Is Firemaking useless as a general skill?

Lan735

fire making can make money!

:thumbsup:

not much but its true you can sell the ashs for like 10gp or somethin.

Pyre burning.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Inferno Adze - A Dragon Axe and Rune Pick. Sure, it might burn some of your logs, but how convenient is that. Seriously, Firemaking might appear a useless skill, but JaGeX are really trying to incorporate a bit more in the game - as you can see from the beacon update etc.

And a good point by someone else in this topic, Firemaking gives Woodcutting a market - sure, not all of it, but quite a lot. Just because it doesn't make money, does not mean it isn't a skill.

And besides, who doesn't like burning stuff?

Dodongo_200.png

I <3 SikTh.

firemaking is "useless" in the sense that is primary function, a mobile cooking range, is as good at level one as it is at level 99 (other than lighting speed.) jagex has used it as a skill barrier, something to grind away at in order to do some other task. i dont have a porblem with this, except when its primary function dosen't qualify as a "skill". (i get the distinct feeling that if "mobile cooking ranges" came out now instead of rsc, there would be no fm "skill".)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

• 5 months later...

Lots of people think firemaking is a useless skill and there are those that would say it is not entirely useless.

I personally don't think the skills is useless but do think the skill can be more useful by having more way to train it and by benefiting other skills ect. combat: fire weapons ( and no i dont want them to make the skill easier to train only more fun and much more useful )

i also think the firemaking skill need a rethink, a revamp and or a redesign and with that a new name example :

1: pyro

2: pyrotechnic

3: pyromaniac

4 : survival

5: Bushcraft

6: pyrocraft

7: PyroMancy

8: Pyroworking

ect. ect. ect:

Ps: maybe put something in the skill at higher lvl's that lets u make a descent profit of the skill

fire making can make money!

:thumbsup:

not much but its true you can sell the ashs for like 10gp or somethin.

If you buy the logs, that just means you are 10 more gp out of the cost you put into buying the log. Now if we got magic ashes from burning magic logs, then they might be worth something but i doubt it will happen.

As to what i think, it is kinda useless. It has some purposes like others have stated. If you wanna get maxed and get into the kool maxed forums you need to get 99 in this, unless they allow certain people in. The only reason i got to 81 is because i got the brawlers and i used them up. They are pretty awesome things those brawlers. And thanks to them i don't have to worry about getting some reqs for a quest.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know, but maybe you could bury ashes for prayer (?) exp or something...better logs give more ashes?

Many monsters drop ashes after all...

Just a suggestion, I know its stupid.

thats a good idea like the higher the log the better quality the ash.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Well I obviously like the skill because i'm 99 in it, but I don't see why you think some skills are useless because they don't make a lot of money.

Here are a few reasons why it isn't useless:

1. vyrewatch burning- lots of money there...

2. pyre ship burning- if you're lucky there's some money there

3. hot air balloons- makes traveling easier

4. inferno adz- dragon axe/rune pickaxe all in one

5. without firemaking you wouldn't be able to relight lanterns and candles when they go out

6. you wouldn't be able to light house burners by alters in your house without firemakeing- less xp/bone offered=more expensive skill and longer skill?

Well those are the reasons why I don't think it's "useless" as a skill but if you don't think any of that is important well then to you I guess it is useless.

Firemaking: GIVES WOODCUTTING A MARKET

Fletching can only help so much.

Yup :) so next time u see a person with a firemaking cape dont flame em (kinda ufnny cause "flame" get it?) say thank you cause we most likely ha ve all fletched or wced once in our rs life eh?

btw dont forget the adze :)

Crybaby111.png

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;

Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

- Confucius

There are a few member uses. Some people like minigames. Vyrewatch stuff. Different lantern stuff.

That being said, firemaking out of all the skills probably needs the most development.

And other then maybe total level for fog, I can't see anything useful it does on f2p.

With vyrewatch, and maybe the new-ish minigame, firemaking is not longer too useless on p2p. Could still use quite a bit of development.

It is, to my knowledge, almost entirely useless on f2p. Making fires anywhere isn't that useful; and besides, just look for a normal tree to burn, which is the most common tree around at lvl 1.

Note though, firemaking wasn't intended as a money sink; it was intended as a mobile way to cook food. Usefull in RSC when you didn't have a bank. Plus, it takes logs out of the game; what it does to money is move it from one person to another.

Jagex is putting some work into firemaking. Has a few uses. Also, there ARE flaming arrows in the game, from the underground pass quest. However, they are only useful for the quest, and no better then a non-fire arrow. If Jagex added requirements to make higher level fire arrows (you could probably make a rune fire arrows at lvl 1) and made them useful...

The skill does have possibilities. And it's slowly becoming more and more useful.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

inferno adze.

have u ever got bored of training firemaking past 92? then go chop them trees you can get both xp at same time and on low level trees, they even saves the time from u dropping the log

Well I obviously like the skill because i'm 99 in it, but I don't see why you think some skills are useless because they don't make a lot of money.

Here are a few reasons why it isn't useless:

1. vyrewatch burning- lots of money there...

2. pyre ship burning- if you're lucky there's some money there

3. hot air balloons- makes traveling easier

4. inferno adz- dragon axe/rune pickaxe all in one

5. without firemaking you wouldn't be able to relight lanterns and candles when they go out

6. you wouldn't be able to light house burners by alters in your house without firemakeing- less xp/bone offered=more expensive skill and longer skill?

Well those are the reasons why I don't think it's "useless" as a skill but if you don't think any of that is important well then to you I guess it is useless.

Yeah, this makes me really think about how much people underestimate the watermaking skill. Think about it.

1. Without watermaking, how would you train herblore? You wouldn't be able to fill empty vials with water.

2. You need watermaking to make soft clay, which is important for making teletablets.

3. Watermaking is essential for getting around in the desert, cuz you'd die pretty quickly without waterskins.

4. You need watermaking to make jugs of water, which are used for wine, the game's fastest cooking xp (except lunar bake pie spells).

5. It's one of the most impotant skills in Trouble Brewing. You can't make 'rum' without water.

6. Watermaking is important in cooking, because you need water to mix with flour in order to get dough.

What would we do if we couldn't get experience in a skill like watermaking? Just use a bucket on a sink and not get experience from it? Then how would we fill up higher-level buckets with water? Getting 75 watermaking to fill magic buckets with water was one of my most prized accomplishments, even if they're the same as ordinary lv1 buckets of water. And it's a great skill for moneymaking too. I don't know how we would get along if we didn't have watermaking as a skill!

That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.... You don't make water you complete and total moron. Fires unlike water are made hence the name firemaking, next time you want to be a jerk about something I say why don't you think about it first. I was just stating a few things that make the skill Firemaking not completely useless. The question asked if firemaking was useless as a skill and I gave my answer there is no need to be a complete jerk about it.

That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.... You don't make water you complete and total moron. Fires unlike water are made hence the name firemaking, next time you want to be a jerk about something I say why don't you think about it first. I was just stating a few things that make the skill Firemaking not completely useless. The question asked if firemaking was useless as a skill and I gave my answer there is no need to be a complete jerk about it.

Way to miss the point. <.<

What I'm trying to say is that nothing you can do with firemaking requires that it be a skill in which you can gain experience and level up. Use logs -> Tinderbox. Make a fire. Do not gain experience, do not collect $200. Pyres are a contrived justification.

Way to miss the point. <.<

What I'm trying to say is that nothing you can do with firemaking requires that it be a skill in which you can gain experience and level up. Use logs -> Tinderbox. Make a fire. Do not gain experience, do not collect $200. Pyres are a contrived justification.

You could of just said that instead of quoting what I said and making something of it. -.-

But ya you're right there really is nothing you can do with firemaking that requires much skill to gain xp. But, that doesn't necessarily make it useless just kind of plain and boring to level. They should really fix that or something I guess.

Firemaking is in general a waste of time to do. There are a few notable features like Vyrewatch and pyres that have some application, but in the main, you're better off steering clear of it. The skill does take out the logs from the game that wc produces, along with fletching... But I tend to doubt its vailidity as a skill. Once you've lit one kind of fire you've lit them all.

runescapess162607v.jpg

Dragon drops: Half shield(cs), med helm(cs) Chainbody (cs) (I do a lot of monster hunting with my clan!

Barrows: Guthan's plateboy [1]

GWD: None yet, only done a few trips

Others: I'd love to be able to let you know.

GentleAura.png

• 3 weeks later...

FM is useless. Burns money. Wastes time. Stupid.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I gotta agree, Firemaking does seem somewhat useless. A lot of people who train firemaking train it by lighting a bunch of fires. They get the logs by buying them. The fires just burn out, without serving a useful purpose. So...it's just a skill.

So, it shouldn't be eliminated. Robertr1 made a good point, and I pretty much agree with it.

Twibb.png

FM is useless. Burns money. Wastes time. Stupid.

Is that a pun? You sly dog you.

Agreed, FM isn't THAT useful, but some people enjoy it

45,657th to 99 Range 29/09/09 , 41,018th to 99 Mage 13/11/09

rangecapecombined.gif__________________magiccapecombined.gif

Well In my personal opinion I believe that Jagex should create a micro skill section for skills like fire making which in rare instances are use full but usually its just a skill people do in order to get an easy skill cape.

? - ?????? ? ????????? ? ????? ?? ???? ??????????, ????????? ????? ??????????? ??, ? ?????? ?????, ?????? ??? ??? - ????? ?.