Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

I think gender roles arent so much forced by society at large but rather naturally present themselves. I think its less the case of most girls feel not feminine playing certain games or games in general but rather most girls just dont have interest in it.

Again this is coming from a male so feel free to completely disregard what I said. But its just something I have observed over the years.

Off topic but what was the appeal of the sims, I had it and got bored after 20 minutes and just always ended up killing my sim :oops:

I named my character Bobby Alcoholic and made him as unattractive as possible. This got boring after about 2 hours, so I wound up attempting to mate Alcoholic with a woman of his choice. Needless to say, no one loved Bobby.

It was then I returned to SimCity, a much better Sim game.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women actually play video games more than men. However, women usually play simple games such as Minesweeper, while men like games such as Half-Life.

I hate Minesweeper. And last time I looked, I'm a girl.

Girls tend to do better on harder thinking games like Minesweeper, guys do better with Half Life because we just point and shoots, not much thinking.

That being said, I play Counter Strike with some female gamers, and their skill is just as good as any male players, all it takes is practice. She even show me her gaming gears and anyone seen those pic would think she is a guy instead because of the G series Logitech keyboard, mouse, expensive headset, and freaking huge gaming grade mouse pad.

a happy Runescaper

There's nothing wrong about being a girl gamer. I just wish some of them would shut up about being girls and acting like they're better than us males.

Its two side of the mirror, there are always guys say something about girls, and girls saying something about guys. Essentially, we are kind of arguing about the same thing in circles.

a happy Runescaper

I troll people who say "Back to the kitchen!" in RuneScape by saying I play in the kitchen. They generally don't respond after that. I think they're at a loss for a decent comeback, because so many people just stop at that point.

hzvjpwS.gif

There's nothing wrong about being a girl gamer. I just wish some of them would shut up about being girls and acting like they're better than us males.

It's because women are under-represented in games that girls feel the need to be 'loud' about it, to make their presence aware. Girls don't think they're better than other guys, I don't know where you're getting that from.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

It's because women are under-represented in games that girls feel the need to be 'loud' about it, to make their presence aware. Girls don't think they're better than other guys, I don't know where you're getting that from.

Uh, what?

As a girl, I have never felt that desire to be "loud and proud" about ovaries, of all things. If I'm loud about it, it's because I generally kick ass and take names at Left 4 Dead through my own talents, not because of the gift/curse of my gender.

Online world has no gender and insults are just thrown around for the lulz. People who are obsessed with such things take things too seriously and let others get to them far too easily.

hzvjpwS.gif

Girls play runescape, and they can be just as nooby and developmentally delayed as any other player.

There are many girls that play RS. Half of my friend list is girls now that I think of it. GOP and CW is full of girls, and most of them are extremely high leveled and can probably outsmart any guy player out there.

I beg to differ.

Me too; not all male players are drooling simpletons that find pleasure in smashing things. Anyway, perhaps the reason that you see more girls playing non-combat related activities is because you tend to look for them there more than anywhere else. I've noticed female players playing everywhere, and seen as many female "combat thugs" as I have skillers. However, I never saw a majority of females at any location (be it GOP or a slayer task), and I'm sure I would have if there were indeed fewer males than females.

Skill-based games are dominated by girls, or at least when I play non-combat Stealing Creation, probably 80% of the people playing are girls. Also with the pmod community, I think majority are girls.

Again, the reason why you notice more female player mods than male mods is because the only way to notice a mod is by the crown in chat, and female player mods would be more likely to talk than males because they have to convince others that they are indeed female and reject the numerous date requests that they receive from 40-year-old stalkers. I can only remember seeing 3 female player mods, and in 2 of those instances they were being mobbed by creepy boys. I've seen plenty of male player mods, usually talking with a group of friends in the Rogues' Den or at some other gathering location

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

Female players would beat male players easily when it comes to skilling, which is most of the skills in Runescape. So female players are not underrepresented.

I believe OP meant there are fewer females in the game by "underrepresented".

There have been several posts like this in this thread and they have all annoyed me. Females are not better than males at anything. Males are not better than females at anything. These massive stereotypes are what caused the lack of females in video games in the first place.

Female players would beat male players easily when it comes to skilling, which is most of the skills in Runescape.

I dont get it...

Females are not better than males at anything. Males are not better than females at anything.

Actually, there are biological differences that may effect RS like females having 25% more connective tissue in the brain...

But no, theres no "LUL GIRLZ IN RUNESCAPE ARE DEFINATELY SMARTER THAN ALL GUYZZZ"

O.O

Women actually play video games more than men. However, women usually play simple games such as Minesweeper, while men like games such as Half-Life.

I hate Minesweeper. And last time I looked, I'm a girl.

Girls tend to do better on harder thinking games like Minesweeper, guys do better with Half Life because we just point and shoots, not much thinking.

That being said, I play Counter Strike with some female gamers, and their skill is just as good as any male players, all it takes is practice. She even show me her gaming gears and anyone seen those pic would think she is a guy instead because of the G series Logitech keyboard, mouse, expensive headset, and freaking huge gaming grade mouse pad.

minesweeper is an awesome game! who are you kidding!

lol, but i reached basically the max i could get on it (took maybe 45 mins of playing, over time lol). Now i just use the cheat to set impossible hiscores on my friends computers.

pere_grin.png

To start NOTHING in this game takes real skill.

Sept PVP, and some minigames.

Keeping track of all the prayers, freeze times, food, KO's, reacting to KO's, as well as general sense like eating (but not safing so much that your opponent runs), etc. Is something that only really comes with practise.

O.O

More males play video games than females. Pretty simple actually.

I'm not saying that women don't play video games at all, in fact I have several good friends online that are females. It's just that females seem to be less interested in video games, computers, etc.

EDIT: Also, for the moronic male versus female crap...that's just stupid honestly, do you really believe that?

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Maybe you're taking your sample from an "intellectually unmotivated" group of guys

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

Maybe you're taking your sample from an "intellectually unmotivated" group of guys

actually back when i had the OG xbox live and battlefield 2 and halo, i knew some girls who were monsters. i didn't know any of them irl but i could tell the had nerves of steel and steady hands, and if you really think about it, females are less twitchy and impatient than most males.

females may just be underrepresented in Runescape because it's mostly aimed at a younger audience and i don't know too many 13yo or younger girls playing Runescape or video games in general

edit: and what are you talking about, both half lifes were intense your mind had to be sharp playing that

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Actually, the person who introduced me to RuneScape all those years ago was a female, and I've since known a large number of female gamers in various games and real life. They aren't uncommon.

DEGqA.pngQtYSR.pngHY2Ll.png

Actually, the person who introduced me to RuneScape all those years ago was a female, and I've since known a large number of female gamers in various games and real life. They aren't uncommon.

Even so OP's question still remains. Why isnt the gender balance 50/50?

Because society says men should be all aggressive and competitve, while women shouldn't play games where they might chip their nail polish.

We are only as good as the world allows us to be.