RS1 Possibly Making A Comeback?

@Dan3HitU

One idea that we are considering is perhaps opening the current RSC game to the public but providing everybody with the cheat codes to set their skills and inventory to whatever they liked. That way everybody could have whatever they wanted in game and there would be no incentive or advantage to cheat or bot.

Naturally the RSC account would be isolated to RSC worlds and could never interact with the current version of RuneScape.

I wouldn't really call that a come back. That would be stabbing the injured RSC in the back, and killing it.

I do kinda like that they are thinking about RSC again though, the nostalgia there was great.

35b9enp.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of giving current classic players an item in rs2. If there current in classic, what would be the point. Alot of people who were "loyal" to them in classic, moved to rs2 because of the force. It was said back then that if you didn't switch, you wouldn't recieve updates again, most people heard that and went with the switch. Now if they release an item to those of us that played classic and went with the switch, i would be extremly happy with Jagex, not everyone got the bunny ears and whatnot.

swordwarior.png

"...most loyal players..." just disgusts me. I didn't know about the game until 2005 and have only played RS2 as a result, but to call me less loyal than someone who simply learned about the game earlier than myself is upsetting.

I often have conversations with people who claim they played RSC, but they tend to use it as leverage in a verbal fight (which I do try to avoid). 'You're new; you don't know anything. I played Classic!' and such nonsense. The last thing I need is such a person rubbing their hat/cape/et cetera in my face as well. However, opening RuneScape Classic to the public seems a good idea to me. I'm not looking forward to the sea of party hats that such a cheat server would spawn though.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

very much against cheats on rsc because players wanting to REALLY experience old time play wouldnt be able to :?

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

very much against cheats on rsc because players wanting to REALLY experience old time play wouldnt be able to :?

Why not? I don't think they want to train an account to level 100+ again just to PK on RSC, this cheat idea sounds awesome. I just hope there are quests... and normal training of course :thumbsup:

"...most loyal players..." just disgusts me. I didn't know about the game until 2005 and have only played RS2 as a result, but to call me less loyal than someone who simply learned about the game earlier than myself is upsetting.

I often have conversations with people who claim they played RSC, but they tend to use it as leverage in a verbal fight (which I do try to avoid). 'You're new; you don't know anything. I played Classic!' and such nonsense. The last thing I need is such a person rubbing their hat/cape/et cetera in my face as well. However, opening RuneScape Classic to the public seems a good idea to me. I'm not looking forward to the sea of party hats that such a cheat server would spawn though.

Yea! I mean, god forbid the two people you come across decide to wear the item Jagex releases, they should remove the whole thing because Moad feels they're "shoving it in his face". That's a great argument, selfless and thoughtful of those around you.

And yes, the longer you ally yourself with something or someone, the more loyal you are to them, making those who have been here since classic more loyal than someone who has just joined. Saying otherwise doesn't automatically make you right.

Luckily the RSC "cheat server" will be on its own, away from the real rsc servers, and the kids who infest the cheat server still will not gain access to the rsc forums. I can see the rsc cheat server ending the same way the troop of rs2 products treated classic when it was still open:

"y cant i train slyer?"

"were is runecrafting?"

"da graphx sux lol"

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Don't we already have something like this? Bunny Ears / Scythe?

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Don't we already have something like this? Bunny Ears / Scythe?

A lot of people missed those, they had quite a limited release. This would cover everyone who could, or still can, play Classic.

I have faith Jagex will give it to everyone who either joined during classic, or is still active on the two remaining worlds. They would only be insulting those they call loyal if they screwed them over because of some stupid technicality they caused to begin with.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Yea! I mean, god forbid the two people you come across decide to wear the item Jagex releases, they should remove the whole thing because Moad feels they're "shoving it in his face". That's a great argument, selfless and thoughtful of those around you.

And yes, the longer you ally yourself with something or someone, the more loyal you are to them, making those who have been here since classic more loyal than someone who has just joined. Saying otherwise doesn't automatically make you right.

Perhaps I should've been more clear. I didn't mean I'd be offended by such an item, merely that many players are elitist enough already.

Your loyalty paragraph is dead wrong, however. Let's compare this to another example- phone service. For seven years I've had crappy phone service. I keep paying the same company too much money for too low quality audio, reliability, and especially customer service. Just because I've been with them the last several years does not say anything about my loyalty, as I would likely jump to any new company that came to town. Someone who has moved into my neighborhood recently will not have had to spend as much money or time on this company, and will be slower to switch than an agitated me. So when the choice arises, who's the more loyal one? Is it me, who just has no other option, or is it the newer guy who is currently content? Time and loyalty are not the same.

Perhaps I should've been more clear. I didn't mean I'd be offended by such an item, merely that many players are elitist enough already.

Your loyalty paragraph is dead wrong, however. Let's compare this to another example- phone service. For seven years I've had crappy phone service. I keep paying the same company too much money for too low quality audio, reliability, and especially customer service. Just because I've been with them the last several years does not say anything about my loyalty, as I would likely jump to any new company that came to town. Someone who has moved into my neighborhood recently will not have had to spend as much money or time on this company, and will be slower to switch than an agitated me. So when the choice arises, who's the more loyal one? Is it me, who just has no other option, or is it the newer guy who is currently content? Time and loyalty are not the same.

You are right, there are a lot of elitist players. They should not, however, be taken into the equation when deciding how the rest of us, no matter how small our group is, get treated.

The two have nothing to do with one another. The difference is that with your phone analogy, there is no other choice. In Runescape, you can jump ship at any time, and find a replacement game in about 10 minutes. So your argument using the phone is invalid. The loyal players are the ones who join and stick with Jagex, newer players who did not join in Classic will eventually be proven loyal, they are just victims of circumstance, have not had the chance to prove themselves. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it's something people are just going to have to deal with, as Jagex is going to put the plan into action whether or not a bunch of rs2 products like it, it's something the classic community (on the rsc forums) has been asking for for years now.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I can't imagine why anybody on the RSC forums would be asking for such an item though, if they don't plan to use it to show off. JaGEx would never have given the item stats worth beans in the past, but who knows now with Gerhard?

On the subject of phones, I didn't feel it had to be a RuneScape-related example. My conclusion was that one can not be more loyal to something solely because one has been around longer than another, and I stand by that. I see where you're coming from and tried to word my example accordingly, but failed it would seem. This is probably because I do not believe loyalty is a shades-of-gray thing. I see the quality as being fully devoted, having no middle ground. Most people disagree.

I can't imagine why anybody on the RSC forums would be asking for such an item though, if they don't plan to use it to show off. JaGEx would never have given the item stats worth beans in the past, but who knows now with Gerhard?

On the subject of phones, I didn't feel it had to be a RuneScape-related example. My conclusion was that one can not be more loyal to something solely because one has been around longer than another, and I stand by that. I see where you're coming from and tried to word my example accordingly, but failed it would seem. This is probably because I do not believe loyalty is a shades-of-gray thing. I see the quality as being fully devoted, having no middle ground. Most people disagree.

There are several threads on the rsc forums that have the agreement of most, if not all active (real, not bot) players on rsc. It's the overwhelming support that managed to get Mod MMG and Jagex's attention well before he did the Runescape Classic Q and A.

As for the phone subject; the point I was trying to make was that the difference was choice. Now if the company had competition, then yes they would be rewarding you for loyalty, sticking with them. In your argument, you stick with them because there are no other alternatives, not because of loyalty.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'd love to play RsC as I missed it the first time around, and if this update happened I probably would try it just to see what it was like. Really though it would getting boring though if you could have what ever levels and items you wanted and as people have said it would screw up RsC for current players.

Maybe if you had new RsC players on seperate worlds it might work, but if I busted my balls getting 99 in a skill in RsC and then my friend logs on for a second and gets a 99 it would kinda ruin it for me.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

Does this make any frakking sense to anyone? Because it doesn't make any sense to me as to why they'd get a special item. Hell they get their own isolated forums now as well as an isolated game, that should be enough. These people chose to play RSC over RS2, that should be enough. They shouldn't get special treatment in a game that they shunned in the first place!!!!
Maybe Jagex is trying to apologize. Better late than never.

Apologize for what?

For the statement you put in bold.

I think you misunderstood me.

I said that they(as in players) shouldn't get special treatment in a game that they shunned(RuneScape 2). RSC players decided not to upgrade to RS2 because they didn't like change. Jagex should not have to apologize to players that hated all of the hard work Jagex put into making a new version of RuneScape.

I think RSC players should maybe get a new item IN RSC. But why should they get an item in RS2 just because they managed to stop their RSC accounts from getting auto-deleted for so long? I lasted a year before my RSC account got deleted. Shouldn't I get a cape in RS2 that has "Survived for 1 year in RSC" written on the back of it? What of the people that lasted 2, 3, or even 4 years but simply didn't have the time to play RSC instead of RS2?

Also someone said RSC players are just the ones that have been playing for the longest. While this might be true for some RSC players, it's also true for some RS2 players as well. In fact I know many RS2 players that have played RuneScape much longer than many RSC players. How could this be possible an idiot might ask? Very simple, they upgraded with the rest of us when we went to RS2(The better version which Jagex promised would get updated often, instead of RSC which Jagex said would not be updated.).

As for the comment about Scythes and Bunny Ears, of course those are from RuneScape Classic. But at least everyone that was playing RuneScape at the time had a chance to get the Scythes and Bunny Ears, where as this RSC cape will only go to a very small handful of people(Probably not even 500 people).

I'm very much against this; have respect for the elders. RS1 was a time of a different community and the players helpful--at least until the last few months. I would like to go back because I enjoyed RS1 much more than RS2, but as for letting the rest do the same, what's left of the community would crumble.

Sorry guys. I have more respect for RS1 than for RS2. I understand there are loyal players who never played RS1, but they should know where the line is not to be crossed. I do not stand for the braggers, though, who think they are above everyone else because of their veteranship.

I was wiped, unfairly on classic, for not logging in for 6+ months after the launch of rs2, while I love classic I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because no way in hell would I rework for my stats and to be honest I am still annoyed YEARS later about it. , for players like me, who earned high stats to have it wiped due to "inactivity". I feel this is a nice and damn well respectable offer.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Sounds like a private server :lol:

i agree lol

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Tbh the rs1 community is going downhill alot of those so called "faithful" players that still play rs1 just bot to max, stupid imo, you don't really find any more of those hardworking rs1 players like you did in the glory days.

patr1ckotg1.png

I'm very much against this; have respect for the elders. RS1 was a time of a different community and the players helpful--at least until the last few months. I would like to go back because I enjoyed RS1 much more than RS2, but as for letting the rest do the same, what's left of the community would crumble.

Sorry guys. I have more respect for RS1 than for RS2. I understand there are loyal players who never played RS1, but they should know where the line is not to be crossed. I do not stand for the braggers, though, who think they are above everyone else because of their veteranship.

I was wiped, unfairly on classic, for not logging in for 6+ months after the launch of rs2, while I love classic I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because no way in hell would I rework for my stats and to be honest I am still annoyed YEARS later about it. , for players like me, who earned high stats to have it wiped due to "inactivity". I feel this is a nice and damn well respectable offer.

We played RSC for years, so I think we should have the right to go back. As for the rest, I don't feel the same way.
Sounds like a private server :lol:

i agree lol

Same, but now you can think of it as legal :P

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

QFC - 13-14-627-58540508

Hi,

I recently received a number of questions from the RuneScape Classic community which I have tried to answer as best I can below :)

-------------------

Q) (Ill Pun Ill) Will RuneScape Classic ever be reopened to the public, If so when and how?

A) I would love to see RSC open to the public again, whilst now comparatively retro in appearance by comparison to the current High Detail version of RuneScape its still a great game which posses a unique charm and we are still deeply proud of our ground breaking roots.

The key problem with opening up the game to the public is the absence of the anti-cheating and macro systems we have built up over the last few years, it is also the case that RSC contains all the features that were causing real world trading and therefore incentivising credit card fraud.

From above it is clear we simply cannot open the current RSC game to the public without some substantial changes. Our development efforts are almost exclusively focused on evolving the latest version of RuneScape and therefore I suspect it would be years before we could fix RuneScape Classic.

One idea that we are considering is perhaps opening the current RSC game to the public but providing everybody with the cheat codes to set their skills and inventory to whatever they liked. That way everybody could have whatever they wanted in game and there would be no incentive or advantage to cheat or bot.

Naturally the RSC account would be isolated to RSC worlds and could never interact with the current version of RuneScape.

-------------------------

Q) (Ill Pun Ill) Will RuneScape Classic ever be closely moderated again?

A) No, we currently continue to maintain the existing servers in recognition of our most loyal and ardent fans but all our support and development efforts are around the latest version of RuneScape.

There is a small but dedicated community of just under 500 active players on RSC, I would expect that unsavoury individuals would quickly become isolated in such a close nit community.

--------------------------

Q) (Caps Lock13) Will the bots be taken care of?

A) Hopefully implementation of the 1st idea above will negate the purpose of bots.

Q) (Mini Reddish) Will there be any RuneScape Classic events organised by Jagex?

A) I would love to see more community activity in all parts of the organisation, we are still looking into how we might do this with RSC

Q) (Hit Z) Will we get to have an RSC Cape to wear on RS2 and will we ever be allowed to transfer some of our items over to RS2 again?

A) Certainly no transfer of items to RuneScape, although I really do like the idea of distinguishing our most loyal players in RuneScape this ideal is currently on our development opportunities list.

---------------------------

Q) (Legolas435) Will a RS2 item be released to show players still able to play RSC?

A) Yes as above we are looking at the possibility of a skill cape or another unique item such as a hat perhaps.

---------------------------

Q) (Ill Pun Ill) If avatars are added to the RuneScape, jAGeX forums. Can those of us who can play classic get are own, special avatar icon?

A) I cant see why not, its a bit of work but I think we could do it :)

----------------------------

Q) (Ill Pun Ill) Will you dig-up the old RuneScape classic skill guides, world map *wild missing* and other features which were removed?

A) Im not sure exactly what the public version of RSC might contain, I would expect it would be rather similar to the current version but I would need to come back to you on this one.

Q) (Ill Pun Ill)Will there ever be in game updates for RuneScape Classic, such as new quests, if no please state why, if yes i think it would be best if World 1 was for the updates world - World 2 stays as it is.

A) No, all our future development activities are around improving and evolving the latest version of RuneScape

Q) (R4ng3 P0w4) Will there ever be put together a full dedicated team to work with RuneScape Classic, just as with the current RuneScape, FunOrb and the new game MechScape?

A) No as above our future development activities are around improving and evolving the latest version of our products as well as developing completely new game types for our players as we did with RSC nearly 10 years ago.

-----------------------------

Q) Will RuneScape classic ever be welcome on the front page again?

A) Haha without doubt, as before we are really proud of what we first achieved nearly a decade ago and if we did decide to open it up to the public again we would give all our players the opportunity to check it out.

-----------------------------

Q) (Legolas435) Can we have a RuneScape Classic Day?

A) How do you mean?

It's great to see that the RSC gets some attention again. I have never played it myself, even though I would love to do so. And I think that I'm not the only one who would like to do that. I hope that we sometime in the future all can play at least a bit of it :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak