F2P Mage and range underpowered

quelmotz

Peace offering to appease the stuipd whiners. Jagex is smart enough to realize that magic is overpowered, even if some of the whinny younger players aren't experienced enough to recognize it. Us more intelligent users use it and laugh as our opponents struggle helplessly.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put words in Jagex's mouth if I were you, Compfreak.

Why not? Every company puts out marketing BS, this isn't something unique to Jagex.

EDIT: Also, realize that by magic, he could mean F2P magic, which may be in need of more attention than P2P magic.

Possible, they might up the requirements of current spells and add a few higher level ones. They're smart enough that the only update to PTP magic would be a nerf, which it certainly needs.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Only the future can answer our questions with certainty :D . For me, that future does not look so bad - Indeed, higher level spells would be nice.

They would be helpful, but they better nerf the low level spells drastically first.

DeviledEgg24.png

Peace offering to appease the stuipd whiners. Jagex is smart enough to realize that magic is overpowered, even if some of the whinny younger players aren't experienced enough to recognize it. Us more intelligent users use it and laugh as our opponents struggle helplessly.

As long as magic gets better im happy.

O.O

Low level would get nerfed, high level would get a small boost, PTP would get a massive nerf. Since you are a low level FTP, initially it would be bad for you, but it would give you something to work for. As a high level PTP, it would be bad for me but good for the game overall as a balancing act.

DeviledEgg24.png

Low level would get nerfed, high level would get a small boost, PTP would get a massive nerf. Since you are a low level FTP, initially it would be bad for you, but it would give you something to work for. As a high level PTP, it would be bad for me but good for the game overall as a balancing act.

:shock:

Why would they make magic WORSE if they say its underpowered.

I'm PTP, by the way.

O.O

:shock:

Why would they make magic WORSE if they say its underpowered.

I'm PTP, by the way.

Two possible reasons or both:

#1, FTP high level is slightly underpowered

#2, It's the standard cooperate BS.

Gonna go with #2. If it's "people with large cerebrums", they'll realize how unbalanced magic has made the game and (hopefully) nerf it to bring it in line with other combat styles.

DeviledEgg24.png

Low level would get nerfed, high level would get a small boost, PTP would get a massive nerf.

I don't care if low level magic gets a nerf; it is quite overpowered.

High level magic not only needs a "small" boost, it needs a reasonably large boost of better spells. Look. f2p mage maxes out at level 59, and the only incentive of getting higher level magic is lower fail rate (not even significant decrease anyway) and the ability to show off your magic level in the highscores/to noobs.

I don't care about P2P mage since I'm f2p. Still, it is not necessary to state that P2P mage needs a massive nerf in a thread clearly titled "f2p mage (and range) underpowered" :roll: :roll: .

I don't care if low level magic gets a nerf; it is quite overpowered.

High level magic not only needs a "small" boost, it needs a reasonably large boost of better spells. Look. f2p mage maxes out at level 59, and the only incentive of getting higher level magic is lower fail rate (not even significant decrease anyway) and the ability to show off your magic level in the highscores/to noobs.

As low level magic is quite overpowered, bumping up the requirements for the spells to 75 or 80 would solve the mid range, and adding in one more set of spells at the high end completely fixes it.

I don't care about P2P mage since I'm f2p. Still, it is not necessary to state that P2P mage needs a massive nerf in a thread clearly titled "f2p mage (and range) underpowered" :roll: :roll: .

A considerable amount of debate in this thread has dealt with PTP magic, as it goes hand in hand with FTP. I find it completely on topic and worth posting.

DeviledEgg24.png

So, how exactly to the Lunar, and Ancient Spellbooks pertain to the limited subset of F2P spells in the normal spellbook?

I think you'll find the accuracy of a wave spell is different than the accuracy of a blast spell, is different than the accuracy of a rush or blitz or whatever spell.

No matter how you solve the level requirements for Magic, there is still the problem with the combat triangle in general: Mage and Range max out much earlier than Melee, therefore giving an inherent disadvantage to Melee. One could argue that the cost of Mage and Range overcomes this, but you've argued time and time again that cost isn't a factor for "most maxed out players" - which still leaves us, combat triangle is off balanced anyway you look at it.

The only way to solve these problems:

1. Level requirements versus max hits and accuracy for each should be relatively the same.

2. Cost should be the same.

3. On end of the triangle should beat another, while losing to the other side, CONSISTENTLY.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

So, how exactly to the Lunar, and Ancient Spellbooks pertain to the limited subset of F2P spells in the normal spellbook?

Because they are all examples of magic spells used in RS combat, with a cost vs. damage factor and virtually identical effects - freezing and dealing damage being the main points.

I think you'll find the accuracy of a wave spell is different than the accuracy of a blast spell, is different than the accuracy of a rush or blitz or whatever spell.

I don't "think" it, I KNOW it. Higher requs = lower accuracy.

No matter how you solve the level requirements for Magic, there is still the problem with the combat triangle in general: Mage and Range max out much earlier than Melee, therefore giving Melee an inherent disadvantage to Melee. One could argue that the cost of Mage and Range overcomes this, but you've argued time and time again that cost isn't a factor for "most maxed out players" - which still leaves us, combat triangle is off balanced anyway you look at it.

The only way to solve these problems:

1. Level requirements versus max hits and accuracy for each should be relatively the same.

2. Cost should be the same.

3. On end of the triangle should beat another, while losing to the other side, CONSISTENTLY.

What? Like I said, a set of expensive, high level elemental spells and boosting of the lower reqs handily solves that problem.

DeviledEgg24.png

Magic wasen't made for combat in PVP.

It doesn't matter what it was made for, the point is that it is currently designed to be used in PVP - and the point is that it is far too good at it for anything but high level FTP.

DeviledEgg24.png

Magic wasen't made for combat in PVP.

Yeah? You want to challenge Jagex on that? They clearly stated that magic was supposed to be boosted in power and it should be considered an individual part of the combat triangle, not a stupid support skill, when the made RS2.

Frankly, I'm sick of noobs saying mage is supposed to be a support skill or mage wasn't meant for pvp or other stuff. Mage is just a waste of money while fighting with monsters other than bosses/in a team. It is weak in f2p pvp but who says it WASN'T made for it. Therefore, we have a right to demand that jagex improves f2p mage. Seriously, why can't those noobs let go of their melee and look at the severely crooked triangle?

Jagex clearly wants the triangle balanced, so its clear not only made skilling.

Why would they give combat level to what you seem to think is a non combat skill.

Plus, why are ancients so feared in clan wars, castle wars, and why do people get so annoyed when they get farcasted in pvp, why is teleblock deadly.

Magic, is meant for fighting as well as skilling.

Also, ice blitz is UNBELIEVABLY common in pvp, as is wave spells, teleblock, and snare for people without ancients.

Rushing just dosent work as well without mage =D.

O.O

Seriously, why can't those noobs let go of their melee and look at the severely crooked triangle?

A "crooked triangle" wouldn't be a triangle. I thought it would be a polygon.

Magic is one of the most useful and versatile skills within RuneScape. Once you have learnt to use it properly, you'll find that it complements many other skills within the game, while also acting as an incredibly powerful tool in its own right.

There are two sides to Magic: combat and non-combat. The use of Magic in a fight may be vital in gaining the upper hand and ultimate victory. Outside of combat, Magic can be used to teleport around RuneScape quickly, used in combination with other skills, or even for making money out of items you have obtained or made yourself.

-This is from the Jagex manual on magic. These paragraphs clearly states that magic is NOT supposed to be a supporting skill although it can be used that way.

The only spell that was made for PVP and is used is vengance, and look at the spells that are skilling wise compared to combat wise, and there is a spellbook full of skilling spells(Lunar)

What on earth are you talking about? Explain how Ancient Magicks can be used for skilling. The damage to cost ratio is far worse then regular spellbook, and the special effects are useless for training, so it's quite obvious its not meant to train. It's completely geared for PVP. It would be wise to try things before bashing -.-

DeviledEgg24.png

If anything, I would say that mage is overpowered, especially in FOG, where on F2P, I routinely get owned by mages several combat levels lower than me. As for ranged, I find that if a ranger is 5-10 combat levels higher than me, I'm as good as dead, otherwise, it depends on how close we are.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

^Not really. Mage is ridiculously weak at your combat level. And most rangers you'll face probably have 90+ range to your 70 attack and strength.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

^Not really. Mage is ridiculously weak at your combat level. And most rangers you'll face probably have 90+ range to your 70 attack and strength.

Of course it is. And if he was 99 range and 25 attack and strength, he would find melee grossly underpowered at his combat level. You have to go off the combat level of the skills used, not the total combat level. That's why I fight in the 100 range when testing range tanking.

DeviledEgg24.png