Holiday Events fun? or used advertisment purposes??

kill2pleasure

Holiday event! We always look forward to them as a time where we can get a cool emote and a whacky item. But somethiong is fishy about them...

Events lately have been seeming to give free players member-like features, Such as f2pers are able to hunt implings Similar to Doing Impetious(sp?) Impulses.

Last year in easter f2pers were able to summon a creature and have it attack

And in the event where we got the grim hood. f2pers were givin an agility course to complete. Training agility, another member feature

Is it just me? Or are these "Fun" Events made for advertisment. I mean alot of ppl log on to do these event so they don't have the blank icons and items.

Post your thoughts

armahiltsigsk7.png

hiltbannerfd4.png

Killer3650.png

Killer3650.png

Home World: 99

Irc-Chat: #Aod

Now that you mention it... it does seem like Jagex has been using events as advertisements. Funny, considering they just removed Gnomecopters for that very reason... This... is irksome. So:

SHARPEN YOUR PITCHFORKS AND LIGHT YOUR TORCHES!!! LET'S GO MOB LYNCH JAGEX!!!

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

It's probably a combination of that and the fact that they want to use members features in holiday events for the members, and they don't need to make a second version for f2p in order to leave those aspects out of it.

Personally, I dislike the holiday events. They take too long. Where's my santa handing out yoyos when you had to do nothing but talk to him? Really. I don't want to spend an hour painting baubles.

It's probably a combination of that and the fact that they want to use members features in holiday events for the members, and they don't need to make a second version for f2p in order to leave those aspects out of it.

Personally, I dislike the holiday events. They take too long. Where's my santa handing out yoyos when you had to do nothing but talk to him? Really. I don't want to spend an hour painting baubles.

+1 hehe

armahiltsigsk7.png

hiltbannerfd4.png

Killer3650.png

Killer3650.png

Home World: 99

Irc-Chat: #Aod

+1 hehe

Umm the holiday events take like 15 minutes if you know what you are doing.

+1 hehe

Umm the holiday events take like 15 minutes if you know what you are doing.

I was exaggerating, and I actually beg to differ. I can clearly remember running around painting baubles for an hour one year to get those god damn hats and the puppet that nobody cares about. Or the first easter event with the tunnels (egg ring, i think), was extremely long too.

I should think its more to do with the fact events are unviersal.

Limit an event to f2p only skills and features and you're gonna find that 90% of p2pers whine and moan that is pathetic and easy and doesn't involve any of the good stuff

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Limit an event to f2p only skills and features and you're gonna find that 90% of p2pers whine and moan that is pathetic and easy and doesn't involve any of the good stuff

:thumbup:

Good point.

No F2P player is going to complain that they get to experience what Hunting is like (in the case of this latest event), or any other member skill -- it'd only be the members who would complain if the holiday events were limited to F2P skills.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Good point.

No F2P player is going to complain that they get to experience what Hunting is like (in the case of this latest event), or any other member skill -- it'd only be the members who would complain if the holiday events were limited to F2P skills.

thats a very good point but i also think its linked in with the whole advertising thing.

i mean they could always do with more memebers.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

Good point.

thats a very good point but i also think its linked in with the whole advertising thing.

F2P is one big advertisement imo, but yeah. I think the reason member skills are involved is so everyones happy.

tipit_grid1.png

2,274th person to 99 mining

I've never thought about in a way of Jagex trying to get more money from there players, or "advertising" but yeah, i'm now once again a member after about a 2-3 months break from runescape.. but when you think about it they also do it for the enjoyment purposes so i suppose it all good :thumbsup:

blogsignature.png

Click my signature for my blog!

Good point.

F2P is one big advertisement imo, but yeah. I think the reason member skills are involved is so everyones happy.

What we should be looking for really is originality. That means we don't have to use a F2P or P2P skill to get what we need done; there should be a more creative method of completing a task. In the case of Diango's workshop, there is no painting skill per se, and it's a fresh introduction to the game, instead of making use of Summoning or Hunting.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

From what I've been seeing on these very forums, 90% of everyone has been whining and moaning about how pathetic and easy this event was anyway. Kind of makes you wonder why Jagex bothers to do the events at all.

It does seem suspicious that Jagex would keep using members skills in the holiday events. Perhaps their intention is not to "advertise" to the F2P community, but rather to allow us to experience something that most will never get to. I myself am not a member, and I can assure you that I'm not about to become one just because they put a taste of a member's skill in a holiday event. Frankly, imp catching wasn't that much fun.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Duh, I would do the same.

The imp catching was so-so, but I did like that one year when we got to bowl for chocolate kebbits. I actually loved doing that. I don't mind if these events are meant to be advertisement. They always put me into a holiday cheer because I remember past events that I partook in with friends. Even though they no longer play Runescape, I think back to those times with each new holiday event that is released. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

ZOMG Subliminal Conspiracy! Teh Jagex tryin to empty mah wallet!!!!!!1111 :uhh: [/spasm]

I doubt F2P players are going to be persuaded by implings. \'

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

What I wanna know is what do Easter implings steal.

Jagex could always do something really hard for holiday events if they wanted to advertise. One that takes hours to complete. Like a mini temple of light, beam maze. I could so imagine that for Christmas. On that note: I hate Christmas events with a passion.

99% of runescape is filled with whiners. If they didn't include members skills then members would complain it's just boring and f2p would complain they don't see anything new.

I don't think it's fair to claim the Agility course that the Grim Reaper had in his house as an advertisment. If you look back in the polls, you will find that the house idea was one of numerous which JaGex gave you as a player the opportunity to select in a Garunteed Content Poll.

So if you want to blame for advertising in that way, blame whoever voted for it.

(Seriously though, who has an Agility course in their house?)

EDIT - there were 5 options in the poll

They were;

The Grim Reaper owns a spooky House of Horror, in which he has placed you. Can you pass the traps and scares? > 33% (86976 votes)

Hordes of Halloween creatures are overwhelming the Grim Reaper. Can you hold them back, using specially designed items? > 31% (81117 votes)

The Grim Reaper has created an arena for trick or treaters to be naughty or nice. Which will you be? > 24% (63851 votes)

The Grim Reaper is bored and needs entertaining. Can your dance moves keep his spirits high? > 8% (20380 votes)

The Grim Reaper has an area set aside filled with toxic creatures. Can you get past them without making contact and taking a turn for the worse? > 5% (12853 votes)

2v8sgvs.png