Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

Most of the reasons you guys have pointed out are because there is the [bleep]er bunch who say sex comments and that girls like shopping more then guys.

Well, i'd like to comment myself. It is personal appealing(duh). Like at least half of my irl friends are girls and they're a mixed bunch. I mean one is into cars, another one loves games, another one loves her sport and another one loves to shop...

Same thing is with guys, of course guys stereotypically like the combat more then skilling/challanging things Or to make a point, shopping/ACTIVE socializing.

I'm a guy, and i'm not the biggest fan of combat. I like a challange(although i do cheat sometimes :^o ) Prince of Persia is a good one). Like girls are smart(ignoring the dumb brunettes who dyed their hair blond :? I'm a blond and i hate the sterotype... i'm a guy and i get it :shock: )

Anyway before i'm COMPLETLY off topic. Most MMO's are completly combat based(If someone says WoW has skilling features, your lying. It's combat with a button click) so that's a turn off to girls, since they dont have as much testosterone(what makes guys like violence). Runescape has the socializing part as well as the skilling. Plus most skilling tasks are soical ones. Also mentioning that skilling leads to puzzles(but you need some combat most of the time). Puzzles are awesome. Girls like to prove themself that they are better.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its soooo sad when ppl go "buying hot gf 100gp" or whatever seriously pixels aren't hot last time i checked

I always offer 1,000 'cause I think 100 is a bit cheap, I at least want some class.

There are no women on the internet, end of story! ::'

There are, I've met two :lol:

There have always been girls who play RPGs and video games, but they get looked down upon because "it's not girly enough".

You all must be living in the Stone Age or something. All the girls I know play video games.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31790/US-97-p ... play-games

A new survey from Pew Internet & American Life Project has shown just how deeply gaming has infiltrated North American life with the results suggesting that 97 per cent of 12 to 17 year olds are active gamers.

The results were fairly consistent amongst various ethnic groups, and even more interestingly showed very little gender difference 99 per cent of boys and 94 per cent of girls play games.

This is consistent with what I know of people - everyone who has access to games, plays games.

There are more males playing video games than girls. Whenever I buy a game, the sales assistant would usually refer girly games (death to that Bratz game). I picked up Dead Space and saw the guy beside me staring like "oh you know how to play?"

Skill-based games are dominated by girls, or at least when I play non-combat Stealing Creation, probably 80% of the people playing are girls. Also with the pmod community, I think majority are girls.

lolwut?

Where'd you hear all of that? :|

Just an observation. Which part are you referring to? I play non-combat SC games a lot and most of the people I play with are girls (or at least have girl avatars). The pmod community part...well, personal experience (don't ask what, I don't think I'm allowed to divulge what it's about).

But if you're referring to the part with me buying Dead Space, I'm not playing it anymore. Scared the crap out of me :oops:

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I don't think we're underrepresented, but we do face a lot of stereotypes and worries that tend to hold us back from telling or showing people we are female.

Here are some things I've experienced as a girl playing RuneScape (misspellings intentional):

#1. "Be my gf plz"

#2. "Ur hawt. Lets go to bed"

#3. "Ur a fat 50yr old man living in ur moms basement"

#4. "Girls on the internet don't exist"

#5. "Girls dont play games"

You get the idea. -.- Most of the time now I stay quiet in game, especially in public chat. With clan chat now in existance, I actually don't mind talking because at least its within a group of people who act reasonably respectable towards me and everyone else, rather than run into a bunch of immature teenagers (meaning yes, I do believe there are mature ones out there) and young adults who think they're all the hot stuff. -.-

Some of the greatest PKers back in the day were females. Some of the greatest clan leaders were females. I don't think we're underrepresented at all. We're just overlooked until we do something drastic it seems.

Hi Magey! *Waves* <3:

Have Tip.It conducted a poll once over this? If not they should do one. My answer would be; Im a gal in rs as in real life. =)

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

Most of the girls I know DO use the internet, but the stuff they do is mostly blogging or playing minor games such as Pet Society.

I guess girls do not like mass murdering an entire race of Dragons.

My favourite place in runescape happens to be metal dragons - also; my favourite monster to kill is dragons *points at stats* :shock: Im a killer - not a skiller.

This sounds exactly like a conversation I had in RS.

Annoying Noob: Are you a girl irl?

Meili: Yes.

Annoying Noob: You're lying.

Meili: Why?

Annoying Noob: A real girl wouldn't play RS. They only like to go out for meals.

*places Annoying Noob on ignore*

Yeah, women only shop, put on make-up, date and do other girly stuff. You aren't a "real" girl if you do anything more than that. *rolls eyes*

This is exactly the sort of immature thing that pisses off us real women.

*Applauds* ::'

*Waves at Meili*

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

This sounds exactly like a conversation I had in RS.

Annoying Noob: Are you a girl irl?

Meili: Yes.

Annoying Noob: You're lying.

Meili: Why?

Annoying Noob: A real girl wouldn't play RS. They only like to go out for meals.

*places Annoying Noob on ignore*

Yeah, women only shop, put on make-up, date and do other girly stuff. You aren't a "real" girl if you do anything more than that. *rolls eyes*

This is exactly the sort of immature thing that pisses off us real women.

Ilu. =D>

Last time i was asked if i was female irl, they demanded a picture as evidence. 1 way ticket to ignore list :thumbsup:

Tbh i'd rather just use a male avatar on games i play, gives me a nice excuse to loosen up and prat about for a while :mrgreen:

Hi all,

I have been playing RuneScape for a while.

From my personal experience, I saw that there are very few female players in all types of MMOGs including RuneScape.

I am really curious why?

They really don`t like MMOGs? or they are hiding under male clothes?

Any opinions?

I have an answer and I'm probably going to get warned or banned for this but it is well worth it:

GirlComp.png

I think I have found their computer. HAR. Humor in bad taste is also often in good taste.

goblin512.png

Hi all,

I have been playing RuneScape for a while.

From my personal experience, I saw that there are very few female players in all types of MMOGs including RuneScape.

I am really curious why?

They really don`t like MMOGs? or they are hiding under male clothes?

Any opinions?

I have an answer and I'm probably going to get warned or banned for this but it is well worth it:

[hide=]GirlComp.png[/hide]

I think I have found their computer. HAR. Humor in bad taste is also often in good taste.

No... it really, really isn't.

and these children that you spit on as they try to change

their worlds, they are immune to your consultations;

they're quite aware of what they're going through.

- david bowie

I have more female friends on rs than male friends lol.. I don't stereotype them. Girls are allowed to play what they want and do what the want as along as the law allows it!

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

guys play video games more then girls, seriously half the girls i know have probley never played a 360 in thier like and pretty much all the guys i know have.

girls usually spend thier time on bebo, facebook and msn, i saw my sister on the computer at 2am speaking to her friends on msn.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Not many girls play MMOGs. Those that do probably play male characters, as I do. For kicks, one day I made a female character and got a ton of crap while playing (wanna be my gf, etc.)

EDIT: I didn't make this clear; I'm a girl IRL.

I've just always preferred looking at female characters than than male ones during long hours of game time.

I've just always preferred looking at female characters than than male ones during long hours of game time.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not normal, not at all.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

ROFLMAO.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Dunno about all you other girls browsing this thread, but the sexism flying around in here is driving me crazy.

- david bowie

I love this thread! :D

People are always shocked when they learn I'm a member of RS, and a good one at that. Why, you may ask?

I'm a female, and proud!

I live in the middle of nowhere in a town of 900-ish people.

I'm a 15 year-old teenager who would normally be shopping and looking at boys. :S

Anyway, I'm a girl, and I play RS, big deal? It's fun and relaxing. You can actually learn a little from it too. Though, I tend to ignore all the stupid guys that come around, saying stuff like "Be my gf" or "girls on here all suck!" and all that. Also, I got many comments saying that I was a guy trying to scam people by pretending to be girly. Like, holy crap man!

Anyway, hope this isn't to long or to much nonesense. I probably repeated half the things you guys said anyway.

2buzaw.jpg

I love this thread! :D

People are always shocked when they learn I'm a member of RS, and a good one at that. Why, you may ask?

I'm a female, and proud!

I live in the middle of nowhere in a town of 900-ish people.

I'm a 15 year-old teenager who would normally be shopping and looking at boys. :S

Anyway, I'm a girl, and I play RS, big deal? It's fun and relaxing. You can actually learn a little from it too. Though, I tend to ignore all the stupid guys that come around, saying stuff like "Be my gf" or "girls on here all suck!" and all that. Also, I got many comments saying that I was a guy trying to scam people by pretending to be girly. Like, holy crap man!

Anyway, hope this isn't to long or to much nonesense. I probably repeated half the things you guys said anyway.

Gender-benders are half the reason we're given a bad name on RuneScape. Before the trade update, my good friend lost his mask to a runescape female character that was actually a man in real life. It's sad, but it happens.

- david bowie

I guess I break the stereotype of girls mostly skilling. My favorite part of the game was pking.

It's always funny when I walk into a like best buy or gamestop, and buy something like halo, cod or GoW the people there are surprised.

I never really got much of the be my gf stuff, mostly because I was a member pretty early on, and stayed mostly in the wilderness for my earlier levels, and if anyone bothered me I could kill them.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

It depends on what demographic you're looking at. Between the ages 12-18 I believe that there is a definite majority in male RS players, but if you switch your focused age group to 19+ (adults) you'd be surprised at the number of females in-game. Personally about 60% of all adult RS players that I know are women, and most of which enjoy GWD more than I do :P.

Neltak.png

There are more males playing video games than girls. Whenever I buy a game, the sales assistant would usually refer girly games (death to that Bratz game). I picked up Dead Space and saw the guy beside me staring like "oh you know how to play?"

Skill-based games are dominated by girls, or at least when I play non-combat Stealing Creation, probably 80% of the people playing are girls. Also with the pmod community, I think majority are girls.

lolwut?

Where'd you hear all of that? :|

Just an observation. Which part are you referring to? I play non-combat SC games a lot and most of the people I play with are girls (or at least have girl avatars). The pmod community part...well, personal experience (don't ask what, I don't think I'm allowed to divulge what it's about).

But if you're referring to the part with me buying Dead Space, I'm not playing it anymore. Scared the crap out of me :oops:

Yep men realize combat is the best way of making money, not skilling =D.

Edit: Realized thats really bad taste, but I'm just sick of everyone saying : Oh wow girls are so much smarter than boys when they play runescape, they are all like skillers and that, blah blah blah.

O.O

Yep men realize combat is the best way of making money, not skilling =D.

Edit: Realized thats really bad taste, but I'm just sick of everyone saying : Oh wow girls are so much smarter than boys when they play runescape, they are all like skillers and that, blah blah blah.

I have not heard anyone on this thread say that girls have more diligence than boys when it comes to playing the game, just that we go about it differently. I think you're overreacting.

And, also, when has the game been solely about money? I don't know about you, but I play the game to have fun.. that's what a game is for, after all, right? :thumbsup:

- david bowie

(Im a guy)

Most 'girls' I known including my ex partner solely did/do combat anyway.

That doesnt mean all female players do combat or whatever. Combat suites the average player. Then theres people like me who preferred skilling. Not a 'girly' thing at all..

I have admit when I first started I hated combat due to kids/teenagers taking spots I was training at and generally being nerds - Thinking they all that - as they cant be harmed over the internet. So I preferred skilling as people much more polite.

(Im a guy)

Most 'girls' I known including my ex partner solely did/do combat anyway.

That doesnt mean all female players do combat or whatever. Combat suites the average player. Then theres people like me who preferred skilling. Not a 'girly' thing at all..

I have admit when I first started I hated combat due to kids/teenagers taking spots I was training at and generally being nerds - Thinking they all that - as they cant be harmed over the internet. So I preferred skilling as people much more polite.

your 86 hunting and you still think skillers are more polite when it comes to spot sharing :lol:

Hunter and mining (Maybe others but dont want to think) under certain circumstances are also like combat but fortunately alot other skills to choose from.

BUT. To be fair. Hunter has limited hunter spots so people are forced into such conditions alot more than any other skill/combat. People are not going to choose slower training spots when they train it. Combat on the other hand is alot more varied. Slayer for example I got kaphites blocked amongst other things - such as hellhounds thats crowded. Any tasks that are crowded are avoidable or you can simply train on whatever monster you like that isnt crowded.

Btw Hunter is my second most hated skill =p I hated every moment of it but got that level for other achievement reasons. So to be fair on myself I dont enjoy hunter either lol.