Player Moderators: Are They Really Worthy?

@Dan3HitU

Most of the ones I have seen are pretty decent people. They do their job well and most are quite nice to have a chat if they aren't busy.

Some are obvious abusing their powers and hopefully they were reported and banned.

99 Fletch~~99 WC~~79/81 Fishing

87/94 Magic~~84 Range

Etha! Saradomin Forever~CW

CB: 107 Total: 1788+

ON BREAK

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know 5 or 6 player moderators, however one of these I know very well IRL, he explained to me the process in which he went through. I'm quite sure that Jagex are careful about who they select. There are about 3500 - 4000 player moderators today, and naturally a small percent of these will abuse their position.

3 Hit U, as much as I respect who you are within Runescape, I don't like your generalisations and arrogant attitude, this topic isn't about you and would be much better kept that way.

As Poet said on a previous page (one of my pmod friends), pmods are just players.

These players are selected for their accurate reports, quality over quantity and their general attitude within the game.

As Mehrunes simply stated, "The objective of a Player Moderator is to try your best to be a role model and to still follow all of the rules and regulations along with trying to get everyone else to follow them as well."

Player moderators are somewhat guidance for other players out there, less in-touch with the rules, Jagex chooses them because they know the rules very well, and providing they use the moderator forums, they know EXACTLY what to mute for.

I don't think this topic is a very good choice of subject matter, there will be a lot of flaming, and a lot of misinformation.

Thread caught my eye.

-inserts 2 gp-

I'll co-sign too.

Alright, lets pretend you're in a moderator's shoes answering 10,000 questions a day where people ask the same question every minute. Do you calmly answer them, and tell them to look in the Knowledge base for more info, or ignore them completely and place them on their ignore list for being a noob?

Back to the point. Without us, the game will fall apart and jagex might have to shut the game down due to no authority in the game. Don't even say "Hey, Jmods can pop in the game and report when needed." Jmod's have to program, maintain, and add to the game, along process reports. Their schedule is far too busy for them to pop in game every single day to do what Pmod's do. Pmods are the first defense jagex has to protect the players (next to regular players and fmods). If you still think we're not needed, ask yourself, "will the game survive without moderation?"

-Steps off soapbox-

Read that please. You seem to have a bit of a God complex. You guys are not all that important; the game would not fall apart in any way or form. Sure, you'd get more spammers and cursers, but that would be a minor annoyance less than, say, randoms.

Considering Jagex's customer support reputation, I don't see them closely monitoring players for modship. Many who say this, ironically, also say that their lousy customer support stems from the number of customers and reports they have to do. But, though there are fewer players, it's still darn hard to really monitor them. The only thing they CAN judge by is the number of pertinent abuse reports and the age/stats of the account.

But the most harmful byproduct of mods are the wannabes. Often, they make reports for something that is CLEARLY within the rules. People who say Youtube are reported despite the fact they are allowed to say it and, due to the faulty customer support, incur blackmarks or punishment. Sometimes the wannabes even bait players with the intent of getting them to say something against the rules. Indeed, any benefit mods bring is, I believe, mitigated by the wannabes.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

They're normal players, just like you and me, only difference is, Jagex listens to them more as in, their reports get priority over ours. Plus they've got the trust of Jagex to mute if necessary.

Personally, they're no different than anyone else in my eyes. Partly because I've been mod myself and know what's it like. I've got alot of pmod and ex-pmod friends which I'm friends with because they're just nice people, not cause they've got crown. And Mylez, I'm quite sure there are way over 5k mods now. About 2 years ago, when I was mod (Became one on August 11th, 2006), there were about 4k and growing in numbers.

Profins.png

specty.png

And Mylez, I'm quite sure there are way over 5k mods now. About 2 years ago, when I was mod (Became one on August 11th, 2006), there were about 4k and growing in numbers.

Well no he is right, numbers dropped alot when we had to give Jagex our person details to say a mod (same went for forum mods - the giving personal details part) and there only startign to go back up now.

howlin1eeveesig.png

I've been playing since 2005, which isn't really a long time, but I haven't come across a player mod who has abused their power. Sure I thought it might've been a dumb reason to mute me at the time :oops: , but I realize what I did was wrong. But I'm sure there are those who do abuse their power. :ohnoes:

25632.jpg

Magma_Guard3.png

runescapeboomdeyadasigui7.jpg

They're normal players, just like you and me, only difference is, Jagex listens to them more as in, their reports get priority over ours. Plus they've got the trust of Jagex to mute if necessary.

The problem with this, is that Jagex get lots of stupid reports every day and ignore most of them, but if a Player Mod makes a stupid report, they're more likely to be listened to and the light-offender gets punished for an offence that would normally be ignored.

I've been playing since 2005, which isn't really a long time, but I haven't come across a player mod who has abused their power. Sure I thought it might've been a dumb reason to mute me at the time :oops: , but I realize what I did was wrong. But I'm sure there are those who do abuse their power. :ohnoes:

How do you "come across" some P Mod who's power abusing... it's not like they have a banner or tell anyone.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

I've been muted for 4 days by a player moderator because I said that I like blondes.

Probably an angry brunette. :lol:

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I've been muted for 4 days by a player moderator because I said that I like blondes.

Probably an angry brunette. :lol:

Maybe she was trying to hit on you. :o

My position in all of this is, let the mods be. If you have a vendetta against them, keep it to yourself. You don't need to make other people start to feel the hate against perfectly normal players who believe in morals. :shame:

I guess there are three things to not talk about now; religion, politics, and player mods. :roll:

I've been muted for 4 days by a player moderator

Umm.. sorry, but this is bs. What you said is, well.. Impossible. Mods CAN'T mute for 4 days :roll:

Yeah, it's a 48hr mute. Unless Jagex staff extended the mute, which is more than possible ;)

About 6 of the player moderators I've met and become friends with were stripped of their powers from faulty reports. I've seen quite a few moderators abuse their powers, though I didn't talk. Guess I just pass by em at the wrong time or something...

The ones that don't abuse it, really deserve it, from what I've seen. I've seen one brave enough to tell a player, "I don't have to answer every freaking question you ask."

If they do what they are supposed to they are helpful if they ignore you or other people in need then they are not

Arma Hilts-2

Bandos Drops-22

Zamork Hilt-1

Dragon Drops-122

Dk Drops-47

Whip Drops-10

99's-Herblore/Prayer/Fletching/Crafting/Constitution

2200 Total in under 100 days played

My Blog :D http://forum.tip.it/topic/301717-jessomephyrexials-blog/#entry5018330

Personally, All the player mods I've seen have been polite and helpful. One of them is my friend and we did part of Monkey Madness together. another 2 or 3 helped me when I was very nooby and led me to varrock and falador. I would like to be one so I can help people too. :thumbsup:

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Umm.. sorry, but this is bs. What you said is, well.. Impossible. Mods CAN'T mute for 4 days :roll:

Well then, I wonder how I've been muted 4 times in 2 weeks for 4 days each time?(Successful appeals on 2 of them, shortened my mute to 8 days.)

Yeah, it's a 48hr mute. Unless Jagex staff extended the mute, which is more than possible ;)

They did.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

When most mods were selected, there was a heap of thenigs to do. Reporting bots, scammers etc could be a full time job. After the Nov 08 updates, the reporting duties were almost non existent unless you hang out all day in Lumby.

Do some Pmods abuse power - perhaps, but lets face it they dont have much power to begin with. All they can do is go on a mass mute spree and after a certain time period of mass muting you get the ability removed.

Jagex cannot predict when a Pmod will go on a bender, but very few do from what I have seen.

I've seen probably 2 mods who have used there "power" in a way that I guess could be called power abusing. Yet I've met and talked to probably 50+ that are just like your regular player, except with a crown next to their name. Hell, some of my mod friends report less than I do, which is like 2 times a year :|

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Well then, I wonder how I've been muted 4 times in 2 weeks for 4 days each time?(Successful appeals on 2 of them, shortened my mute to 8 days.)

They did.

You were muted by a report, when you receive a mute froma player moderator it tells you so and the mute is unappealable, however jagex reviews it. It is possible you were victim of the priority report, that is painful.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Some are, but not all.

I think people are reporting offensive players just so they can get the silver crown and, once they do, they just slack off.

Several times I have seen player mods who did nothing but chatting or training their skills. Once I asked one of them to mute another player for obvious message-flooding rude languages (not censored), she told me to get a life and kept to her business. How rude!

Player Moderators aren't obligated to go out of their way while playing to stop rule breakers, report the person and put on ignore. Problem solved.

Every Player Moderator I know has earned their Silver crown, they're all very helpful, intelligent and most of them act mature. Yet to experience a pmod who abuse their powers, obviously though when people are given powers and opportunities a minority view will abuse it.

no they are not.

the corrupt ones do far more damage than the helpful ones help.

How many bad ones do you see? How many helpful ones do you see?

There's going to be bad apples in every barrel, just get used to it.

I was a former pmod. About a year ago I gave it up because I was hacked.

When I was a pmod, all the mods I knew weren't corrupt. Although a few did abuse their power in minor ways.

I even met a few "noob" mods that wee nice enough to help others even though they weren't obligated to. ::'

But now, I do see a few mods that do not know what they are doing.

I earned my Modship by reporting when it was necessary and abiding by the rules. \'

I think Jagex makes careful decisions about who to make a mod because of their record, but the record doesn't show who the person is.

Darkman_X_99.png

Darkman_X_99.png

99 WC - 12/20/08! =D

99 Defence - 6/19/09! 44,012 to reach it!

Aiming for 2000 Total Lvl!