name some skills that are good that you forgot to mention: prayer, construction, fletching, hunter, mining, smithing, fishing/cooking, and summoning. And a handful of other OK ones.

Also, in case you didn't know, profitable doesn't always have to do with money (directly at least).

Nairage.png

Ummm no that is not what I am saying... I am saying I'de rather train skills that are worthwhile in my view rather than those that arn't...

Ok don't train slayer its not worthwhile

You are awfully defensive man... I am not insulting people who train slayer and firemaking, I am just saying that it is not worthwhile to train them in my opinion. Note the IMO- that doesn't mean it is a waste of time for others. Different people like different things. Then dont train them

You must have not gotten the meaning of my post. I was trying to offer a guess at the reason people train slayer despite all its downpoints. The point I was trying to make was that much like firemaking, people train it as it is just another skill. Nobody uses firemaking really, they just like to showboat with their cape. Slayer is just another skill really, and besides the drops has no real purpose currently. Thats the whole point of this thread

If I may name some skills that are good that you forgot to mention: prayer, construction, fletching, hunter, mining, smithing, fishing/cooking, and summoning. And a handful of other OK ones. I forgot prayer, and summoning but all the other ones have no reason to train

Also, in case you didn't know, profitable doesn't always have to do with money (directly at least). Unless your training runecrafting with double nats, you are always losing money. If you make 700k/h you are losing 250k/h in reality.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

What was the purpose of you replying to me then? At the end, you just came back and basically said "fine, do whatever you want". If you are going to start picking fights with others, be sure to have a reason to do so. Otherwise you make yourself look like an idiot.

Nairage.png

We take this part of your post. You say that you train slayer because its a skill. I take that as you want total levels. Nothing is wrong with that and some people are like that. I say that slayer is one of the slowest skills to train and firemaking is much faster if you want total levels. The fun factor is not a factor. I guarantee you getting 99 FM and then making money will make you more money then 99 slayer.

Slayer is not worthwhile that is the point of this thread.

You are awfully defensive man... I am not insulting people who train slayer and firemaking, I am just saying that it is not worthwhile to train them in my opinion. Note the IMO- that doesn't mean it is a waste of time for others. Different people like different things.

See above.

You must have not gotten the meaning of my post. I was trying to offer a guess at the reason people train slayer despite all its downpoints. The point I was trying to make was that much like firemaking, people train it as it is just another skill. Nobody uses firemaking really, they just like to showboat with their cape. Slayer is just another skill really, and besides the drops has no real purpose currently. You said that you don't agree with this thread. Just like any skill people train it for fun/because they think OMG WHIPZ AT 85 SLAYERZ PHR33 1.5 MILLZ DOOD

If I may name some skills that are good that you forgot to mention: prayer, construction, fletching, hunter, mining, smithing, fishing/cooking, and summoning. And a handful of other OK ones.

Also, in case you didn't know, profitable doesn't always have to do with money (directly at least).

I said, do whatever you want because this is a game not a dictatorship. Do whats fun or efficient. Fun is better but fun is not a factor.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Learn to read. I said I didn't support slayer. I don't support total levels. I was playing the devil's advocate, if you will.

Fun is better but fun is not a factor.

I do not understand what you are saying here. How can fun not be a factor and be better? Maybe you should reword that.

I also ask you not to disrespect anyone who trains slayer regularly. It is being hypocritical that you say others can do whatever they want, yet you criticize them for reaching a level where they can make a profit.

EDIT: This thread is in the wrong section. It should be a debate, not a rant. Why rant at other player's naivety or so you believe?

Nairage.png

Learn to read. I said I didn't support slayer. I don't support total levels. I was playing the devil's advocate, if you will.

Tell me when in a rant that saying "(I don't support, and sorry if this is already been said)" means you support the rant? I have no clue what you meant, only to see you say slayer is fun in the rest of the paragraph. You also acknowledged that slayer was bad xp/money and you said that people train it because it was a skill, so it made me think you support a high total level. It is hard to get what your saying.

Fun is better but fun is not a factor.

I do not understand what you are saying here. How can fun not be a factor and be better? Maybe you should reword that.

Fun varies from person to person. Have fun when you play, but we cannot assume everyone likes to slay

I also ask you not to disrespect anyone who trains slayer regularly. It is being hypocritical that you say others can do whatever they want, yet you criticize them for reaching a level where they can make a profit.

I critcize the people that think slayer is the best and it is like the best money, and try to get everyone to train slayer. Everyone who is biased to slayer.

EDIT: This thread is in the wrong section. It should be a debate, not a rant. Why rant at other player's naivety or so you believe?

Really, if you think this thread could of stayed in the rants forum for 60+ pages, get the most posts ever for the rants forum, and then be de-railed and placed in debate club? This is no debate. There is thousands of hours of proof. Where is this a debate?

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

I'm baaaack.

Again, read what pureprayer said. This isn't a debate, it's settled, over, and done with. Though I still get the lurking feeling that ydraisel is out somewhere slaying, collecting all the numbers he can, preparing for another assault on my XP rates. But I will never give up the fight, even if I have to get 99 slayer, unless it is CONCLUSIVELY proven worse. And I hope that it is, as I love the skill. And getting 3 demon heads + several dozen whips at 84 is a rather cool distinction 8-)

DeviledEgg24.png

I'm just wondering- why rant that slayer sucks? The only reason that I see is that one might have gotten frustrated that they got a bunch of crappy slayer tasks, etc. This does not pertain to you, because you propose a convincing argument against slayer. For the most part, arguments are debates unless both sides are exchanging nonsense.

You say that this is settled, over, and done with. Well first of all, to settle something it has to be a debate/ issue first. Second of all, if that rant is done with, why is the thread still up? And I don't see how a rant of this nature could ever be done with- maybe rants on nerfed items could be fixed, but jagex has not significantly changed slayer.

When I first read this thread, I felt like to give an opinion that either backs up what you said or opposes it. Well, it sure fells like a debate to me.

Let's not get off on the wrong foot comp. Sometimes I come off as pugnacious- but all I really an doing is trying to prove a point.

Nairage.png

I'm just wondering- why rant that slayer sucks?

Bad xp/money

The only reason that I see is that one might have gotten frustrated that they got a bunch of crappy slayer tasks, etc. This does not pertain to you, because you propose a convincing argument against slayer. For the most part, arguments are debates unless both sides are exchanging nonsense.

No one has beat him in 64 pages

You say that this is settled, over, and done with. Well first of all, to settle something it has to be a debate/ issue first.

Issue is bad xp

Second of all, if that rant is done with, why is the thread still up?

No, the xp rates are done with. The facts are here, and slayer is bad xp/money. Its a rant to get it changed or to stop people getting slayer biased.

When I first read this thread, I felt like to give an opinion that either backs up what you said or opposes it. Well, it sure fells like a debate to me.

This could be slayer vs. armored zombies, but after lots of testing it is a fact.

Let's not get off on the wrong foot comp. Sometimes I come off as pugnacious- but all I really an doing is trying to prove a point.

PS: Your signature link is broken. I don't think you can link stats.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Yea, I'll fix the sig thing in a second, thanks.

All I really have to say is that normally people don't rant about something being ineffective. I have no idea how to word this- rants arn't usually factual and convincing in nature.

Maybe I am not getting the point of this thread- is he ranting that Jagex made slayer a bad skill? That would make sense.

Nairage.png

Yea, I'll fix the sig thing in a second, thanks.

All I really have to say is that normally people don't rant about something being ineffective. I have no idea how to word this- rants arn't usually factual and convincing in nature.

Maybe I am not getting the point of this thread- is he ranting that Jagex made slayer a bad skill? That would make sense.

Why does the fact that people don't normally rant about something being ineffective an issue? He can rant about whatever he wants. I can rant about the whip's spec being ineffective if I want to. And why can't a rant be factual and convincing in nature? It certainly is better than the alternative where people who can't think through an argument complain about something that they wouldn't be complaining about if they knew all the facts and the following implications (i.e. kids who rant about the wildy being taken out. No one with the knowledge that keeping it would have ended runescape complains about it going.). He is ranting about slayer being inefficient in terms of gaining exp/hr and gaining gp/hr. And he proved in the last 60 some pages that the only reason to train it is if you are going to max out every single skill or if you want to get the quest cape/achievement diaries finished. The reason being armoured zombies provide almost double the exp/hr on average and more gp/hr to boot. Sure you might make 200 mill maxing slayer out (although i secretly doubt that that actually happens) . But if you would have spent the time to get 99 slayer on armoured zombies you would have made way more money.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

I'm just wondering- why rant that slayer sucks? The only reason that I see is that one might have gotten frustrated that they got a bunch of crappy slayer tasks, etc. This does not pertain to you, because you propose a convincing argument against slayer. For the most part, arguments are debates unless both sides are exchanging nonsense.

I'm complaining that people seem to suffer from the delusion that slayer IS the best way to train combat.

You say that this is settled, over, and done with. Well first of all, to settle something it has to be a debate/ issue first. Second of all, if that rant is done with, why is the thread still up? And I don't see how a rant of this nature could ever be done with- maybe rants on nerfed items could be fixed, but jagex has not significantly changed slayer.

Of course it was an issue. I posted, some people disagreed, I proved them wrong. My point stand, I was simply verifying it. You seem to be confused as to what my point actually is.

I think you need to read my replies before trying to prove a point, as your point is invalid and does not apply.

Unfortunately, this has nothing whatsoever to do with what you 'think' or 'feel' or what your 'opinion' is. It's a fact-based proof, and no matter how much you may think it does, 2 + 2 does not equal 5.

Wait. So my rant is bad because it presents a real argument and is well written? Either I'm severely misinterpreting you or I'm about to launch in one of the most interesting debates I've ever had. Respond if this is indeed what you mean, and I'll prepare an argument, or correct what I said so I can argue against that. It's been a while since I've had a debate here :P

DeviledEgg24.png

No mate, all I am saying is that the content of this thread is similar in structure to a debating thread. Really, I am not condemning you for providing factual information that persuades the people who read this thread. In fact, I would prefer that all threads include as much information and thought put into them as yours. I am just merely saying that with so much information provided and debates occurring, this is more of a debate thread.

Not that it matters. I really don't care what forum it is in, phone, and the point I was trying to make isn't very significant at all. Again, I am not insulting your thread/ argument in any way, I was merely questioning if it was placed in the right forum.

Nairage.png