25th February 2009-Random Event Update and More

psvstef

Random Event Update

We have just completed a comprehensive rework of the random events system that will bring changes for members and non-members alike. We've retired some of the older random events from active service, overhauled others, and rewritten the rewards for almost every surviving event. We've also changed the rate at which you get random events, and made it possible for all players to get all the events even if they don't do the activities that are typically associated with them. So maybe you'll get to meet Capn Arnav or the Bee-keeper for the first time...

When you successfully complete a random event you will now be given a random event gift box, which will contain a selection of rewards to choose from. The reward options are randomised, but players with higher skill totals will generally be offered better rewards, especially if they have a record of passing random events. Any frog tokens you have will be replaced automatically with random event gift boxes, and your broken axes and pickaxes will be automatically repaired (unless youve only got the handle, in which case theyll be deleted).

For more information on the changes weve made, take a look at the forums, and for a full list of the events that have remained in the game, consult the Knowledge Base.

Price-checker

In any bank in RuneScape, you'll eventually run into someone shouting "Pc please", wishing to open a trade window so that they can check the Grand Exchange values of their tradeable items. It seemed a bit silly that you'd need a second player to let you look up that information, so we've added a simple new feature that lets you do it yourself. It's next to the buttons that open your Equipment Stats screen and Items-kept-on-death display. Now you will be able to shift your tradeable items from your inventory into a central window, so that you can see the current price of each item and the total value of the whole "offer".

Mod Ash

RuneScape Content Developer

Quest List Update

Last but not least, we have made a change to the way the quest list interface works. After all, with almost 150 quests in RuneScape it can be a challenge to find the perfect one to do next. From now on, the quest list will allow you to filter out those you cant do, as well as sort quests by difficulty or keep those in progress at the top. Once youve chosen your quest, a right-click option can show you its start location on your world map.

Mod Hew

RuneScape Content Developer

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the lethal randoms are all gone - I am looking forward to wearing my phat again without constantly looking over my shoulder.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Since the random event rewards are terrible (2 gold charms lol), I'd have preferred if they just took everything out except maze, genie, and pop quiz. That way I wouldn't have to think about if I should claim 727 gp, 4 sweetcorn, or 2 gold charms.

Edit: At this rate, it's probably optimal for your time to just drop the random event box.

11th to 99 Summoning

85th to 99 Runecrafting

soulattacker.png

090225073001.png

2 boxes now, neat.

+when you open it.

090225073141.png

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Hmm, weird that you can get any random event anywhere now, that random events aren't based on the skill you're training. I thought it was better that there were a few random events which were unheard of because people usually didn't do that kind of stuff :P Oh well.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

The charm rewards need a little tweaking. Even 1 crimson would be better than what it is currently. Perhaps they have done this only temporary so that people who stockpiled up frog tokens don't get hundreds of free charms. Once all the current gift boxs are out of the game Jagex might improve the reward?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It does say the value of your reward increases with every random event you succesfully pass. I'm not using my 50 frog token boxes till after about a week of playing I think ::' .

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

It does say the value of your reward increases with every random event you succesfully pass. I'm not using my 50 frog token boxes till after about a week of playing I think ::' .
Unless the value only goes up for each box you open rather than each random you pass?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

According to this article, the Wich [bleep] survived.

Reading this page, I am hugely disappointed. FAIL. All that hype to, in the end, remove a small fraction of randoms.

=====

The farming leprechauns got an update - they have swagger now. And the Shilo Gem Rocks look like a rock candy farm.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours