Why is it that Runescape has a 200mil xp max limit?

Everyonedies

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing technical, just Jagex's choice.

According to Java docs, the maximum integer value is 2,147,483,648. (2.147B)

Ok then all they cut off was 14mil and some loose change becuase Jagex calulates 1/10 xp in their formulas. And yes 200mil is alot but its just such an arbitrary number. Plus i want skills to be able to be trained beyond 99.... There are so many people maxed out already.

If I remember rightly (not sure if it has anything do with it), if levels went higher you would be level 126 with 200mil xp. So, maybe it's something to do with formulae and future level caps?

Jcfc.jpeg

Thanks everybody for the sigs | 3,956 to 99 fishing | King of BsK 18/09/08 - 18/10/08

Chelsea Supporter | CD Supporter | AfterShock Member

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Cotton Traders

Now what the hell are you waitin' for? After me, there shall be no more, so for one last time, make some noise.

can anyone find that chart for the xp til next lvl after 99?

There is a way to do it if you use SwiftKit. If not...

A skill level of 126 needs 188,884,740 xp.

This is why I think jagex chose 200m xp. In Runescape before summoning, the number 126 was a BIG number. Jagex made it so that when they do let you go beyond level 99 you will stop at level 126.

Stellactic.gif

It's a combination of software limitations and Jagex's choice. They're not specifically using an Integer for this, they're using some other data type (I can't recall what it is off the top of my head). It probably has to do with the SQL/Oracle limitations, since that's where all of the user data is stored.

Anyway, notwithstanding that limitation, consider that the formula of a level is defined as:

Experience Required = floor [ (SUM(n=1) to (L-1) of floor(n + 300 * 2^(n/7)) / 4 ] [Source]

In effect, you probably wouldn't hold enough interest in any skill to get above 200M experience.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think 200m brings you to level 149 or 150.

And isn't that 2.1billion the money cap?

thats the money cap because of the previously mentioned technical limitations of java

can anyone find that chart for the xp til next lvl after 99?

There is a way to do it if you use SwiftKit. If not...

A skill level of 126 needs 188,884,740 xp.

This is why I think jagex chose 200m xp. In Runescape before summoning, the number 126 was a BIG number. Jagex made it so that when they do let you go beyond level 99 you will stop at level 126.

although i agree its a really nice number i dont believe thats the reason, as mentioned by everyonedies: experience is calculated at 1/10ths so that makes 2 billion numbers out of the possible 2.147billionm, they just rounded it down to a nice round number being 200m. The fact its also the exp needed for level 126 is coincidental in my opinion

Lord_Beloved.png

There should be no experience limit in my opinion. Skill limits are enough, but with the exp. limits in place that means the game has an end.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Keep in mind certain things give fractions of an XP point so it might just be the Java number cap rounded down a bit.

Also, I like the 200m cap because otherwise the high score leader would be a dude with all 99s and a couple billion thieving/cooking/fletching xp.

:ohnoes: \' ::' -.- :thumbsup: :-# :D :P :x :lol: :? 8-) :shock: :o :( ;) :) <3: :oops: :cry:

lol love emotes

anyway if u get that much xp u have no life so : GET A LIFE

pretty much what he said. I think getting a 99 takes a while, getting 200 mill in a skill would be like getting that same 99, 15 times. I guess people have that much time, but I will never have that kinda of free time. :ugeek:

25632.jpg

Magma_Guard3.png

runescapeboomdeyadasigui7.jpg

java cap is like 2^32-1 thats why its 2.147bil max

200mil i just an awesome # thats y its the xp cap :thumbsup: (2.147 bil xp is just ridiculous)

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

I think 200m is a good cap. It's clear that the top players can get 200m cook/fletch etc. without too much worry and that cap fores them to move to a different skill keeping things interesting. Well thats how I see it.

On a side note, what happens when someone gets 2.14b total exp?

Check my blog, I'm retired now anyway.

Ankie_1992.png

61,128th to 99 Strength.