Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

face it rs is sausage fest

I love sausage festivals! :D This one time, I was in Vienna and...wait, I see what you did there. You were implying that RuneScape is nothing but guys, right?

I would have thought that the number of female players on this board alone would be enough to prove that just isn't true.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Under-represented?

Haha, it's a game, not a social movement. There is no need of some representation. Soon we'll be having placards, sit-ins and women's rights, it's been so quiet lately...*sigh* :roll:

runebannerul6.jpg

mining10099.jpg

2432nd to 99 mining

okay idk if anyone mentioned this but before trade limit was established guys would create lvl 3 accs and make them girls. Then they would pretend to like high lvl players with alot of cash and flirt with them. They would ask for gifts and stuff and get cash and then drop trade, multi log it over to their main. People started to catch on to this trend and started thinking that all girls on the game were guys. Just my opinion. I think that most girls that are girls in rs are girls but their probably just ugly lol in rl.

my noob friend got scammed a santa that way

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

okay idk if anyone mentioned this but before trade limit was established guys would create lvl 3 accs and make them girls. Then they would pretend to like high lvl players with alot of cash and flirt with them. They would ask for gifts and stuff and get cash and then drop trade, multi log it over to their main. People started to catch on to this trend and started thinking that all girls on the game were guys. Just my opinion. I think that most girls that are girls in rs are girls but their probably just ugly lol in rl.

my noob friend got scammed a santa that way

The magical spell of girls extends everywhere and anywhere. Sometimes it can be costly, like when my friend crashed his Mustang into a tree distracted by some lovely ladies crossing the road, boy didn't he feel like an [wagon].

runebannerul6.jpg

mining10099.jpg

2432nd to 99 mining

I also believe most people are prone to assuming a player is a guy

If im in a cc i assume everyone there is a guy unless i know

its a bad attitude to have but if there are more guys than girls

Jamje.png

null and void

there are various reasons that may affect online females majority.

one is simply because few girls are computer literate

two is because we are overcome by unwanted attention (flamed, asked for personal details, etc.)

three is most likely because of their personal "dignity" because they believe "girls are not meant to play video games"

"girls are meant to wear makeup..etc." and other stereotypes versus the fact that girls are equivalent in their abilities

to play video games as well as men, luckily more and more females are becoming aware to this fact and are taking

advantage of the idea that men find a well rounded girl more attractive

ally

What? :-s Have you been reading this thread at all? It isn't 20 years ago you know. There are just as many computer literate girls as guys.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What? :-s Have you been reading this thread at all? It isn't 20 years ago you know. There are just as many computer literate girls as guys.

I doubt that.

But the learning capability is the same I suppose.

I doubt that.

You "suppose"??????

...I can hardly believe the ignorance of that statement. I didn't realize that we had suddenly gone back in time a hundred years. Of course women and men have the same capability for learning, be it computers or anything else.

two is because we are overcome by unwanted attention (flamed, asked for personal details, etc.)

three is most likely because of their personal "dignity" because they believe "girls are not meant to play video games"

"girls are meant to wear makeup..etc." and other stereotypes versus the fact that girls are equivalent in their abilities

to play video games as well as men, luckily more and more females are becoming aware to this fact and are taking

Screw you man.

Being a girl that has been coding her own websites for years, I find this a load of crap.

I've never been asked for personal details or that (though I did get insulted and asked to do rude things the other day when I told PKers in a non-combat sc game to [bleep]ing stop it).

And NO I don't play games because men will find me more attactive - I play games because I like them and I don't give a [cabbage] what anyone else thinks.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I've never been asked for personal details or that (though I did get insulted and asked to do rude things the other day when I told PKers in a non-combat sc game to [bleep] stop it).

HAI BABEZ WAT R UR ASL??/ (in other words -- C-C-COMBO BREAKER!)

Female players are the minority in RS, but more and more female players are coming to RS. I actually know quite a few. Its just the whole thing where people think some girls are really guys, but its becoming less and less of that (unless you roam f2p lumby and stuff >.>)

blame defil3d

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

I dont think female players are underepresented in RuneScape at all acctually. I started playing runescape about august of 2001, so I been playing quite awhile now. From the start I noticed that this game is attractive to both sexes. I met as many gals as guys. I never felt I was a minority. I have met a few female characters played by men, but not many, and usually they are teens between 13 and 17. As they grow older they tend to want to have male chars in my opinion.

I also met a very few male chars played by females but they are rare.

The generalising that women that plays must be "nerdy", fat or ugly and a minority in the gaming community I find very immature. Most young and inexperenced kids/teens will of course make that assumption because life have yet to teach them about variety and diversity. My guess would be that it is almost as many gals playing as guys. At least thats my experience =)

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

Women actually play video games more than men. However, women usually play simple games such as Minesweeper, while men like games such as Half-Life.

:shock:

What is it with all of the ignorance towards women today? Women play "simple" games like Minesweeper? Are you kidding me?

The whole lot of you need to just take your oppressive , misogynistic ways back to the 1800's and buy yourselves a nice wife and some slaves you can whip. :x

I think the real question is: Why ARE female players underrepresented in Runescape?

Seriously...why do people have so much trouble forming proper questions?

Or maybe I should say, "why people don't form questions right???"

"How to get 99 firemaking????"

"Why prayer is unfair???????"

Speak English, please. It gets annoying as hell.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I think the real question is: Why ARE female players underrepresented in Runescape?

Given the responses to this thread, perhaps a better question would be: Are female players underrepresented in Runescape?

The "why" seems to indicate that it is taken as fact and we then are tasked with finding a reason for it.

By the way, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one bothered by poor grammar. However, you do have to take into account the fact that a lot of people on this forum are either still learning the language or come from countries where English is not mother tongue. I don't think a little bit of grammar flexibility is out of the question.

I could be an idiot here and say there are less females in Runescape because we unlike males realise how stupid it is to spend hours on a game and we do productive things instead.

The fact of the matter is that while males and females are both equally suited to do anything, and they can both do it as well as each other there are more boys who prefer to play video games than girls. It has nothing to do with boys are better at video games or girls are better at whatever, it simply has to do with interests. At this moment in time, there are more boys who are interested in playing runescape than there are females. 10 years down the line it could be the opposite.

I doubt that.

You "suppose"??????

...I can hardly believe the ignorance of that statement. I didn't realize that we had suddenly gone back in time a hundred years. Of course women and men have the same capability for learning, be it computers or anything else.

I highly doubt this.

Males and females have different brains. Well, not the structure, but the way they process and store information is very different.

I would say they have the same capacity, being the same size and all, but due to the different way they process information, I'd guess that men and women learn quite differently and more easily learn about different subjects...

Of course, I only know anything about the brain from health class and the Discovery channel. If you have information to the contrary, please share.

Also, where I live, fewer girls are computer literate (as far as I can see), but the difference is small. Actually, due to mandated technology classes near me, more people are becoming computer literate; most, however, simply use cell phones for everything.

When I see people say it, I pronounce it "poon" in my head. Makes more sense to me. My friend said it in real life once and I almost kneed him in the family-maker.

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

i actually never get asked any of those bs questions by male players anymore will you be my gf etc.. in rsc now that was a different matter since i became a member pretty much stopped although i do get asked if i am a girl irl lmao and yes i am proud to be a rs player for 4 years so any one that has a problem can suck it

phixcire.png

D.Drops=Skirt9 Med9 Spear2 Visage2 Legs6 boots35 shield half1 whip15 dbow5

phixcire.png

phixcire.png

i actually never get asked any of those bs questions by male players anymore will you be my gf etc.. in rsc now that was a different matter since i became a member pretty much stopped although i do get asked if i am a girl irl lmao and yes i am proud to be a rs player for 4 years so any one that has a problem can suck it

I usually don't do this, but someone call the grammar police :?

I doubt that.

You "suppose"??????

I highly doubt this.

Males and females have different brains. Well, not the structure, but the way they process and store information is very different.

I would say they have the same capacity, being the same size and all, but due to the different way they process information, I'd guess that men and women learn quite differently and more easily learn about different subjects...

Of course, I only know anything about the brain from health class and the Discovery channel. If you have information to the contrary, please share.

Also, where I live, fewer girls are computer literate (as far as I can see), but the difference is small. Actually, due to mandated technology classes near me, more people are becoming computer literate; most, however, simply use cell phones for everything.

There is a slight difference in preferences for processing information I think. Girls are generally more creative and men more mathematical. Computers are usually a mix of both though. I spend time creating graphics then spend time coding, which is more mathematical, to create my website.

And now-a-days pretty much anybody knows how to type runescape.com into an address bar, it's not really much a point of computer literacy.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I wish i knew some chicks who played RS

Me and her would be tight together

::' just the thought... hmm

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

• 1 year later...

Why are girls on the internet when they should be in the kitchen? JOKE.

But in all seriousness, Girls don't find MMO's fun.. Well that's what i've realised from alot of Female gamers I know in real life. (:

dzuz3d.jpg

Some like it, some don't. :P

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."