Merchant clans, good or bad???

ford_landau

Hey I am about 1month away from achieving 99farming (currently 95)

and I am just finding it impossible to buy yew or magic seeds for my farming,furthermore i cant get hold of any bunyips for my day to day slaying.

In all, its making my runescape experience alot less enjoyable.

I have no problem with "old school merchants" that would take risk etc, but these new merchant clans are controlling the economy way to much IMO and i find i cant do things i could do say 1month ago.

sure, im going to be frowned upon in replies, people will tell me to "make my own bunyips, and get my own seeds", however i have my own reasons for not wanting to do those things. I can be self sufficient if i want, however i dont get much time to runey and when i do, i want to be slaying monsters and doing farm runs, not obtaining seeds and training summoning.

you can see that i obviously do not like the impacts of merching clans. what are your thoughts, do they do any good for the game?

also im buying all bunyips and yew seeds :) please sell to me, they will be going to a good cause (yummy 99s), not a merch clan.

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

Merchanting clans are illegal.

No, the aren't. They're unethical, but not illegal (if they were against the rules, all the leaders would have been banned by now and there wouldn't be any left).

Also, even though I don't support merchanting clans (price manipulation really should be a bannable offence, in my opinion), i would like to state that there is a risk in joining one (or more): anyone who misses the dump time (or, I should say, doesn't dump early) is going to be left with a bunch of junk that won't sell until prices have dropped back down to, or possibly past, the price they were at when the merchant clan first started buying them. The ones who aren't taking the risks are the dishonest members who always dump early.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

They're a pyramid scam. It gonna take a while for idiots to realize that they are getting screwd over by the leaders that dump before them and scam em'.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

There's just no good way to catch price manipulators from people who are not deceiving others while merchanting.

I agree it may be annoying in the short term trying to buy bought out items, and I also dislike how easy it is to control the market on a few items, but I don't think they're an immediate threat.

2496 Completionist

Good. It gives us something to talk about.

Besides that.

Bad, because whenever theres an item I need, commonly armor/robes for slaying or to work on a skill, theres always some clan who causes the price to go so high, i pay x2 what its worth, and after im done using it all the price has dropped or finding the item itself is like a needle in a haystack. If im right theres a User here somewhere who's head of a, and I state this 100% from his signature, "Leader of [blah] Price Manipulators Clan". Each time I see him i feel like jumping through a monitor, finding him and slap him senseless with a school bag full of 5c coins. -.-

Popoto.~<3

Good. It gives us something to talk about.

Besides that.

Bad, because whenever theres an item I need, commonly armor/robes for slaying or to work on a skill, theres always some clan who causes the price to go so high, i pay x2 what its worth, and after im done using it all the price has dropped or finding the item itself is like a needle in a haystack. If im right theres a User here somewhere who's head of a, and I state this 100% from his signature, "Leader of [blah] Price Manipulators Clan". Each time I see him i feel like jumping through a monitor, finding him and slap him senseless with a school bag full of 5c coins. -.-

try socks full of rocks

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

There good. They punish people who care about their geepees by making them freak out when they see a 20gp increase in their rune plate. If people just held onto their items and stopped trying to make money off of everything merchant clans would disappear. The only reason they exist is because their are idiots who freak out when they see a GE graph of an item falling or rising.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

They're stupid, make things hard for players who just want their items, and scam eachother in the clan. Pathetic.

There good. They punish people who care about their geepees by making them freak out when they see a 20gp increase in their rune plate. If people just held onto their items and stopped trying to make money off of everything merchant clans would disappear. The only reason they exist is because their are idiots who freak out when they see a GE graph of an item falling or rising.

It's more than just a "20 gp" increase. It's K's upon K's usually. Look at Karil's leathertop. Used to be what, 300k? Now it's 1.1m... And quite frankly I don't care if an item rises or falls, but if it's several hundred thousand gp's over what it should be, I will care.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

I'm not a fan. If you can't merchant by yourself, you shouldn't be merching at all.

As for the people saying it's a scam, you are only partly right.

It usually involves the clan making a small amount of profit, and the leader making a huge amount. After all, if the members made no profit at all, why would they stick around?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

My point remains. If people kept their items instead of always trying to sell them back for a profit this wouldn't happen. And if you say "Well I only needed the armor for one slayer task so then I sold it back" then you should just borrow it from someone. Merchanting clans only effect people who are trying to merchant themselves.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

There's just no good way to catch price manipulators from people who are not deceiving others while merchanting.

There might not be a good way to ban everyone who's involved, but it would be quite simple to ban the leaders of merchant clans. All Jagex would have to do is change the rules and put out an ultimatum: "All merchant clans have x days to stop all operations. Anyone who is found leading a merchant clan after this time has passed will receive an immediate permanent ban."

After Jagex has banned a few extremely wealthy merchant clan leaders (if any continue to operate, that is) to show that they're serious, I doubt anyone (with any significant stats and/or bank value) would dare try again.

@ fat klutz: What you say is (mostly) true (the bit about people freaking out over a 20 gp increase is quite extreme). However, you forget that it is human nature to always want to be better than others (whether that means being richer or being 'more ethical' doesn't matter; everyone wants to have the upper hand at something). As such, what you propose will never happen without direct intervention on Jagex' part.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Horrible... Seriously, all this up and down in the graphs, and not being able to buy items you're actually going to USE is annoying. These people just want to make useless pixel money that they'll never use for anything except getting more pixel money. -.-

Blakdragon39.png

No noob, they ruin things for people who just want to buy things for their day to day jobs. I don't give a [cabbage] about the price of Dragon plates, I give a [cabbage] about not being able to buy, for example, seeds because some [bleep]ing merch clan is buying them up.

That has [bleep] all to do with GE graphs.

They're [bleep]ing disgraceful and scummy, like these corrupt people in real life that screw up the economy for a few extra irl so called 'geepee's.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

My point remains. If people kept their items instead of always trying to sell them back for a profit this wouldn't happen. And if you say "Well I only needed the armor for one slayer task so then I sold it back" then you should just borrow it from someone. Merchanting clans only effect people who are trying to merchant themselves.

Except in my case, I use torags platelegs for training, Good Luck getting that item for a loan. And your also wrong about how its our fault, they Merchant in groups to cause a large scale of price rise, then dump it. WE are merely the players who are unfortunate enough to get caught in it. Besides, I always sell my stuff after use.

Popoto.~<3

I'm a bit of a packrat (my bank hasn't been below 450 in a very long time) so I don't have too much trouble with merch clans. I have had trouble buying a few things things that I've really needed though, like a rune piece for a clue scroll for example.

Anyway, I think they're utterly despicable, and I don't understand why they're not getting banned. As far as I'm aware Jagex has said merchanting is fine, but manipulation is against the rules. I really wish they would start doing something about it. Or at least add it the reportable offenses.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

No noob, they ruin things for people who just want to buy things for their day to day jobs. I don't give a [cabbage] about the price of Dragon plates, I give a [cabbage] about not being able to buy, for example, seeds because some [bleep] merch clan is buying them up.

They're [bleep] disgraceful and scummy, like these corrupt people in real life that screw up the economy for a few extra irl so called 'geepee's.

How are they disgraceful and scummy? Allthough i dont particularily like them, i think your being too harsh. They want to earn some gp. Does it make them that bad because you have to wait another day or two to buy a seed? You are taking Runescape way to seriously. I don't like them either but are they really that bad? And you guys are overestimating the power of merchanting clans. Its not like they can do 20 different items at once.

No noob, they ruin things for people who just want to buy things for their day to day jobs. I don't give a [cabbage] about the price of Dragon plates, I give a [cabbage] about not being able to buy, for example, seeds because some [bleep] merch clan is buying them up.

They're [bleep] disgraceful and scummy, like these corrupt people in real life that screw up the economy for a few extra irl so called 'geepee's.

How are they disgraceful and scummy? Allthough i dont particularily like them, i think your being too harsh. They want to earn some gp. Does it make them that bad because you have to wait another day or two to buy a seed? You are taking Runescape way to seriously. I don't like them either but are they really that bad? And you guys are overestimating the power of merchanting clans. Its not like they can do 20 different items at once.

It's not that it's hard to buy items - it's that the items are suddenly way more expensive than they used to be. Look at the Magic Seed graph now, and ask yourself when they managed to even cross 200K.

Plus, I agree that most merchanting clans probably focus their energy into like one or two items, but do remember that there really are a bunch of these clans running about.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

[hide=]

It's not that it's hard to buy items - it's that the items are suddenly way more expensive than they used to be. Look at the Magic Seed graph now, and ask yourself when they managed to even cross 200K.

Plus, I agree that most merchanting clans probably focus their energy into like one or two items, but do remember that there really are a bunch of these clans running about.

[/hide]

It's really alot more than a "bunch" if you go to world 2 you'll see atleast 5-6 people advertising these clans and then usually 1 or 2 people on other worlds. Hopefully something will be done because it's getting stupid.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

It's scummy because they knowingly damage the RS economy for their own profit. In real life the practice is illegal, and you can go to jail for it. And yeh there are enough of these clans to buy out a lot of items.

[hide]

[/hide]

It's ruining the experience for people - I don't pay to play Runescape so I can be conned online just like I am irl. They're taking advantage of people. There are far more legitimate ways to get money that doesn't involve taking money from others.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].