The Metric System

PoorLepRecon

I've been thinking about this for a while now. The United States and the United Kingdom are two of the most prominent countries in the world today. Both have a large influence on world wide events. But both the U.S. and the U.K. have seperated themselves from the world by using the imperial system (inches, pounds), instead of the metric system (meters, grams). Almost every other country in the world uses the metric system as their standard numerical system.

My question to you is, should the U.S., U.K., and all other countries still using the imperial system switch over to the metric system?

My opinion is that yes, we should switch over. The metric system is far easier that the imperial system, since it is based on units of 10, not 12, and would make us much more compatible with the rest of the world.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

To put it simply, we're just gonna keep using it and the younger generations are the only ones who will learn it, but their parents will likely use the imperial system at home.

To put it simply, its too much effort to re-educate everyone.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

No.

To put it simply, we're just gonna keep using it and the younger generations are the only ones who will learn it, but their parents will likely use the imperial system at home.

I think he means something along the lines of teaching it, guess its true we need to keep the old system for labeling things for long enough for everyone to adapt.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

No.

I think he means something along the lines of teaching it, guess its true we need to keep the old system for labeling things for long enough for everyone to adapt.

Yeah, I think that we should gradually change everything over. The first thing we need is to get the schools to begin using the metric system only. Then we can begin converting everything to the metric system, and maybe offering classes/tutorials for learning the metric system.

Would you Americans like to order a Royale with cheese, instead of a quarter pounder with cheese =P~

I believe McDonalds would survive with having to change the name of their Quarter and Double Quarter pounder sandwiches.

I've always been taught the metric system and I'm English...

It's a mixture of both here, but I've always been caught centimetres, metres ect rather than feet and inches.

Tbh metric is way, way, way better. It's far more logical. And I'm secretly a vulcan inside so I dig logic :ugeek: .

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I believe McDonalds would survive with having to change the name of their Quarter and Double Quarter pounder sandwiches.

Wow wait, they've got a Double Quarter pounder? My logics tell me it should be a Half Pounder :D

Man, that sure sounds like a tasty burger..

I'd like the whole world to apply the metric system. Would come in quite handy for business.

DERBO_PK.png

nice.jpg

derbo_pk.png

Everything should be changed to metric, since it's more compatible with new technology. I suppose it was time to switch around the time when calculating computers were invented.

However, the Imperial system was the more logical system once upon a time when we didn't have calculators. Numbers chosen at conventions back then were chosen only because they had a lot of divisible numbers. 12 can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12. 10 can be divided by 1, 2, 5, 10. Ever wonder why days have 24 hours, or that circles have 360 degrees? Same reason.

So far we've changed length and degrees to a more "logical" system, meters and radians. I wonder when we'll start having 10 hour days :lol:

hiccup.png

I know both generally. But I like our quirky, illogical system. It's interesting. Conforming to the man of metrics is so conformist, bro. So should we? Probably. Will we? Doubt it.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I like the metric system, its simple. Mathas and physics and stuff would be more confusing with the imperial system.

In chemistry we use the metric system. But in my trigonometry class, we still use the imperial system for measurements. It's mixed, but I prefer the metric system, and would be much easier to remember.

Yea.. the number of countries left using imperial can almost be counted on one hand. With the USA being the only first world which isn't in transition from imperial to metric.

Pecks and bushels should not be measurements. That's all I have to say.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

I grew up in the US and have always learned and used the metric system. Some people stare blankly at me because they have no perspective of a kilometer, but I've always used it.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I grew up in the US and have always learned and used the metric system. Some people stare blankly at me because they have no perspective of a kilometer, but I've always used it.

A kilometer to me is something shorter slightly shorter than a mile. It at least gives me some perspective. :D

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

A kilometer to me is something shorter slightly shorter than a mile. It at least gives me some perspective. :D

1 mile is about 1600m.

Anyways, i've grown up with metric system. I do know the imperial system too, but i find the metric system a hell of a lot easier.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé