Skill Capes vs. Quest Skill Cape

doomwish11

I would like to take a mathmatical approch to this problem of which cape is more impressive

Here is a current list of the minimum requirements to get the quest cape:

41,171 - Attack - 40 - (TokTz-Ket-Dill) 41,171

449,428 - Defence - 65 - (King's Ransom/While Guthix Sleeps)

273,742 - Strength - 60 - (Path of Glouphrie/Dealing With Scabaras)

0 - Hitpoints - no quest requirement

273,742 - Ranged - 60 - (Mourning's Ends part 1)

166,636 - Prayer - 55 - (Summer's End)

1,210,421 - Magic - 75 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

737,627 - Cooking - 70 - (Recipe for Disaster)

899,257 - Woodcutting - 72 - (Back to My Roots)

136,594 - Fletching - 53 - (In Pyre Need)

333,804 - Fishing - 62 - (Swan Song)

166,636 - Firemaking - 55 - (In Pyre Need)

496,254 - Crafting - 66 - (Rocking Out)

273,742 - Mining - 60 - (Lunar Diplomacy)

668,051 - Smithing - 69 - (Rocking Out)

449,428 - Herblore - 65 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

273,742 - Agility - 60 - (Rocking Out)

368,599 - Thieving - 63 - (Rocking Out)

247,886 - Slayer - 59 - (Back to My Roots)

449,428 - Farming - 65 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

101,333 - Runecrafting - 50 -(Devious Minds)

166,636 - Hunter - 55 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

101,333 - Construction - 50 - (TokTz-Ket-Dill)

6,291 - Summoning - 23 - (Summer's End/While Guthix Sleeps)

Combat level - 85 - (Dream Mentor/Smoking Kills).

= 8,291,781 at 65 combat

but we still need 85 combat, so i've calculated the minimum levels to achieve this would be:

273,742 - Attack - 60

449,428 - Defence - 65

273,742 - Strength - 60

273,742 - Hitpoints - 60

273,742 - Ranged - 60

224,466 - Prayer - 58

1,210,421 - Magic - 75

273,742 - Summoning - 60

And Now the Total Minimum XP to Complete All Quests Is

= 9123375

Now this is nowhere near the 13m needed to get a skill to level 99, but that still doesn't even include all the work that was put into completing all the quests. But if you count all the XP gained from questing into this equation then you can start questing at 6,609,683 total XP and by the time you are done you will have the above total because the total amount of XP gained from questing is 2,513,692

So in conclusion there are 2 ways of putting an XP value onto the quest cape

either the cape is worth:

9,123,375XP

or

6,609,683XP + all the work that was put into questing(this part is debatable)

Either way the quest cape is still inferior to a skill cape and I dont think it matters which skill cape.

Any way you look at it the quest cape never reaches that 13m that you need for a skill cape.

BTW I do have a quest cape and it was very easy to get

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=]

I would like to take a mathmatical approch to this problem of which cape is more impressive

Here is a current list of the minimum requirements to get the quest cape:

41,171 - Attack - 40 - (TokTz-Ket-Dill) 41,171

449,428 - Defence - 65 - (King's Ransom/While Guthix Sleeps)

273,742 - Strength - 60 - (Path of Glouphrie/Dealing With Scabaras)

0 - Hitpoints - no quest requirement

273,742 - Ranged - 60 - (Mourning's Ends part 1)

166,636 - Prayer - 55 - (Summer's End)

1,210,421 - Magic - 75 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

737,627 - Cooking - 70 - (Recipe for Disaster)

899,257 - Woodcutting - 72 - (Back to My Roots)

136,594 - Fletching - 53 - (In Pyre Need)

333,804 - Fishing - 62 - (Swan Song)

166,636 - Firemaking - 55 - (In Pyre Need)

496,254 - Crafting - 66 - (Rocking Out)

273,742 - Mining - 60 - (Lunar Diplomacy)

668,051 - Smithing - 69 - (Rocking Out)

449,428 - Herblore - 65 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

273,742 - Agility - 60 - (Rocking Out)

368,599 - Thieving - 63 - (Rocking Out)

247,886 - Slayer - 59 - (Back to My Roots)

449,428 - Farming - 65 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

101,333 - Runecrafting - 50 -(Devious Minds)

166,636 - Hunter - 55 - (While Guthix Sleeps)

101,333 - Construction - 50 - (TokTz-Ket-Dill)

6,291 - Summoning - 23 - (Summer's End/While Guthix Sleeps)

Combat level - 85 - (Dream Mentor/Smoking Kills).

= 8,291,781 at 65 combat

but we still need 85 combat, so i've calculated the minimum levels to achieve this would be:

273,742 - Attack - 60

449,428 - Defence - 65

273,742 - Strength - 60

273,742 - Hitpoints - 60

273,742 - Ranged - 60

224,466 - Prayer - 58

1,210,421 - Magic - 75

273,742 - Summoning - 60

And Now the Total Minimum XP to Complete All Quests Is

= 9123375

Now this is nowhere near the 13m needed to get a skill to level 99, but that still doesn't even include all the work that was put into completing all the quests. But if you count all the XP gained from questing into this equation then you can start questing at 6,609,683 total XP and by the time you are done you will have the above total because the total amount of XP gained from questing is 2,513,692

So in conclusion there are 2 ways of putting an XP value onto the quest cape

either the cape is worth:

9,123,375XP

or

6,609,683XP + all the work that was put into questing(this part is debatable)

Either way the quest cape is still inferior to a skill cape and I dont think it matters which skill cape.

Any way you look at it the quest cape never reaches that 13m that you need for a skill cape.

BTW I do have a quest cape and it was very easy to get

[/hide]

You forgot something...the keyword here is YET. First of all, you think you can measure how easy a quest cape is because of its MINIMUM exp? lets think about this some more...yes you can have those stats to get the cape, but wouldn't people want better combat stats to make it easier? and even if they didn't, it would only make it extremely hard, requiring more and more time to get the cape. I honestly applaud anyone with the skills you just mentioned and a quest cape. Honestly, i don't know how they'd get past...smoking kills even with those kind of stats...and a lot of money(most which wouldn't be made back) would be spent on normally unnecessary potions and food and such. Overall, the work needed would be MUCH more than most skill capes. and thats just for now, because see, no matter how you look at it, runescape is still coming out with more and more quests. Eventually, the amount of exp needed would be much more than any 1 skill cape, and with luck, maybe even any 2 skill capes. all that is needed is a little bit higher stats, and maybe a lvl 100 combat req for one quest. inevitably, the quest cape will out rise and eventually overcome ALL capes...with the exception of about 4, in wich case it would be tied with the rest. =P Thats why the "yet" was an important part that was missing.

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

Range/HP cape is hard. #1 You can't power-train HP, #2 range costs a lot and isn't really used a lot, except for on some bosses and slayer creatures.

Prayer/Summon cape costs a lot. Plus you have to get those charms.

The Melee capes take A LOT of time. 13Mxp is 4,250,000 hits. That's a lot of things to kill.

Ranged/HP is NOT hard. Ranged is just a moderately slower melee, since it can easily be trained passively in an area with aggro monsters. I did my 99 ranged at SoS spiders, put far less effort into it than even WC. And HP exp is accumulated when you're training your other stuff. If you look at it in a vacuum, it might look difficult to gain but one day you notice that you've got 30m hp exp because you were busy leveling other stuff.

Prayer I dislike. Prayer is a lot of clicking. Summoning involves jumping through hoops, but I still prefer it over prayer since it's not as much repeated clicking.

The melee capes might take a while, but they're 60k+ exp an hour (except hp) towards the end. Not to mention that they're less work than most capes anyway. When you're cooking, you pull some fish out of your bank and hit cook all then sit back and wait a minute. When you're meleeing, you're just sitting back and making sure you've still got HP (unless you're training your melees as you slay, at which point you have to click on your monsters some times).

Honestly, i wouldn't want to be seen dead in a quest cape, attack cape, defence cape, strength cape, hp cape, prayer cape, ranged cape, magic cape, cooking cape, woodcutting cape, fletching cape, fishing cape, firemaking cape, crafting cape, smithing cape, mining cape, herblore cape, theiving cape, farming cape, hunter cape or consctruction cape.

The capes that actually show achievement to me are agility, slayer, runecrafting and summoning based on the amount of time it takes for agility and runecrafting, and the complexity and determination requred for summoning or slayer.

Agility shows achievement? >_> It's become a fairly common cape, one that you'll see untrimmed along the likes of fletching, cooking, or fm. Although I give props to RCers, it's a cash skill. You can't really tell if they love the skill or the gp. Slaying is more of a pure thing, since it's a long rocky ride without a lot of monetary upside.

The only capes that I'll ever wear are defense, fm, or possibly slaying/prayer. I like the look of the fm cape and I love its emote. It was the only skill that I leveled for the cape (although, to be fair, I had five 99s before those capes came out). Out of the nine 99s I've accumulated so far, I feel it's the only one that took any real effort (although alching was also a grind; I also haven't bothered buying capes for most of my 99s). However, as tacky as I first thought the melee capes were, I've really grown attached to defense. When I used to see a lot of guys with melee capes around, I used to have your same opinion and arrogantly dismissed them as being minor achievements. Of course, the very worst was defense, because I would mentally compare my defense exp to theirs >_> However, I identify with the defense cape both in terms of general philosophy and because I take pride in my defense exp.

Doing any skills for a cape seems rediculously stupid to me. if your character's looks within a game are that important to you, go work out to improve your own personal looks instead.

Then what's the point of playing at all?

And "working out" does little to improve a person's appearance. Exercise has a limited effect on a person's good health (dietary habits and, of course, genetics often play the larger role) and will do nothing to enhance characteristics such as height, shoulder-span, bone structure, a person's face, etc.

Quest cape is better then most skill capes. Its better then all combat except mage

Mage ties if its not completely bought

Its also better then fetching cooking and fire making.

the other skill capes are better though.

Ok so please explain:

Quest cape is better than all combat capes except mage = 5 "inferior" capes

It's also better than fletching, cooking and firemaking = 3 more "inferior" capes, total of 8 capes "inferior" to quest cape.

The other skill capes are better though. Leaves 16 Capes which are "better" than quest cape.

Yet you assert quest cape is better than most skill capes? How can it be better than most when in fact it is "better" than only 1/3 of all the capes around...? :wall: :shame: :ugeek:

This all depends on particular skill cape. I don't think cooking 99 or fletching 99 are that impressive.

The problem with quest point cape is probably that it's spoilt by quest walkthroughs. Actually, I should blame ya, tip.it, for that. :P I don't use quest guides and I still have them all done. That's quite an achievement if you do it all on your own. And it's not easier than getting a 99. To complete all quests, you still need to level all your skills decently high and you have to spend a lot of time - there are lots of them! As long as you don't have a guide open while doing a quest and you don't copy the instructions from it, you have to spend some time. But in an enjoyable way usually, most quests are fun. (Following guides gets ridiculous sometimes: click this? okay, I click... what now? ok, I talk to npc and skip all the chat... now the guide says what? ah, fill this with water, ok... does it say where to get water from? omg! they skipped important info! now there's some puzzle... click this button twice and the other one 5 times... now what? oooh, I'm supposed to open the door now! and now what? *carefully checks the guide* ooooh, go through these door I opened!)

So I think Quest Point Cape isn't really easier/faster, but it's more enjoyable. Training skills is just repetition. Which is more "pro" to have? They're both cool.

I think both are overrated. And both are made pointless by the higher bonuses of the Fire Cape. Why would you make a cape stronger than the Skill cape? That completely seems to eliminate any reason to wear one.

Full disclosure, I only have an untrimmed strength cape.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Btw, is it reallly a skill? cuz imo questing isn't a "skill" as we know it, so then can't it just be called a quest cape? qc for short? lolz

Dpattle.png[hide=]

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

Btw, is it reallly a skill? cuz imo questing isn't a "skill" as we know it, so then can't it just be called a quest cape? qc for short? lolz

No, questing is not a skill, and the quest cape is not a skillcape and is not referred to as one by Jagex. Coulda looked in the Game Guide if you wanted to know this. :roll:

Which surely is the whole point of the Debate Club?

And if you insist then I'll concede some very minor benefits in aspects of runescape, but on the whole I'd rather the guys that need to learn that kind of information learnt it properly from a book instead of acting completely ignorantly until their runescape epiphany!

Personally, I find no point in debating when there is no right or wrong answer and it comes down to a matter of opinion.

too true

Erin go bragh (Ireland for ever)

tetsupportsig2.jpg

ok well the BARE MINIMUM xp for the quest cape is 8,253,001 without factoring in hp since no quests have an hp requirement

Anyone who has the quest cape can tell you, however, that with the bare minimum, you are not getting your quest cape

The additional training and money required to get everything needed for these quests will easily push you above that 13m exp mark.

I see the quest cape as a much greater achievement than most skill capes due to the fact that it requires you to train all your skills rather than just that one skill continuously. On top of that, the quest cape has much more challenging requirements than skill capes. Fight the barrellchest, or the giant at the top of the magical beanstalk, or any other quest bosses at minimum levels and see how long you live.

Now take skillcapes

Agility: run around in circles over and over and over until you get 99, time consuming and boring, but there's no challenge

Attack: kill absolutely anything until you hit 99(yes you could even kill level 1 rats if you wanted to) challenge?

Construction: get a truckload of money and waste it putting up a house, no challenge involved, just money

Cooking: get food, click food, click fire, repeat

Crafting: same concept as cooking

Defence: same concept as attack

Farming: get seeds, plant seeds, take a nap, pick plants, repeat

Firemaking: get logs click logs click tinderbox repeat

Fishing: get fishing equipment, click fishing spot, wait

Fletching: get logs, get knife, click logs, click knife click product, repeat

Herblore: get vials of water, get herbs, get secondary ingredients, mix them together, repeat

Hunter: set trap, wait for trap to catch something, clear trap, repeat

Hitpoints: see attack and defense

Magic: get runes, get items, cast alchemy over and over and over, repeat

Mining: get pickaxe, click rock, repeat

Prayer: get bones, bury bones, repeat

Ranged: get bow, get arrows, click monster, repeat

Runecrafting: get runes, get talisman, run to altar, click altar, repeat

Slayer: get task, kill monster, repeat (untrimmed slayer cape is one cape i really really respect and want though)

Smithing: get ore, smelt into bars, get hammer, use bar with anvil, repeat

Strength: see attack, defense, and HP

Summoning: get pouches, get shards, get charms(this part is a [bleep] addmittedly and requires also training combat), get secondary ingredient, click obelisk, repeat

Thieving: click people, repeat

Woodcutting: get axe, click tree, wait

none of these require any actual skill to accomplish, as they can all conceivably be done using beginner methods if someone had the desire to. Then, once you have the cape it's yours forever, you never have to touch that skill again if you don't want to. The quest cape however, requires you to use problem solving(unless you use a guide and take baby steps through every quest) and a mixture of all of these skills to achieve it, and every month you have something new you must do to keep it so you can never get lax if you want to wear your cape.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

I think both are overrated. And both are made pointless by the higher bonuses of the Fire Cape. Why would you make a cape stronger than the Skill cape? That completely seems to eliminate any reason to wear one.

Trimmed Skillcapes have +4 Prayer bonuses and all Skillcapes can boost the corresponding levels to 100

Norman_Chu1.png

Norman_Chu1.png

Norman_Chu1.png

Trimmed Skillcapes has +4 Prayer bonuses and all Skillcapes can boost the corresponding levels to 100

Good point. the prayer and 100 in that skill...if it's a good skill anywayz.

Dpattle.png[hide=]

[/hide]

Tbh a quest cape is a skill cape in a way.

A skill is a thing or group of things which your good at so you can be skillful at questing therefore doing quests requirs skills.

Also when you have a quest cape you unlock 'Skillcape' emote \'

Runey_Lew ;)

Runey_Lew.png

• 2 weeks later...

[hide=]

ok well the BARE MINIMUM xp for the quest cape is 8,253,001 without factoring in hp since no quests have an hp requirement

Anyone who has the quest cape can tell you, however, that with the bare minimum, you are not getting your quest cape

The additional training and money required to get everything needed for these quests will easily push you above that 13m exp mark.

I see the quest cape as a much greater achievement than most skill capes due to the fact that it requires you to train all your skills rather than just that one skill continuously. On top of that, the quest cape has much more challenging requirements than skill capes. Fight the barrellchest, or the giant at the top of the magical beanstalk, or any other quest bosses at minimum levels and see how long you live.

Now take skillcapes

Agility: run around in circles over and over and over until you get 99, time consuming and boring, but there's no challenge

Attack: kill absolutely anything until you hit 99(yes you could even kill level 1 rats if you wanted to) challenge?

Construction: get a truckload of money and waste it putting up a house, no challenge involved, just money

Herblore: get vials of water, get herbs, get secondary ingredients, mix them together, repeat

Slayer: get task, kill monster, repeat (untrimmed slayer cape is one cape i really really respect and want though)

Summoning: get pouches, get shards, get charms(this part is a [bleep] addmittedly and requires also training combat), get secondary ingredient, click obelisk, repeat

none of these require any actual skill to accomplish, as they can all conceivably be done using beginner methods if someone had the desire to. Then, once you have the cape it's yours forever, you never have to touch that skill again if you don't want to. The quest cape however, requires you to use problem solving(unless you use a guide and take baby steps through every quest) and a mixture of all of these skills to achieve it, and every month you have something new you must do to keep it so you can never get lax if you want to wear your cape.

[/hide]

Exp totals like this completely ignore the fact that people with a 99 don't usually have level 1 in every other skill. In fact, a person with a 99 would probably have 3/4 of the Quest Cape requirements anyway.

If you want to go purely by skill, the quest cape is junk. The firecape wins.

If you want to factor in patience and dedication, the skill capes win.

If you want to go purely by... Wait, never mind. The quest cape will never win.

Every single quest boss fight I've done so far (all of them) was easy. Very easy.

Completing the monthly quest takes about an average of an hour or two. Just wear your firecape in that time.

Oh, and no offense, but your descriptions of the methods of getting 99 were painfully and childishly reductive.

Oh wait, I do mean offense.

You best be trollin'.

[hide=]

Now take skillcapes

[/hide]

Exp totals like this completely ignore the fact that people with a 99 don't usually have level 1 in every other skill. In fact, a person with a 99 would probably have 3/4 of the Quest Cape requirements anyway.

Every single quest boss fight I've done so far (all of them) was easy. Very easy.

Completing the monthly quest takes about an average of an hour or two. Just wear your firecape in that time.

Oh, and no offense, but your descriptions of the methods of getting 99 were painfully and childishly reductive.

You best be trollin'.

If you say so. The reason all this can be said is because most of the people writing have been playing for a long time and have finished quests over that period of time. Like i said before, there are 149 quests(atm) and they are still getting harder. One cannot try to compare that to skills that will remain the same no matter what. Try starting over again. and compare skilling to questing. That should give you an idea of how hard they are. And more are coming out still. Its a nighmare for new players. If you alredy have a qc, keeping it each month shouldnt be too too hard. But new players it is, harder than skilling for that matter, and it just gets harder. Thats what separates it from the rest.

Dpattle.png[hide=]

[/hide]

snip

You best be trollin'.

Do you really think that fighting the Haunted Mine boss is easy at, for example, my levels? Because I did, and it was HARD. I died 2 times, and had to use Iban Blast in the end (I had lower skills then).

Game_Proffy.png

You best be trollin'.

• [*:37mrnozl]If you go purely by skill, the firecape beats all achievement capes, but after that the quest cape has to take second place because it's the only one that is impossible to achieve through mindless grinding (with the exceptions of farming and summoning and perhaps slayer as well, which can still be obtained through grinding, but it couldn't be mindless.)

[*:37mrnozl]If you go dedication required, the quest cape needs more time in the long run, because it's the only cape of achievement where the time it takes to achieve it is continually increasing. As new content is added, all other skills get faster to max out, but quest points get slower to max out.

[*:37mrnozl]You couldn't judge by popularity, because the hiscores don't track quest points.

[*:37mrnozl]You couldn't judge by entertainment value because fun is subjective. Likewise, you can't evaluate based on the colors of the cape.

[*:37mrnozl]You could try to use the rewards you get as your criteria, but because of the nature of quests, the rewards come mostly from individual quests and not quest points. (Most skills are much the same in that they max out long before 99.) Also, just as with the time needed, the rewards from the set of all quests are continually being added to as new content is released, but that's also true with skills to a (much) lesser extent.

Frankly, I'd say skillcapes are better because they have a prayer bonus. I don't respect people based on what they're wearing; I respect people based on what they say and do. Seems like a much more effective method of judging, tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
Now, it's true, you have to continually do new quests. But since While Guthix Sleeps there have been like 2 quests. The Halloween quest doesn't take too long and the reward is incredibly beneficial to people who love that garden :D. See my 808kxp today? Yep :P. In Pyre Need takes... 45 seconds :o. Ya, I know, they'll come out with a hard quest eventually, but I mean it's not like we skillers have to deal with our xp being nerfed or needing other skills/quests to get good xp or anything, not at all. PC nerf hurt quests bad, but not us skillers and fighters...

That "hard quest may be the next one out, the 150th quest. As a owner of Quest Cape myself i think that we may see a thinning out of the number of quest capes around after this quest. However I think (hope :pray: ) that my stats are enough to reclaim my cape. I dont really want to have to train more non-cb stats.

Fire_Eater64.png

Thieving: click people, repeat.

I agree that the quest cape does require alot of skills and skill. But what you said about all the above skills is ridiculus. Its obvious that skills are repetative.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Think it all just depends on what you value as a player. Myself I see more kudos in a slayer cape then I would a quest cape, but would rate a quest cape higher than a cooking cape. I think its just down to player preference.