The definition of a "noob"?

dtownboy

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

*This may or may not have been a prior topic discussion. I rummaged the forums for a bit and found nothing.

Now, on to the discussion.

Yes, the infamous words that we have been blasted with at least once in our RuneScape careers. This hadn't bothered me until a few days ago. This is me saying this after playing for 6 years, although my stats don't show it. (Socializing, Mini-games, Real life, 2 Retirements and an extremely low attention span :lol: )

Why? You ask? Well, if you would like to take a look at my in-game stats, they aren't HORRIBLE. Its not so much that i was called this, but what makes me think is, what is a noob? The term is thrown around too much, especially thrown in situations that don't necessarily pertain to me having no skills.

I was training fishing, one of my higher stats level-wise. And i fish lobsters for faster experience than gambling with a harpoon and being filled with mostly tuna. I get called a "noob", simply because i'm fishing lobbies.

Noob = Newb = New person correct?

Yes, it can be also be used to describe a person who simply doesn't know something in-game, but can you blame them? They are insulted, or at least intended to be insulted, and shooed away. But is it not human to not know something? Is it not human to ask questions? Simply because someone asks you where Keldagrim is doesn't mean you should laugh and say "Get away n00b".

Now, i understand it being used interjectionally with describing immature players or ones just being obnoxious and/or stupid. Especially recently with the unblocking of the words "[wagon]", "damn" and so on... and then being reported by younger players even when using it in a non-offensive manner (but that's a rant for another topic.)

Also, it can be used to all those low-level annoying players begging for "phr33 money pl0x" and slamming you with trade requests, just so they can level easily.. (yet another rant for another topic.)

So quintessentially, by examples used, its used to describe someone annoying and/or young.

This deviates from the definition.

So, who in their right mind use it to describe a near-70 fisher catching lobs? I don't misuse the word "[wagon]" and laugh like a little schoolgirl afterwards being i said a "bad" word. And i have my occasional questions about the game, be it the best spots for training skills or where an NPC is.

But this wouldn't be a discussion topic if I just kept going on with this, the questions are:

What IS a "n00b" in your opinion?

And is this term used stupidly and way too often?

dtownboy.png

chatscreen-1-1.jpg

Brawl Code: 1633-9644-2679 (always up for a battle! PM me.)

Noob = annoying person. If someone annoys you in any way, they are a 'noob'. It's lost that much meaning. Any time you do something the other person doesn't like, thus annoying them, they call you a noob. Newb and noob are totally seperate.

That being said, the best way to deal with it is to say 'k' then put them on your ignore list. With no reaction they soon stop.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Noob = Anyone with lower levels then you.

No Life = Anyone with higher levels then you.

As far as I see in RS, that seems to be the general consensus. Also, like compfreak said, ignore list is bliss.

:lol: Yes. I saw that on someone's signature somewhere around the forums. That IS a general consensus

And yes, it is bliss.

dtownboy.png

chatscreen-1-1.jpg

The word noob has been so misconstrued throughout the years, it's something that can't be given any serious treatment these days. I can't possibly see anyone being even slightly insulted by that word anymore :P

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I wasn't necessarily offended by it, i laughed at the fact that i was called one, because the player was a lower level.

It has been miscontrued very much.

Just felt like posting an open discussion on how you would use it and how you feel towards it

(It's my first topic post, and it ain't looking pretty :lol: )

dtownboy.png

chatscreen-1-1.jpg

noob it's just a random word that people could take as an insult since they don't actually know what it means, like the rest of all the "bad" words

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

Noob in the general rs terminology can mean many things:

1) Anyone who has better stats than you

2) Anyone who has worse stats than you

3) Anyone who likes different aspects of the game to you

4) Anyone who asks you for help or advice

5) Anyone who generally speaks to you

6) Anyone who is already online at a training spot when you log in

Basically in rs terms a noob is anyone and anything that is not you.

The word has no meaning anymore

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Noob is an insult used as a term to signal jealousy and envy; "Omg u have a mith scimmy, noob!" "Noob, i have money, gtfo my spot". In a similar manner it can be used as synonymes to both Failiure and idiot; "Lol noob.. Ure doin' it wrong!" "She's such a noob". As the poster below stated, it's also an attitude; "he was being a noob so i put him on ignore". Other uses of the word Noob includes Greetings; "hey/bye noob =]"; A generalization; "i saw this lvl 30 Noob with phat and he said he played since the start"; A pure insult "Ffs N00b U ***** Get Lif3 I K0 U Any Day!!1one". The word Noob is short for, and originated from the word Newb, wich literally means a new player, or someone who does'nt know something. The proper way to deal with these people are to politley answer their questions and guide them off the road to litteral destruction.

Other variants of Noob.

N00b

Nub

Nab

Naab

Nuub

NQQb

Neeb

Naib

Nieeb

Naub

Nahb

Zezima

noob is an attitude, and used if someone is annoying, immature, or being a general idiot #-o

newb is just a new player, that hopefully grows up and trains there intelligence once in a while :pray:

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

yeah that pretty much sums it up. noobs will call other ppl noobs in order to feel better about themselves. i get called noob alot when i kill some whiny kid, just dont let it get to yah, ok? ::'

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

n00b is just slang for Newbie. No difference. End of discussion.

Yep, that sums it up.

No, there is no difference between "newb" and "n00b". Everyone has their own personal definition on it, thus destroying any credibility of the multitude of meanings for it. Now I could go on and on about how the ease with which people call others newbs has destroyed much of its original meaning, but thats for another day.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

The definition of a "noob"?

noob = new player

froob = f---ing rich new player

choob = c--k hugging new player

The Knowledge Base would disagree... :

Choob = Joke word for a high level who acts like a noob

Froob = Noob so new that they haven't left Lumbridge

Noob = New player

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewarti ... le_id=2584

I personally believe "noob" or "nub" is nothing like new player, although it used to be. It now refers to someone immature, insulting, rude or nasty in their manner and attitude - Generally bad people.

Newb is acceptable in our society, as you dont know any better! :thumbsup:

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

A noob is a [developmentally delayed]ed person.

If you call someone a noob then you automatically ARE a noob for using such a stupid phrase -.-

I was walking into Varrok. I got called a noob. WTH? People seriously overuse this word and I despise the use of it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

A noob is a [developmentally delayed] person.

If you call someone a noob then you automatically ARE a noob for using such a stupid phrase -.-

I was walking into Varrok. I got called a noob. WTH? People seriously overuse this word and I despise the use of it.

Noob.

Zerker_jane.png

A noob is a [developmentally delayed] person.

Thats what i was getting to, it personally didn't make me logg off and cry, it just made me think, i was like "Hey, I haven't noticed it on the forums, let's discuss this"

J3su5...

:lol: i loved that strip, very true.

dtownboy.png

chatscreen-1-1.jpg