Quick Question: Protection Prayer Strategy (Spot Protect)

PMega

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Hi guys,

I just have a simple question, as I ran a brief Search but couldn't find anything...

A while ago, I developed a method of using the Protection prayers, one which allows extended use against single-combat monsters with very slow depletion of prayer. This is basically accomplished by turning Protect on very briefly, just for the moment in which the enemy strikes, then immediately turning it off again. I have used this very often to save prayer and it seems to work great (for example, I just killed ~10 level-90 Dagganoths without taking damage; it cost me only 5 prayer points). Of course, there are some nuances and tips to the method that I have learned.

My question is: Has anyone else already figured out this strategy? If so, great. If not, and the strategy sounds like a useful discovery, please let me know, as I might be willing to write a brief guide (or even make a video!) on the subject. :thumbsup:

Thanks very much! ;)

Ehh, it wasn't that long ago when Jagex updated prayer so that you don't stop attacking. Previously you would stop attacking a monster when you turned a prayer on/off.

I really hated that.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Yeah, it's actually a pretty ancient strategy. It's official name as dubbed by players is prayer flashing. I use it at spectres mostly. Some gutsy players even use it at boss monsters. Problem is if you're timing is just slightly off, you'll take a powerful hit that is pretty much suicide. I don't know how people manage to prayer flash at bosses. Almost every boss has multiple attack styles; it's quite hard to manage your hp from his weaker hits (and/or minions if you're in gwd or kq) while keeping your prayer flashing to stop their massive hits.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Yeah, it's actually a pretty ancient strategy. It's official name as dubbed by players is prayer flashing. I use it at spectres mostly. Some gutsy players even use it at boss monsters. Problem is if you're timing is just slightly off, you'll take a powerful hit that is pretty much suicide. I don't know how people manage to prayer flash at bosses. Almost every boss has multiple attack styles; it's quite hard to manage your hp from his weaker hits (and/or minions if you're in gwd or kq) while keeping your prayer flashing to stop their massive hits.

You leave it on to heal... :P

Usually though, I flash piety at bosses most of the time, and then leave it on when I need to do inventory management or whatever. Saves quite a bit of prayer. This doesn't work out for soloing so much though, unless we're talking the kbd or something.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I use it quite often at Metal Dragons, and also at Waterfiends when I get very desperate. I have gone off it more recently, preferring to flash Piety instead - the extra damage output far exceeds the few points of prayer for protection... :thumbsup:

Some say that Jagex nerfed it, but I myself have managed an entire Metal Dragon task (melee) using only around 10-15 prayer points, the better your timing the more efficient it is.

(Its much harder for creatures like Waterfiends who have two types of attack, the timing gets messed up frequently)

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

yes, I would be very surprised if the thread maker was the only person to have thought up of flash pray.

I, personally, don't use it very much. My bro told me about flash praying, oh, about four months ago.

Arisaka, the Japanese rifle. O_o

Tell me, did any of you happen to kill a red spy on the way here? No? Then we still have a problem.

Yeah I remember doing this in rsc against black knights lol :D (good times camping in the room with the 2 black knights and an alter lol)

And yeah i use it mostly in burgg de rott ramble now. Can easily go there and back using half my prayer

i use piety flashing when not proteting

and prayer flashing really helps will getting avvys kc, for 40 avvy kills at 71 prayer and 90 range i take 2 doses of my super restores and take around 30 damage total from mis-timing (which i then heal from nice people giving me random swordies :) )

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

and prayer flashing really helps will getting avvys kc, for 40 avvy kills at 71 prayer and 90 range i take 2 doses of my super restores and take around 30 damage total from mis-timing (which i then heal from nice people giving me random swordies :) )

You should be able to get the kill count without using doses at all. I use around 2 doses when I am not prayer flicking.

2j3qh46.jpg

You should be able to get the kill count without using doses at all. I use around 2 doses when I am not prayer flicking.

ok lets make it clearer

to get the kc i use no doses :roll: but i have like 20 prayer points left. I brew up to max hp can go up then drinkmy 2 doses of restores. I tend to leave the prayer on for too long so that makes it go down as well.

btw why are like 90% of your posts unhelpful and proving you are a nasty annoying idiot, what help did your comment add to the thread.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

ok lets make it clearer

to get the kc i use no doses :roll: but i have like 20 prayer points left. I brew up to max hp can go up then drinkmy 2 doses of restores. I tend to leave the prayer on for too long so that makes it go down as well.

btw why are like 90% of your posts unhelpful and proving you are a nasty annoying idiot, what help did your comment add to the thread.

Well, that sure as hell makes it more clear. And I didn't say anything that makes me a nasty, annoying idiot. You are the one doing that now. And my comment added this: This says people do you use prayer flicking (although this was stated before).

2j3qh46.jpg

It's been here awhile, but it's surprising how many people don't use it.

It's been here awhile, but it's surprising how many people don't use it.

It's mostly because players are afraid that they will mistime their click and take damage. A very reasonable fear, I have mistakes like that all the time when I prayer flash at spectres and end up with 100% of the damage coming from my own mistakes.

Now for piety flashing, I'm not entirely sure about the timing but I like the idea. I'll need a bit of practice to get that down, but it will be very worth it at some monsters where damage isn't a huge issue and prayer isn't used.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.