PvP RELEASED - Relive the good old days!

The Observer

15 October 2008 - PvP Worlds

PvP worlds have arrived! Are you ready to pit your combat skills against other players in the halls of the White Knights Castle? Are you prepared to fight to the death in the fields of Lumbridge? Well, now is your chance.

To get started, load up the game like normal (click here to read about the changes to the log-in system we've also released today), and then choose 'World Select' on the title screen. Then pick a world which has a tick in the 'skull' column to choose a PvP world. To avoid nasty accidents, if you let the game choose a world for you automatically it will never select a PvP world. Also note that you require a Combat level of at least 20 (not including Summoning) to get into a PvP world.

Before you are logged in, you will be warned that you are entering a PvP world which is a dangerous place: you will lose your items on death and you will not get a gravestone. Upon entering the world for the first time, youll be teleported to Lumbridge and given a manual to explain the finer points of PvP worlds.

Heres a quick run-down of the features:

• [*:1gi8odms]Fight players (within your level range) anywhere on the map, except in a few safe areas.

[*:1gi8odms]Safe areas include banks, respawn points and some guilds.

[*:1gi8odms]Level ranges are 10% of your Combat level, plus 5 levels. If you are fighting inside the Wilderness, the Wilderness level is added to this total. Your current attack range is shown on your screen at all times. (The 10% is measured from the higher of the two combatants levels.)

[*:1gi8odms]Skulling is back same rules apply. If you initiate combat, you are skulled and on death you will lose all items, with the Protect Item prayer saving one item as normal.

[*:1gi8odms]Teleport Block is back in the normal spellbook.

[*:1gi8odms]Some minigames are available to play, others are not please see the
Game Guide for more details.

[*:1gi8odms]Death drops are back new rules apply. Drops will be a mixture of items from the defeated opponents inventory and items from drop tables specific to PvP worlds. See below for details.

The quality of the drops you get when you PK someone depends on several different factors:

• [*:1gi8odms]To get a reward from a kill, you also have to risk some items yourself!

[*:1gi8odms]To accumulate a possible reward, you have to risk a minimum of 75k of items on a members world, or a minimum of 25k of items on a free world.

[*:1gi8odms]Note that your three most valuable items wont count as being risked unless youve been skulled, as you wouldnt lose them.

[*:1gi8odms]The longer you spend on a PvP world (outside a safe area) with the required amount of items at risk, the better your possible rewards might become, to reward you for your risk.

[*:1gi8odms]The possible reward increases even faster and goes to a higher maximum if you go into a hot zone.

[*:1gi8odms]Note, however, that risking more than the minimum wont improve your rewards faster, so its a good idea to take relatively cheap and useful items that wont cost you too much to replace if you die.

When you get a successful kill, the exact reward you can claim depends on a number of other factors, including the level difference between you and the value of the items items lost by the dying player. Any unclaimed loot is saved for the next kills, so you don't have to worry about it being lost if you kill a low level player.

Don't despair if you are dying a lot and losing a lot of items. The game will detect this and improve your chance of getting decent rewards when you do eventually get a good kill.

The above is a simplified description of how it all works. To prevent cheating there are various other factors taken into account. We've calculated the rewards and rates very carefully, so that a successful PKer should be able to get a good income, and PKers who get lucky might find themselves with a good drop. Higher level players may also get higher rewards to reflect their increased earning ability when not PKing, such that PKing is still worthwhile for them. The aim is to make PKing a fun alternative (albeit very high risk) way of earning money in the game.

Included in the PvP-specific drop tables is a wide range of new combat equipment and XP-boosting gloves. Members will get access to level 78 items for all three corners of the combat triangle, including armour as well as weapons, and a new set of Ancient Magick spells. Non-members will get access to corrupt dragon equipment. To find out more about these items, please visit the Game Guide.

Have fun PKing!

Mod Benny

RuneScape Content Developer

[hide=Previous Post]
PvP Worlds

Ever found yourself wanting to say, Look, its my tree. If you dont stop chopping it...Ill chop you! Sounds cool, right? Yeah, but where could you do it? And when? The answers are PvP worlds and October!

From log-in, those that are interested in PvP content will be able to join in on special PvP worlds. The danger on these worlds will be very clear from the first messages you see, ensuring that players never log onto these worlds by mistake. After all, we dont want players accidentally getting involved with PKing (player killing) if they dont want to. Normal, non-PvP worlds will still act just as they do now, so dont worry if bashing others isnt really your thing.

Those that want to get involved will find a number of differences to the usual set-up on PvP worlds. Firstly, youll be able to fight people pretty much anywhere, so long as their Combat level is similar to yours (within a certain range of levels). This means that almost everywhere is dangerous. Some places, like banks and respawn points, will be deemed safe and no combat will be able to occur there, and some of the minigames will be disabled (you wont be able to PK team mates while playing Castle Wars, for example) but many will still be active. Other places, like Falador, Varrock and the entirety of the Wilderness, will be considered hot spots where the danger will be even greater and a higher concentration of opponents.

Now, onto the money side of things. Many of you will be aware of the RWT (real-world trading of RuneScape gold for money) reasons we changed the old Wilderness. We certainly cant just bring that threat back to RuneScape, so we have devised a system that rewards players based on a variety of factors. This means that things such as risk, level of foe and location will help to calculate rewards. Drops will be determined by a combination of drop tables and some of the gear that your opponent drops. We will go into more depth about this on the day of release.

Yes, you heard it, PvP worlds will be released this very month! Woo! \' What is YOUR clan doing to prepare for this great update?[/hide]

j0xPu5R.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe hopefully its be tter than they make it out to be :P. They always find a good way to kill the updates.

Proud Warlord of Dragonwood

If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how? ~ Joan Baez

Rest in Peace 3xtermination

Tipitsignature.gif

Hopefully the level restrictions aren't too... restricting :P

Jcfc.jpeg

Thanks everybody for the sigs | 3,956 to 99 fishing | King of BsK 18/09/08 - 18/10/08

Chelsea Supporter | CD Supporter | AfterShock Member

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Cotton Traders

Now what the hell are you waitin' for? After me, there shall be no more, so for one last time, make some noise.

Finally, an incentive to get 99 Mage.

When PvP worlds are released, Jagex will probably have a few bugs to iron out (like with POHs: the great Duriel controversy), but it nonetheless looks like a great update which could refresh the clan-world.

Offline and unavailable.

I really hope that the level ranges are like 1, 2, 3, 4,..10, 11, 12...etc. Will make such a difference and much more enjoyable for everyone. Then again I wouldn't mind a thing where certain areas are just say 10-25, or 30-35, or 50 to 65 in level ranges, but inside of these areas the level ranges differ with each set of squares or so. Very interesting to speculate but too much of a headache.

*-P.K.Masters-* is especially excited and are working vigorously to try and make the best out of this future update. I ask from you, for when PvP worlds are released, which areas will you control? Why?

j0xPu5R.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, IT HAPPENED!! \' :thumbsup: .

I can't contain my excitement, and I find it extremely good, with the only gimmicks mentioned already before, I specially like it how the made the fight option ::' (You can attack somebody 10% of your combat level + 5 levels ::'

22031_s.gif

I've had such a blast today. :thumbsup: Got a nice amount of kills, a few deaths and uhm crappy drops. Oh well, was in it for the fun anyway. Definitely going back tomorrow to waste a few more sets of rune, I have some to spare. Also made some pocket change from selling my spare DDS'es between deaths for 50-60k ea. :P

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Pulled 48 ops in ten minutes, massed at Fally west bank, then went to GDZ. We actually DD'ed at GDZ--I couldn't belive the feeling. Althought the white text in the names will take some time to get used to, I feel that overall, the PVP update is pretty well done.

Ran into SE, but they were in hides :| [hide=Off Topic - Massing]D7RIV3.png[/hide]Can't wait for our official this Sunday. Hoping for some good PKRIs.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

It's been fun to 1vs1, as fighting those in rune at level 70, is just too easier with 90 range.

My closed clan we were able to pull 10 people and just went around to the various multi-spots and had some fun totally out-hugging rune pkers, run energy ftw!

P2P is definitely better though for drops, as it's a larger range, and everyone is almost always carrying over 75k+, except one itemers, that will disappear sooner or later. F2P is just getting rune as a drop...every 4 kills or so...?

just had a huge cluster with like 8 clans involved at GD's, was a ton of fun. I made a profit too rofl :D

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.

Yes, a clan needs to be out PKing for at least an hour before drops start getting decent.

If you pop in a bank once do you totally start over?

I don't think it starts over. Going into a safe zone probably reduces the reward instead.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

I actually came out of retirement for this today. For the first time in 9 months I logged on. Had allot of fun, and I just might play runescape again because of this. Kudos to Jagex for finally releasing something that fills the void the old wilderness left when it was removed.

TipIt had better beat the other fansites in getting a guide about the new PVP worlds. Things like hotspots, levels of engagement, and more should be mentioned. One question for those of you who have been on allot today: does the margined for engagement (in my case 71- 98 combat) change any depending on where you are?

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci