October 15th 2008 - PVP Worlds + Game Log In Improvements

darkjab

PvP worlds have arrived! Are you ready to pit your combat skills against other players in the halls of the White Knights Castle? Are you prepared to fight to the death in the fields of Lumbridge? Well, now is your chance.

PvP worlds have arrived! Are you ready to pit your combat skills against other players in the halls of the White Knights Castle? Are you prepared to fight to the death in the fields of Lumbridge? Well, now is your chance.

To get started, load up the game like normal (click here to read about the changes to the log-in system we've also released today), and then choose 'World Select' on the title screen. Then pick a world which has a tick in the 'skull' column to choose a PvP world. To avoid nasty accidents, if you let the game choose a world for you automatically it will never select a PvP world. Also note that you require a Combat level of at least 20 (not including Summoning) to get into a PvP world.

Before you are logged in, you will be warned that you are entering a PvP world which is a dangerous place: you will lose your items on death and you will not get a gravestone. Upon entering the world for the first time, youll be teleported to Lumbridge and given a manual to explain the finer points of PvP worlds.

Heres a quick run-down of the features:

* Fight players (within your level range) anywhere on the map, except in a few safe areas.

* Safe areas include banks, respawn points and some guilds.

* Level ranges are 10% of your Combat level, plus 5 levels. If you are fighting inside the Wilderness, the Wilderness level is added to this total. Your current attack range is shown on your screen at all times. (The 10% is measured from the higher of the two combatants levels.)

* Skulling is back same rules apply. If you initiate combat, you are skulled and on death you will lose all items, with the Protect Item prayer saving one item as normal.

* Teleport Block is back in the normal spellbook.

* Some minigames are available to play, others are not please see the Game Guide for more details.

* Death drops are back new rules apply. Drops will be a mixture of items from the defeated opponents inventory and items from drop tables specific to PvP worlds. See below for details.

The quality of the drops you get when you PK someone depends on several different factors:

* To get a reward from a kill, you also have to risk some items yourself!

* To accumulate a possible reward, you have to risk a minimum of 75k of items on a members world, or a minimum of 25k of items on a free world.

* Note that your three most valuable items wont count as being risked unless youve been skulled, as you wouldnt lose them.

* The longer you spend on a PvP world (outside a safe area) with the required amount of items at risk, the better your possible rewards might become, to reward you for your risk.

* The possible reward increases even faster and goes to a higher maximum if you go into a hot zone.

* Note, however, that risking more than the minimum wont improve your rewards faster, so its a good idea to take relatively cheap and useful items that wont cost you too much to replace if you die.

When you get a successful kill, the exact reward you can claim depends on a number of other factors, including the level difference between you and the value of the items items lost by the dying player. Any unclaimed loot is saved for the next kills, so you don't have to worry about it being lost if you kill a low level player.

Don't despair if you are dying a lot and losing a lot of items. The game will detect this and improve your chance of getting decent rewards when you do eventually get a good kill.

The above is a simplified description of how it all works. To prevent cheating there are various other factors taken into account. We've calculated the rewards and rates very carefully, so that a successful PKer should be able to get a good income, and PKers who get lucky might find themselves with a good drop. Higher level players may also get higher rewards to reflect their increased earning ability when not PKing, such that PKing is still worthwhile for them. The aim is to make PKing a fun alternative (albeit very high risk) way of earning money in the game.

Included in the PvP-specific drop tables is a wide range of new combat equipment and XP-boosting gloves. Members will get access to level 78 items for all three corners of the combat triangle, including armour as well as weapons, and a new set of Ancient Magick spells. Non-members will get access to corrupt dragon equipment. To find out more about these items, please visit the Game Guide.

Have fun PKing!

Mod Benny

RuneScape Content Developer

In other news...

We've changed the way your Combat level is calculated, so that PKers aren't discouraged from levelling Summoning. It seemed a bit unfair that Summoning increased your Combat level everywhere but couldn't actually be used everywhere. Therefore, your Summoning is now only counted into your Combat level if you have recently summoned a creature or held a Summoning pouch. When you log in, you will see that your Combat level has been split into two numbers (e.g. '75+6'). The first number is your base Combat level, and the second is the potential extra available from Summoning. If you're holding a Summoning pouch or have a familiar, this potential will be added on taking you to your full level.

For example, if you are level 55, this might be shown as follows:

* Without a familiar, a Summoning pouch, or having dropped a pouch recently: level 50+5

* With a familiar, a Summoning pouch, or having dropped a pouch recently: level 55

Players in the same clan chat channel will now appear as purple dots on the minimap. This is the second highest priority after friends (green) and before other players wearing the same team capes (blue). Note: Being in the same clan won't remove the default attack option in the same fashion as a team cape!

Bogrog has expanded his enterprises even further and will now convert your spare Summoning spell scrolls to shards in a similar way to his already popular pouches to shards service.

The beacons scattered throughout the wilderness will now remember how many logs you've stored at each even after an emergency has arisen (quite literally).

The reward gloves from Fist of Guthix can now be used to pick nettles without injury. Also the Fishing gloves will now give the bonus experience for swordfish in Piscatoris.

Don't get your feathered headdresses all ruffled. You can now craft these useful bits of headwear using the Assist System in addition to the traditional way.

Today weve streamlined the way you get into the game. The aim is to help you get playing more quickly with less pages to go through every time.

Today weve streamlined the way you get into the game. The aim is to help you get playing more quickly with fewer pages to go through every time. To start the game, simply click one of the two new buttons on the front page (depending on whether youre a free player or a member). You will then be taken straight into the game. Once the game has loaded, you will be able to (optionally) choose both your world and detail level directly from the title screen.

More details on the changes made:

World selection has now been moved entirely in game, so there is one less page to go through to start the game and you can get playing faster.

Weve had a world switcher in-game for a while, but since it is now the main way of choosing your world, it was time for an upgrade. The in-game world switcher now shows lots of extra information, including suggested activities for various worlds.

This is the new-look log-in screen with World Select and Detail Select highlighted.

Automatic world selection. Just press 'Log in' on the title screen, and the game will automatically choose a suitable world for you. If you want to play on a specific world, just choose it from the world switcher first, and then press 'Log in'.

Favourite worlds. The in-game world switcher now lets you select up to 2 worlds as your favourites. For example, you could set one favourite as your non-PvP homeworld and one as your PvP battle world. Once you have set up your favourite worlds from the world switcher, you will see extra buttons for them directly on the title screen, you can then click on those buttons to go straight to your favourite world.

Members see less adverts. Because of the above changes, weve been able to remove adverts for members playing on free worlds we hope you enjoy the change!

The detail selection option has also been moved into the game. Again, this means there is one less page to go through to start the game, and gets you playing faster. This also means that you can now switch modes more easily without having to reload the game. The game will remember your last selection, so you no longer have to keep making the same choice over and over again.

The 'safe mode' feature is now automatic. If your game fails to load for any reason, it will detect the failure the next time you load it, and automatically activate safe mode. If you want to force safe mode, then you can still do so by pressing the 's' key on your keyboard while the game is loading. Safe mode has also now been adjusted to only make the minimum changes needed to get the title screen to load: if you want to change any other options you should do so yourself from the 'Graphics Options' menu on the title screen before logging in. Your choices will then be remembered for next time.

Unsigned mode is automatic. Weve removed the unsigned option from the Java options menu. Dont worry, you can still access the unsigned applet if you need to. Weve made the selection process for it automatic. If the game cannot load in signed mode (either because you didnt grant it permission, or your security settings do not allow you to grant it permission) it will fall back to the unsigned version, you dont need to do anything for this to happen.

Mod Chris E

Game Engine Developer

Dark_Jab.png

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha nice, I wake up with no updates, then try to log in, and it says Runescape has been updated. Funny thing is before I logged in I was reading about these people complaining about how "long" it was taking Jagex. Oh well, time to read about it then go to school :) :wall:

sig3bh7.png

I feel better now. ;)

We've changed the way your Combat level is calculated, so that PKers aren't discouraged from levelling Summoning. It seemed a bit unfair that Summoning increased your Combat level everywhere but couldn't actually be used everywhere. Therefore, your Summoning is now only counted into your Combat level if you have recently summoned a creature or held a Summoning pouch. When you log in, you will see that your Combat level has been split into two numbers (e.g. '75+6'). The first number is your base Combat level, and the second is the potential extra available from Summoning. If you're holding a Summoning pouch or have a familiar, this potential will be added on taking you to your full level.

For example, if you are level 55, this might be shown as follows:

Without a familiar, a Summoning pouch, or having dropped a pouch recently: level 50+5

With a familiar, a Summoning pouch, or having dropped a pouch recently: level 55

Summoning aint the end all of people with it..

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

Safe Zones

Within PvP worlds there are a number of 'safe zones'. These are areas where players are prevented from attacking each other entirely. You can identify these areas by spotting the icon to the left. Safe areas include:

* Banks

* The Grand Exchange

* Entrana

* Respawn points (note that the Falador and Camelot respawn points have moved to the nearest banks on PvP worlds)

* Skill Guilds with entry requirements (not including the Champions', Heroes', Legends' or Warriors' Guilds)

* The beach you wash up on if the Fishing Trawler sinks

Lol?

chat142744sx.png

32078824.png

gomu_pistol.png

Well, good fight PvP. It's going to be a let down I reckon.

Im on lunar but cant venge. I knew i shouldve gotten ... 13 more mage levels! :roll:

Good luck Pkers. This is going to annoy me i think.

Dark, whats corrupt dragon armour?

Lol@beach rofl

I dont need a siggy no moar.

It's just the new pking armour for free players atleast, it's mentioned in the article along with new level 78 members armour for all combat styles and new ancient magicks.

*update*

If you are lucky, you may come across some severely damaged dragon equipment. These have all of the same equipment bonuses as ordinary dragon equipment (click here to see a list of its bonuses), but can be distinguished by the faded colours. You can wear these for 30 minutes before they crumble to dust. The following dragon items are available in a corrupted state:

* Chainbody

* Medium helm

* Platelegs

* Plateskirt

* Square shield

* Battleaxe

* Dagger

* Longsword

* Mace

* Scimitar

* Spear

Dark_Jab.png

I hated PVP before, but I logged into a PVP, just to check it out (I was in Lumby thank goodness!), I teleported to Cammy, and promtly almost got my first ever kills, except they ran inside the bank -.-

Ending note: I LOVE PVP WORLDS <3:<3:<3:<3:<3:<3:

Ok today isn't my good day.

I just beat a lvl 97 ranger and took his stuff which made my total inventory about 500k, and out of nowhere this member-gone-f2p world attacks a weakened me and I loose 500k....

Godarnit, I have never felt this sense of excitement for a long time, PVP Worlds rock!

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

I don't like this level change thing, it seems like it shouldn't be on non-pvp worlds. It also looks very horrible when clicking other players (really cluttered)

2008sig2nb6.jpg

Quit RS 2005 | RSN: Johnalder

Back as of 5/7/2008!

Dragon Drops: x1 Med, x5 Legs, x4 Skirts, x25 Boots, x1 Visage | x7 Abyssal Whips

Got attacked by a dude in Varrock, 99 str + R2H, I was still trying to walk away for 3 rounds, I only wore green d'hide chaps and top, zerker shield, rune gauntlets, str ammy and rune scimmy and pwned him, but alas didn't get the kill since he could run to the Varrock bank and ate ¬_¬

Needs to be some sort of penalty if you try to run? Otherwise a bunch of people will just happily run along to safe zones.

I like the new armours, would love to get hold of a set!

Dark_Jab.png

Not much of a PK'er myself but the PVP worlds look exciting. Pretty treacherous tbh, which I guess is the excitement for you guys.

So all in all it looks good, but I really hope Jagex see sense and change the combat system back to the way it was on non-PVP worlds.

It looks more like algebra than a combat level.

\'

Duckie_Wins.png

Wow, this updates looks pretty good. I wonder if I'll start to PK again?

Oh, and just a quick question, but so far, it seems as if these PK worlds are F2P only? Let me clarify, all the experiences I've heard about so far are wearing F2P armour. Not fair, I want to PK in my Veracs! :(

EDIT: Not a fan of the new combat level system. It should be something like "126 - (138)", instead of this mathemical equation.

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Yes... Yes, that's what he said.

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

:D

IM BURSTING WITH EXCITEMENT

Bogrog has expanded his enterprises even further and will now convert your spare Summoning spell scrolls to shards in a similar way to his already popular pouches to shards service.

:ohnoes:

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top