Could a tiny F2P Update Actually HELP P2P?

IMSecure

No, range is already powerful enough in F2P. A player with high level range using even adamant arrows can beat a player in full rune, rune arrows would be overkill. As for the yew bows, I'm on the fence with that one.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a good idea, but for a different reason. Melee's pretty overpowered compared to range or mage in F2P, so an update to range would be helpful. It's not really fair that melee has level 40 equipment while range has only level 30.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I think it would be a good idea, but for a different reason. Melee's pretty overpowered compared to range or mage in F2P, so an update to range would be helpful. It's not really fair that melee has level 40 equipment while range has only level 30.

Something tells me green d'hide armour is level 40 range ;)

Xenon_101.png

Xenon_101.png

99 Range on 08/25/08!

Solo Arma Hilt on 12/06/08! (clicky)

For all the people who say "yew bow prices will not improve" are you stupid...

Not only will F2P be able to use them, but they can also Alch them...

Now imagine, it goes from 1M being able to alch them (members) to 10M (f2p) who could alch them...

The prices will soar because its hard to train mage in f2p...

Also, thinking about it, rune arrows might be overkill in f2p

I am totaly for giving F2P anything new. they are still part of the runescape community and thats what this game is, a community game. Just becuase they dont want to pay doesnt mean anything. They either cant afford it or just dont have the time to put into members so why should that make it any less fun? If Jagex were to make more things F2P i bet alot of players would see that, yes grass is greener on our side and either want to become members more or become members more and play more. Thus making Jagex more money and yes money makes the world go round. I believe that we can give alot of new things to F2P and not hurt the P2P community while making the bonds between the two. More map area, yew bows, new arrows, dare i say dragon weps that dont degrade?

dax1224.png

alt1ma.png

Now imagine, it goes from 1M being able to alch them (members) to 10M (f2p) who could alch them...

Training magic in freeplay isn't much harder than training it in members. The difference is finding something profitable to alch. Steel-Adamant plates fit the bill nicely.

Linux User/Enthusiast | Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Training magic in freeplay isn't much harder than training it in members. The difference is finding something profitable to alch. Steel-Adamant plates fit the bill nicely.

thank you very much for bringing this up

steel plates cost over 1.5k+ (i think) and only alch to 1.2k. the other thing ppl alch are green d hide bodies which cost 4k+ EACH!!!

yew bows cost 600-800gp and its been around that price for ages. though you get the same exp, you need 4-5x more money to spend on the same amount of exp. also, i think flax should remain p2p only.

2) Fletching becomes less of a "noob skill" in some peoples' eyes because its now useful as F2Pers and P2Pers can buy Yew Bows

You have to be joking with that one right.

Yew shortbows might be hard to sell, but yew longbows sell for max price. (I just bought some.)

If they add short ones, they have to add the long ones.

This would mean that f2p get a very good way of getting their magic up.

They would be forced to give rune arrows out if they released yew bows to f2p.

Rune arrows are pretty useless with all the powerfull bolts though.

It might help fletchers, but it will hurt how some members get their magic level up.

I think f2p should be able to mine pure ess. Let them all be our slaves.

Wow! Getting Members... ~7$/Month, Being F2p... Free, Your stupidity... Priceless!

You know, that's really offensive. I guess you don't know the REAL definitions of the word "Slave" or I guess you are just an idiot.

If you consider that to be "slave" work then everyone in RS is a slave, cause everyone has done/does something that someone else will/is benefiting of.

I fail to see how F2P Ranged is unpowered unless you fight someone with 99 Ranged and 90+ Defense when you happen to be a pure...

Maybe if Yew Shortbow Prices improve, Alchers could alch them instead of longs?

yea, it will sure increase the alching price then. :thumbsup:

:roll:

You have to think of the combat triangle for F2P, and factors (way too many to list) affecting that (even those P2P contribute). Melee is probably the strongest F2P style of combat (followed by Range, then Magic), but with it comes a price. Rune armor is expensive for F2P. Range armor is very cheap (a full ranger set consisting of body, legs, and bow costs less than even the cheapest piece of Rune Melee armor [full helmet]). Magic.. Has cheap robes, and runes remain constant (F2P Magic combat will always be weaker).

The Triangle is supposed to follow a Melee > Ranged ; Ranged > Magic ; Magic > Melee. Thus completing a flowing triangle. Giving them a stronger bow (Yew, both long and short) and arrows (Rune) would way overpower F2P attack towards Magic, and defense against Melee (as you will be more equal). Not only that, but F2P ranged training would be much easier. These somewhat 'small' changes would really overpower F2P ranging, even if you don't realize it directly. Even with regular Green dragonhide, a Maple shortbow, and Adamant arrows, you can get a decent ranged bonus for very cheap, and still be overpowered.

And not only that, but shortbows are the choice over longbows, and changing the price to be higher than a longbow would mess up a lot as well, including for Fletchers. You would be making more profit off of Yew shortbows (at a lower Fletching level), and changing a lot for the worse in all of the Yew market.

~Zackdt

zackdt.png

I think f2p should be able to mine pure ess. Let them all be our slaves.

To all p2pers wanting f2p to mine pure ess....why would we f2pers want to mine it? We dont need it for rcing, as we can use Rune Essence.

Slaves? lol, this aint possible in runescape. You cant force a f2per to mine your ess for free because of the trade limits, and there's no incentive/motive either. You cant whip us to work either because guess what...NO WHIPS IN F2P!

But to me it seems that p2pers will be the "slaves" as you so put it for RS for a long time to come, so gf.

anything owns str pures .. .actually its pretty logical for a ranged to own a str pure cuz they dont have the high def bonus that is part of the melee better then range triangle [cabbage] ...

melee should be better then ranged cuz of the def bonus .. which isnt part of a str pure ...

Maybe yew bows but no rune arrows.

I dont see why not as P2P do have dragon arrows, even though they are quite expensive.

But P2P would lose another item they could alch as the price of yew short and longbows rise as they become the best ranged weapon in F2P, (although, maybe F2P would gain an item they could alch).

2eprbpj.png

My personal views on F2P (although quite limited) is the Melee dominates all. Rangers at a close 2nd and Mage dwindles severely. Rangers getting something like Yew Bows with Rune Arrows might get them closer to Melee. Also, I personally think it is time for Mages to get a new set of Mage Armor. Specifically, I'm talking about Splitbark Armor. It's not as good as Mystic, and serves little to no purpose for members. I would personally like to see it become available to F2P as it might help rejuvenate one of my favorite minigames. Maybe give it an overhauled Range and Melee Defence bonus for a little more balance. It just seems odd that F2P Melee has 7 types of armors (Bronze, Iron, Black, Steel, Mithril, Adamant, Rune), F2P Range has 4 (Leather, Hard Leather, Studded, Green Dragon) and F2P Mage has like what? 1? 2? (Blue Mage Robes, maybe Priest or Monk Robes?). The Attack Bonuses are based on the weapon of choice. The F2P Metal Melee Weapons all increase attack as the metal improves. Same with F2P Rangers, they get better Attack Bonuses for type of Bow plus the type of metal of the Arrows. F2P Mages only get a Staff (weak), Magic Staff (better) and Elemental Staffs (Equal to Magic Staff in stats, only strictly better for the Rune it replaces). So basically they get 2 types of Attack Bonuses (Staff and Magic/Elemental Staff)...both of which are weak compared to what Rangers and Melee get. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me. Maybe throw in some Battlestaffs too? Make it where they can only get it from Players or through the Exchange? Leaving Mystic and all other known staffs to the members.

Yes, it would help P2P. But I don't think jagex will do it. Rune arrows was a big reason to why I became member tbh...

This i highly doubt...

Also, I never said rune arrows must be added to nonmembers. i think yew bows (short and long) but rune arrows? im not sure. range can be very strong in the 90+ in f2p

also, i dont think mage should get anything. and im dead serious. even for members. any more mage updates and it'll ruin it. mage is suppose to be 2nd combat style which you use when hybriding.

also, melee has way more than 7...

Melee

1. Bronze

2. iron

3. steel

4. black

5. mithril

6. iniate

7. adamant

8. prosthelyte (from the slug quest)

9. rune

10. dragon

11. third age

12. barrows

13. bandos

14. clay

i'm sure there are more but those are the main ones

Range

1. leather

2. hard leather

3. studded leather

4,5,6,7. dragon hide (green, blue, red and black)

8. Barrows

9. third age

10. armadyl

11. clay

theres also frog armour but no one really uses that

Mage

1. Robes (i'll count all robes)

2. Mystic

3. Splitbark

4. Ahrims

5. third age

6. clay

7. ghostly

In conclusion, its not how many sets of armour that make a skill overpowered. its how useful the skill is. Range is very useful for attacking people at a distance in f2p. melee is a req. for f2p (to ko someone). mage....not very useful. it hits a max of 16 and costs a blood fortune.

errrr... maple is there highest ranging bow atm, do you see a smooth and open working market. Apart from the first month it will just be the same. And in general f2pers arn't as rich and wont want to use rune arrows.

Arzian.png