Melee, Ranging, and Two Slight Diversions

Hegel

[hide=340K+ Ranged XP/hr]Comprehensive Guide to Advanced Chinchompa Ranging

Introduction

I first thought of writing this guide a few months before getting 200M ranged xp and started to do so when I was at around 150M ranged xp. Having reached the ranging pinnacle, it is now right to release this guide and, hopefully, contribute to the RS ranging scene.

Along the way, I have met hundreds of fellow chinners, many of whom chinned using grossly inefficient methods. My spots have also been stolen for what must have been around a hundred times, and I think this is unbecoming of responsible and considerate Runescapers. So, unfortunate as it may be, this guide tries not only to impart efficient chinning strategies, but also etiquette. By reading this guide you agree not to steal the spot of a fellow chinner.

As stated in the title, I have made this guide as comprehensive as possible, including all the tips and tricks I have learnt along the way. This guide has taken many hours to write, and it will take that and more to read, internalise and incorporate into your chinning style. I have a proclivity to write in a rather long-winded fashion, and it is my hope that this guide does not become boring as a result, and indeed that it will help you in your ranging endeavours.

Enemy Profile

It is common knowledge that the skeleton monkeys in the dungeon of Ape Atoll are the best monsters to train on. Like all things, there are pros and cons of training on them, and they are as follows:

Pros

Multi-combat

Rather high LP

Rather low defense

Able to regenerate from their bones

Cons

Rather inaccessible

No drops

No charms

"Earthquakes"

Presence of hidden traps

Presence of highly venomous spiders

Propensity to spontaneously combust

Do not drop ancient effigies

As you may have noticed, there are more cons than pros. However, the pros enable ranged xp to be obtained at a rate vastly superior to all other methods, and this is what is most important. Furthermore, the cons are rather insignificant, and they can be easily reduced or indeed negated through experience.

sk142.png

LP: 1100

Drops: Bones (100%)

Note1: Skeletons will regularly regenerate from their bones if and only if you are within 2 adjacent squares of them.

Note2: Regenerated skeletons have a propensity to spontaneously combust, and they will do so if you do not kill them fast enough.

Recommended Stats and Quests

80 Ranged

70 Prayer

1250 Conquest Ranking (for Deflector)

Monkey Madness

Rum Deal (for Holy Wrench)

The Void Stares Back (for Elite Void)

What to Bring

chinset.png

Around 3000 Chinchompas (contrary to popular belief, an apostrophe is not needed to indicate pluralisation)

Full Elite Void Armour (Helm, Elite Robe, Gloves, Deflector) > Full Void Armour (Helm, Robe, Gloves, Deflector) - This is not difficult to obtain and so there is no reason not to use this

Armadyl Chestplate > Black/blessed d'hide body > Karil's leathertop (this gives more defence than d'hide but defence is not necessary)

Soul Wars Cape > Ardougne Cloak 3 or 4 > Trimmed Skillcape > God Cloak > Fire Cape > Accumulator

Fury > God Stole > Glory > Ranging Amulet

Ranger Boots > Snakeskin Boots > White Boots

Ring of Life - Highly recommended as it is extremely easy to die when your prayer accidentally runs out or when you lose connection

ranginv.png

(Extreme) Ranging Potions - You may need more or less depending on your ranged and prayer levels

(Super) Prayer Potions - You may need more or less depending on your ranged and prayer levels

Holy Wrench - More points restored per dose of prayer potion

Greegree - Must not be of a zombie type as you will not be able to run otherwise. Not really needed, but I think it is good to have so that when you reach the skeletons and the spot is taken, you will not attract the skeleton to you (helps them and helps yourself)

House teletablet - For quick teleports to your house, where you can restore prayer points and teleport to Al Kharid

Super Restore Potion - To sip to restore summoning points to summon another familiar when the previous one dies

Pouch - To summon after your previous one dies

Super Anti-poison or equivalent (optional) - To sip in case you get poisoned. Not needed when you are experienced enough

Shark (optional) - Only for the inexperienced, not needed at all

Red vs Grey Chinchompas

Grey chinchompas used to be extremely underrated, but this has changed with the times and they are now slightly overrated.. At level 99, one can get about 200 xp per grey as opposed to 260 xp per red. This means that red chinchompas give about 30% more xp than greys. Due to price fluctuations, the relative efficiency of one chinchompa over the other continuously changes. Therefore, when making the choice you should decide based on current prices. You can calculate the weighted efficiency (defined as the xp/hr you would get if factoring in the time taken to make the money to pay for the costs) via the following formula:

Relative Efficiency of Red Chinchompas = 1.2977*(n+total cost of greys/hr)/(n+total cost of reds/hr)

where n is one's earning capacity, measured in terms of gp/hr. The derivation of 1.2977 is unimportant and independent of one's ranging level, equipment, or ranging style. We shall call it the Ranging Constant.

Total cost is calculated by adding up chinchompa cost and potion cost. As a general estimate about 1300 chinchompas are used per hour, while the number of potions used depends of course on one's ranging and prayer levels.

If the relative efficiency of red chinchompas is greater than 1, then they should be used; otherwise, grey chinchompas should be used, assuming that there are no feasible non-chinchompa methods of training ranging.

Getting There

Contrary to what you may think, the fastest way to get to the Ape Atoll dungeon is not via the Ape Atoll teleport (as the dungeon entrance is rather far from the teleport spot), but rather the gnome glider. To get there:

1. Teleport to Al Kharid

2. Run North-east to your cactus plant to pick 3 spines

3. Run West to take the Gnome Glider to Grandius

4. Take the ladder down 2 floors and head west to the bank

5. Head east and talk to Daero to get to the Gnome Glider Hanger

6. Talk to Waydar to get to Crash Island

7. Talk to Lumdo to get to Ape Atoll

8. Hold your greegree and head west to the dungeon entrance

9. Head into the dungeon and continue along the path until you reach the chinning spot

You should ensure that you have enough energy to run through the entire dungeon.

Choosing the Chinning Spot

There are 4 main chinning spots in the Ape Atoll dungeon, each characterised by the granitic rock overhangs that give the chinner a brief respite from the constant perils of Hominoidean antagonism. I shall refer to these 4 spots simply by their relative proximity to the entrance, spots 1-4.

chinlog.png

Spot 1

Pros

Rather near to entrance

Cons

Presence of spiders

Rather small spot

Poorly placed floor spikes

Spot 2

Pros

Rather large spot

Floor spikes not too inconveniently placed

Cons

Presence of spiders (can poison 69)

Spot 3

Pros

Bone respawn underneath rock overhang

Rather large spot

No spiders

Floor spikes not too inconveniently placed

Easy to regain skeletons' aggression

Easy to log out

Cons

Doesn't have 4,645,371 skeleton monkey spawns

Spot 4

Pros

Moderately close bone respawn

Moderately close zombie monkey

Cons

Presence of spiders

Extremely narrow passageway

Hard to form a skeleton square

By my experience: Spot 3 > Spot 2 > Spot 1 > Spot 4

It is worth noting that it is not necessary to chin under a rock overhang. Indeed, some people do not do so. However, as there are no benefits of not doing so (and indeed many detriments), and as the best chinning spot just happens to be under an overhang, it is advised that you just stick with spot 3.

Logging out

It is advisable to log out your character at the red spot indicated on the map.

Before logging, you should fill your inventory with as many bones as you can. When you log back in, you can drop the bones in a 3x3 matrix, and the skeletons will regenerate therefrom once you have killed 1 skeleton. This will save you from having to kill many skeletons before you have a sizable population of them.

Worlds

Like most things, monkey skeletons respawn faster on fuller worlds. The fullness of the world, however, has no effect on the bone regeneration time, and as most of the monkeys you kill will be regenerated ones, the world matters less than one might think.

A good spot on a bad world is better than a bad spot on a good world.

Familiars

There is some debate over what kind of familiar is best to use (some even use none). Healing familiars are useful only to the inexperienced chinner and so should not be considered at all by those familiar with the intricacies of the skill (no pun intended).

This leaves BOBs and combat familiars. The best BOBs enable you to last twice as long each trip. This equates to about 4 minutes saved per hour. The best familiar available at that level can gain you xp equal to far more than 4 minutes every hour. Therefore, combat familiars are recommended.

When deciding which combat familiar to use, I think the crux is on what skill it trains rather than its combat level. I personally use the Wolpertinger because I value magic xp more than any other regular combat xp.

How to Chin

chinatt.png

Attack style should be set to short fuse. Medium fuse uses the Chinchompas at a faster rate, but this is overridden by the fact that you will be missing more often. Long fuses trains both ranged and defense.

Being lazy rarely pays off, and chinning is no exception. When chinning, you should at all time observe the following rules:

1. Ensure that the skeletons are as far spread out as possible, ideally in a 3x3 square. This is because only 1 bone can regenerate at each spot at any one time.

2. Ensure that the bones are evenly spread out, and that they are within 2 adjacent squares of you

3. Ensure that you are hitting as many skeletons as you can (note that you can hit a maximum of 9)

Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the bones will still conglomerate on certain spots. In such cases, it may be necessary to manually spread the bones around.

I prefer to diagonally range the skeletons as opposed to attacking the skeleton in front of me, as this better allows the bones to spread as well as facilitate movement from corner to corner.

skele1.png

Sometimes, the best spot to stand on happens to be not under a rock overhang, meaning that you will take damage from falling rocks. As you become more experienced, you will find that being on low health is not a problem, and hence you should stand on such spots. I used to finish my chinning trips with 200 LP or less.

As it is difficult to explain how to chin in words alone, I shall leave it to the following video to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkRlOHHBDx0

Monster Aggression

Skeletons are aggressive only for the first 15 minutes or so. Some people like to continually regain the skeletons' aggression by running some distance away and then returning. This is not advised as:

1. It is usually unnecessary

2. You may be bitten by venomous spiders

3. It affects your fellow chinners

4. It affects your bone regeneration if you have missed a regeneration time (which is likely), causing you to have to kill at least another skeleton before the bones start regenerating again

I only regain the skeletons' aggression when someone runs by and attracts them.

Numbers

At lvl 99, one can get up to 280 xp/red chin, and 360K xp/hr.

At lvl n for all n > 70, one can get up to 280(n/99)^1.1 xp/red chin, and 360K(n/99)^1.1 xp/hr.

For grey chinchompas, multiply the above numbers by three quarters.

Here is a list of the approximate number of each kind of chinchompas you will need for making the level transitions:

table.png

The usage of combat familiars can add up to about 20K xp/hr.[/hide]

[hide=140K+ Melee XP/hr]Ape Atoll Dharoking

Introduction

The combat training method described herein is expensive in its own right and provides no benefit to the user apart from the perhaps unparalleled possibility of rapid xp gains. More than having merely a monetary factor, it requires sustained concentration, failing which an expensive trip to Lumbridge is surely guaranteed. This method is not for the faint of heart, for the prospect of having millions of gp dangling precariously on a string of single digit LPs will surely be too much to bear.

This guide is for the efficiency-seeking, death-indifferent people of Runescape. Their numbers count uncountable. It is these who hold the future in their hands.

Enemy Profile

Dharoking is done in the Ape Atoll dungeon because:

1. There are decently high leveled undead there

2. There are quick ways of getting your LP down

3. There are ways to sustain low LP without effort or danger

114str.png

LP: 1100

Drops: Bones (100%)

Note1: Skeletons will regularly regenerate from their bones if and only if you are within 2 adjacent squares of them.

Note2: Regenerated skeletons have a propensity to spontaneously combust, and they will do so if you do not kill them fast enough.

Note3: Skeletons do NOT drop ancient effigies. Since many other worthwhile training spots (e.g. armoured zombies) do drop them, Dharoking is no longer as lucrative as it used to be.

What to Bring

dhset.png

Dharok's Set

Salve Amulet(e)

Soul Wars Cape > Ardougne Cloak 3 or 4 > Fire Cape > Trimmed Skillcape > God Cloak

Barrows Gloves

Dragon Boots

Berserker Ring (i) > Berserker Ring

(Optional) A weapon for special attack e.g. DDP++, DBaxe, D2H

(Optional) A whip to finish off the skeletons when they are low on health. This will further increase your xp/hr.

dharokinv.png

Extreme Potions

A greegree is inessential but can be useful if you want to log mid-trip

A holy wrench extends your trip by letting your prayer last longer

A pouch is for summoning once your familiar disappears

A super restore is to drink to summon a new familiar

Teletablets are for using when you are done with a trip

(Optional) Zamorak Brew - may be risky with your low health

Method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm-MQA0z88E

Numbers

At lvl 99 attack and strength, without switching to a whip and without familiars, one can get up to 130K xp/hr.

Using the whip-switch method, one can add about 15K xp/hr.

Combat familiars can add up to about 20K xp/hr.[/hide]

[hide=A Slight Diversion]Principia Mathematica

The mathematics of Runecrafting

Introduction

This guide is intended to help readers to calculate levels required to craft (multiple) runes mathematically, instead of checking guides as is usually the case. Through this, not only can the levels required be obtained more quickly, they can also be obtained when offline. It is the expressed goal of this guide to awaken Runecrafters to the fact that Runecrafting level requirements are not randomly chosen as is perhaps often thought to be the case, and in so doing discover the underlying mathematics behind it.

Level to Craft 1 Rune

Suppose all the runes are numbered starting from 1, in a lowest-to-highest order (do not count astrals). Thus, air runes will be 1, minds 2, waters 3, et cetera. Now, let this number be denoted by n. The level required to craft 1 rune n per essence is obtained by the following:

rc1.png

Level to Craft Multiple Runes

Follow the aforementioned n notation. The level to craft x of rune n per essence is given by C(x-1) where C is the rune coefficient of rune n. The coefficient C for rune n is calculated as follows:

rc2.png

Thus, the level to craft x of rune n per essence is

rc3.png

List of Levels

Using the above formulae, we can compute the levels required. We obtain

rc4.png

*Using the formula, L is undefined. As L is the lowest level rune, it requires the lowest Runecrafting level to craft, i.e. 1.

**The formulae do not work for Astral runes as they were not part of the original runes. The levels for them thus cannot be mathematically derived.

***Theoretically, since levels obviously do not go beyond 99.[/hide]

[spoiler=On the Misuse of the English Language]Since I am no longer concerned about accusations of being a 'grammar Nazi' (which really isn't a pejorative at all), I shall let loose my pedantic diatribes and attempt to address the growing misuse of the English language.

Grammar

2. Could have/ should have/ would have NOT could of/ should of/ would of -- It is remarkable how often this blatant error is made. It should be quite obvious that using 'of' instead of 'have' makes absolutely no sense.
  3. Their/ they're/ there -- Again, it is remarkable how many people are unable to correctly distinguish between the three. 'Their' indicates possession (e.g. their clan), 'they're' means 'they are' (e.g. they're busy), and 'there' has many meanings, none of which is even remotely close to the meanings of the two previous words.
  4. Your/ you're -- 'Your' indicates possession (e.g. your scimitar) while 'you're' means 'you are' (e.g. you're welcome).
  5. Whose/ who's -- 'Whose' indicates possession (e.g. whose longsword is this?) while 'who's' means 'who is' (e.g. who's keying?).
  6. Misuse of the apostrophe -- The apostrophe is almost only used to denote contracted terms (e.g. 'they've' is the contracted form of 'they have') or denote possession (e.g. Zamorak's army refers to the army of Zamorak). It is incorrect to use the apostrophe to indicate pluralisation, so phrases such as 'buying Chinchompa's' or 'selling battleaxe's' are wrong.

Spelling

2. Gilded altar NOT guilded alter -- To gild is to cover with gold while an altar is a place for offering sacrifices.
  3. Lose vs loose -- These words have entirely different meanings. Generally, people mistake 'loose' for 'lose' (e.g. it should be 'I will lose' not 'I will loose').
  4. Definitely -- This is quite possibly the most commonly misspelt word around. I have seen a variety of misspellings such as 'definately', 'defanately', and even 'defiantly' (which has an entirely different meaning).

Feel free to post any comments, questions, corrections or suchlike. I regret that I may be unable to respond promptly.

Hegel.png

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent guide, your explanation is as clear as it can be and the videos enlighten me even more =D> now off-topic for a second: what piano compositions did you use in those videos? I absolutely loved the background music.

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

Excellent guide, your explanation is as clear as it can be and the videos enlighten me even more =D> now off-topic for a second: what piano compositions did you use in those videos? I absolutely loved the background music.

Cannon by Bach if im not mistaken. Might wanna check it on YT, though youll find loads of guitar covers :P

Very nice guide, AOW anyone? \' :thumbsup:

Cannon by Bach if im not mistaken. Might wanna check it on YT, though youll find loads of guitar covers :P

Thanks, and I agree with you on the AOW part :thumbup:

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

The only flax I could find: In the melee inventory you bring a summoning potion, it would be more efficient to bring a super restore instead of one prayer potion, super restores restore summoning points too.

Otherwise, amazing guide. :thumbup:

2dvjurb.png

Very nice guide. However, if you're seeking efficiency then slayer is best for raising total xp as slayer and summoning xp comes along with it - I guess this is if you want 200m xp as quickly as possible. :P

For those skeletons with dharoks, wouldn't a rock cake be useful? It allows you to get onto exactly 2hp and doesn't interrupt combat I believe. Or would this be too much hassle?

imagangster.png

Actually it's Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel

wl7w9j.png

The only flax I could find: In the melee inventory you bring a summoning potion, it would be more efficient to bring a super restore instead of one prayer potion, super restores restore summoning points too.

Otherwise, amazing guide. :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll add that

Do you have any info on how void melee and a whip compares to dharoks there?

Nice guide.

Not really, but I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as effective. The whole point of using the spot is so that the falling rocks and [bleep]e traps can keep your health low for Dharoking, so if you are using other setups there are other undead monsters you can kill that are much more accessible and perhaps more efficient as well.

Very nice guide. However, if you're seeking efficiency then slayer is best for raising total xp as slayer and summoning xp comes along with it - I guess this is if you want 200m xp as quickly as possible. :P

For those skeletons with dharoks, wouldn't a rock cake be useful? It allows you to get onto exactly 2hp and doesn't interrupt combat I believe. Or would this be too much hassle?

I don't think it would be needed at all since your health would be kept low permanently and effortlessly by the falling rocks. Using the spot frees you from the need to do anything special to keep your health low.

Actually it's Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel

Indeed it is, one of my favourite compositions too.

Hegel.png

good guide but i dont think the melee one is good. why?

well i think since the area is multi and when i usually go to the god war dungeon with my full guthan's/karil's/etc as soon as i go pass the trolls it reads:

"your karil's leatherbody has degraded to 100%" or something like that, and that's because of the trolls. so that leads me to believe that its not the amount of time YOU hit them but the other way round(i think).

now in the dungeon you will be attacked my lots of monkeys hence wouldn't that make your armour degrade very very quickly?

im quiet sure what i said is right but you can confirm it if you'd like.

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

Since I'm on dial-up I cannot view your video, so if you answer my question I apologize. Anyway, do you use Eagle eye while chinning, or Piety while dharoking Monkey skeletons? I'm curious if you have found the extra expense to be worth it.

Great guide, I hope to use it to get 99 range when I get lucky at God Wars.

Sir_Ddude.gif

well i think since the area is multi and when i usually go to the god war dungeon with my full guthan's/karil's/etc as soon as i go pass the trolls it reads:

"your karil's leatherbody has degraded to 100%" or something like that, and that's because of the trolls. so that leads me to believe that its not the amount of time YOU hit them but the other way round(i think).

now in the dungeon you will be attacked my lots of monkeys hence wouldn't that make your armour degrade very very quickly?

You karil degrades because it haven't been used in any damage yet, so you get hit it degrades. Not by the time, the timer on barrows doesnt start til 100%, the hit makes it go there(regardless of a 0)

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Great guide, do you have any idea how much it costs per hour? I'm just wondering, it'd be great if you could mention it.

Ranging or dharoking? For the former, it depends on what chinchompas you use. You can use about 1300 in an hour. Add in 50-100 gp per chinchompa to cover the potion costs, depending on your prayer level.

Dharok's and all barrows pieces degrade base on your time in combat. Attacking while not being attacked back and being attacked while not retaliating both constitute combat. Meanwhile, being attacked by say 2 monsters simultaneously does not constitute 2*combat, meaning that your armour does not degrade doubly fast. Thus, Dharoking in, well, Dharok's has no difference from say ranging in Karil's.

Since I'm on dial-up I cannot view your video, so if you answer my question I apologize. Anyway, do you use Eagle eye while chinning, or Piety while dharoking Monkey skeletons? I'm curious if you have found the extra expense to be worth it.

Great guide, I hope to use it to get 99 range when I get lucky at God Wars.

Both are used, and indeed I do find them worth it.

I find the spot with the bone spawn very good. I always have a surplus of monkeys. What happens when i have a pile of 10+ bones? Do i just pick them up and spread or let it spawn?

When you have a pile of 10+ bones, it is not possible for all the bones to regenerate before they disappear, even if no additional monkeys die on that spot. Thus, unless this is also the scenario for the other 5+ spots (highly unlikely), and you have no (or not much) inventory space, do not pick them.

If all the bones are conglomerated and that 1 spot, meaning all the bones you have are stacked there, then of course you should pick them up and spread them around, since you aren't going to get many monkeys otherwise. If you have 1 stack of 10+ and say 6 stacks of 4, then pick up until there are around 4-5 left, and leave them in your inventory for future use. Spreading them around when there are already so many bones on the floor will result in rapid and unsustainable monkey regeneration, causing them to eventually spontaneously combust and costing you monkeys (and hence xp) in the long run.

Have you considered Zammy brews for meleeing? They restore prayer and boost att/str but lower def and hp. They can't kill you either

Actually, they can occasionally hit a 1 when you are at 1 HP, thereby killing you. In any case, it is not advisable to get your health down to 1 or 2, since an unlucky streak at the falling rocks will kill you. Also, while the brew boosts attack significantly, I find that the strength boost is insufficient, and hence it is necessary to bring super strength potions to top it up.

That said, no doubt the zamorak brew is a very useful potion and indeed can be used here. If you alternate between standing under a rock overhang and not, drinking the brews at the former location, then it could be a very efficient method. The prayer boosts, while minimal, can also lengthen your trip. So while I wouldn't recommend the brew method to the Dharoking tyro, those more adept could very well use it to their advantage.

Hegel.png

very good guide =D>

very extensive, clear and detailed

u get chocolate chip cookie kay?

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking