Slayer Sucks

compfreak847

If piety has been proven to be not worth using, then why is it that *all* of my numbers seem to be good? You would think that if it was actually bad my profits would tank horribly. But they don't. You saying that it has been proven to be not worth it is a complete and utter lie. As for cannoning, I don't do that at all. The slayer xp boost is not worth the huge cash drain and relative lack of other experience. As for attention, *all* charm collection methods that have a good speed require a considerable amount of attention. Moreso than fighting dark beasts or abyssal demons with piety. All high speed cash making activities such as runecrafting also take a large amount of attention. As these are also a part of the equation, I don't think you saying that your training requires little attention is completely fair.

Reviewing the numbers.

92k experience, 24k xp worth of charms, and 134k coins each hour.

Looking at other ways of collecting charms-

Bursting rock lobsters. 150 crimsons/hour, -700k coins per hour, 110k mage xp

Pietying waterfiends. 110 crimsons/hour, ~0 change in money. The drops cover the pots and little else. 70k combat xp/hour.

Barraging rock lobsters. 170 crimsons/hour -1000k/hour

Looking at these, it's obvious to see that pietying waterfiends is best. It would take an additional 21 minutes of killing them to match the 150 crimsons received bursting. So, spending 21 minutes to save 700k. Roughly 2m an hour in savings as compared to bursting, but you give up 110k magic experience for 90k combat experience as well. The same is true for barraging, with slightly different numbers. Pietying waterfiends is still best.

With crimsons being ~ 400 experience each on average, assuming 1-99, this means that waterfiends are 44k summoning xp worth of charms.

So, the 24k xp worth of charms that slayer generates costs 37k potential combat experience, but saves 33 minutes. The 37k potential combat experience, calculated out with armoured zombies, is worth 20 minutes. (110k xp/h). In total, the charms dropped on slayer tasks are worth 14 minutes per hour as a fraction of the total as compared to the next best methods.

92k is 84% of 110k, so 50 minutes of armoured zombies gives the same experience as

1 hour of slaying.

adding the 14 minutes per hour from charms to the 50 minutes worth for the experience yields 64 minutes/hour just accounting for the combat experience and the charms alone. Adding in the cash factor, 134k an hour, taking 950k gp/hour (double natures) as the cash standard, it's worth 8 minutes of an hour doing the best cash method.

Adding that in as well, slayer gives 72 minutes/hour worth of next best activities. Throwing in the slayer experience and the fun of doing the skill, and you have yourself a highly efficient skill. Your analysis is flawed.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple calculations; numbers don't lie. Take a look a few hundred pages back for the specifics, piety was debated for several hundred pages before it was conclusively proven to be not worth it under the given earning and XP rate parameters.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

See 2 posts up. Edited. As I also said, you are already completely convinced that slayer is not worth it.

You are already convinced slayer is worth it.

Tell me how you get 92k xp/h when no one even got close to that in 54 pages? If anything it should be faster at lower levels. How do you profit greatly with piety when many others profit from outside sources to be able to piety slay? 92k/h is A LOT with a cannon.

Post a spreadsheet of all your rates in PNG form. Include profits, losses, and xp.

Here is what he have now:

SlayerTable.png

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

I use slayer to train my combat even though its not the best way. Although it doesn't yield high combat exp it does get your slayer up and offers a variety, even a chance for abyssal whips or D boots. It's just a way for you to get another skill up while you're doing combat and I enjoy it.

And btw "Seriously, read it. I know at least 90% of the posters won't, though"

<3:

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

It's quite funny to see people rant about this stuff. "wha wha wha slayer sucks i get 50k xp whatever and now I cry irl because of that". Ever heard of actually having fun instead of sacrificing it for more xp? Slayer gives you a big variety of monsters and I really really like slayer because of that, what I don't like is people like you afking and getting 99. I hope you burn. :x

PLAY ON! :)

Wexexx.png

Wexexx.png

It's quite funny to see people rant about this stuff. "wha wha wha slayer sucks i get 50k xp whatever and now I cry irl because of that". Ever heard of actually having fun instead of sacrificing it for more xp? Slayer gives you a big variety of monsters and I really really like slayer because of that, what I don't like is people like you afking and getting 99. I hope you burn. :x

Err, what? I agreed with everything you said, and as I've said many times, I love the skill. Your either addressing someone else or completely failed to read the thread...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Err, what? I agreed with everything you said, and as I've said many times, I love the skill. Your either addressing someone else or completely failed to read the thread...

I did not fail to read, I just said that he complains that slayer, which is one of the best skills ingame(oh the slow xp), fails to compare to something that needs prayer potions and a very tight setup for it to work. He complains that he can't slay and earn 110k xp/h or whatever. Well guess what, he shouldn't be able to get 110k/h when he's training 2+ skills at the same time, THAT if anything would be boring. What I meant by AFKing a 99 is that he just afk at armoured zombies getting 99 in the skills. Also, I was adressing the player on the first page that said you could easily get 110k/h+ at armoured zombies. Not sure if that was you or not though.

Wexexx.png

Wexexx.png

I did not fail to read, I just said that he complains that slayer, which is one of the best skills ingame(oh the slow xp), fails to compare to something that needs prayer potions and a very tight setup for it to work. He complains that he can't slay and earn 110k xp/h or whatever. Well guess what, he shouldn't be able to get 110k/h when he's training 2+ skills at the same time, THAT if anything would be boring. What I meant by AFKing a 99 is that he just afk at armoured zombies getting 99 in the skills. Also, I was adressing the player on the first page that said you could easily get 110k/h+ at armoured zombies. Not sure if that was you or not though.

Err... I'm the topic creator, and slayer is one of, if not my FAVORITE skill. I was just addressing the misconception that it was good XP; in no way whatsoever does that detract from the skill.

DeviledEgg24.png

Fun is always debatable, as compfreak said, some people don't like running around getting 10 iron dragon tasks in a row.

Personally, if i was in a high level slayers position, i would kill something else for more profit AND xp, and then use the cash to pk =D.

O.O

Fun is always debatable, as compfreak said, some people don't like running around getting 10 iron dragon tasks in a row.

Personally, if i was in a high level slayers position, i would kill something else for more profit AND xp, and then use the cash to pk =D.

But then you wouldn't be a high level slayer.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I think he meant like 130 cmb and the option to train slayer.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

I think he meant like 130 cmb and the option to train slayer.

Well, as I've said many times, that really depends on what you value. If you want to max combat THEN train Slayer, you'll have wasted a lot of time if you care about total levels. If you place a lot of value on experience over 99, it wont really matter.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I agree with you in saying that slayer is a highly frustrating skill, and often has losses (not only in currency, but in time wasted, and the like). I also agree with you in saying that slayer is a great skill, for the reason that people thrive after a good drop, or rare task, or to be able to finally slay an abyssal demon! Personaly, its the thrill of slayer im after. Afterall, theres not allot of things that beat finally getting that dragon chain drop, or getting a dragonfull helm from the task many people hate :)

Great thread, it helps see slayer from other peoples points of view :)

Sloooowwww newwwsss dayyyy!!!

It's hard to get exact numbers. The boost from the combat familiar is small enough that accurate numbers (+- .1k XP per hour) are very, very difficult to obtain. To put it into perspective, missing one whip hit at any time in the hour will throw off the results. Added to the difficulty is the fact that a slayer helm must be used for comparison - it'll take 10+ gargoyle tasks to get perfect numbers. It's easier to show that the distance and timing prevent it.

Oh, and you haven't gone off topic. This is what me and ydrasil did with the other numbers, only we argued over every monster at once with every post. Once Gargoyles is finished and we get a hard XP number out of it in a few pages, I'll move on to black demons and so on until in 20 or 30 pages I indisputably prove that summons only give 2-3k extra XP \'

Id agree with 2-3k extra slayer xp per hour. If I do black demons in CT, which i dont, I can get about 12k range xp using a geyser titan. I dont click the button everytime to make it attack right away, but black demons are probably one of the best tasks to use a famaliar at because of their high hp and relatively low defence.

envysfavouritemember.png

I don't have a spreadsheet on every task. I just kept track of my logged in hours between 98 and 99 slayer. Those were the results that I got. I rounded down at each step to dissuade naysayers, but you're still not believing it. I do not cannon any tasks at all. The lack of relative experience versus the cash drained has no value other than to increase range experience marginally and slayer experience. If you do not value the slayer experience, a cannon is a huge waste. This skews your numbers. Subtracting the cannon at bloodvelds and replacing the lighthouse dagannoths with chaos tunnel ones, and adding in a steel titan, I get around 140-150k combat experience an hour. Hitpoints not included. This raises my average that much.

Well, as I've said many times, that really depends on what you value. If you want to max combat THEN train Slayer, you'll have wasted a lot of time if you care about total levels. If you place a lot of value on experience over 99, it wont really matter.

This is exactly the way I feel about slayer. It depends a lot on the player's point of view. The core of the debate is that there are faster way to train combat, which is true, but what those faster ways lack is slayer experience. From this, the choice will depend on what the player values more.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I recently came back to RS after an extended break and have really come to love Slayer, a skill that I previously despised. I'm on about my ~170th consecutive task and I hope I can lend some insight on the topic.

The hardest thing about debating on runescape is the fact that (it seems like) everyone has a different goal in the game. Whether it's increasing total level, combat level, making money, playing minigames/PKing, etc. I think the first thing you have to define when you make a post like "Slayer sucks" is the context in which you are evaluating it.

My primary point in this post is the following: Most (all? i hope) people do what is fun for them in the game. If training slayer or getting total levels is not fun to you I don't suggest that you train slayer. However, maybe if I go over your post I can help change your mind. I apologize if I repeat topics that have already been mentioned in the thread as I am not about to go over 55 pages of text.

Some observations:

-Iron and steel dragons should be the first tasks you BLOCK (100pts).

-Mithril dragons are a pretty fast and easy task if you have decent stats and a black mask/slayer helm. I would skip them if possible but if you're out of points this is not a bad task to get.

-The order in which you spend your point should be as follows: Blocks tasks > Slayer helm > Learn Slayer Ring > Buy runes, while skipping clearly bad tasks as necessary.

-Slayer isn't good money at any level, runecrafting is that way--->

-If slayer isn't fun and getting total levels isn't fun I would suggest leaving slayer at level 1.

-If you do slayer efficiently, the xp is a whole lot better than 50k an hour and probably not far behind grind methods of training combat in terms of overall xp gained per hour.

satan_panda.png

I recently came back to RS after an extended break and have really come to love Slayer, a skill that I previously despised. I'm on about my ~170th consecutive task and I hope I can lend some insight on the topic.

The hardest thing about debating on runescape is the fact that (it seems like) everyone has a different goal in the game. Whether it's increasing total level, combat level, making money, playing minigames/PKing, etc. I think the first thing you have to define when you make a post like "Slayer sucks" is the context in which you are evaluating it.

My primary point in this post is the following: Most (all? i hope) people do what is fun for them in the game. If training slayer or getting total levels is not fun to you I don't suggest that you train slayer. However, maybe if I go over your post I can help change your mind. I apologize if I repeat topics that have already been mentioned in the thread as I am not about to go over 55 pages of text.

Some observations:

-Iron and steel dragons should be the first tasks you BLOCK (100pts).

-Mithril dragons are a pretty fast and easy task if you have decent stats and a black mask/slayer helm. I would skip them if possible but if you're out of points this is not a bad task to get.

-The order in which you spend your point should be as follows: Blocks tasks > Slayer helm > Learn Slayer Ring > Buy runes, while skipping clearly bad tasks as necessary.

-Slayer isn't good money at any level, runecrafting is that way--->

-If slayer isn't fun and getting total levels isn't fun I would suggest leaving slayer at level 1.

-If you do slayer efficiently, the xp is a whole lot better than 50k an hour and probably not far behind grind methods of training combat in terms of overall xp gained per hour.

Uh... Actually its not that bad, as most things, Depends on your luck. You can actually get fairly good cash at 75+ slayer per task (200K+ each task)

Uh... Actually its not that bad, as most things, Depends on your luck. You can actually get fairly good cash at 75+ slayer per task (200K+ each task)

No you can't. After prayer pots, super sets, cannons etc., you generally end up with little to no profit at 75 slayer.

DeviledEgg24.png

No you can't. After prayer pots, super sets, cannons etc., you generally end up with little to no profit at 75 slayer.

You are assuming everyone uses prayer pots, piety and cannons. Sorry,but this cannot be taken as the norm strategy for all slayers. A few super attack and strengths a task is what i generally use. Costs of about 8k to 15k depending on the length of the task.

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

You are assuming everyone uses prayer pots, piety and cannons. Sorry,but this cannot be taken as the norm strategy for all slayers. A few super attack and strengths a task is what i generally use. Costs of about 8k to 15k depending on the length of the task.

Then your getting less efficient XP. You people have a hard time realizing that. Your training it in an inefficient manner, and you will end up with MUCH less money in the long run. My calculations represent the most efficient way to train it. Yes, you'll make the most money per task if you kick monsters with no food, armor or pots, but it's not efficient and you'll end up with less in the long run. Simple efficiency calculations :|

DeviledEgg24.png

Simple efficiency calculations :|

I wouldn't call them simple with that many different skills, xp rates and monsters involved. It's still a matter of efficiency though, I don't get how people don't get it :|

2dvjurb.png

I wouldn't call them simple with that many different skills, xp rates and monsters involved. It's still a matter of efficiency though, I don't get how people don't get it :|

It's literally divison, multiplication, and addition. Complex math is differential equations. This is stuff most people learn in grade school. It makes me wonder how old some people on here are :|

DeviledEgg24.png

Most players can do the math, what they sometimes lack is to vision to formulate the equation (determination of all the variables). It's not complex math, but it's also not that basic. I know I'm not playing at the most efficient level (no piety and str pray bonus...) but I choose to slay casually mostly, praying and calling the familiar requires too much attention for my taste.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563