Swine flu virus

Zygimantas

Waaaay over-exaggerated (sp).

Agreed, The media made it seem like it was the next Spanish Flu. (For those who don't know what the Spanish Flu was, it was a influenza after WW1 that killed 40-60 million people globally.)

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=]
As of tomorrow I'm on a mission to get infected or at least help the chances of Swine flu spreading.

It's just 2 weeks away to my AS level exams so I better start moving if I want them to shut down the college.

I don't see why you would even joke about that. :|

Because exams aren't the most important thing in the world and pandemics are quite funny imo.

http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/pandemic_2 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[/hide]

Way to complex for me. (I didnt do the tutorial :lol: )

THIS is what I call the Swine Flu Game. :mrgreen:

http://www.miniclip.com/games/sneeze/en/

Got to level 9 before I stopped. :P

Over to serious Den.

Here is a nice map I found from a link on the google maps.

Needed a new one since they stopped updating the first one.

Confirmed case in sweden and denmark, Norway is next. :ohnoes:

http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

Help to prevent the spread of the swine flu by catching your sneezes with a tissue and then washing your hands.

This educational software/game illustrates the consequences of allowing the flu to spread in an interactive graphical simulation. It is intended to inform people of the reasons to take measures that will help prevent further spreading of the flu. Funded by the biomedical research charity, WellcomeTrust.ac.uk

This educational software/game illustrates the consequences of allowing the flu to spread in an interactive graphical simulation.

This educational software/game

educational

-.-

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Agreed, The media made it seem like it was the next Spanish Flu. (For those who don't know what the Spanish Flu was, it was a influenza after WW1 that killed 40-60 million people globally.)

Unless they explicitly stated that "this is going to be the next Spanish flu", then no, I disagree. It seems people can't judge uncertainty and speculation in the media properly. Scientists are uncertain about how bad it will be so there is some speculation.

Spanish Flu was H1N1 too, right?

Oh, hopefully we who have survived have developed a resistance to it. I'll keep looking at New Scientist articles in the meantime.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

There's been quite a few cases in London, most notably 9, I believe, confirmed cases at a school in Dulwich, and everyone who could have come into contact with the virus has been issued with Tamiflu and advised to stay at home, to reduce spread of the virus.

I was wondering if it doesn't seem logical that we actually want people to contract swine flu now in England, while it's a mild disease and easily recovered from, and we know it'll kill practically no-one? (I know things are different in Mexico though). That way we'll be so much better prepared if and when it returns in six months time, and I've heard it'll be much more serious then. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Unless they explicitly stated that "this is going to be the next Spanish flu", then no, I disagree. It seems people can't judge uncertainty and speculation in the media properly. Scientists are uncertain about how bad it will be so there is some speculation.

I agree. Why do "you" always have to jump to the conclusion that the media is spreading fear and inducing panic. The reporting here in Australia, so far has been accurate and honest. Blaming everything on the "media", the term "media" itself has been so perverted - I don't even know what circles it refers to but, again, as I was saying, blaming everything on the media has become a 21st century trademark / platitude because some people simply cannot or refuse to educate themselves.

From what I've heard and read, the reason that H1N1 or "Swine Flu" is so much more infectious and "deadly" compared to it's Avian Cousin, H5N1, is because, the proteins covering the membrane of the virus are radically different to ordinary, and more common flus making it difficult for the body's immune system to recognise this specific pathogen. Also, it's genetic make up also makes it easier tp pass information which makes human-to-human transfer much more easier. So, it contains elements of the Avian Flu aswell as a new strain of flu.

So yeah.

\\ EDIT:

Aw, [cabbage]. In the time I took to write this response two people responded. As always, damn you OT.

Actually I watched the news one day and they did say that...

^ That is how rumors are started.

No i'm serious, it actually said that. By that time I had already figured the media was blowing it way out of proportion though so I didn't believe it anyway.

And because the Media is just a bunch Of Fear mongers, and the Swine flu has the same scientific naming for the Spanish flu...

Spanish flu was H1N1 and this one is is also H1N1...

Go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 if you don't believe what I mean...make sure you read it too...

And because the Media is just a bunch Of Fear mongers, and the Swine flu has the same scientific naming for the Spanish flu...

Spanish flu was H1N1 and this one is is also H1N1...

Go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 if you don't believe what I mean...make sure you read it too...

the seasonal flu is also H1N1, and swine flu is hardly more deadly than the seaonal flu. people are just overhyping the situation, it'll probably die down with the flu season and by next year they'll have developed a vaccine aganist it. also its hardly a pandemic.

bedce0cd19.png

How is this thread still going on? Everyone and their dog has something to say or some rumor to spread about swine flu. Don't get your news or panic from CNN or the kids at school, ask a doctor or a Microbiologist and see what they say about it.

*Hint* They aren't worried. The fall swing this year will be worse than usual, but that just means get a vaccine this summer (this years flu vaccine will include h1n1)

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Source:

http://bouncewith.me.uk/europe/8027043.htm

H1N1 has mutated to H1Z1 in London and has the ability to restart the hearts of those who are already dead, causing them to live for at most 2 hours in a very violent state. Zombies are real. I didn't care about swine flu until now.

NOW

I'm scared.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Source:

H1N1 has mutated to H1Z1 in London and has the ability to restart the hearts of those who are already dead, causing them to live for at most 2 hours in a very violent state. Zombies are real. I didn't care about swine flu until now.

NOW

I'm scared.

Already posted. You fail.

Source:

NOW

I'm scared.

H1Z1, lolololol.

Besides, if you want to post a fake repeat of BBC News article, don't have the link say "bouncewith.me.uk".

Source:

NOW

I'm scared.

Fail. You could have at least have hidden the URL in the link. H1Z1, lol.

At the moment, my school is now putting up posters about how to catch and bin sneezes and stuff. I assume that all schools are being told to do the same thing. Still, Swine Flu seems to be on the lower end of the deadliness scale amongst pandemics. It's not too bad, it might kill off a few people who were at the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

So what is the current fatalitly ratio? In canada, over 100 cases (i think)and one death, about about 1:100 chance of dying.

I feel safer :lol:

I'm more worried about the swine flu when it comes back in 6 months :?

Yeah I was gonna say, don't we kinda all want to get it now, recover, and have immunity to it, so we're better prepared when it's mutated and comes back in the winter?

I'm more worried about the swine flu when it comes back in 6 months :?

Yeah I was gonna say, don't we kinda all want to get it now, recover, and have immunity to it, so we're better prepared when it's mutated and comes back in the winter?

The way the Flu and Common Cold viruses mutate make it impossible for us to be immune, there is so many differences between one cold virus and another, that while they have the same symptoms, they do not have the same genetic makeup, making it almost impossible for humans to be immune.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Yeah, that was it.

It's also different from the "Chicken pox parties" of old, because with that you just have one kid with chicken pox happily mucking about with the rest. Here you just have some sickly guy with the runs coughing on everyone.

[English translation needed]

Actually, those "Pox Parties" were because parents want their children immune, as it poses a much bigger problem in later life, if I remember my facts correctly.

yes, you remembered correctly. chicken pox, AFAIK, can kill adults but has little to no chance of harming a child

i have a cold/flu and my bro keeps saying i have swine flu. then insinuated that my best friend was a pig, and that is where i got said virus

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Actually, those "Pox Parties" were because parents want their children immune, as it poses a much bigger problem in later life, if I remember my facts correctly.

yes, you remembered correctly. chicken pox, AFAIK, can kill adults but has little to no chance of harming a child

But chicken pox can also come back later in the life as it is a viral infection (herpes).

I think Varicella is the primary infection that causes chickenpox, but it can come back as Herpes zoster, which causes shingles. Both are much worse in adults.

sigh.png