Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

Point being: It's time that determines your levels, not your vision or hope.

I'd seriously question that. Vision and hope is the second best motivator next to fear. Also, I don't see why time and hope can't go hand in hand. It took me a lot of time to get 99 Hunter, but I also needed hope or else I would've given up even if I had enough time to complete the goal. Plus I doubt it took 5 seconds for them to go to the moon or become a rock star. Being a rock star requires hours and hours of practice. Being an astronaut takes years of education/training.

PS: Are you back to playing again?

Not really. I log on a few times a month and get some Mining Xp since that's the only thing I really can do in F2P. I didn't completely quit though. I still plan on maxing out one day far into the future, but only once I have a stable life.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing maxing out in rs to becoming a rockstar irl is really a little extreme for me. Number one because if you get a guitar (or whatever your profession you are going for) you can practice and practice and eventually you will hit a wall where you can not physically or mentally improve anymore. It's called a plateau and it has baffled scientists for years as to why to people who invest the same amount of time into something have such drastic differences in the levels of improvement, with the one peaking far beyond what the other guy could ever hope to achieve. So its like comparing apples to computers to say that rs maxing is like being a rockstar. Not everyone can be a rockstar, even with insane amounts of time on their hands to practice. Everyone can max out in rs given insane amounts of time to play.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

Comparing maxing out in rs to becoming a rockstar irl is really a little extreme for me. Number one because if you get a guitar (or whatever your profession you are going for) you can practice and practice and eventually you will hit a wall where you can not physically or mentally improve anymore. It's called a plateau and it has baffled scientists for years as to why to people who invest the same amount of time into something have such drastic differences in the levels of improvement, with the one peaking far beyond what the other guy could ever hope to achieve. So its like comparing apples to computers to say that rs maxing is like being a rockstar. Not everyone can be a rockstar, even with insane amounts of time on their hands to practice. Everyone can max out in rs given insane amounts of time to play.

There is a plateau with patience too. If your not patient at all you will go crazy and not be able to max out.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

There is a plateau with patience too. If your not patient at all you will go crazy and not be able to max out.

Yes but given the time any amount of patience will work. If you are only patient enough to play for one hour a day it will take years to max out, if you do it before you die. The key variable is time put in total. Nothing with stop you from maxing out if you put in the time, regardless of if that time is put in in huge intervals like 7 hours a day, or small intervals.

So yes there is a plateau for patience but still when given enough time you will max out.

Trolling by giving good advice since April 2011.

The Blog - Currently Cleaning Herbs

Bladewing.png

two, eight, seven

Give me a break. These aren't unexplored things that no one else has done - it's a simple matter of investing time. The time to max out is unbelievable - interviews with top players like Zezima and N0valyfe reveal they play 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week, for years on end. A high level in WOW requires absolutely nothing besides time. Unfortunately, you don't level because of hope, vision, time, or glory. You level because you spent the 500 hours cutting logs into bows or crafting runes, doing the exact same thing hundreds of thousands of times.

Point being: It's time that determines your levels, not your vision or hope.

hey there compfreak, i have just read your post and that got me into finally making an account here(after using the site over 7 years) because I just had to respond.

as I have read your post on and on i couldn't help but to notice all the exp/hour rates you give me and you tell me that monkey's/spiders are better then slayer for combat:

well there's not much to be said about that..your right.. IF!you do not take into account a thing called fun.

i mean lets compare the 2 roads to max melee you gave us with each other ok?

1:zombie monkey's, just because im lazy ill say they give a 100kxp an hour, and lets say you start it with all your stats at exactly 1m exp, that would mean you need like 36M exp which equals 360 hour's

2:slayer, taking it by your 50k/h rate we can say a person needs 720 hour's to get all there stats to 99

hmm by looking at purely these fact's which i THINK* you do, it is a big mystery why slayer would exist in the first place as your right that it looks like a waste of time... however let's take my little detail called fun into the argument, fun...

fun... hmm odd word but that's why everyone plays a game right? anyway here goes:

1:zombie monkey's, as calculated (somewhat) before a person requires 360 hours of non stop grinding down those monkey which in my eyes/experience equals a fun rating of about 4/10 at first(because the fast exp gives a good feeling) and rapidly goes down to 2/10 (nothing can beat rc at being sucky otherwise 1/10) however there is 1 plus: you can partially afk it which seems to make it bearable by the looks of it.

2:slayer, also by looking above we can see that getting your skills max with slayer requires a whopping 720 hour's (OUCH!)

however lets have a fast look at the fun things of slayer:

-the drops, no not because they are that good but the fact that you CAN get a good drop with about any slayer assignment gives a great morale boost agree?

-variation, the reason why jagex made slayer in the first place was to give training those combat stats some variation from mindless grinding, well looking at the tasks you get using duradel(damn you lepalok>.>) it is clear that jagex succeeded with this, the variation is certainly there if you do not ignore it that is.

-social, well i don't think ill have to say a lot about it but im pretty sure you can have a better talk with someone paying attention with slayer then to someone semi-afk at monkey's,

-satisfaction, im not sure how it is with you but most people get a much greater satisfaction if they took a hard path rather then a easy one (example: someone that got cooking 99 in the old day's would be proud on it, someone that bought it now would just say ah another 99 in the bag and go on)

well im pretty sure i could go on with this but for me it looks like slayer is certainly more fun then grinding monkey's

anyway my question to you now:

What would a person rather do? spend 360 hours purely waiting with barely any fun?

or 720 hours of fun?(to a certain degree)

(last thingy: im asking this because you are saying slayer sucks in common and are trying to prove it,

now with the fun factor in it do you still think it purely sucks? or can you now understand people do it, even tough some might do it for the wrong reasons, no matter how you respond, please don't see this as a flame tough)

Fun factor was included in my post as the only reason to train it, BUT, my counter argument is:

Who are you to say what I find fun and don't? Slayer is running around in circles killing the same few monsters over and over, requiring lots of attention and getting inferior XP. Armored zombies is killing the same monster, but not having to pay much attention, allowing movie\tv watching, forum posting (ahem) etc. etc. I don't particularly like training, and I would rather do GWD or PVP. So why should I waste time with an inferior method, especially one that I don't particularly enjoy?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

dude... you ask for people to read your entire post and you do not do it yourself?

please quote where I am saying what you find fun and what not, I am pretty sure it's not there

anyway if you have read the entire thing you would have noticed I was talking about the common person, not just you or me

and like I said before I am sure a lot of people would rather train slayer then the monkey's, anyway if this proves a decent discussion ill be back later, some kind of bum just got here(my father) so i can't go as in depth as i would want, apologies

!EDIT dude with that i obviously mean that you did not read mine, Sorry for my bad English I suppose -.-

Not only would it be physically impossible for me to write my posts without reading then, there are dozens of pages covering this argument in the responses. Since you obviously haven't read even my first post, I'll do you a favor and quote it here, but please don't make stuipd statements like saying I didn't read my own posts -.-

'Slayer is funner' Fair enough, if you find it fun then that's that. However, read my section on 'slayer is fun'.

Slayer is 'fun' - I can't really argue against this one; everyone's idea of fun varies. I do zombie monkies during times I can't pay much attention or don't really feel like playing; when I 'play' runescape, I do whatever I find fun, usually PVP games like CW\Fight Pits, or else get some real training done with chinchompas and whatnot. If, for you, the funnest thing in the game is killing various monsters, you could just as well train at monkies during downtime, and kill random monsters not on task when 'playing'. You'd still end up ahead of just slayer, although if you want to train the best would be to kill monkies steadily. Like I said, opinions of 'fun' vary.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

In truth, almost anyone coming over to debate on this thread arguying against Compfreak have used the fun factor argument and I am one of them. I guess somewhere in our subconcious mind, there is a nagging voice repeating the thread title over and over suggesting the main subject is about an opinion of the skill rather than a evaluation of the skill based on facts (xp rates and money rates).

Some players do not like the repetitive gameplay of slayer, while others can

If you are looking to max out total levels or at leasts get a balanced character, keeping clear of slayer is probably a very bad idea.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

If you are looking to max out total levels or at leasts get a balanced character, keeping clear of slayer is probably a very bad idea.

Define balanced character ;)

Most people (Like *ahem* you) have far higher combats then skills, including slayer. So very few people are balanced, and those who aren't generally aren't because of slayer\combat, not in spite of :P

That being said, the maxing out argument still applies. If you play for 8 hours a day for years on end, your going to be better off slaying in the long run when you max out :?

DeviledEgg24.png

Define balanced character

Well this will probably be a very personnal opinion, but a balanced character will have no more than 10 levels higher or lower than his median level. That will leave out a lot of players (and doesn't take into account xp gained after level 99). People with a skill cape for the sake of it are definitely not balanced, pkers and pures are not built for that either. I agree there are not a lot of players that are balanced from my definition.

Meh it's all academic, you know by now I'm just arguying for the fun of it and keeping this thread the most viewed and debated on the rants board! :thumbsup:

Still, pretty interesting discussion going on here.

Edit : just check how "balanced" my character was:

median skill is 94 fish, farming and wcutting... meaning 84 as my lowest level would make me balanced : fail

averages skill is 87 : would need 77 as my lowest skill to make me balanced...

A couple more years of tears and circus should do the trick!

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

No worries, I debate for the fun of it too, as evidenced by this thread :lol:

Just saying, there's very few 'balanced' players that would need to train slayer higher then 70-80, so it doesn't really make a good argument :P

DeviledEgg24.png

No worries, I debate for the fun of it too, as evidenced by this thread :lol:

Just saying, there's very few 'balanced' players that would need to train slayer higher then 70-80, so it doesn't really make a good argument :P

Not really, slayer is something that inherently goes hand in hand with combat; particularly melee. It benefits those who start it right from the 'get-go', and does little for other folks. For instance, I have friends, who have been here for years, since the 'classic-days', some of them who play actively to this day and have very low slayer levels; in the 70's because it is pointless to them. On the other hand, I have a few friends who started in 2005, or sometime around after RS2 that are nearly maxed out in all skills and have trained most of their combat from slayer. I know someone who trained 100% of her combat from slayer and she is maxed out at this point. While it is true that training them separately may be faster, but like many highscore leaders have attested; you waste more time hopping around from one skill to another rather than just sticking to one and going all the way. It is much 'easier' and 'comfortable' for most people to do slayer instead of training combat separately, what you are proposing is a division between slayer and combat, where as others treat those 2 things as 1.

If you start Slayer from when your combat is low or atleast medium level, you can easily get your slayer level somewhere in the 90's. In some ways, Slayer just is more convenient rather than doing all those things separately. And for some people, it is 'faster' than doing things separately. For instance, if you start slayer; you can train all of your melee skills, with some little room for ranging(Bloodvelds and other tasks), some *minor* room for magic(Metal Dragons), you are also training summoning, you could potentially save up dragon bones for a little bit of prayer, a lot monsters drop some pure essense; which is a start for RC, you can also gather a lot herbs and do farming in between. It is far easier and in some ways faster to do ALL of these things at once rather than trying to figure out how to 10 different things separately. It in undeniable that if you are at the medium level or low level stage in Runescape, slayer is a GREAT start. With the high end of things though, by that point you already know how everything works so it is a bit more easier using your method of separation. You are trying to make it more of an 'objective' approach when in reality it really is a 'personal choice'.

That's just not true. What benefits does slayer provide 'from the get go'? I really can't think of any. You aren't 'hopping around' with regular combat training; and as stated earlier, there just aint many of us who have the time to max out.

DeviledEgg24.png

That's just not true. What benefits does slayer provide 'from the get go'? I really can't think of any. You aren't 'hopping around' with regular combat training; and as stated earlier, there just aint many of us who have the time to max out.

The benefits as stated above are; ALL of those things at once. That would particularly be advantageous to people who don't have enough time. As for 'hopping' around, I am not just talking about melee, I am talking about making money, summoning, slayer, and combat. From what you propose, it would be more advantageous to do 'avansies', then 'burst rock lobs', red chinchompas at ape atolle, then train slayer to achieve all those things because it would be somewhat faster, which simply isn't true. For a lot of people, doing all of them at once would better and in some ways faster.

Making money: GWD requires hopping around anyway, it's not like you can camp at bandos and make a few hundred million

Summoning: Again, you can't just camp at rock lobsters from 1-99 summoning.

We're talking about a few switches on the way to 99, not a few every hour. Your switching a heck of a lot more then that running around between slayer monsters.

That being said, all the times factor in banking time. So your point is wrong.

DeviledEgg24.png

Making money: GWD requires hopping around anyway, it's not like you can camp at bandos and make a few hundred million

Summoning: Again, you can't just camp at rock lobsters from 1-99 summoning.

We're talking about a few switches on the way to 99, not a few every hour. Your switching a heck of a lot more then that running around between slayer monsters.

That being said, all the times factor in banking time. So your point is wrong.

I don't see why you are bringing up these things? You stated that people would be better of doing slayer separately and then making money separately through avansies and then training summoning separately assuming they make a certain amount of income because apparently that would make Rock Lobs beneficial. I am disputing this point. I don't know how what you posted above is relevant. As for slayer, most slayer masters have what; some 20 odd tasks or so? Most of the time it is repeat tasks anyways, this would be evident if you tried to see how long it takes for one peculiar master to give you all of tasks once atleast; that would be a long time. So once you 'get into' slayer, it is quite easy to get tasks done efficiently.

You can't camp Rock Lobs from the start but you are suggesting that somewhere down the line you are better of just bursting those and doing slayer separately. What I am trying to get at is, if you do slayer, even to get your melee combats to a particular point, it will be beneficial to you in many ways because you are doing all of those things at once. For instance, when you train slayer; you are getting charms, you are getting money(not the best money maker or a great one but a moderately decent amount), you are training melee, you are training range and mage to an extent, you are getting some very potentially useful drops that will open doors to other skills. If you are someone who is a medium level player, that is far better than transitioning between 10-20 different things.

I remember seeing a list of how long it took to get to each Slayer spot. The highest was like 6 minutes and most were 2 minutes. This isn't that much when you compare it to skills where you have to gather secondaries or have to bank a lot. There is wasted time in almost all of the skills. I see no reason to single Slayer out when it comes to this.

I remember seeing a list of how long it took to get to each Slayer spot. The highest was like 6 minutes and most were 2 minutes. This isn't that much when you compare it to skills where you have to gather secondaries or have to bank a lot. There is wasted time in almost all of the skills. I see no reason to single Slayer out when it comes to this.

I agree. I'm not, but he is.

I don't see why you are bringing up these things? You stated that people would be better of doing slayer separately and then making money separately through avansies and then training summoning separately assuming they make a certain amount of income because apparently that would make Rock Lobs beneficial. I am disputing this point. I don't know how what you posted above is relevant. As for slayer, most slayer masters have what; some 20 odd tasks or so? Most of the time it is repeat tasks anyways, this would be evident if you tried to see how long it takes for one peculiar master to give you all of tasks once atleast; that would be a long time. So once you 'get into' slayer, it is quite easy to get tasks done efficiently.

You can't camp Rock Lobs from the start but you are suggesting that somewhere down the line you are better of just bursting those and doing slayer separately. What I am trying to get at is, if you do slayer, even to get your melee combats to a particular point, it will be beneficial to you in many ways because you are doing all of those things at once. For instance, when you train slayer; you are getting charms, you are getting money(not the best money maker or a great one but a moderately decent amount), you are training melee, you are training range and mage to an extent, you are getting some very potentially useful drops that will open doors to other skills. If you are someone who is a medium level player, that is far better than transitioning between 10-20 different things.

You don't understand. All those 'transition times' are ALREADY factored in to my calculations. Take a closer look.

DeviledEgg24.png

You sir, make me laugh enormously hard.

85 To 99 slayer got me way over 100m PROFIT, so it is good money seeing the time goes by fast when slaying.

Another thing, I get ~100k combat exp/hour with slayer, without Piety that is. Please get your facts straight before judging.

85 To 99 slayer got me way over 100m PROFIT, so it is good money seeing the time goes by fast when slaying.

Time goes by fast at GWD too. GWD got me way over 800m PROFIT, so it is good money seeing the times goes by fast.

Another thing, I get ~100k combat exp/hour with slayer, without Piety that is. Please get your facts straight before judging.

Yeah, and I'll bet you used the magical fairy godsword too. Sorry, but individualized testing results make me slightly more confident then a random number you pulled out of your behind.

DeviledEgg24.png

Time goes by fast at GWD too. GWD got me way over 800m PROFIT, so it is good money seeing the times goes by fast.

Yeah, and I'll bet you used the magical fairy godsword too. Sorry, but individualized testing results make me slightly more confident then a random number you pulled out of your behind.

You actually made me throw up a little when you attempted to prove yourself right.

I can obtain 110k exp/hour with a goddamn whip at the nechryaels. FYI; A whip is much more efficient at training attack and defence than a godsword would be. In fact, it's more efficient on the whole if you use controlled.

FACT. I obtained 22 Abyssal Whips, 70 Dragon Boots, 18 Dark Bows and uncountable dragon/rune armour drops simply through slaying. I would estimate the total profit I obtained during my journey to be around the 60-70M mark. Funnily enough, the majority of the time I was using my whip on controlled except where it would be benificial to use another weapon (For example, a Leaf-Bladed sword on metal dragons and a Crush weapon for waterfiends/Gargoyles.) yet I could still manage a flat 25-30k in each melee stat dependant upon how much attention I was paying. That would be 75-90k in a single stat (I just thought I'd do the math for you because it seems that you are extremely dim-witted) AS WELL as the majority of tasks obtaining me 200k+ profit EACH. Don't forgot the added benefit of gaining 20-28k slayer exp/hour as well! Not to mention the insane amount of charms you can collect. An average task of Nechryael would net me 80 Crimsons and I can finish a task within an hour.

I blocked the tasks I don't like and it takes me 20 seconds to get a new task (If you're not a noob, you can obtain the Karamja Gloves 3 to teleport directly to shilo village from your task). You could also use Lunar Magic to get a task almost instantly or simply teleport with a ring of slaying to the pollnivneach well and walk to summona. For crying out loud, it only takes 30 seconds to Glory-teleport to Edgeville and use the fairy ring there to leg it to Chaelder. With my house portal (Any good slayer needs one of these, or otherwise a ring of slaying) I can get to ANY slayer task bar Skeletal Wyverns within another 30 seconds.

If you really are as stuck at slayer as it seems you are, maybe you should ask for guidance instead of shunning one of the most enjoyable skills in the game.

Besides, it's healthy to take a 15 minutes break every hour when you play computer games. I guess if you want to, you can consider that 1-2 minutes it takes to switch tasks every 1-2 hours your break.

A single super set can last you upto 45 minutes. That would be a MERE 5k every 45 minutes and speeds up tasks significantly.

Oh, and maybe you've never heard of the Black Mask or Slayer Helmet?

infx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gifinfx9z.gif

EDIT; Take a look at the Slayer Records too. I managed to get 650k Slayer Exp in a single day WITHOUT the use of Lamps/Soul Wars Zeal or Slayer Points at a Master. Fact.

You actually made me throw up a little when you attempted to prove yourself right.

I can obtain 110k exp/hour with a goddamn whip at the nechryaels. FYI; A whip is much more efficient at training attack and defence than a godsword would be. In fact, it's more efficient on the whole if you use controlled.

That's nice to know. Good thing I already said I used a wihp on controlled, no?

Now your 110k an hour would be very interesting if slayer consisted of killing necheryaels 24\7. Since you seem to be so confident in your numbers, I'll do you a favor and prove you wrong.

OK, before I start the argument, I'm going to need 3 things:

#1, a complete listing of your XP rates obtained on each task

#2, a complete listing of your drops, profit rates, and expenses for each task, with and without rare drops factored in, as well as your personal rare drop rates

#3, a complete listing of banking times used for each task

#4, details on inventorys and equipment used for each task, along with an itemized list of prayers, potions, and summons used.

If your interested in some examples, take a look at a few of mine. They can be found around page 15. You might have to root through a couple ppages for the itemized listing, it spans over several.

Once I have your numbers, I'll compare them to mine and start debating over the differences. That way we can identify the exact source of the discrepancies and begin comparing rates and timings with additional testing.

yet I could still manage a flat 25-30k in each melee stat dependant upon how much attention I was paying. That would be 75-90k in a single stat (I just thought I'd do the math for you because it seems that you are extremely dim-witted)

No worries, as previous arguments have shown I am indeed capable of doing basic multiplication. Scoring an IQ of 143 would have been rather difficult if such advanced mathmatics was beyond my comprehension.

A single super set can last you upto 45 minutes. That would be a MERE 5k every 45 minutes and speeds up tasks significantly.

Oh, and maybe you've never heard of the Black Mask or Slayer Helmet?

Oh, you mean those things that rich noobs with too much money waste their GP on?

Yes, that was sarcasm. I'll enjoy hearing your exact numbers.

DeviledEgg24.png

[bleep] my exp rates. My rates are tame compared to this legends.

Besides, I can't post my rates, reformatted last weekend (I have an order form for a new motherboard in case you think I'm [cabbage]ting you). But I can say Nechryaels were 110k, Abyssal demons 80k, Gargoyles 100+k, Bloodveld were an amazing 60k slayer/exp per hour.

Have fun attempting to go against Zarfot. 98-99-51-57359284

Also, have a look at my task pictures while I was still obtaining charms for 99 Summoning.

18/03/09 [931k]

~170 Gargoyles

66 Iron dragon(task 525)

70 Black Dragons

173 Gargoyles

143 Dark Beast

183 Nechryael

19/03/09 [615k]

180 Hellhounds (task 530)

6 mithril dragons

154 Waterfiend

140 dagannoths

143 Nechryael

164 Abyssal demon(task 535)

148 Dagannoth <-- sorry about this picture....forgot to use my price checker and edit it.

20/03/09 [1300k]

142 dagannoth

7 mithril dragons

63 skeletal wyverns

193 waterfiends (task540)

45 skeletal wyverns

53 Gorak

78 (baby) black dragons

197 Abyssal Demons

146 Fire Giants(task545)

173 Spiritual Mages

Here's a suggestion: Read the replys before posting on this thread, just like it says in my first post. Zarfot already posted on this thread, and after almost 2,000 pages of debate everything was settled and my rates were proved correct due to numerous variables in his, including banking time and summon methods used.

Oh, so now your going to make up crap about losing your rates? Well, let me know when you re test then and your welcome to come back and argue them. Until then, I'm afraid my, Qeltar's, Zarfot's, ydraisel, Inushkant, and langerkiller's rates trump your non-existent ones.

I have no idea what your trying to prove by saying your ordering a new motherboard, that has precisely zero to do with reformatting and backing up. Don't try to make stuff up, I've been a computer consultant for almost 2 decades :roll:

DeviledEgg24.png