The Anti "Purpose of Life" Arguement

l0rd

Nature is a sociopathic rampant uncontrollable beast spitting out products left and right. One of its regurgitates happens to be life.

As a living thing, we have strived to find a purpose in our existence, thus the question of the purpose of us existing arises.

Why must we have a purpose? Can we just not live life, and be happy (or sad) with the fact that we have a chance to do so?

Philosophers have dived into the dark, searching for an illusive key, unlocking all the secrets to our existence for thousands of years. This in turn sprouts religion.

I believe there is no purpose to life, quit simply. We only create one for ourselves by perceiving the world around us. Prove me wrong, share thoughts, etc.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Life is there, simply, to live. It's not more complex than that. We live to just live.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I like to think there's a reason. Mainly because I've been reading too many books and watching too many movies where there are some sort of heroes that live amazingly. But, still, it's a nice thought that there's some reason to the chaos. Never really a major thought on my mind, though.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Purpose doesn't exist. It's something we made up, so of course it cannot be applied to everything. "What is the purpose of blue?" It doesn't work that way.

That's not to say you can't create your own purpose to living, but there is no such thing as a universal purpose to life.

Seeing as every agrees, I don't see much discussion value. Ah, its just like we're all sitting in a circle agreeing with each other - intellectual masturbation.

I'm tired.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

You can argue that live is just live.

But that what religion was made for, to give life a purpose. Back in the day when uneducated people though that thunder was a way of God expressing displeasure, they believed they only existed to please what could kill them. And if done enough they get rewarded.

The purpose of life? To please whoever going to judge your life.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

What do you mean? I thought we were here to create plastic?

Anyway life having no purpose... maybe but no life is created without purpose.

Ahhh yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbFD4NC60EA

5:20 - This is the sole reason why humans are put on earth.

I'm glad someone got that.

What do you mean? I thought we were here to create plastic?

Anyway life having no purpose... maybe but no life is created without purpose.

I was hoping no one else would pick up on it. Gotta love George.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Like others have already said, there is no universal pre-set purpose to life. However, the way I see it, life for us is the biggest opportunity of all - and it's up to us to take advantage of that opportunity. And by take advantage of it, I mean we need to figure out on an individual level what our purpose is, as well as figure it out on a larger, more global scale.

Personally, I believe one purpose of ours as a whole should be to find/develop a way to live longer/healthier lives. At the same time, we need to be exploring new areas and developing new technologies that allow us to occupy these areas - whether it be building in bodies of water, underwater entirely, underground, or even on the moon. Once humanity as a whole gets a better grip on the disease problem, the global population will increase at a much faster rate than it is now (provided no other variables have a major impact on the population - such as violence/war or natural disasters) and we will eventually run out of the land that we currently deem suitable. Also, this can be said for any non-renewable resource...that we need to develop solutions to the potential problems that lie ahead.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Life is there, simply, to live. It's not more complex than that. We live to just live.
This.

I don't why why and I don't believe I ever will know the meaning of life, and I'm quite content with that.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

There is no meaning or purpose. All we can do--all we do do--is to seek happiness. The purpose of life is to enjoy it while you can; the only genuine goal for leaders is to try and make as many people as happy as possible for as long as possible. No God, no morals, no purpose.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

furtherance of the human race

Agreed.

Though this is a man-made purpose, in agreement with the rest of the thread.

We exist to perpetuate ourselves. And when we gather in groups and have a species identity, that existence increases in magnitude to 'perpetuate the species'.

And then ever-broader: 'perpetuate sentience--sapience'.

And so on.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Nature is a sociopathic rampant uncontrollable beast spitting out products left and right. One of its regurgitates happens to be life.

And lightning! Can't forget lightning.

We're here to live, that's that. We don't have to enjoy ourselves while we do it, either. We're just here, like a 6th toe. No purpose, but no real reason to get rid of it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Sorry if I'm wrong, but did you get that from me, I quoted that sometime back on a similar thread.

To the OP, I suggest you read The Myth Of Sisyphus, by Camus if you find this topic interesting.

Still, what I hate is the "whys" in our life. There is the sun, the moon, the stars. All held up in the sky by gravity. But we still don't know WHY gravity exists and act the way it does. and the most simple forumla can explain it. Why does the sun exists, WHY does it burn hydrogen and helium.

Personally I believe [cabbage] just happens.

EDIT:

We're just here, like a 6th toe. No purpose, but no real reason to get rid of it.

- touching and concise pragmatism. Where do you come up with these things ?

The purpose of life is what ever you make it to be. Therefore there really is no purpose and if there is no purpose then it is pointless. So life is pointless and it doesn't matter if we all die tomorrow... I really couldn't care less ::'

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010