Harry Potter vs. Twilight

IeatWindex

Me and my girlfriend got into the topic of Harry Potter and she of course supports Twilight, while I believe Harry Potter is the better book series/movie series.

I'd like to hear others opinions on what they think and...

Harry Potter Pro's:

Very Creative

Written well

Appeals to Many ages

Harry Potter Con's:

Epilogue of HP and the Deathly Hallows quite cliche

Can't think of anymore, anyone feel free to give me some more

Twilight's Pro's and Cons (anyone wish to fill this out?)

Now which looks cooler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8XyRb1DT8New Moon (2009)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96QRVfto7OM

GG.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if it was an open choice, I'd choose the Eragon series based on the books. Haven't seen the movie and don't care to.

Anyways, I feel that the Harry Potter books are an ok read, but not anything special. The movies, however are quite interesting. As for Twilight I have neither read the books or saw the movie. My sister has both read the books and watched the movies. I believe she prefers the books, but she's not here so I can't ask.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Vampires are cliche. Thanks to all the randumb hardcore kids that talk about pirates, ninjas, and vampires I hate anything that has to do with any of the three.

Anyways, I feel that the Harry Potter books are an ok read, but not anything special.

Harry Potter is a magical read.

Vampires are cliche. Thanks to all the randumb hardcore kids, I hate anything that has to do with vampires.

Anyways, I feel that the Harry Potter books are an ok read, but not anything special.

Harry Potter is a magical read.

Haha magical and Harry Potter invloves magic..

I get it. =P~

GG.gif

Honestly they're both very good for different reasons. However they share on key feature: capturing the reader's imagination. Waking up one day to find that you're a wizard and discovering a whole new magical world is pretty damn awesome, as is being an ageless vampire with awesome powers.

Personally I prefer Harry Potter at the moment, but then the difference is I've read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the films, wheras I've only seen the Twilight film, and even though I found it very good, everyone says the books are far better than the film. Sounds to me like they're both pretty awesome.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Twilight Cons:

Classic mary-sue story

Vampires don't sparkle.

It's badly written

Excessive thesaurus use. It's ok to use the word 'said' once in a while

Characters have no real depth, are defined only by a few cliche personality traits

Author lives out her fantasies in a book.

Storyline is [bleep]ing stupid.

Author is a Mormon, and puts some of their stupid policies into the book.

Twilight Pros

-

Also the twilight movie was awful.

Oh, and I got attacked by two other girls because I said twilight wasn't a good book. Literally. What the [bleep].

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I've read both series completely, and in all honesty, I'm not sure which is better. Twilight is pretty good, minus the writing. Great storytelling, really. Many cliches, though. Bad character development as well.

Harry Potter is great in writing and such, good plotline. If I had to pick between the two, though, Harry Potter.

Twilight Cons:

Classic mary-sue story

Vampires don't sparkle.

It's badly written

Characters have no real depth, are defined only by a few cliche personality traits

Storyline is [bleep] stupid.

Twilight Pros

-

Oh, and I got attacked by two other girls because I said twilight wasn't a good book. Literally. What the [bleep].

Oh my [bleep]ing God THANK YOU! Im tempted to print this out and show every Twilight lover this.

GG.gif

Twilight Cons:

Classic mary-sue story

Vampires don't sparkle.

It's badly written

Twilight Pros

-

Oh my [bleep] God THANK YOU! Im tempted to print this out and show every Twilight lover this.

Tried and failed many times.

Twilight Cons:

Classic mary-sue story

Vampires don't sparkle.

It's badly written

Twilight Pros

-

Oh my [bleep] God THANK YOU! Im tempted to print this out and show every Twilight lover this.

Sums up what I think ^

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Darren Shan - Cirque Du Freak series > both.

Those ARE good! :shock:

I didn't read them as they came out but just read them all in one go, was awesome! :D

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Twilight Cons:

Classic mary-sue story

Vampires don't sparkle.

It's badly written

Twilight Pros

-

Sums up what I think ^

Incredible.

GG.gif

Personally I haven't read the twilight books, and honestly I don't plan on it, the fan girls alone are enough to put me off. I enjoyed the Harry Potter series though, that gets my vote.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

Harry Potter, written well? Blah said this. Blah#2 said that. Blah#3 says...for a 7th grader, maybe.

Either way, you're comparing a love story to a large world of good vs. evil. I cannot phantom how you can connect them in any way...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Do I need to choke a [bleep]?

Harry potter obviously. I've been extensively involved with the fandom, but even putting that aside, Twilight is disgusting. JK's writing isn't amazing, but it's far FAR better than Stephanie wannabe-whatever-her-name. You don't even need to LIKE Harry Potter to think it's better than Twilight... seriously. :wall: :wall: :wall:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I really, really, really, really wish people would stop trying to compare the two. It's comparing apples to oranges, or rather, a ripe apple to an onion that has been sitting out in the sun and started sprouting little white hairs.

Harry Potter is the apple. It's an original take on classic concepts with a solid foundation of good characters and plot, tied together by solid prose--not exceptional, but it gets the job done without getting obnoxiously in your face.

Twilight is the onion. It's an attempt at an original take at a classic concept that instead rapes it by giving vampires sparkling skin and a tendency to feed on animals so they don't have to feed on humans. The characters are not characters but puppets, with Meyer pulling the strings as they act out her fantasies of having an "epic romance" with a sparkling super-powered dude--for really, calling them vampires is pointless. Add random contrived plots to give the books a false veneer of actually having a point beyond being drawn-out cuddle fests, and you have an open, bleeding sore on the face of contemporary fiction.

So instead of trying to compare Harry Potter to Twilight, throw the damn onion out.

p2gq.jpg

Harry Potter > Emo romance story thing.

Vampires=over glorified zombies.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

Meh, people are always going to compare them as they are "popular" teen fiction.

I haven't read Twilight, and I don't intend to, normally, I don't listen to reviews, I base it upon whether it seems interesting to me (hence most of my CDs and some games), but in this case, I've read some reviews, and the negative ones seem to paint a better picture.

Sorry, but Twilight is a romance novel for young teenage girls, its not designed to appeal to me.

But I'm going to agree with N0M on the whole raping of vampires. If she has done her research on them, then the 30 minutes I did is probably giving me the same information. She took one element of folklore, and made the vampires focus on that, namely that a sign of a vampire was dead cattle. However, in folklore, they were disgusting, bloated (after feeding) creatures, she's totally raped that part and left it to die. She didn't do vampires, she made her own creature that feeds on animal blood.

This is like comparing Harry Potter to LoTR, despite how much (in my view) that Deathly Hallows tried to be LoTR, it failed in the end. The Harry Potter series was good, however, I felt a little let down with the last book. Too much time spent in the forests moving about, thinking over how pointless their items left by Dumbledore were etc... and how they could possibly help.

So to put it across, they are both teen fiction, though are completely different genres. JK done a rather good series of fantasy books, and, they remained fairly good throughout the series. Meyer has created a romance story for 13 year old girls who still dream of their perfect man as the metaphorical "White Knight". From what I have heard, Meyer has barely created characters, and used a basis in reality for her world. JK has made her own world outside of ours, I mean it has magic, and uses mythology, and some folklore accurately.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Harry potter

Twilight is just the day dreams of a fat girl who everybody hates.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff