Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Greatsilverwyrm

A rabid Harry Potter fan took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling opus, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)

How about this :? . Quote there kinda explains it all, guy commited suicide after overhearing a spoiler at the mall. Here's the article: http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/a ... 2620.shtml

You really need to check your sources better. The guy who wrote the article "writes a daily humor column at http://www.borowitzreport.com". It comes from a comedy website.

And just read the article:

A rabid Harry Potter fan took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling opus, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)

Jude Ralston, 32, of Hudson, Ohio left a suicide note indicating that since overhearing the plot spoiler at a shopping mall earlier in the day, "I no longer have a reason to live."

Family and friends who gathered for a candlelight memorial outside Mr. Ralston's house remembered a man who seemed to live only for Harry Potter ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ and wondered if they could have done anything to prevent his tragic fate.

"When Jude got that vanity license plate that said ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃâHogwarts,' that seemed harmless enough," said Polly Clovis, who attended Model U.N. with Mr. Ralston while the two were in high school. "But when he started wearing that wizard hat around town, we really should have seen that as a cry for help."

According to friends of Mr. Ralston, the Potter fanatic had done everything in his power to protect himself from stumbling across Potter plot spoilers, even disconnecting his computer from the Internet and avoiding his favorite vintage comic book store.

Ms. Clovis said that she hoped Mr. Ralston's death would cause federal authorities to tighten the flow of Harry Potter plot information to prevent similar tragedies from taking place.

"In my heart I believe that could have saved Jude's life, even if he didn't have one," she said.

Elsewhere, President Bush called the jailing of a New York Times reporter "a positive step," but warned that many other reporters were still at large.

If you can read that and take it seriously, you have no sense of humour.

Of course, if the guy was real, then he was bit of an idiot. What was he gonna do with his life once he'd finished the book? Sit around in front of the computer for 4 years waiting for the next one? I highly doubt that's real.

Well... I certainly feel like laughing. He'll never know what happens in the end anyway. :shock: I don't really see the point of suicide in a situation where you found out a little of the book on which your life depends. Actually that sounds a bit stupid now I've read it. Hey, well. I don't even like Harry Potter.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was good but it did seem to lack.. detail, if I can say that. It seemed unnaturally short, even though it wasn't exactly short compared to the first three. Just seemed to be something missing. Am leaning towards saying the 5th is still my favorite.

I too thought the messages Harry kept receiving were extremely odd. It seemed like she had introduced this new method of communication very late. I don't recall random students handing Harry letters in the past five books. For some reason, this really struck me as odd.

hmm I'm glad you noticed this too. The first books were full of stuff happening whereas the whole middle section of this book was kinda boring. There was too much obsessing about Malfoy and not much else. Even quidditch was boring (I still think Harry should have gone ape* on that dude :D ). When it finally got to the end it just jumps out at us. There is no leading up to it, just a bunch of background knowledge and then, Wham! Dumbledoor's dead. I was like Wha..?

It also seems like she left us hanging at the end. All the rest have a sort of temporrary conclusion whereas this one just ends. I hope the 7th comes out in under 2 years but I don't have high hopes.

I guess it comes down to one simple question: What exactly did Harry do during the book? Answer: not much. Aside from the brief fracas at the end, Harry did nothing. How depressing :?

Just finished it, thought it was great....

About RAB being Regulus Black, here's what JK Rowling had to say in an online interview a while back about Regulus:

* Cathedral: Will we be hearing anything from Sirius Black's brother, Regulus, in future books?

JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's dead, so he's pretty quiet these days.

Now obviously, the note inside the locket said that "by the time you read this, I'll have been dead for a while..", or something like that, so I think that Regulus is the best guess, considering his initials...

Overall, I thought this was my favorite, but just because Harry, Ron and Hermione are all growing up, and become more mature..

I reckon this will take longer than two years. I honestly expect to have finished my finals before I read this (3 years from now). Which sucks, because the way you're left hanging at the end demands a new book NOW!

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Wow, I thought I was the only person who thought of Regulus, I thought I was really smart for my idea, took me about 3 minutes of scrolling through names of People who have been mentioned.

However with everyone taking the Regulus guess, I'm sure JK will lead on that early in the 7th, but it will be a red herring.

H/Hr Shipping for ever :) JK must pay for the travesty of R/Hr and H/G :P

Just to throw something into the mix, I heard that one of the book titles will be HP & The Chariot of Light, just a rumor of course, just like the Green Flamed Torch. But if I'm right then I > You :P.

I'm predicting a Loner Harry going around in heavy robes at the start of 7, hunting down Death Eaters, Or I wish, It would be pretty cool :D

~Chaosbringer

Harry says he was going to get the pther horocruxes, but why not let someone else get it?

Why is everyone dying?

Only 5 people know about the Horcux, and one doesn't specifically know the Voldemort is using them, or how many he's got. Only Voldemort himself, Harry, Ron and Hermione know about them. So it's down to those three to get them, because without destroying them, Voldemort cannot die.

And JKR said that everyone's dying because it's far more interesting to have the hero go it alone rather than have a huge support network behind him.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Wow, I thought I was the only person who thought of Regulus, I thought I was really smart for my idea, took me about 3 minutes of scrolling through names of People who have been mentioned.

However with everyone taking the Regulus guess, I'm sure JK will lead on that early in the 7th, but it will be a red herring.

H/Hr Shipping for ever :) JK must pay for the travesty of R/Hr and H/G :P

Just to throw something into the mix, I heard that one of the book titles will be HP & The Chariot of Light, just a rumor of course, just like the Green Flamed Torch. But if I'm right then I > You :P.

I'm predicting a Loner Harry going around in heavy robes at the start of 7, hunting down Death Eaters, Or I wish, It would be pretty cool :D

~Chaosbringer

R.A.B! lol I was reduced to scratching my head trying to figure that out!

Didn't he quit the death eaters? Then he got killed. It seems highly likely that he's the guy.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Man...what a book. That was amazing, to say the least. There's now even more theories and possibilities, more than ever before. Is Snape good? What will happen to Malfoy? Who is RAB? Does this leave 3 Horcruxes left? How will Harry defeat the Death Eaters, AND Voldermort? Is Dumbledore dead? Or does he have his own Horcrux? Was it even Dumbledore, or perhaps Snape and Dumbledore used the Polyjuice potion to switch appearances? What could Dumbledore have drank to cause him so much pain? How will the world react? And the list goes on.

The book was great, but I hated some parts of the ending. How they filled it with love. BS!!! Harry and Ginny, ok, thats reasonable. But all this Bill and Fleur, Tonks and Lupin nonesense was completely uncalled for, especially for the end of the novel.

signaturecj5.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

Harry says he was going to get the pther horocruxes, but why not let someone else get it?

Why is everyone dying?

Only 5 people know about the Horcux, and one doesn't specifically know the Voldemort is using them, or how many he's got. Only Voldemort himself, Harry, Ron and Hermione know about them. So it's down to those three to get them, because without destroying them, Voldemort cannot die.

And JKR said that everyone's dying because it's far more interesting to have the hero go it alone rather than have a huge support network behind him.

Er...no..obviously RAB knows about the horcruxes also. Who's to say he hasn't found all the rest?

I think Snape is good.

Think about it...

Why did Dumbledore start pleading when snape came out, but had no fear of death when he was cornered by many death eaters... Because Dumbledor wasn't pleading for snape to save him, but for snape to kill him, he didn't wan't snapes cover blown even if it ment loosing his life. If snape truely was a death eater, why did he only knock out prof. sprout (or whoever went to give him the warning)? Why didn't he attack anyone on the way? The common theme in the book was to carry on doing what your master wanted, even if he may be dead. I think that snape is still going along with the plan...

Dumbledor wouldn't beg for his life... It's just not him.

Why is everyone dying?

Not everyones dying. If JKR wanted every one to die the school would have just been destroyed by the death eaters as well as every person in it and Harry would have been the only one who survived. After all it would have been sad after all that love that seemed to be going with everyone in the the book. So instead Harry just ditched Hogwarts and that just completely eliminates everyone else from the story but then we can't rule out the fact that Ron and Hermione might make a surprise appearence after all a book with 4 main characters is pretty boring don't you think?

Woot just finished readin it. I bought it on saturday asap. I read 1/3 of it between then and yesterday, but read most of it today because i had nothing to do. lol im guess i read about 5 hours today.

Wow... that was the best one so far! I was more touched by this book then all of the the lord of the rings series, and im not an easy person to touch (not litterly...) .

I didnt want to make many theories, and hope not to think much about the next book, or else i will want to read it bad... but anyways, i think the next book will be very diffrent, and that it will be very long, due to them having to obtain all the items. And i very doubt we gonna hear much about hogwarts till the end. Harry will probably go back to Dumbldor's tomb at the end.

I very much doubt Dumbldor weill come alive, although i hoped when i read that the phinox was singing.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Guest GhostRanger
I think Snape is good.

Think about it...

Why did Dumbledore start pleading when snape came out, but had no fear of death when he was cornered by many death eaters... Because Dumbledor wasn't pleading for snape to save him, but for snape to kill him, he didn't wan't snapes cover blown even if it ment loosing his life. If snape truely was a death eater, why did he only knock out prof. sprout (or whoever went to give him the warning)? Why didn't he attack anyone on the way? The common theme in the book was to carry on doing what your master wanted, even if he may be dead. I think that snape is still going along with the plan...

Dumbledor wouldn't beg for his life... It's just not him.

Exactly! And Snape was so, deliberate about it. Something about that killing just seems fishy. Very fishy...

Also, we know that Dumbledore has a reason to trust Snape. A reason we're promised to learn but haven't yet, so why would JK wait to tell us why Dumbledore trusted him when we already know that Snape was bad? Doesn't make sense.

I believe Dumbledore also knew about the unbreakable vowe Snape had to take in order ot keep his cover. Dumbledore's diminishing strength was evident throughout the entire book and he knows that Snapes cover not being blown is more beneficial to the Order than Dumbledore pushing on.

i wanted to see some harry on cho action..... quite disipointing....

how does harry expect to make it far if just snape was wooping on him in battle? he definately needs to hone his dueling skills because he was crappin it up in the dueling stuff... i really hope that he totally wastes on someone and definately does an unforgivable curse... When harry did the spectra curse to malfoy and he started spewing blood i started cheering.. and you shouldn't cheer at someone being totally killed... but i did... god i wanted malfoy dead more than ever.... he is such a little wuss...

Wow lots of good therories, I especially like Mad4u's therories.

I like the idea that Snape is till good, even though I dont like him much.

Whoever said that Snape may have had a thing for Lily, I think it could be right. But in the 5th book, while in Snapes pensive you can hear him call Lily a "Mudblood". Thats really not the way to treat someone you love. But, it also works into the therory why Dumbledore trusted him so much. He loved Lily, but loathed James. He joined up with Voldemort. Snape then went to the Hogs head, and heard the first half of the prophecy. He went to Voldemort told him, then he said, "I will tell you who the prophecy is for if you promise not to kill the mother." Voldemort agreed. Voldemort goes to Godrics Hallow, kills James. Then approches Lily, and gives her the option to live (Because he was being loyal to what Snape had said) She decided she would rather die than live, and Voldemort killed her. Snape gets news of Lily's death and goes to Dumbledore, he tells him the whole story, about him loving lily, hearing the prophecy. Dumbledore realizes he was in love, and belives hes able to be trusted.

Looking back on that, id say thats a fair usumption, But i dont think Voldemort is the type to follow a promise. Then again Snape is like his favorite death eater.

Well, the book was really good. Hopefully Mugglenet will open its editorials soon. Then the 2 years will just fly by.

By the way, for all the people who said the book was to short and it was missing stuff. JK said that books 6-7 will be more like 2 parts. But action still happening in 6.

When survival is in question, anything goes.

I remember reading a fact on mugglenet that we would learn something HUGE about Lily Potter, but I don't remember reading anything enthralling about her :|

Oh, and RAB = Sirius' brother! It must be! [/theory]

ChocoboT.jpeg

Let's make babies!

The only question this book raises for me is what was Malfoy doing in becoming Moaning Myrtles friend. Other then that, I'm pretty pleased with the book.

The only question this book raises for me is what was Malfoy doing in becoming Moaning Myrtles friend. Other then that, I'm pretty pleased with the book.

I think it was because he had mixed feelings about killing Dumbledore. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's something in the book about it, but since I'm not @ home, I can't quote directly :|

ChocoboT.jpeg

Let's make babies!

I think it was because he had mixed feelings about killing Dumbledore. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's something in the book about it, but since I'm not @ home, I can't quote directly :|

I'll have another read tonight to see if it does, unless somebody does it before me. :lol: