Mod MMG's Ingame Behind the Scenes

CampbellMC

ive never seen him in his chat or out in the world so...

anyway, to make me more edjumicated, what does BTS mean?

Behind the scenes

ok, i really shouldve known that... -.-

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like the way JaGeX adjusts and develops the game anymore.

a few years back JaGeX would perform their own updates no matter how influencial players suggestions would be.

we are here to PLAY the game, not create it.

you dont see WoW players telling Blizzard what to do... and neither should the RS community.

time and time again, JaGeX are giving in to players demands rather than letting their own imagination run free, they are forced to clean up after the players.

I have to pay a measly 10p a day to play the game, im not bothered if something is slightly out of sync in how i play.

peace.

Miseryism | Completionist

a few years back JaGeX would perform their own updates no matter how influencial players suggestions would be.

you dont see WoW players telling Blizzard what to do... and neither should the RS community.

time and time again, JaGeX are giving in to players demands rather than letting their own imagination run free, they are forced to clean up after the players.

I have to pay a measly 10p a day to play the game, im not bothered if something is slightly out of sync in how i play.

peace.

So you're saying listening to the wishes of the community is wrong by definition? I don't see why that makes any sense.. when players are able to come up with decent content, and Jagex judges whether to use or not use a particular idea.

Jagex gets new ideas to base their content on, players ocassionally get what they wanted. We all benefit.

peace.

No one is "demanding" Jagex make something some way. Many of the updates recently have just been suggestions as to what to add to the game, and they listen, they like idea, they create it.

Edit: Guy above me has it right.

I'm kinda afraid things will change and we won't know. Like how he's saying a new skill will be released for both members and non-members. Seems to similar to how some mods told us Summoning would also be FTP.

But it's good he has decided to stop this. Although we still await a Development Diary.

On a similar note, what happened to last month's Postbag and Player's Gallery?

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Postie Pete had to visit the KBD. Turns out he was in a bad mood and roasted Pete along with all the letters.

A shame really.

You sound as bad as jagex :roll:

Postie Pete had to visit the KBD. Turns out he was in a bad mood and roasted Pete along with all the letters.

A shame really.

You sound as bad as jagex :roll:

rofl

wow :lol:

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Guess I'll post this here too.

[hide=Todays chat with Mod MMG]His middle name:

mmgmiddlename.png

Mechscape info:

mslink.png

msbeta.png

AMG F2P:

f2pforums.png

quest150devl.png

HANNAH MONTANA:

hannahmontanae.png

Low detail FS

fslowdetail.png[/hide]

I couldn't help noticing "Yeah the planned 150 is actually still in development "

Does that mean that the chosen commander wasn't the real 150st quest? And that the quest that had more development time then RFD is still being developed? :pray:

Guess I'll post this here too.

[hide=Todays chat with Mod MMG]His middle name:

mmgmiddlename.png

Mechscape info:

mslink.png

msbeta.png

AMG F2P:

f2pforums.png

quest150devl.png

HANNAH MONTANA:

hannahmontanae.png

Low detail FS

fslowdetail.png[/hide]

I couldn't help noticing "Yeah the planned 150 is actually still in development "

Does that mean that the chosen commander wasn't the real 150st quest? And that the quest that had more development time then RFD is still being developed? :pray:

Ya TCC wasn't really the "150th quest", but it might as well have been. While the quest itself may have not been really extra-long and super challenging, the story line itself was epic enough for #150.

The quest they were referring to that "had more development time then RFD" was the first Grand Master quest, While Guthix Sleeps. The quest they are working on currently sounds like it may be on that same level as WGS, but not necessarily related to it.

dawnsigblue-3.png

• 4 weeks later...

Why did anyone let this thread fall? :o

Plenty of new information for you:

[hide=From the RSOF]

Ok, so Andrew and Mod MMG hosted a in-game Q&A session today. Thanks goes to the Player Mods for managing it and the Jagex Mods for their valuable time

I don't have a transcript unfortunately, so I'll try to summarise what they discussed. If I miss something/misread something feel free to correct me!

Bounty Hunter

Balance is the most important part here. Andrew stressed that they couldn't give a release date because they needed to ensure that it was as profitable as possible while ensuring rwit couldn't ruin it.

When asked about the drops, he talked about them being similar to that on a PvP World when you have max potiential. However he also said that 75% of the drops were from the player you fought.

It will take place across the entire wilderness with old system of levels for who you can fight.

However, the craters won't be removed, Andrew was keen to ensure the mapping wouldn't be wasted, but didn't go it to details about what they might contain in the future.

PvP Worlds

Andrew acknowledged that sometimes the drops aren't good enough and that it needs a tweak to ensure that PvPers make a profit.

Mobilising Armies

He said that this feature was irritating them. It posed a considerable design challenge given that the player would control units instead of a single character. We should probably not expect a completely epic system, mainly because the development was stalled by the interface issues.

Blackmarks

Andrew went into details about this. He said that it was expected to operate similar to a driving license. For those not familiar to the system in the UK, points degrade gradually providing that you don't accumulate more. This will also apply to any legacy punishments.

Interfaces

It was asked whether the interfaces could change size in HD to reflect the increased space. He said that for the bank he has mentioned the very question to the development teams.

King Runite1

10-Apr-2009 16:18:02

Last edited on 10-Apr-2009 16:28:21 by King Runite1

Smithing

Andrew agreed with the thought that Smithing could do with an update. He said that it was possible it would recieve a non-armour update and that the flooding of low level items by smithers training was a problem.

Slayer

Further to the discussion, Andrew agreed that more high level monsters to add variety was a good idea and that they were working on the issue.

Andrew's Job

A few remarks were made about what he is spending his time on. He said that he was overseeing the content development process, that he had previously been working on High Definition prior to its release. Now he was focusing on improving compatibility for HD. He also asked that we give some indication of the need for content/graphics. Overwhelmingly the result was for more content as opposed to graphics updates, so he said this may well affect future development direction.

RuneScape Classic

Andrew further confirmed the idea of reviving RSC, with the addition of players being able to choose whether they enabled cheats or not.

Highscores

Andrew said he'd pass the idea of adding Total Experience to the overall highscores. He also seemed to like the idea of Country based Highscores, but noted they'd need to collect Country, which they don't do at the moment.

Grand Exchange Caps

A couple of questions were asked about the GE. Andrew said that he wanted to look at giving players more knowledge about the amount of an item in the GE, and that this might have an effect on GE merchanting clans. He stressed that he was not out to kill merchanting however. Again probably a matter of balance.

Clan Chat

Andrew and Mod MMG stated that they were looking to seperate the Clan Chat and Friends Chat, that this would allow ranks to promote and permanently ban people as well as increasing the size of the Clan and Friends Chats.

Mod MMG stressed that they were continuing to improve Clan Support.

Alternative Platforms

Andrew talked briefly about the possibility of making RuneScape not through Java.

King Runite1

10-Apr-2009 16:18:09

Last edited on 10-Apr-2009 16:59:42 by King Runite1

MMG was keen to rule out that it would remain a non-downloadable game however.

Mechscape

They both didn't answer many questions on MechScape except to say that the account will be linked. They didn't comment on skills in MS. As far as moderation went, they said that Player Moderators may or may not retain this in MechScape, it wasn't decided yet.

Forums

Andrew said he was looking to open High Level Forums, P2P Only Forums and a Q&A forum, which he expected to be much more active in.

Storylines

The emphasis is mostly on finishing current storylines. No spoilers as per individual storylines although he said as far as he knew the Pirate storyline wasn't currently in development.

Development

Mostly the game is programmed in RuneScript. Tools and Website use Java, due to their need to add uncommon features and. MechScape is also in RuneScript - they had to add lots of features for this, but they will & have been useful for RuneScape.

Customer Support

They answer each report manually, althought they do reuse replies, to save time. Andrew is looking to make this process seem more human in the future.

Andrew's Choob!

He's level 91, because he doesn't play much - every time he plays, he sees stuff that he would like to add, so goes back to development He did comment that they'd got some high level p'kers in recently so that added to the development process.

[/hide]

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Alternative Platforms

Andrew talked briefly about the possibility of making RuneScape not through Java.

How would that be possible?

i thought jagex was like javagame something

Hmm, maybe the new quest will require you turn in tons of junk that has been acquired over years such as the glass after beers, unused thread, and the other tons of things I'm too lazy to think of, and in turn, you get some QP's and cash.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

Alternative Platforms

Maybe there is a way to recode it into a program. That could improve graphics by a lot and make it easier to access.

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

Alternative Platforms

JAva Gaming EXperts

120dgl.jpg

Alternative Platforms

JAva Gaming EXperts

first part says it all

JAVA!!!

Mod MMG has really made things turn around. Whereas in the past Jagex was some sort of elusive behind the scenes body that would do mysterious things without telling us for our own good, now they are just like really friendly and present in the community. They seem to appreciate the fact that we play their game. Like Howes' appearance at the event yesterday. It's cool that he's coming in and letting people know about what they're up to and what's up with expected issues, even though we don't have a behind the scences (that did kind of lead you on at times occasionally)

What do you mean, junk trading, like beer glasses, bronze wire and beads?

no, not quite.

and i have seen several mod mmg posts in signatures, i couldn't figure out how players were having regular conversations with him.. this explains it, thanks

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Alternative Platforms

I heard something about Directx being potentially integrated into Mechscape graphics. I'm not sure if Directx can be run through Java or requires a different platform. Just trying to add to the discussion. Hopefully players with some knowledge on this will further expand on the possibilities.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Why did anyone let this thread fall? :o

Plenty of new information for you:

From the RSOF

Ok, so Andrew and Mod MMG hosted a in-game Q&A session today. Thanks goes to the Player Mods for managing it and the Jagex Mods for their valuable time

I don't have a transcript unfortunately, so I'll try to summarise what they discussed. If I miss something/misread something feel free to correct me!

10-Apr-2009 16:18:02

Last edited on 10-Apr-2009 16:28:21 by King Runite1

Smithing

Andrew agreed with the thought that Smithing could do with an update. He said that it was possible it would recieve a non-armour update and that the flooding of low level items by smithers training was a problem.

RuneScape Classic

Andrew further confirmed the idea of reviving RSC, with the addition of players being able to choose whether they enabled cheats or not.

Highscores

Andrew said he'd pass the idea of adding Total Experience to the overall highscores. He also seemed to like the idea of Country based Highscores, but noted they'd need to collect Country, which they don't do at the moment.

Grand Exchange Caps

A couple of questions were asked about the GE. Andrew said that he wanted to look at giving players more knowledge about the amount of an item in the GE, and that this might have an effect on GE merchanting clans. He stressed that he was not out to kill merchanting however. Again probably a matter of balance.

Clan Chat

Andrew and Mod MMG stated that they were looking to seperate the Clan Chat and Friends Chat, that this would allow ranks to promote and permanently ban people as well as increasing the size of the Clan and Friends Chats.

Mod MMG stressed that they were continuing to improve Clan Support.

I like! :mrgreen:

Hopefully, these things come out this year or at least CC, GE, Smithing improvement and RSC . :-w