Suicide (Statistics, Philosophy, etc)

raven_gaurd0

Joe challenged OT to post serious topics, which I've always been for.

So Suicide. Let me just pull up some statistics.

From a private site, suicide.org, a site for suicide prevention and awareness.

-400,000 citizens are sent to the E.R. for self-mutilation (2001)

-Suicide rates have been rising steadily since 1980

From a government site, AFSP.org, or, American Foundation of Suicide Prevention

-The death toll of suicide in 2005 (latest available data) was 32,637.

-26,500 people between then ages of 18 to 65 committed suicide in 2005.

-A person attempts suicide every minute of every day; one of them succeeds every 16 minutes.

-For those between 15-24, the third leading cause of death is suicide, higher than the national average; the other two are driving accidents and disease.

-In the INTERNATIONAL WORLD, more than 1 million (1,000,000) people die from suicide; more than homicide and war combined.

-At least 100,000 adolescents die by suicide every year.

Please note that all the statistics, save for the last two from AFSP.org, pertain solely to the United States of America.

I think we can all agree, on moral ground, that this is a bad thing. So I ask OT; why? Why are more than 1,000,000 people killing themselves a year? In America, many of them young people? And more importantly, why has the trend of suicide been going UP for the past three decades?

EDIT: I think that my question may have been self-answering. Identify the problem, then propose a solution to it.

P.S. Ignore my signature. I just love Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't want serious topics, just more discussion topics. Either way this is a good thread, so w/e.

I think that for older people it has to do with the economy, losing jobs and homes, but for younger kids it's just stupid teen drama.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

emo.jpg

OH NNOEZ MY GF BROKE WITH MEH I'M GONNA KILL MISELF LIFFFE NO WORTH1!!!!111!"

Most teen suicides are because of teen drama. Older people may do it because of different causes, life/job/house/money.

IMO, someone should suicide if he wants to. It's not your life.

[hide=]emo.jpg[/hide]

That guy doesn't look unhappy?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

\Why are more than 1,000,000 people killing themselves a year?

I would. I even look like I'm happy like those suicides you hear about.

Then post the reason rather than wait for someone to ask?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

\Why are more than 1,000,000 people killing themselves a year?

I would. I even look like I'm happy like those suicides you hear about.

Then post the reason rather than wait for someone to ask?

Because I'm not who I thought I was or everyone thinks I am. I can't truly be myself around anyone. The secret of my sexuality is killing me, driving me mad like the guy in the Tell-Tale Heart. I see myself as a freak and I hate myself for it.

My dead thread about this.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

How do we decrease suicide rates? Solve the problem that induces suicide.

What induces suicide? Sadness.

How do we get rid of sadness? Happiness.

How do we find happiness? ...

HOLY SH*T. IT'S A WALL.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

What induces suicide? Discontent/sadness.

How do we get rid of discontent/sadness? Happiness.

HOLY SH*T. IT'S A WALL.

You pretty much just summed up modern life.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I'm not a big fan of suicide (who is right?) but for the most part I can understand why it does happen, even as much as it does. In some of the cases I blame the individual who commits suicide, but in others I blame the people around them.

Suicide is one of the most selfish things one can do, but sometimes being selfish is the best option in a person's life - and as bad as it is to think about, I can guarantee a decent number of the people who commit suicide are happy thinking about it/doing it.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

HOLY SH*T. IT'S A WALL.

:wall: So true.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

HOLY SH*T. IT'S A WALL.

That's so depressing a realization that I might just off myself now...

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

In my opinion, most TEEN suicide are the cause of teenagers' inability to realise that things will get better.

For adults, however, losing your job because of fraud and not being able to get another job for years, leading to poverty and drugs may be a reasonable excuse for suicide.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

IMO, someone should suicide if he wants to. It's not your life.

So you don't care about the person's family that will be deeply effected by this? Losing someone close to you is a terrible thing. Suicide doesn't only affect the person committing it.

LOL.jpg

[hide=]emo.jpg[/hide]

That guy doesn't look unhappy?

crying.jpg

there :P

On the emos topic, there were some organized fights on Mexico D.F. and other major cities on Mexico to attack emos, i was lucky i was in Mexico City that day, when my cousin (a skater himself) told me what was going to happen. We then go to the Glorieta and we find like, 800 emos there. And they are all surrounded by goths/skaters/punks/skas/metalheads/rockabilies/skinheads

Then [cabbage] happened, someone punched an emo, and hell broke loose. I litterally saw how something close to 1400 guys charged against 500 emos. People were being dragged, and cars stopped and there were a few accidents. Then the news got in and started to interview people and the police got there, that's where most attackers escaped. I felt like if i was in a movie. We were being chased by police on small streets, but we were like 100 people at the same time. So it was a disaster, i fell and my cousin got me up. We got a bus with other 30 people and we separated from there. The next few days, we were excited by hell, watching th news reports on different incidents across Mexico. And to think it's (mostly) this guys fault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQshjri6P8

P.S: small summary of everything that happened in Mexico on English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgorID5 ... re=related

Sadly suicide is becoming progressively more common as the years, no, days go by. It's an unfortunate event that affects most everyone surrounding them.

Why do people commit suicide? I don't know. Maybe you should ask them.

On a more serious note, I think people are driven to the point of insanity by loneliness and isolation. Depression is so common now that it isn't even funny (not that it was funny in the first place), and I don't think people are taking enough time to analyze themselves or their loved ones, and, as a result, by the time anyone catches on, it's too late.

On a sociological note, we, America, as a nation have been spoiled into impatience. Everything comes to us at the snap of a finger, and I think we feel unfulfilled if our expectations aren't met immediately, not excluding emotional gratification.

0006kd5k

and these children that you spit on as they try to change

their worlds, they are immune to your consultations;

they're quite aware of what they're going through.

- david bowie

I had a very interesting and compelling professor last semester for my Principles of Sociology course. His name was Dr. Abbas Mehdi and he is an Iraqi. He has served under Saddam Hussein (unwillingly) and now serves as a trainer for Minnesota National Guard troops being deployed to Iraq. He has traveled to every continent (except Antarctica) and fluently speaks 7 languages. Needless to say he is a very experienced person when it comes to dealing with social problems around the world. Some of you may also remember the "Iraq Aid Money Stolen or Wasted" topic I posted a few months ago featuring his testimony to the U.S. Supreme Court.

My point in this is that Dr. Mehdi had a very interesting viewpoint on why suicide rates are so high in Western and "civilized" countries and why, as he said, there are hardly any cases of suicide (aside from suicide bombers) in his home country of Iraq compared to the United States.

Dr. Mehdi concluded that because well-off Americans are so task oriented, they tend to have more stress than the most impoverished farmer in Iraq. Think about it, how many things in your day are task oriented? First of all, you've got your daily tasks. Get up, feed the family pet, catch a bus/ride/drive to work/school. Finish all your work at school, maybe participate in a sport after school, and of course worry about the big game coming up against your conference rivals. Now balance that with your every day course load of homework. Don't forget you also have to worry about managing a girlfriend or boyfriend if that's what is going on in your life. And those are just your every day tasks. What about long term tasks? Mid-term papers, band or choir concerts, the all-school play, what college you're going to pick, maybe the military, how about what your major is going to be, do you have a job to pay for school? How are you going to pay for school if you don't have a job?

As you can see, those are just a few examples of tasks that young Americans have to face EVERY DAY. Now Iraqis, as Dr. Mehdi put it, do not face those kinds of issues. They live simplistic lives (of course not all of them, but a majority of them do). Every day they get up and either farm their land or go to their job to simply provide food for their families and to save up what extra money they can. There aren't these ridiculous tasks we have every day as Americans. They have less stress, even though they may be impoverished. And that is why, Dr. Mehdi concluded, a higher percentage of Americans kill themselves, and will continue to do so, compared to Iraqis and even more impoverished people.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

War Vets:

Much different from the rest, most of these guys see and do things us civilians could not handle. They deal with the dead, they deal with the enemy, they deal with having their friends die in war, and worst of all; they deal with the people they protect calling them terrorists and baby killers, they deal with blinded people who only see the military as some kind of machine which sets out to kill anyone, they don't see the good the military does. They (the protesters) don't see the 100s of thousands of liberated people, they never saw the rape rooms, where men would rape women for amusement, they don't see that we shut these down, they don't see the torture rooms, where they would cut off hands, body parts, heads. The war protesters don't see what we've stopped most of this. They don't see that women and children can roam the streets freely without worrying about a man coming up to shoot them in the head or rape them. They say America is to blame, burn the flag, screw America... Good grief, ignorance is bliss I suppose. It's no wonder some kill themselves.

Children:

They don't know anything, too many kids aren't parented, they have parents who let them do whatever they hell they want. The parents don't bother to tell them about life, tell them the hardships, they ignore their children, letting that pathetic 'no child left behind' program take care of their children's education. They're shoved into the real world, not ready, not knowing what the hell to do.

Adults:

Depends, some adults are just weak, cowards... Like that Asian immigrant guy, offed himself because someone made fun of his voice? lost his job? wtf? :wall:

Then there are the rich ones, who have it all, then lose it all, they don't know how to cope, they don't know how to live in poverty, because they either forgot or never were in poverty. Since 90% of rich people are self made and didn't inherent, I would go with #1, they forgot and never bothered to remember their poor life, too focused on their materials .

sotw7bar.png

As the Western world becomes richer and richer it also loses it's kindness, trust, welcome, friendliness etc. The vast majority of kids who commit suicide, kids wo have depression disorders which people aren't aware and aren't aware that they shouldn't be bullied.

My aunty is a child psychologist, blaming high suicide rates on 'Emos' is just ignorant, the vast majority of the time they're just kids looking for attention as they never got it trying to be mainstream. That's what she told me anyway.

Suicide is one of the most selfish things one can do.

Wanting someone to live because we would feel better within ourselves if that person were here is equally as selfish.

There are many reasons for suicide... probably one of the most popular ones is mental illness in which at that very fraction of a moment the person doesn't have the right chemical balance in their brain to find an alternative solution to suicide. In that split moment of time, suicide is the only option and not a lot of people 'get it'.

There are a few things that have concerned me for a long time:

1. Anti depressants and teenagers - more often than not makes them psychotic and top themselves off yet doctors still prescribe it and make it widely available. There are also studies that show anti depressants increase the risk of suicide in the elderly.

2. I believe doctors shouldn't have the legal right to diagnose mental health. At Brisbane's north hospitals alone, 2 in 3 people who have been misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder (just 1 disorder of many) have been diagnosed by doctors. They diagnose using a DSM IV (in other words, straight out of the text book) so they don't challenge the behaviour and symptoms. Doctors should stick to general health and refer mental health subjects to psychiatry. Unless they've studied both.

3. Doctors often prescribe the wrong medications for mental health. I'm not entirely sure if the law has recently changed someone can go in to the doctors office, know the right kind of symptoms to describe and walk out of the office with a prescription for highly mind altering drugs in under half an hour. Sometimes it takes two visits before the doctor will prescribe narcotics but it has the same result.

4. Narcotics when given to the wrong disorder are a death sentence to people of any age. An example, I know a doctor who gave their rapid-cycling bipolar patient anti depressants. If you don't understand what that means = basically a death sentence. In simple English the anti depressant exacerbates hypomania within the disorder which has the potential to be dangerous to that patients life and to others.

5. There is plenty of research that links mothers with mental disorders to having children with autism and or aspergers. While they haven't conclusively correlated the two studies have shown that children with autism/aspergers are twice as likely (and in one study up to 6 times as likely in one schizophrenic study) to have mother with mental illness.

6. The correlation between life satisfaction and happiness/depression is a dead give away. In Western society even though we are a 1st world country there is a lot of emphasis on materialistic things and as Raven mentioned routine.

7. People are becoming more depressed with their lives in general. Turn on the news, it's not hard to see why. There is a statistical association between news reports and suicide, particularly in men under the age of 45 years.

Obviously there are a whole lot of other reasons such as drug use, sexual abuse, domestic abuse, emotional abuse, horrible parenting, however, people who usually commit suicide are the mentally ill. Oh forgot financial hardship that's another huge one, watch out for suicide increases with this economic crisis.

Sorry for the basic, general knowledge instead of something better written with references but my isp lied to me and told me that my broadband would work fine in my new house, turns out it's worse than bloody dial up. It takes me ages just to log on to here yet alone get sources from journals.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I once heard that suicide rates are apparently so low in non-western countries because there is a taboo in many of those cultures surrounding reporting a cause of death as "suicide", so many doctors will put something else for the sake of the family's dignity. This seems plausible, but it's hard to assess the extent to which this is true and therefore assess whether or not suicide rates are genuinely higher in the western world.

My hunch, however, is that they will be higher. Outwardly the marketing men would like us to believe that material possessions correlates to happiness, and whilst most of us know this not to be true in the long term, this kind of thinking seeps into our relationships and attitudes towards family and friends.

On a different tangent, this is an interesting blog post about how suicide is reported in the media:

http://www.badscience.net/2009/03/suicide/

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Yep they do in particular the more intelligent species of animals/mammals. Although some would argue that external stimuli is the cause of abnormal behaviour which amounts to suicide. For example dogs sometimes starve themselves to death when they have lost their mate in comparison to a scorpion who stings itself to death to escape unbearable heat waves. Then there are debates such as whether bees know that they're about to die when they sting or why some female spiders give birth to their babies on the inside of their bodies. When the sacs hatch, they eat their way out of their mother's body.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.