PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

while web adverts are obvious, how do you intend for a system to pick up when swearing is bad enough and when something is racist? Ignoring cases of obvious words, these things would be very hard to pick up without a very sensitive sensor that would end up getting a lot of players a lot of black marks.

Start with the obvious first and get a working model going. More intricate coding than the example above obviously.

btw that joke wasnt funny

Aww come on it was. Admit it you smirked! \'

secondly, the reason mods get priority reports is that jagex has seen "proof" their reports are more likely to be accurate. Lets assume not every report gets read since it seems very unlikely, doesnt it make sense for jagex to start with the batch that is likely to be nearly perfect?

If I pay the same money as you, I would expect the same treatment. Its only fair.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I like the 'mindless report button' quote. Isn't that classed as a wannabe mod?

No, it isn't. What, do you honestly think that players will become mods by indiscriminately reporting anything they see? That's ridiculous and simply not true.

Again, if players are offended by conversations with the word 'sucks' in it that have other connotations then I'm sure players are quite capable of reporting the offensive material themselves and placing the player on their ignore list. Its not rocket science is it? Instead of relaxing on certain words, Jagex should shore it up so there are no discrepancies.

Human judgement isn't always the best thing in many cases. What one mod sees as acceptable another may not, and mods are in no way the great things they are made out to be. And yes some are more corrupt than others, whether people like to hear it or not. You think a mod would report his friends if they acted irresponsibly during the game?

This will always be the way so its in no way foolproof method as it is. No an autoreport would not be 100% correct, but if its fairly robust in its design it takes it one step further. The only reason that mods are against it is because it at least partially removes them from the equation.

Autoreporting would be unnecessary. We have something called the censor that already neuters offensive phrases. An autoreporting function would only catch words that are already censored, and that would be pointless. And if they can make the autoreporter detect censor evasions, the obvious solution would be to give that ability to the censor...not create a whole new waste of time.

Where are my baseless generalisations when even those who are against me have conceded points along the line?

They're still baseless generalizations, that's where.

As far as talking to player mods is concerned, I've talked to plenty. You would know this if you read.

Reading what you've written gives me much more cause not to believe you, as I've never seen a player mod acting the way you portray them.

I don't feel I need to associate with people who got their status by reporting others.

They get their status primarily by being a helpful and polite member of the community whose abuse reports have all been accurate and fair.

I've got better things to do with my time. I'm certainly no angel, but I don't believe any that police the game are either. I don't think I'm making 'stupid assumptions' when I know how these players get their status.

Except you don't know how these players get their status.

*Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

The crown isn't there to be a status symbol. It's to prevent mod impersonation. If players do view it as a status symbol, it's hardly the fault of the mod in question.

*Why give status to people who will gleefully report others - In my mind you get status for hard work, not at the expense of others (PVP excepted). I find this 'looking for trouble' element of it distasteful as it encourages players to snitch, rather than use common sense.

Yes, gleefully report others who are breaking the rules. That's why the reporting system exists. And if it turns out the reports are false, well, they're not likely to become a mod, are they?

*Why do they insist on giving lectures to players instead of fact? When a mod is around it is permanently littered with mod chat.

False.

*Why, when questioned about how they got their modship do they instantly tele or block a player? - Something to be scared of?

False.

*Why get shirty with players like myself who will disagree with a mods knowledge, yet threaten to mute me for it because I dare to disagree. Happened on more than one occasion. I don't need to be told off like a child or spoken to as if I don't know what I'm doing.

Threaten to mute you because you were breaking the rules, I imagine. If you saw a mod abusing their power, then the proper course of action would have been to report them for it. As it stands, unless you have provided a transcript of this incident, I'm not inclined to be sympathetic to you.

You're not exactly good at dealing with people or critisism are you? Obviously you won't hold onto your modship for long during the game as your superiority complex doesn't bode well.

I act differently in the game, seeing as tip it is slightly more relaxed than runescape.

As for the auto reporting system, until the current censor has it's bugs smoothed out, there is no point in starting another project when the current one doesn't work properly. I've said this twice, I'm not going to say it again.

You still haven't addressed the clients that will undoubtedly be made with the auto reporting taken out.

You didn't really answer the question, but I am assuming you wouldn't go off at the general for kicking the spammer. Why go off at me and not the general?

You also fail to acknowledge the fact that not everybody shares your opinions, especially regarding asking people to stop swearing.

Firstly, I have never had anybody complain when I asked somebody to stop swearing - quite the opposite. I tend to get thanked for it.

Secondly, most people will agree I am doing them a favor by asking them to stop rather than just report. (and sometimes mute) I know I would appreciate a warning before getting black marks.

Thirdly, you keep ignoring the fact that if people want to cuss at each other, they have the pm system.

Its also fine to have the two tier system for reporting, where non-mods are treated second class in reporting? Tell that the the gaming population who pay gaming fees then.

If you pay or not, you still get to report. I guess that voids your argument then.

It's a shame that a lot of people (both p2p and f2p) seem to just report for no reason. It shows down the already poor customer support. Here's an idea, what about if jagex looks for mature players in game, who report for the right reasons? They could call them "player moderators" and make their reports priority, because they have proven themselves to be mature and to report properly. Oh wait...

See, whether the player you reported get's punished in a few hours or a couple days doesn't really matter. It doesn't even matter for player mods. The reason why we do get priority reports, is to make things a little more efficient.

I don't feel I need to associate with people who got their status by reporting others.

I barely reported anybody before I got player mod, I only ever reported if I really thought it was disrupting the game. Phishing site advertisers, people evading the sensor etc. I probably report people a little more often now, but that is because I chat in clan chats so I am constantly in a popular area.

Before I got invited, all I really did was be mature, help people and report occasionally. (maybe twice a week depending on whether I was in populated areas or not)

Oh yeah, about your human judgment issues: Mods have a very detailed reporting guideline to follow, if we don't follow this guideline closely we get told off and possibly demodded. There goes that idea.

If I don't post anything after your illogical reply it probably means I got tired of repeating myself, which is what I seem to be doing.

The most simple solution is to build a dictionary. Assume it is filled with common swear words. Works on the same principle as the censor. For easyness sake at this point, I shall assume the offender uses spaces and I'll keep the coding simple and a little elongated. A simple example of the coding would be:

Initialise dictionary

When enter pressed //user presses enter after typing

read line of text //program reads in the line of text user typed.

While not end of line of text //loop until the end of the line of text

.......While character not space //nested loop until it detects a space

...........Set word + character //takes the character and place in word

...........Move along 1 character//moves along 1 character

.......End when character = space//the word is complete

.......If word = word in dictionary Then

.......Submit priority report

End when at end of line of text//repeats the while not loop until it detects the end of the line.

Apologies if you spot any flaws but it is a simple example and to be honest its late and I'm tired. Obviously a more intricate version of this would be needed and although I program I'm not always 100% efficient.

This wouldn't work. Do you know why there is a chat filter? Do you know what the chat filter's purpose is? Remember how buggy that chat filter is?

What you're proposing is putting that chat filter back into place, except instead of making asterisks, it sends reports to jagex.

The reason why an automated reporting system, exactly like the one you're proposing, would never work is because it cannot understand any context.

The old chat filter would try to filter out any .com, any www, websites, etc. The people that run the gold selling sites still got around this.

The old filter would censor out random individual, innocent letters for apparently no reason. The new one doesn't, but it also lets stuff through like f***less, sans the asterisks.

If jagex hasn't got their chat filter right yet, how can you expect them to make an auto report thing?

And racism is a very subjective thing too -- I could tell you a hundred pollack jokes or a hundred dumb blonde jokes, or a hundred dead baby jokes, or a thousand mexican/black/asian/jew or whatever jokes, and you'd be laughing so long as you weren't in any of those categories. How easy is it to replace letters in words to make it say the same thing, but the characters are much different? There's about a million times more words jagex has to bleep out with all the alt codes, and changing a g to a q to say Niqqer deserves an automute that an auto reporting system couldn't do as well as a player mod.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Another section with a few posts so Ill deal with each one in turn:

Troacctid

When you comment about basesless generalisations, try to read before you comment. The goody-two-shoes element of this post have conceded various points throughout. Dont read a few posts then think youre clued up as to what is going on.

Whether you believe me or not is your prerogative. Ive given the facts so its up to you to take them at face value. If you dont want to then fine go somewhere else. No loss.

There is no dispute on this forum (which most agree and dont deny!) that there are mods who get modship for status, via the crown. All thats up in the air are the numbers. I know how they get their status because I have ASKED some of them (again READ!)

Oh and by the way if youd READ the post, Im no rule breaker and I dont encourage others to do it.

Iamdan aka Judge Dredd

Hope you like your new name. Should make you feel that bit more powerful on here away from the mute button.

So you act differently in the game? Why doesnt that surprise me. Does a fake persona make you more favourable in game, or you afraid of what players might really see?

Who said anything about clients? You did as you made the assumption that I meant client software. I said client side. This could easily be implemented in in-game code, putting to reports to a server only if it needs to. Its only checking strings so it doesnt require a high amount of processing from the client pc.

Oh speaking of assumptions you also assumed I had no programming knowledge either so it goes to show how good your assumptions are. You failed to address that you were wrong on this issue so Ive put you right. Try coming down off your high-horse a little as this is not RS.

As far as CC kicking is concerned, its the generals choice to kick out, as its HIS CC not YOURS. Its just another chance to do the I am the law routine because you decide that you know best. Its the same with you telling players what to do. Ive been told a number of times on this thread that players should be reported/muted. So do it. Its just an excuse to broadcast to everyone that youre a mod and you want us all to know it.

Scuse me? Ignoring? Many of you seem to have forgotten there is an ignore button which Ive mentioned that people can do. But then you only deal with points that you can answer. Obviously common sense solutions like putting players on ignore is an alien concept to you. You have also not read the post I said about having my reports treated along the same priority so it doesnt void the argument at all. What youre saying is that moderators reports deserve priority because you guys do it so well (Smirk!). You may think this is a good thing to treat other players as second class in having their reports checked but I dont.

So if you have guidelines can we see them please as this is specifically for you guys? After all if players are to be judged by these guidelines then its right we should see them.

Illogical reply?....oh yes I forgot you like getting your own way.

sees_all1

You couldnt even reply properly to the last post I answered to, so dont come back riding on the arguments others have put forward because you couldnt think of any of your own.

You also have a real problem if you think those jokes would be funny, and WAY over the top in your example.

why shouldnt mods get priority reports?

since your basis is how much we pay why do ftpers have the right to report? They arent paying for it afterall :roll:

ignore the crown and everything while we consider this part of modship priority reports

anyone who has earned modship has at the very least sent in a good amount of accurate reports correct? Whether or not they were hunting isnt important, they have proven they know how to report what is rulebreaking(even if they may be overly strict) but they are reporting rule breaking. A player that has not gained modship has not gained(to the extent of a mod) proof that they are capable of making good reports. Does it not make sense that before going into the general report bin that jagex should take the pile out of the proven good reporter bin? If your not capable of seeing the logic here I really cant explain it.

lets use an analogy actually

your mining for gold and there are two streams

stream a has given you record breaking amounts of gold for the past 5 days and has shown no sign of slowing down this profit

stream b has never been searched for gold

which stream would you start with if you wanted to make the most money?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

sees_all1

You couldnt even reply properly to the last post I answered to, so dont come back riding on the arguments others have put forward because you couldnt think of any of your own.

You also have a real problem if you think those jokes would be funny, and WAY over the top in your example.

If I recall correctly, I was the last one to make a point, and I went unanswered. I'm not going to look back, because either way it shouldn't matter.

Reread my previous post. I never said the jokes were funny. Where did I say "I think these type of jokes are funny" ???

They might be "WAY over the top" - but its to get my point across. You don't seem to understand the points I make, or even respond to them.

Now, back to what you haven't addressed:

-An auto report system developed by Jagex would be impossible.

-Even if Jagex could develop that "auto report system" that you dreamed up, it would be horribly inaccurate and worse than it is right now.

New issues that I've thought of:

-You think that Player Mods are "out to get everyone". How is your auto report system different? In fact, I think its worse. Someone mining all alone, who wants to try out the A Q P W thing with no one around shouldn't be muted, just like someone who was curious about the mu thing, who went to a secluded area, where there was no one else, tried it out... etc.

-Why would Jagex make an auto-report system like that if they could instead just bleep it out? Instead of preying on its own players, why not just protect them from themselves?

[sarcasm]And why I'm on that point, why don't we only make it so that players can only use Quick Chat? That way, there's no way anyone could be abusive during chat, or we won't have any need for these player moderators anymore?[/sarcasm]

♪♪ And I'm not done

hmm how do i put this.... i have reported TONS AND FRIKIN TONS OF PPLZ since 2000.

Including some of my firends.

I have banned 45 accs. and temp banned 30. Others I dont know because the people didint tell me or quit rs.

now after all that

I am not a player mod.

as opposed to my friend who reported a spammer just when a JMOD happpened to be passing by.

And after some asskising with the mod. He Is now a PMOD

Please tell me jagex how is that fair..

there

my mini-rant on PMODS

-its all about the status

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

why shouldnt mods get priority reports?

since your basis is how much we pay why do ftpers have the right to report? They arent paying for it afterall :roll:

ignore the crown and everything while we consider this part of modship priority reports

anyone who has earned modship has at the very least sent in a good amount of accurate reports correct? Whether or not they were hunting isnt important, they have proven they know how to report what is rulebreaking(even if they may be overly strict) but they are reporting rule breaking. A player that has not gained modship has not gained(to the extent of a mod) proof that they are capable of making good reports. Does it not make sense that before going into the general report bin that jagex should take the pile out of the proven good reporter bin? If your not capable of seeing the logic here I really cant explain it.

lets use an analogy actually

your mining for gold and there are two streams

stream a has given you record breaking amounts of gold for the past 5 days and has shown no sign of slowing down this profit

stream b has never been searched for gold

which stream would you start with if you wanted to make the most money?

Why should you? You're saying your word is better than any other player just because they havent got mod status? F2p I have no problem with reporting. No report should be treated any better than other in my book. All you're doing is stating that mods are always right in their reports and the rest of the playing population are questionable.

Whether they are hunting is important. Hence why else do it? Status!

If Jagex encourage players to report they should take them ALL seriously. Granted there may be some rubbish in the pile, but you can't state that mods send in 100% correct reports either.

Oh and here's some logic if we are playing this game again, it pays for a company to listen to ALL their players, not just a select few. Its called customer service.

sees_all1

If I recall correctly, I was the last one to make a point, and I went unanswered. I'm not going to look back, because either way it shouldn't matter.

Reread my previous post. I never said the jokes were funny. Where did I say "I think these type of jokes are funny" ???

They might be "WAY over the top" - but its to get my point across. You don't seem to understand the points I make, or even respond to them.

Now, back to what you haven't addressed:

-An auto report system developed by Jagex would be impossible.

-Even if Jagex could develop that "auto report system" that you dreamed up, it would be horribly inaccurate and worse than it is right now.

New issues that I've thought of:

-You think that Player Mods are "out to get everyone". How is your auto report system different? In fact, I think its worse. Someone mining all alone, who wants to try out the A Q P W thing with no one around shouldn't be muted, just like someone who was curious about the mu thing, who went to a secluded area, where there was no one else, tried it out... etc.

-Why would Jagex make an auto-report system like that if they could instead just bleep it out? Instead of preying on its own players, why not just protect them from themselves?

[sarcasm]And why I'm on that point, why don't we only make it so that players can only use Quick Chat? That way, there's no way anyone could be abusive during chat, or we won't have any need for these player moderators anymore?[/sarcasm]

Lmao you expected me to answer that, when only covered a tiny portion in your reply? Seemed to me you were waving the white flag there.

You said in your last post

I could tell you a hundred pollack jokes or a hundred dumb blonde jokes, or a hundred dead baby jokes, or a thousand mexican/black/asian/jew or whatever jokes, and you'd be laughing so long as you weren't in any of those categories.'

Well, I don't think I'd be laughing at all as I'm not in any of these categories and I don't find it funny to post this stuff. Theres making a point and then theres taking it too far.

An autoreport system is by far no way impossible. A big job maybe but not impossible. If it was it would not have been implemented elsewhere. Certainly for the moment I think Jagex is more concerned with losing its player base and trying to be more responsive in how it deals with players.

If an autoreport system stopped the need for the status hunters then I'd be for it. Considering many of you are of the reporting kind I would have though you would favour this. I get more of an impression that anything that anything that threatens a mods in-game status scares people more. Either that or your a rule breaker. Take your A Q thing. Im told that rules are rules and everyone should be reported for breaking them. So if this guy is breaking the rules while mining then so be it.

Ok lets take your point of a bleep out system then. If this is done and it bleeps out the correct things and protects players from themselves that........allieviates the need for mods..........Ok I'm for that. After all once the system worked in the proper manner it would stop the status hunters dead in their tracks as the system would take care of things in a lot of respects. Reports would be less, Mods would go right down. Spot on!

hmm how do i put this.... i have reported TONS AND FRIKIN TONS OF PPLZ since 2000.

Including some of my firends.

I have banned 45 accs. and temp banned 30. Others I dont know because the people didint tell me or quit rs.

now after all that

I am not a player mod.

as opposed to my friend who reported a spammer just when a JMOD happpened to be passing by.

And after some asskising with the mod. He Is now a PMOD

Please tell me jagex how is that fair..

there

my mini-rant on PMODS

-its all about the status

Well at least you're honest enough to admit this. Shame some of the other posters arent. :thumbup:

Why should you? You're saying your word is better than any other player just because they havent got mod status? F2p I have no problem with reporting. No report should be treated any better than other in my book. All you're doing is stating that mods are always right in their reports and the rest of the playing population are questionable.

Whether they are hunting is important. Hence why else do it? Status!

If Jagex encourage players to report they should take them ALL seriously. Granted there may be some rubbish in the pile, but you can't state that mods send in 100% correct reports either.

Oh and here's some logic if we are playing this game again, it pays for a company to listen to ALL their players, not just a select few. Its called customer service.

You said players that pay the same should get the same report priority. Stating ftp should be allowed the same priority on reports conflicts with this and is very hypocritical :shame:

Im not saying that my opinion is perfect, or that any mod always makes perfect reports. The point is even without the status reports from players such as myself would have priority because we have shown a pattern of good reporting. If there was a feasible way for jagex to set up priority reporting on other levels then mod non mod it would be an awesome thing, but theoreticals arent relevant to reality.

if a player is report hunting they most likely wont earn modship(see that post you quoted about how honest he was being). Report hunting is a completely seperate problem from priority reporting, jagex is concerened with trends of who the better reports are by, not how they came about them. I already addressed that report hunting is problamatic, but its hardly relevant to a discussion on prioritizing mod reports.

jagex does take every report seriously, but there are technical limitations. If they cant guarentee they will be able to get around to checking every report why wouldnt they start with the ones more likely to be good?

yes they should listen to every player, Im showing you why it makes sense to check certain players(mods or non mods shown to report well) because if someone usually makes a better quality of report it stands to reason that checking their posts first will deal with more rule breakers in less time.

A mod is not going to get away with many bad reports before they lose modship status. Since they are held to a high standard of reporting jagex can be sure that checking mod reports first will either lead to a very high ratio of good reports, or evidence a mod needs to lose his privilidges.

awteno.jpg

Ok lets take your point of a bleep out system then. If this is done and it bleeps out the correct things and protects players from themselves that........allieviates the need for mods..........Ok I'm for that. After all once the system worked in the proper manner it would stop the status hunters dead in their tracks as the system would take care of things in a lot of respects. Reports would be less, Mods would go right down. Spot on!

Have you ever read the book 1984 by George Orwell?

It depicts a distopian society, where there is censorship everywhere, to the point were historical texts were changed to reflect recent events - where there was Big Brother - pretty much the government that was suspicious of everyone.

A new language was invented - called DoubleSpeak. DoubleSpeak took current ideas and concepts and put them into single, mashed together words.

Anyhow, the point of DoubleSpeak was to make treason impossible because people couldn't even think it, DoubleSpeak wouldn't allow it.

To make this relevant - Quick Chat is DoubleSpeak. Quick Chat makes it impossible to cuss, but it also makes it impossible to communicate effectively. Quick Chat is the easily implemented solution to your problem, not any auto-reporting thing.

[hide=Here's more reasons why your idea would fail]It's impossible to get the context of words through programming. Here are a few things an auto report system would fail at:

Damn it, I just died because of that noob.

You're a damn noob.

And he said to me "God Damn that's smoking hot"

God Damn you're smoking hot.

You're a Fat [wagon].

I have a fat [wagon].

It was a fat sea bass.

I sea your b.[wagon].

I want to split your plateskirt with my 2h sword.

I'm selling a plateskirt with a 2h sword.

The firetruck was neon green.

The firefruck was neon green.

The firef**k was neon green.

Hot smoking love is called firef**k.

A Q, P W, are the answers to the cryptoquip

A Q P, W, makes a male organ.

That's kickass, I didn't know you could do that.

I'll kick your [wagon].

Looks like he's trying to kill himself.

He should just kill himself, no one wants him.[/hide]

Anyhow - to get back to the title of this thread, and the debate.

"PMods - Purpose or Status?" I believe this is asking the same thing as "Professional Athletes: Skilled or Over-Compensated?"

Purpose and Status, like Skills and Over-Compensated are not mutually exclusive.

A Player moderator has purpose, and has status, like a professional athlete is skilled, and is over-compensated.

A general statement I'm inclined to agree with - All player moderators have status. True - the nature of moderation in itself, with or without stars, indicates status.

Here's a question though - what if there was a player moderator who never said anything, so that there was no way to tell if they were a moderator or not?

Would that player, in others eyes, still have status? If there was absolutely no way to tell if a player was a moderator or not, it would be impossible to determine their status, and therefore they wouldn't have status (as far as in other player's eyes).

Now - you can make the argument that there are individual player moderators that don't serve a purpose, just like I could make the argument that there are pro athletes that aren't highly skilled. Taking a macroscopic view, player moderators serve a purpose, just like pro athletes are skilled. It would be foolish and ignorant to make the generic statement, "moderators serve no purpose".

If you understand what I'm saying, then I have nothing left to say. If you can't understand what I'm saying, I'm wasting my time here. If you refuse to understand what I'm saying, you've got bigger problems, and arguing with you is unlikely to change your opinion.

♪♪ And I'm not done

It depicts a distopian society, where there is censorship everywhere, to the point were historical texts were changed to reflect recent events - where there was Big Brother - pretty much the government that was suspicious of everyone.

A new language was invented - called DoubleSpeak. DoubleSpeak took current ideas and concepts and put them into single, mashed together words.

Anyhow, the point of DoubleSpeak was to make treason impossible because people couldn't even think it, DoubleSpeak wouldn't allow it.

To make this relevant - Quick Chat is DoubleSpeak. Quick Chat makes it impossible to cuss, but it also makes it impossible to communicate effectively. Quick Chat is the easily implemented solution to your problem, not any auto-reporting thing.

[hide=Here's more reasons why your idea would fail]It's impossible to get the context of words through programming. Here are a few things an auto report system would fail at:

You're a damn noob.

You're a Fat [wagon].

I have a fat [wagon].

It was a fat sea bass.

I sea your b.[wagon].

I'll kick your [wagon].

"PMods - Purpose or Status?" I believe this is asking the same thing as "Professional Athletes: Skilled or Over-Compensated?"

Purpose and Status, like Skills and Over-Compensated are not mutually exclusive.

A Player moderator has purpose, and has status, like a professional athlete is skilled, and is over-compensated.

A general statement I'm inclined to agree with - All player moderators have status. True - the nature of moderation in itself, with or without stars, indicates status.

Here's a question though - what if there was a player moderator who never said anything, so that there was no way to tell if they were a moderator or not?

Would that player, in others eyes, still have status? If there was absolutely no way to tell if a player was a moderator or not, it would be impossible to determine their status, and therefore they wouldn't have status (as far as in other player's eyes).

Now - you can make the argument that there are individual player moderators that don't serve a purpose, just like I could make the argument that there are pro athletes that aren't highly skilled. Taking a macroscopic view, player moderators serve a purpose, just like pro athletes are skilled. It would be foolish and ignorant to make the generic statement, "moderators serve no purpose".

If you understand what I'm saying, then I have nothing left to say. If you can't understand what I'm saying, I'm wasting my time here. If you refuse to understand what I'm saying, you've got bigger problems, and arguing with you is unlikely to change your opinion.

this =D>

awteno.jpg

Iamdan aka Judge Dredd

Hope you like your new name. Should make you feel that bit more powerful on here away from the mute button.

Thank you for proving why it isn't worth debating with you.

I had the same thought, but I'm home sick and have nothing better to do.

I act differently in the game yes, so do most people. The real world isn't so censored. I'm sure there are many people who swear etc outside of runescape but don't in game. :roll:

Client side is the client... If it is done server side it will lag, if it is done client side it can be edited out.

I did assume you have no programming experience, and I still do think that. I'm just not here to argue "no you don't" "yes i do" all day so I dropped it because I really don't care.

Generals do not own the clan chat, they are trusted "ambassadors" chosen by the owner if I may. Much like the way pmods are chosen by jagex.

I don't feel the need to broadcast that I am a mod, most of the time I just talk in my regular clan chats and not in public. I'm friends with most of the regulars and they already know I a mod, because I tend to talk to friends...

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer not to be asked questions about player mods all day.

As for priority reports, I think jagex would have a much better idea about who "does so well" than you do. The option to report is not a service to customers, and it does not matter whether it is answered in a few hours or a few days.

No you may not see the guidelines, Jagex does not want them out in the public. The reason why is because people can use the guidelines to break rules without being punished.

Iamdan aka Judge Dredd

If you feel that way fine. Its your choice whether to post or not.

Why did you ramble all that when you could have said this in the last few paragraphs? :roll: You wouldnt get quick chat past this post. Cannibal loves your post but does he realise your suggestion makes his modship redundant? You would wipe out mods in one swoop and that won't impress this crowd! Considering you're so for mods this is a strange suggestion.

Oh and yes I have read the book.

You're a damn noob.

You're a Fat [wagon].

I have a fat [wagon].

It was a fat sea bass.

I sea your b.[wagon].

I'll kick your [wagon].

Considering Jagex relaxed on half of the words you have used most of the examples are redundant, otherwise they would still be filtered out. The filter on here seemed to take care of your firetruck example which is the only one I can see thats profoundly offensive. Are you saying that players are really (a) so sensitive, and (B) so stupid to take this stuff offensively? Read Judge Dredd's post below about real life and how RS is 'acted' differently.

A system could be developed for it. Of course it would take time to design, code and populate it and it would need updates. But theres no way you can say 'It cant be done!'. It would take some decent programming to do it, but it can be done.

Oh and still no-ones properly addressed that normal players can report things and the ignore list.

Bad example here. Atheletes train for years and it is their 'vocation' in life. Its their job and they work hard for what they do. You cannot compare a player clicking a report button to this. Its like saying RS is a skilled game when theres no effort in it at all. Purpose means you have a job to do and are useful in some way. So how come many mods don't do their jobs or don't do it effectively? Thats not being useful! Or is it they see it as a useful tool because they want the status. An athelete had better do his/her job as they won't get paid. Mods are players who don't depend on their modship to exist in life (debatable in some cases!) so they can take it/leave it or do what they want with it.

Well, if you want my honest opinion you're very pro-mod and nothing is going to change that. You can't see the wood for the trees. I do refuse to go along with you for the reasons I've outlined. If you don't like it then go to an easier thread.

Iamdan aka Judge Dredd

I had the same thought, but I'm home sick and have nothing better to do.

I act differently in the game yes, so do most people. The real world isn't so censored. I'm sure there are many people who swear etc outside of runescape but don't in game. :roll:

If thats the case, then why do you insist on the 'I am the law' attitude with players when you're not exactly Mr innocence yourself? Do as you say and not as you do?

Client side is the client... If it is done server side it will lag, if it is done client side it can be edited out.

I did assume you have no programming experience, and I still do think that. I'm just not here to argue "no you don't" "yes i do" all day so I dropped it because I really don't care.

Um...no there is a difference. Client side is the game code and processing used, whereas an actual client is the software to run the game code, such as a browser. If the game code was that hackable then we are all in big trouble!

I'm not fussed whether you believe I'm a programmer. The psuedocode was for localguy, not you. I'm happy, it pays well \'

Generals do not own the clan chat, they are trusted "ambassadors" chosen by the owner if I may. Much like the way pmods are chosen by jagex.

Is there a point to this?

I don't feel the need to broadcast that I am a mod, most of the time I just talk in my regular clan chats and not in public. I'm friends with most of the regulars and they already know I a mod, because I tend to talk to friends...

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer not to be asked questions about player mods all day.

This is a 'when it suits me' section. You don't broadcast or lecture until it suits you and you don't deal with mod questions until it suits you. Do yourself a favour and come down a little. You're a mod not god. Do you think you're too good to deal with these questions, or are you fed up with questions by the players?

As for priority reports, I think jagex would have a much better idea about who "does so well" than you do. The option to report is not a service to customers, and it does not matter whether it is answered in a few hours or a few days.

Hmm this isn't exactly the lines that Jagex tells players. Are you saying this is quoted on the website somewhere?

No you may not see the guidelines, Jagex does not want them out in the public. The reason why is because people can use the guidelines to break rules without being punished.

Whoa! put your money where you mouth is at least! If theres guidelines that you're using that players do not know about, how do they know how you're judging them? Its like hiding the rule book then pulling it out when you cry foul.

You're a damn noob.

You're a Fat [wagon].

I have a fat [wagon].

It was a fat sea bass.

I sea your b.[wagon].

I'll kick your [wagon].

Considering Jagex relaxed on half of the words you have used most of the examples are redundant, otherwise they would still be filtered out. The filter on here seemed to take care of your firetruck example which is the only one I can see thats profoundly offensive. Are you saying that players are really (a) so sensitive, and (B) so stupid to take this stuff offensively? Read Judge Dredd's post below about real life and how RS is 'acted' differently.

A system could be developed for it. Of course it would take time to design, code and populate it and it would need updates. But theres no way you can say 'It cant be done!'. It would take some decent programming to do it, but it can be done.

I say It can't be done because what you're asking for is artificial intelligence.

I'm not about to post the F-word in any of my responses, I was the one that said f**k, not the filter.

There are also SOOOO MANY VARIATIONS of those letters.

Consider:

"", "f", "F", "?", "/="

"|_|" , "ú", "ù", "û", "µ". "Ù", "Ü"

"c", "Ç", "©", ""

"k", "|<", ">|",

etc.

In just what I've listed here alone, there are 5*7*4*3 ways to make that particular word.

Oh, and if you add another character to the end, there are 256*5*7*4*3 ways to make that word. But you could put a character in the middle of it. It doesn't matter. There are literally a googol ways to get past a chat filter or an auto report system.

Oh and still no-ones properly addressed that normal players can report things and the ignore list.

Right, but that doesn't stop a player from spamming, or macroing, or RWT, or any of the other 12 rules Jagex has. A player moderator's purpose is to give accurate reports, and temporarily punish the gravest of offenders.

Bad example here. Atheletes train for years and it is their 'vocation' in life. Its their job and they work hard for what they do. You cannot compare a player clicking a report button to this. Its like saying RS is a skilled game when theres no effort in it at all. Purpose means you have a job to do and are useful in some way. So how come many mods don't do their jobs or don't do it effectively? Thats not being useful! Or is it they see it as a useful tool because they want the status. An athelete had better do his/her job as they won't get paid. Mods are players who don't depend on their modship to exist in life (debatable in some cases!) so they can take it/leave it or do what they want with it.

By your response here, you didn't understand my point.

mutually exclusive: (contradictory) unable to be both true at the same time.

Purpose and Status are not mutually exclusive.

Skilled and Overcompensated are not mutually exclusive.

From your response - and the title of this thread, and all the debate you've had, you're saying that Purpose and Status are mutually exclusive. This is incorrect.

Let me draw a diagram:

diagram.png

The bottom part represents two events that are mutually exclusive. Example: Percentage of people who are 28 years old is the blue, and percentage of people who are 17 years old is yellow. The grey area represents all the people who are neither 17 nor 28, some other age.

The grey + the blue + the yellow areas = 100% - it covers everyone. The blue and yellow areas do not intersect because one can't happen at the same time as the other - people can't be both 17 and 28 years old at the same time.

The top part represents two events that aren't mutually exclusive. Example: Percentage of people who are professional athletes (yellow + green), and the percentage of people who make over 10 million dollars a year (blue + green).

The two circles intersect in the green, representing the people who are professional athletes and also make more than 10 million dollars a year.

Once again, the black area is the area in which people don't make more than 10 million dollars a year, and aren't professional athletes.

The Yellow + Blue + Green + Black areas = 100%.

Back to the point I was trying to make:

There are player moderators that have a purpose, and there are player moderators that have status. There are also player moderators that have BOTH purpose AND status, and there may be player moderators that don't have either purpose OR status.

There are also moderators that don't have purpose, but have status, and there are moderators that have purpose but no status. The figure that represents this the best is the one on top.

Well, if you want my honest opinion you're very pro-mod and nothing is going to change that. You can't see the wood for the trees. I do refuse to go along with you for the reasons I've outlined. If you don't like it then go to an easier thread.

I could care less if there were moderators or not. What I don't like is all the fallacies in your arguments, and the fact that you refuse to understand the other side of the argument.

I've already proven why a player moderator has a purpose. As long as there is at least one tiny case in which player moderators have a purpose, you cannot make the general statement "player moderators serve no purpose".

Now - if you want to argue with me the merits of player moderators, based on their purpose and status, go for it. However, if you take the position "player moderators have no purpose because all they want is status", you're rtarded. (Oh, look at that, I got past the filter.) If you do take that position again, I'll suggest to everyone to let this thread die.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Sees_all

1) You're a little misinformed about what AI is so I'll explain it to you. Its a computer learning or becoming self-aware. An autoreport system would neither be self aware or a learning system. Glad that clears that up.

An autoreport system can be populated by using its own dictionary system with variations of words or variations of phrases. Thats WHY it would take time to do.

2) You're taking focus off players that COULD report and that COULD use their ignore list. Players aren't helpless beings who can take responsibility for what they see and hear. Your answer should have stopped at the word 'Right..'

3) I have seen some drivel in my time but the 'mutually exclusive' explanation takes the biscuit. The last few paragraphs are hilarious. Say it all out load and listen to yourself :lol:

Maybe if you tried for a second to stop trying to look intelligent or points score you may get somewhere. You don't have to prove anything to me you know if you're trying to do this.

I'll forgive you this as it gave me a good laugh.

4) You have proven nothing except you like mods and thats that. Im also pretty sure you're not a mod judging by your attitude.

Like some of the others, you'll call the wrong person the wrong name one day so I'm sure they will do the reporting favour for you. As far as the merits are concerned, then start a post on it if you think there are any.

When you have something useful instead of a load of drivel I'll read the post. I'd save this stuff for the kids who will be impressed by it. As far as your mod friends are concerned somehow I don't think they'll leave this post just yet.

Sees_all

1) You're a little misinformed about what AI is so I'll explain it to you. Its a computer learning or becoming self-aware. An autoreport system would neither be self aware or a learning system. Glad that clears that up.

An autoreport system can be populated by using its own dictionary system with variations of words or variations of phrases. Thats WHY it would take time to do.

2) You're taking focus off players that COULD report and that COULD use their ignore list. Players aren't helpless beings who can take responsibility for what they see and hear. Your answer should have stopped at the word 'Right..'

3) I have seen some drivel in my time but the 'mutually exclusive' explanation takes the biscuit. The last few paragraphs are hilarious. Say it all out load and listen to yourself :lol:

Maybe if you tried for a second to stop trying to look intelligent or points score you may get somewhere. You don't have to prove anything to me you know if you're trying to do this.

I'll forgive you this as it gave me a good laugh.

4) You have proven nothing except you like mods and thats that. Im also pretty sure you're not a mod judging by your attitude.

Like some of the others, you'll call the wrong person the wrong name one day so I'm sure they will do the reporting favour for you. As far as the merits are concerned, then start a post on it if you think there are any.

When you have something useful instead of a load of drivel I'll read the post. I'd save this stuff for the kids who will be impressed by it. As far as your mod friends are concerned somehow I don't think they'll leave this post just yet.

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate my basic statistics lesson, and that you don't understand what mutually exclusive means, or why I'm so nit-picky about it.

It seems that debating someone who absolutely refuses to understand a point of view other than their own is a useless waste of time; as such I'll spend my time elsewhere.

To everyone else: Let it die.

♪♪ And I'm not done

oh so your going to somehow give jagex a system that learns what is profanity, my apologies I was under the impression we were talking about reality.

Im with sees all, you can deny every point we make but since the logic of mutually exclusive is a joke to you its clear to me you cant handle actual debate.

Mods have purpose because they can instant mute advert bots, which is a benefit to the game.

Mods have status because they have a marking that differentiates them from other players

You can deny the use of mods but the fact stands they have accurate uses which gives them a purpose. Your personal hatred of mods is irrelevant to the fact that jagex(a multimillion dollar company) believes they are needed, and Im willing to side with the company of people paid to make the game work. If a perfect auto reporting system could work then mods would become obsolete, since your so sure it will work use this alleged programming skill you have and tell jagex how to do it.

awteno.jpg

You said players that pay the same should get the same report priority. Stating ftp should be allowed the same priority on reports conflicts with this and is very hypocritical :shame:

Hypocritical? Ok lets look at this shall we?

1) Players can use ignore or report for themselves, making them more independent. For some reason very few of you have an answer to this point because if more players did this, there would be no place for you. You mods claim you make the game safer and more enjoyable yet you don't really admit this point.

2) An autoreport system could tighten up the game more. This is something that you claim could not work, yet you admit moderators are not a perfect system either. In this the players would be much more responsible for their own actions. You claim to care about the game and its security yet you say 'oo bad idea'. This also contradicts a post you made earlier about such a system having the possibility of replacing pmods.

3) You wouldn't be happy if you lost your crown, so you admit at least in part you enjoy the status it gives you.

4) Judging by the way some mods (or wannabe) posters have handled debate, its either a case of 'hey that doesn't work because I say so' or 'you are too thick to understand this'. So its all an act on RS, as these guys do the cheesy nice guy routine until someone dares to argue back at them.

I could go on but I won't. I would suggest you look closer to home and to those of your own ilk before you lecture me.

As far as F2P is concerned they have no more rights than the rest and thats fine. Its the fact when players are given 'more priority' than others when we pay the same fee it is a problem. Think that answers the quote below too.

Im not saying that my opinion is perfect, or that any mod always makes perfect reports. The point is even without the status reports from players such as myself would have priority because we have shown a pattern of good reporting. If there was a feasible way for jagex to set up priority reporting on other levels then mod non mod it would be an awesome thing, but theoreticals arent relevant to reality.

if a player is report hunting they most likely wont earn modship(see that post you quoted about how honest he was being). Report hunting is a completely seperate problem from priority reporting, jagex is concerened with trends of who the better reports are by, not how they came about them. I already addressed that report hunting is problamatic, but its hardly relevant to a discussion on prioritizing mod reports.

jagex does take every report seriously, but there are technical limitations. If they cant guarentee they will be able to get around to checking every report why wouldnt they start with the ones more likely to be good?

yes they should listen to every player, Im showing you why it makes sense to check certain players(mods or non mods shown to report well) because if someone usually makes a better quality of report it stands to reason that checking their posts first will deal with more rule breakers in less time.

A mod is not going to get away with many bad reports before they lose modship status. Since they are held to a high standard of reporting jagex can be sure that checking mod reports first will either lead to a very high ratio of good reports, or evidence a mod needs to lose his privilidges.