Tip.It Times: 11 Jan 2009

n_odie

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Conerning randoms- Many a cooking fool has taken my challenge for a bet a random will appear, while cookin in the rogue's den. You steal from the gem safes long enough, you can get a random to pop while cutting your first gem. Bout 90% of the time. People always thought I was hacking... lol. I just say, those randoms aren't as random as you think.

I also like the idea of getting xp on level x 10/100/or whatever jagex deems necessary. You can even theme the randoms. Freaky forester gives it in wood cutting. Sargeant meathead gives agility, etc. Have them appear more often, when players are doing those skills associated with their respected randoms. I mean who wouldn't be happy if a freaky forester appeared while you were wood cutting, and gave you xp in it as well. Randoms are great; little breaks to fun up the boredom of grinding skills. Lately I have noticed better rewards from certain randoms. Mith arrow heads from balloon popping. Even 20 laws! Yes, I know this isn't much, but perhaps they are already making changes we aren't aware of.

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

When I saw the recommendation of super poison in your inventory to kill the mole for this article, I thought that someone was finally using their head to kill the mole the easy way. Turns out I was presumptuous in this assumption...

Poison, while quite useful has a little recognised side effect: it protects you from further poisoning.

If you have been poisoned by a weak monster and are taking 2 damage each splash, you have about 8 splashes (12 damage) where you cannot be poisoned by a stronger monster that could do 12 damage per splash.

The same applies to the mole. If you super poison it to begin with, then it shortens the time to half health, at which point the mole flees. Then you must continue to hit it, follow it, hit it, follow it till you run out of energy and have to walk the maze.

If instead you attack it till it flees at half health, then hit it with super poison, you can leave it alone and let it die of the poison as the total damage done by super poison is almost exactly that of half the health of the mole.

While taking only poison damage, the mole will not flee, it will just wander peacefully till it dies a few minutes later.

Another way to do this is to use the poison to begin with, switch to normal ammo till it runs, then wait till the initial poison wears off and then attack it again. This can be a little tedious as the time for the poison to wear off is quite long.

Also, if you happen to see someone quietly following a giant mole without attacking it, instead of charging in, check to see if it is poisoned. If so, it is already dead, it just hasn't noticed yet. Only attack it if you feel that you have way too much run energy and think walking is preferred when your own fight begins.

ps. I think the super poison is so close to half the hit points that it may be worth taking an extra 10 hp off the mole after it runs the first time to make sure the super poison works in a reasonably short time :-)

ooh, according to the runescape wiki, this only applies if you super poison the mole with a melee weapon, but I haven't seen a difference in melee or ranged super poison...

A quick calculation from more data on the wiki suggests that you can expect to do 60 damage in 20 mins. this damage seems a little low and the time a little long from my experience, but i can't find a good analysis of poison damage on the web... I'll have to do one myself.

Random events are annoying, but to go into that much depth.. it's a bit overdone. Jagex is doing something about it, why can't we leave it at that?

Whack-A-Mole, interesting read. Though I have hunted the mole before, it's a bit overrated.

I was satisfied with Jax's adventure though, looking forward to the next part. :thumbup:

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Hrm, interesting point about how to use the poisoned bolts. Personally I prefer to just poison it right away, then repoison it when the poison ran out. I didn't know that you can't poison it again once it's already poisoned. Thanks for the tip.

the random event article was decent. was not too preachy or insulting; you have your opinions which you stated.

i dont like random events because when i'm doing something i want to do what it is i'm doing; ie combat, teleporting, cutting a gem, banking, etc. going off to solve an npc's problem isnt what i want to do.

and if you drop a axe or pickaxe thinking they'll note your stuff and not teleport you; you're wrong. they will note your stuff AND teleport you; so not too smart to drop your axe or pickaxe.

something like a state of play would be nice for things they've mentioned long ago. i personally would have no problem at all with them completely removing all random events; and whatever bot technology or game feature they use to prevent bots is not my job; it's theirs; so they can come up with something and i'll be happy with it as long as it isnt as annoying or more annoying then what we have already.

the problem i see is maybe the "random event department at jagex" if there is one or whatever it is lobbys for more and more random events so they have something to work on... now of course their work is cut out for them; fixing the randoms. i am honestly kind of annoyed HOW LONG the problems with random events have gone on and not been fixed or altered or corrected; so i'm not really pleased with their work in that department; along with the fact the proposed changes have resulted in zero action, that we've seen, to date. so they need to get on top of this and take some action. random events are a real annoyance and almost part of how some people view runescape now. they are that bad.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

The most annoying of randoms or rather the one with the worst timing is the strange plant! While working on the puzzle in Monkey Madness I got the plant and just barely noticed it. In fact my sister saw first and yelled cause she was sitting there with me! Randoms that occur during combat are rather irritating. How am I supposed to click on the genie while I'm fighting a bronze dragon? I can't! and if it's that stupid frog random, you'll get teleported away if you can't answer. Well...how can I answer if I'm in the middle of combat! :wall:

If they want to keep randoms (I think we're all agreed that the genie and school are the best ones) then they should only occur when a player isn't engaged in combat or concentrating on things like puzzles. Monkey, Ictharins, and Lunar especially.

I agree with the writer of the article, 20gp rewards are a waste of time. If they are going to pull us away from training then make it worth being pulled away. I like the new articles. It's a nice break from training and gives me something else to think about and talk with my rl friends when we talk rs. =D>

akashasmommy.png

Elizabeth: There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.

Jack: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Do or do not - there is no try. "Yoda"

Good read =D> especialy the 1 about the random events.

[hide=]Whack_a_Mole_victor.gif[/hide]

Made me laugh hard :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rofl!!! :lol: I was adventurous once and went down that hole w/out runes to tele, a wep, armor - just cause I was curious. I went looking around at the adorable little moles all the while talking to a friend of mine who mentioned that there was a big one down there and be careful. Just then it walked over top my character. My heart dropped in my chest and i just left my character stand still thinking if I don't move it won't see me. Laughing my fool head off after it was over I tele lumby home cause my friend couldn't remember to tell me where the exit was. Duh! lol Ty for the article. Now I know what to do next time I get curious. ;)

akashasmommy.png

Elizabeth: There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.

Jack: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Do or do not - there is no try. "Yoda"

Once again I say "Well Done!!!" to them all. With that said, I do enjoy some of the random events. They do sometimes break up the monotony. It would be nice if they were a little more rewarding at higher levels. I can remember when 20 - 100 gp was something but now it is hardly spit in a bucket. I would also have to agree WAR RUNNING II was a little short the story is getting a bit more interesting.

* PEACE OOOUUUT

ksprite2.pngJonnyBeeKing

I liked the radnom event article and I agree completely!

I can't say anything about the Mole Hunting Guide because I'm F2P... but I read it and I think I could follow along.

The other story.... meh... not bad but not good either... It was OK.

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

My Blog: http://forum.tip.it/...el#entry3250508

My Forum entry: QFC - 48-49-627-63687284

i hate randoms so much...

i once got a sandwich lady while in combat with a steel dragon... that didnt go well -.-

i mean, who the hell bots at steel dragons anyway??? :wall:

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Somebody already picked up one point on the random article, The description of dropping an item and takeing advantage of the certers being outdated, as they now teleport you as well.

There is also a banking random, banking services provided by Leo the Gravedigger, the Mausoleum deposit box.

This is in regard to your "Randoms -Neglected" article.

I'm not sure If anyone has said this ,but there was a sticky on the rs forums about this shortly into 2008. Reading this article has jogged my memory of what exactly it said. Jagex said they were working on a method where you would be able to choose what reward you wanted from the randoms. For example you could get "Gene lamps" every time you got a random. Also that they were to totally let go of some of the older randoms like the one where the MOM just gives you an item. Lastly, and I'm not to sure on this one, they were to lower the amount of times they come out. Obviously the sticky is gone by now so as I can't credit this. This was MONTHS ago and really should be put into action by now because I think with PvP worlds the pvp problem is well taken care of.

Marceno2.gif

Marceno2.png

Guest LaTuaCantante

I completely agree with the Random Events article and hope that hey remove/improve most of them. While I like the genie and the book of knowledge random events. Dr.Jeckyll, Drunken Dwarf, Sandwich Lady, Evil Chicken, Cap N Hand, Strange Plant, Mysterious Old Man etc. etc. etc. are really starting to bug me lol I mean who needs a kebab and beer, sandwich, str pot (2), 20-40gp, chicken bones, feathers, raw chicken etc, I sure don't. I wouldn't mind random events if they weren't as often and were in fact "random", but when i'm spinning flax every 4-5 loads is a random event. I'm not a macro, i'm just trying to spin flax without having to run away from the evil chicken and swarms of bugs before I can actually get back to work. And even when the reward is a gem or something almost worth keeping, I have to drop flax from my invent to pick it up. Also, the costume randoms, once you have the full costume there's no point in those events, I don't need 30 frog tokens...

Whoa I rambled lol I really hope randoms are improved.

Regarding "Random Events - Still Neglected"

One major thing I would like to see removed from Randoms is the punishment for not finishing them "quickly" enough.

For example, a while ago I was playing, got a Jail random and didn't have time to finish it, so I logged out, figuring I'd just have to chase those annoying balloon animals next time. No biggie, right?

Wrong. The next time I was able to log in was a few days later, and I found that I didn't have to actually finish the event (nice!) but that nearly half of my skills had been reduced to 0! Why the hell do I have to wait over thirty minutes for my skills to recharge (or kill myself to get a quick-charge)?! Because circumstances worked against me and I wasn't able to finish one of Jagex's annoying, time-consuming and frankly laborious Random Events? I'm sorry, but bull****.

First off, I don't like Randoms in the first place; if I need a "break" from training, I know where the log-out button is and I know how to do other skills. I do not need some Random telling me it's time for a break.

Second, when I am training a skill, it's either for my enjoyment or to attain a particular goal, neither of which is helped when I'm whisked away to some lame Random event to help an obviously incompetent NPC accomplish some inane task that has nothing to do with what I want to do.

There are some good Randoms; the Lost and Found random is nice and the non-kidnapping randoms are mostly okay, but I'm sick and tired of having my very limited (and therefore precious) play time wasted by inane tasks with lame rewards, and then being punished when I don't have time to finish those said inane tasks.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Personally I like the drunken dwarf. It's just one click. And you get free food, which sometimes is actually quite helpful. The other one-click randoms I can live with as well.

The sandwich lady and similar randoms are annoying because you have to go through a dialogue. Which is impossible in many situations, such as doing metal dragons. I usually put the piety on, and hope I am done in time.

Other randoms such as the maze and pinball are reasonably ok. They tend to give decent awards. 5 grimy snapdragon herbs, 5 rubies/diamonds. feathers, arrows, chaos. That's quite ok. Annoying but you get something in return. And ironically they often help you to AFK. You are doing black demons in the chaos tunnels. You have been there so long that they stopped attacking you. You get taken to the maze. You do the maze and return and the black demons start attacking you automatically again. You can afk again.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Ah, randoms. Seems to me I mostly get the newer ones these days ... or, at least, one can hope.

Oh, and Jagex, of course, is well aware of the drawbacks. Remember this?

Niles.jpg

Perhaps a little more uproar on the Official Forums and they'll get around to delivering on their promise a tad sooner?

Retired Player Moderator - Light Arcana General

Egbert_O_Foo.png

Excellent article about randoms! =D>

I don't hate randoms, I just hate the rewards. The costumes are useless. And getting 20gp from the wise old man..wtf?

I totally agree with the author! :thumbup:

Norsken_2.png

Want to watch a high variety of Runescape videos on YouTube? Check out my channel!

http://www.YouTube.com/user/kyrosia

Barrow runs done so far: 14

Barrow drops so far: 0 (Working on it)

The Random Events article was well thought through, the story was entertaining.

The mole article was good except for one little thing. It tells you to poison the mole, but what has happened to me is that i poison it, it digs away, and the poison kills it before I can find it, so I don't get the loot. If you don't poison it, it will take longer to kill, but you will get the loot.

The Random Events article was well thought through, the story was entertaining.

The mole article was good except for one little thing. It tells you to poison the mole, but what has happened to me is that i poison it, it digs away, and the poison kills it before I can find it, so I don't get the loot. If you don't poison it, it will take longer to kill, but you will get the loot.

thats why it is important to have 52 summoning to kill the mole, and you must be ruynning around wierd, i can get around and see every spot in less than 45 sec by far, and the drops last a min...i think

Y_Z.png